CONNACHT FINAL ROS v SLIGO 18th July 2010

Started by Rossfan, June 28, 2010, 08:42:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

diehard

It would be extremely foolish to underestimate Ros.  Football is a funny business and anything can happen on a given day.  I reckon Ros are planning a serious ambush.  If ever I saw a team set up for a nasty surprise it is Sligo. Nothing against the Rossies but I hope Sligo get a good run this year.

SLIGONIAN

Look lads, i'll say it again Roscommon have a chance imo. We have weaknesses but ye have more, we have more quality, and imo its simple, we have to match the workrate and intensity of the galway game, if not we could be in trouble. I have to trust that the players wont let us down, so im confident of a Sligo win, as I was in the last 3 games, but not over confident.

The thing i dont get is the lazy analysis, roscommon planning a serious ambush, well duh, everyone said after the NFL div 1 final mayo wounded animal and poor Sligo to be slain, After the draw to Galway, Sligo missed the boat, etc.... the Sligo team and management will in no way underestimate Roscommon, no fcking way, so get over it.

Are people that retarded to think mayo and galway were walkovers for us? Longford beat mayo but they were alot worse than against us, look at galway today compared too last week, today had no intensity, when a team like galway or mayo lose to Sligo, they lose a severe amount of confidence and thus played alot worse the week after because both hadnt recovered mentally.

If we are honest Roscommon have shown us what exactly at senior this yr? Sligo have bascially won 6 championship matches and drawn 1 this yr, weve shown consistency and strength in depth. Even if Roscommon were to rattle us we still have options on the bench. Patience like the league game maybe the key to our success.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

Shrewdness

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on July 10, 2010, 11:30:58 PM
Look lads, i'll say it again Roscommon have a chance imo. We have weaknesses but ye have more, we have more quality, and imo its simple, we have to match the workrate and intensity of the galway game, if not we could be in trouble. I have to trust that the players wont let us down, so im confident of a Sligo win, as I was in the last 3 games, but not over confident.

The thing i dont get is the lazy analysis, roscommon planning a serious ambush, well duh, everyone said after the NFL div 1 final mayo wounded animal and poor Sligo to be slain, After the draw to Galway, Sligo missed the boat, etc.... the Sligo team and management will in no way underestimate Roscommon, no fcking way, so get over it.

Are people that retarded to think mayo and galway were walkovers for us? Longford beat mayo but they were alot worse than against us, look at galway today compared too last week, today had no intensity, when a team like galway or mayo lose to Sligo, they lose a severe amount of confidence and thus played alot worse the week after because both hadnt recovered mentally.

If we are honest Roscommon have shown us what exactly at senior this yr? Sligo have bascially won 6 championship matches and drawn 1 this yr, weve shown consistency and strength in depth. Even if Roscommon were to rattle us we still have options on the bench. Patience like the league game maybe the key to our success.

Sligonian, not for the first time, i find your comments a little bit annoying.

First of all, the context in which you used the word ''retarded'' was a disgrace. That word has a bigger and more significant meaning in the real world for a lot of people.
Nobody said that beating Galway and Mayo was a walkover for Sligo. I only pointed out that they beat poorer than normal Galway and Mayo teams. Even Mayo and Galway people will tell you that.

You said that Sligo have ''basically '' won 6 championship matches and drawn one this year :o :o :o
Utter rubbish.
Ye've won 2 championship matches!!!!! If you think that beating Roscommon's second team in the league last April was a ''championship'' game, you've got a big shock coming next week.
Sligo may well win, but i don't think this Ros team is going down without a fight.

You should prepare yourself for the prospect of possible defeat. I was talking to a friend today from the Coolera/Strandhill club who told me about a mother and father of 2 young kids who enquired if the trophy for the Connacht Championship would be available for the public to view on the day after the game.
They want the kids photographed with it.

He told them in no uncertain terms to promise the kids nothing of the sort, and not to count their chickens.

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: Shrewdness on July 11, 2010, 12:30:11 AM
Quote from: SLIGONIAN on July 10, 2010, 11:30:58 PM

Sligonian, not for the first time, i find your comments a little bit annoying.

First of all, the context in which you used the word ''retarded'' was a disgrace. That word has a bigger and more significant meaning in the real world for a lot of people.
Nobody said that beating Galway and Mayo was a walkover for Sligo. I only pointed out that they beat poorer than normal Galway and Mayo teams. Even Mayo and Galway people will tell you that.

You said that Sligo have ''basically '' won 6 championship matches and drawn one this year :o :o :o
Utter rubbish.
Ye've won 2 championship matches!!!!! If you think that beating Roscommon's second team in the league last April was a ''championship'' game, you've got a big shock coming next week.
Sligo may well win, but i don't think this Ros team is going down without a fight.

You should prepare yourself for the prospect of possible defeat. I was talking to a friend today from the Coolera/Strandhill club who told me about a mother and father of 2 young kids who enquired if the trophy for the Connacht Championship would be available for the public to view on the day after the game.
They want the kids photographed with it.

He told them in no uncertain terms to promise the kids nothing of the sort, and not to count their chickens.
I didnt exactly directly call anyone a retard. I merely asked a question? Are people.........On all forums Roscommon people are looking to be offended, I was called an arrogant p***k on Stolensheep, water off a ducks back. Making mountains out of mohils.

Sligos first target this yr was promotion, becuase we fcked up the start of the league we had to win all our remaining NFL games, the reference to championship were KEVIN WALSHS words not mine, so have it out with him, any post match interview he says those games prepared us big time as they were must win for us, championship style games where the pressure was on from within the squad.

Not sure i believe that story as it is ludicrious and they obviously havent a clue as there is no certainty in sport.

I still dont buy the galway were worse than normal. Its always the way when Sligo beat them, like in 07. Its insulting and downright disrespectful but nothing new.

Anyway in a few weeks we will be all the wiser.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

Shrewdness

Let's agree to disagree, and let the best team win.

Armaghgeddon

Sligo's downfall will be underestimating Roscommon. Granted they never had the hardest route however they will be up for a fight.

Sligo are a hard to team to figure out, although I don't want to take anything away from Sligo but they have beaten a rather poor Mayo team and were unlucky not to beat Galway in the first game, and were lucky to win the replay.

Roscommon although they were hammered by Mayo last year they did recover and beat Wexford who narrowly beat Galway yesterday. I just think that Connacht football is very rocky and there is no stand out team. Sligo will have a superiority complex against Roscommon which will bite them on the arse.

magpie seanie

Sligo (and by that I mean the people who mater - players/management) will not underestmate Roscommon one bit and I can guarantee you that. Its a red herring argument. Sligo are favourites due to results so far but that means nothing. Its just pub talk. Roscommon are more than capable of winning this game - anyone with an ounce of footall knowledge knows this. They have rakes of quality in their side. I feel we have a great chance of winning though, as I did in the last 3 games. We will need to play very, very well but I have faith in the management and players to produce whatever is necessary to get us over the line by a point and lift the cup.

ross4life

Having watched two huge underdogs (louth,Limerick) putting up great fight's where they could & should have won, i would be very disappointed if our boys are not at least competitive next weekend
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

Rossfan

We are written off by most and unmentioned in the media ( which will continue due to the Leinster Final business taking up most GAA space this week).
We have done nothing of note all year...except maybe batin Louth in the NFL. We conceded 2-20 to bloody Cavan.
Sligo have been doing mighty things ( esp according to Sligonian :D) all year and are roaring favourites.
However all that has happened to date in 2010 will count for nothing next Sunday. All that will count is what happens in McHale from 4 pm onwards.
We will be there and we will be giving it our almighty best shot as it's a last chance of a Conancht medal for the likes of  Mannion/Dunning/Finneran/Rogers/Woggie/Casey to name a few of the older lads who may not be around next year.
We'll see what that brings us on the day and take it from there.
I am not without hope but realistically we only have a slim chance but a chance nonetheless  ;)
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

BallyhaiseMan

Quote from: Rossfan on July 11, 2010, 08:07:06 PM
We are written off by most and unmentioned in the media ( which will continue due to the Leinster Final business taking up most GAA space this week).
We have done nothing of note all year...except maybe batin Louth in the NFL. We conceded 2-20 to bloody Cavan.
Sligo have been doing mighty things ( esp according to Sligonian :D) all year and are roaring favourites.
However all that has happened to date in 2010 will count for nothing next Sunday. All that will count is what happens in McHale from 4 pm onwards.
We will be there and we will be giving it our almighty best shot as it's a last chance of a Conancht medal for the likes of  Mannion/Dunning/Finneran/Rogers/Woggie/Casey to name a few of the older lads who may not be around next year.
I am not without hope but realistically we only have a slim chance but a chance nonetheless  ;)

Oi  >:(   :D
Looking back,how in gods name did that happen?
Rossies definetely have a chance,but this Sligo team has been so impressive so far that you would have to say should they perform, i fear they will be too good for ye.
It will be a huge step up in class for Roscommon having played two Division 4 teams in Leitrim and London previously,whats Roscommons record against Sligo like in championship RF?

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: Rossfan on July 11, 2010, 08:07:06 PM

Do ye want a loan of the Ballaghaderreen lads for the weekend, I'd love to see Sligonians reaction  ;D

Sligo are the home team, so does that mean we should shout for them. Then again Roscommon are the underdogs so maybe we should support them!
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

Rossfan

Quote from: BallyhaiseMan on July 11, 2010, 08:12:58 PM
,whats Roscommons record against Sligo like in championship RF?

Don't know overall but in recent times we lost in 87,97,2007 while we bet them in 89,98(replay), 2004(replay).
I'd say we'd have beaten them more regularly in the days before then.

I see Tommy Truck has moved on from ye BHM?
Which of us was left in the worst state by his tenure/ :D
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

BallyhaiseMan

Quote from: Rossfan on July 11, 2010, 08:25:26 PM
Quote from: BallyhaiseMan on July 11, 2010, 08:12:58 PM
,whats Roscommons record against Sligo like in championship RF?

Don't know overall but in recent times we lost in 87,97,2007 while we bet them in 89,98(replay), 2004(replay).
I'd say we'd have beaten them more regularly in the days before then.

I see Tommy Truck has moved on from ye BHM?
Which of us was left in the worst state by his tenure/ :D
You lads have to take that honour,as ye havent been a shadow of what ye were in the early 21st century since Carr's regime ,Hopefully it doesnt take us as long to recover.

ross4life

For ballyhaiseman  ;)

Roscommon v Sligo Connacht Championship

Roscommon Wins 19 Sligo wins 10 & 6 Draws

(two objections in 1925)

1906 - Ballaghaderreen:
Roscommon 3-6 Sligo 1-3
1915 - Boyle:
Roscommon 1-2 Sligo 0-1

1919 - Boyle
Roscommon 3-1 Sligo 1-3
1922- Sligo
Sligo 3-5 Roscommon 0-2
1924 - Ballaghaderreen
Roscommon 1-4 Sligo 0-2
1925 - Boyle (Objection)
Roscommon 2-4 Sligo 2-2
Roscommon:
Sligo 1-5 Roscommon 1-5
Sligo:
Sligo: 0-6 Roscommon 1-3
Sligo:
Sligo 2-0 Roscommon 0-6
Roscommon (Objection):
Sligo 2-3 Roscommon 0-5
Roscommon:
Sligo 2-3 Roscommon 0-2
1930 - Boyle:
Sligo 2-7 Roscommon 0-5
1935 - Tubercurry:
Sligo 3-1 Roscommon 3-3
1937 - Castlerea:
Sligo 2-10 Roscommon 1-6
1941 - Boyle:
Roscommon 1-9 Sligo 0-5
1942 - Boyle:
Roscommon 0-16 Sligo 0-6
1944 - Boyle:
Roscommon 1-5 Sligo 0-8
Replay Boyle:
Roscommon 0-13 Sligo 1-6
1947 - Ballina (Final):
Roscommon 2-12 Sligo 1-8
1950 - Ballina:
Roscommon 0-10 Sligo 1-5
1955 - Castlebar:
Roscommon 1-9 Sligo 0-4
1961 - Charlestown:
Roscommon 2-9 Sligo 2-6
1962 - Charlestown:
Roscommon 3-6 Sligo 1-1
1969 - Sligo:
Roscommon 2-12 Sligo 1-6
1971 - Roscommon:
Sligo 0-10 Roscommon 1-5
1974 - Sligo:
Roscommon 2-8 Sligo 1-11
Replay: Roscommon:
Roscommon 0-13 Sligo 0-8
1976 - Sligo:
Roscommon 1-10 Sligo 0-7
1977 - Roscommon
Roscommon 2-9 Sligo 1-6
1981 - Sligo
Sligo 2-9 Roscommon 1-8
1982 - Roscommon
Roscommon 3-8 Sligo 0-13
1987 - Sligo:
Sligo 2-8 Roscommon 0-12
1989 - Roscommon:
Roscommon 4-11 Sligo 1-8
1997 - Sligo:
Sligo 1-14 Roscommon 1-11
1998 - Roscommon:
Roscommon 2-12 Sligo 1-15
Replay: Sligo:
Roscommon 1-13 Sligo 0-15
2004-Roscommon
Roscommon 1-10 Sligo 0- 13
Replay: Sligo
Roscommon 2-16 Sligo 1-15
2007-Roscommon
Roscommon 2-5 Sligo 0-13v
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

BallyhaiseMan

Quote from: ross4life on July 11, 2010, 09:52:04 PM
For ballyhaiseman  ;)

Roscommon v Sligo Connacht Championship

Roscommon Wins 19 Sligo wins 10 & 6 Draws

(two objections in 1925)

1906 - Ballaghaderreen:
Roscommon 3-6 Sligo 1-3
1915 - Boyle:
Roscommon 1-2 Sligo 0-1

1919 - Boyle
Roscommon 3-1 Sligo 1-3
1922- Sligo
Sligo 3-5 Roscommon 0-2
1924 - Ballaghaderreen
Roscommon 1-4 Sligo 0-2
1925 - Boyle (Objection)
Roscommon 2-4 Sligo 2-2
Roscommon:
Sligo 1-5 Roscommon 1-5
Sligo:
Sligo: 0-6 Roscommon 1-3
Sligo:
Sligo 2-0 Roscommon 0-6
Roscommon (Objection):
Sligo 2-3 Roscommon 0-5
Roscommon:
Sligo 2-3 Roscommon 0-2
1930 - Boyle:
Sligo 2-7 Roscommon 0-5
1935 - Tubercurry:
Sligo 3-1 Roscommon 3-3
1937 - Castlerea:
Sligo 2-10 Roscommon 1-6
1941 - Boyle:
Roscommon 1-9 Sligo 0-5
1942 - Boyle:
Roscommon 0-16 Sligo 0-6
1944 - Boyle:
Roscommon 1-5 Sligo 0-8
Replay Boyle:
Roscommon 0-13 Sligo 1-6
1947 - Ballina (Final):
Roscommon 2-12 Sligo 1-8
1950 - Ballina:
Roscommon 0-10 Sligo 1-5
1955 - Castlebar:
Roscommon 1-9 Sligo 0-4
1961 - Charlestown:
Roscommon 2-9 Sligo 2-6
1962 - Charlestown:
Roscommon 3-6 Sligo 1-1
1969 - Sligo:
Roscommon 2-12 Sligo 1-6
1971 - Roscommon:
Sligo 0-10 Roscommon 1-5
1974 - Sligo:
Roscommon 2-8 Sligo 1-11
Replay: Roscommon:
Roscommon 0-13 Sligo 0-8
1976 - Sligo:
Roscommon 1-10 Sligo 0-7
1977 - Roscommon
Roscommon 2-9 Sligo 1-6
1981 - Sligo
Sligo 2-9 Roscommon 1-8
1982 - Roscommon
Roscommon 3-8 Sligo 0-13
1987 - Sligo:
Sligo 2-8 Roscommon 0-12
1989 - Roscommon:
Roscommon 4-11 Sligo 1-8
1997 - Sligo:
Sligo 1-14 Roscommon 1-11
1998 - Roscommon:
Roscommon 2-12 Sligo 1-15
Replay: Sligo:
Roscommon 1-13 Sligo 0-15
2004-Roscommon
Roscommon 1-10 Sligo 0- 13
Replay: Sligo
Roscommon 2-16 Sligo 1-15
2007-Roscommon
Roscommon 2-5 Sligo 0-13v
Thanks for that Ross4life
There have been a few replays recently.
id fancy Sligo by at least 5,but hopefully the Rossies will suprise all those who have written them off.