CONNACHT FINAL ROS v SLIGO 18th July 2010

Started by Rossfan, June 28, 2010, 08:42:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

spectator

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on July 07, 2010, 02:40:07 PM
I remember McHale getting a red card in McHale one of those years in the early 90's (don't think it was late 80's) was that against ye or Galway.

You may be getting mixed up MGHU, if you're thinking of the time he got sent off against us in The Hyde in '93?

He said himself afterwards that lamping the Rossie and getting the line for it was the thing that finally gained him acceptance amongst the Mayo supporters, who'd always [mistakenly] reckoned he was a namby-pamby basketballer up to that point  :D ... most of them must not have been in McHale Park the year before to witness his attack on Doc!

There was no 'Nice' tag attached to the Mayo team at that time, that's for sure.  :D

blast05

I take it that season ticket holders from Mayo and Galway (minor match) will not be entitled to buy stand tickets as a priority or anything like that ?

highking

Quote from: blast05 on July 08, 2010, 10:45:58 PM
I take it that season ticket holders from Mayo and Galway (minor match) will not be entitled to buy stand tickets as a priority or anything like that ?

What about McHale Park/County Board seat holders. Will we get free tickets to the Connacht final or is that not part of the deal either. So far, the following competitions are not part of the McHale Park season ticket holder deal...
1) FBD League Games.
2) National Hurling League Games
3) Connacht Championship Games not involving Mayo.

I signed up for that McHale Park seat and have got very little out of it so far. Anyone else in the same boat?

magpie seanie

Quote from: blast05 on July 08, 2010, 10:45:58 PM

I'm in tears here at the injustice!

Farrandeelin

Quote from: mjg on July 07, 2010, 08:28:59 PM
Typical mayo lads must have 346 threads going on this board but still feel its there right to hyjack this one

Well ye could hijack ours if ye want. I'll be at the game and I'm expecting a good game. Ros are not mentioned in media circles anywhere at all and could win it.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

moysider

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on July 07, 2010, 02:34:25 PM
Quote from: paddypastit on July 06, 2010, 05:47:05 PM
Mayogodhelpus - was the Duggan point not at the other end? I was on the Bacon factory terrace that day and though I was behind the kicker?

Are ye sure, I was 11 at the time and its a long time back, but I always thought it was that side, I was defo behind the goal.

Opposite end to Bacon Factory. Christ we used to make heavy weather of those matches. But then again we know a lot more now than we did then about a certain manager.

Shrewdness

Have i missed him on here or has Sligonian gone missing :o :o

Fear not, because he is posting regularly on the Roscommon supporters website, and the arrogance and c**k sure attitude is only dripping off him.

moysider

Quote from: Shrewdness on July 09, 2010, 08:23:10 PM

Fear not, because he is posting regularly on the Roscommon supporters website, and the arrogance and c**k sure attitude is only dripping off him.

;D And here was me thinking he was keeping his powder dry.

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: Shrewdness on July 09, 2010, 08:23:10 PM

I took a break because of a incident off the board. Arrogance and c**k sure atitude is complete rubbish. Its not my fault roscommon are no great shakes at senior. I still give ye a chance but its in our hands.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

Farrandeelin

It is surely, however if Sligo think they will walk it because they've beaten Galway and Mayo they might just end up with egg on their faces!
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

ross4life

I find it stranger that a Sligo follower who knows first hand what it's like to be at the bottom of the barrel, should know a underdog can still raise there game on any given day

E.G I'll never forget those 1987 & 1997 defeats to Sligo
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

sligoman2

you can rest assured there's no one with any knowledge of football taking this for granted.  We expect a tough game from Roscommon and personally I would prefer if we were underdogs but were not and for good reason I suppose.
Very proud of the way they dug themselves out of the debacle in salthill, I was in the terrace and it took me about a week to get over it so fair play to the players and the management team.
This sligo team are a special bunch of lads, they are tenacious and dont know how to quit which is a great thing to witness.  Looking forward to a good connuaght final and keeping the fingers crossed that we can sneak it by a point or two.
I used to be indecisive but now I'm not too sure.

highorlow

After today it looks like Sligo were on the "easy" side of the draw.

Ross to win i reckon.
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

ross4life

Quote from: highorlow on July 10, 2010, 06:40:08 PM
After today it looks like Sligo were on the "easy" side of the draw.

Ross to win i reckon.

If your judging it on Today's results how about Cavan getting beat by 18pts the same team that hammered us in Hyde park scoring 2-20
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

Shrewdness

In fairness, nobody should take anything away from Sligo's achievement in beating both Galway and Mayo.
However, we need to ask what was the true currency of those wins. Longford replicated Sligo's win over Mayo, and today Wexford have repeated Sligo's win over Galway.
Mayo and Galway are still big Gaa names, but in my opinion, that's all they now are. Their Senior teams are both in decline.

Imagine that Mayo's championship consisted of 2 games and 2 defeats against Sligo and Longford. It's years since Mayo have displayed form like this.
Galway struggled to beat New York, drew with Sligo, and then lose to both Sligo and Wexford.
When was the Galway team as inept as it currently is?

Sligo still had to do the hard work and beat these 2 giants of Connacht Football, but having done so, have people over rated this Sligo team re their future prospects in this year's championship?

They are 1/4 favourites with the bookies to land the Connacht Title. Ridiculously short odds in my opinion. It's a 2 horse race.
I have never seen the build up to a provincial final so dominated by talk of just one team. In the media, there isn't a word about Roscommon. Even within the county itself, the build up is very low key, with very few flags on show, even on cars.
All the talk nationally and throughout the West is focussing on Sligo.

It's hard to know which Roscommon will turn up. Against London, they were impressive enough in the first half, but very poor in the second half.
Against Leitrim, the reverse happened.
A similar performance against Sligo, and it's all over for Ros, provided of course that Sligo can repeat the intensity of earlier performances for a fourth time.

However, if Ros can repeat that second half showing against Leitrim for even 60 minutes of the Final, i reckon there could be another ''shock'' in this year of shock results.

One final point to ponder. Both teams started this year's League in Division 3, and whilst they endured differing fortunes, it's not exactly a David v Goliath scenario.