CONNACHT FINAL ROS v SLIGO 18th July 2010

Started by Rossfan, June 28, 2010, 08:42:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ross matt

Quote from: spectator on July 06, 2010, 07:00:06 PM
Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on July 06, 2010, 05:37:29 PM
Is my account correct or has the years changed what happened in my mind, I was 12 at the time.

What happened was that Rossfan's favourite referee ever ... guess who  ;) ... was reffing and midway through the first half bottled sending off Liam McHale after he almost decapitated our centre back David O'Connor.

A couple of minutes later, he controversially sent off our most dangerous forward up until then, Tommy Grehan - he'd scored two points from play in the game up to that point - for an off the ball incident.

On a day when the exchanges were tough & with Mayo in full flight, it was always going to be a huge factor in determining the outcome.

Ros were going for their third Connacht in-a-row that day & had played two close final games against ye in ' 89 (Draw & Replay which went to extra-time win for ye) & ' 91 (Draw & one point for Ros win in the replay.) I think the best team won on the day for all that, but who can say what would have happened had the ref been more consistent in his application of the rules? It's always been a talking point since.

Remember it well Spec. Tommy G got in a tangle with  a Mayo player and made as if to throw the head. Did'nt make contact but was send off all the same. Rightfully so in my opinion. But McHale should definitely have walked for the clothes hanger on O'Connor. That 90/91 Ross side was a fine well organised outfit with an excellent manager in Marty Mac. Unlucky not to win in 89 also as you said.

ross4life

Ticket Prices:

Stand- €35

Sideline seating- €25

Children €5 (Under 16)

Students and OAP's can get refund of €10

Minor match has a throw in at 1.30, so will be able to catch some of the ulster final in Mitchels club house  8)
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

spuds

betting with paddy power

Quote18th Jul 2010
16:00  Sligo v Roscommon   
         1/4  9/1  7/2 

savage odds for a match
"As I get older I notice the years less and the seasons more."
John Hubbard

highking

Quote from: ross4life on July 05, 2010, 04:36:03 PM
Donegal's Jimmy White has been appointed as the man in the middle for the Connacht final he also was the ref in the Sligo v Mayo this year

P.S i'm nearly sure the Mchale park crossbars are still wooden?

Edit 100% wooden

Checked the crossbar tonight. It looks wooden but it is 100% steel. Will take some breaking. There was an unusual team in black training in McHale Park tonite, with a big buck from Galway refereeing in the middle.. I think there using it as their home ground for the next few weeks.

ross4life

Quote from: highking on July 07, 2010, 12:16:14 AM
Quote from: ross4life on July 05, 2010, 04:36:03 PM

Checked the crossbar tonight. It looks wooden but it is 100% steel. Will take some breaking. There was an unusual team in black training in McHale Park tonite, with a big buck from Galway refereeing in the middle.. I think there using it as their home ground for the next few weeks.

I'll take your word for it, i stand corrected
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

fearglasmor

Are the Sligo colours not traditionally White with Black trim ?

When did they turn black ?

magpie seanie

Quote from: fearglasmor on July 07, 2010, 09:44:07 AM

Only in 2001! Where have you been?!!!

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: paddypastit on July 06, 2010, 05:47:05 PM
Mayogodhelpus - was the Duggan point not at the other end? I was on the Bacon factory terrace that day and though I was behind the kicker?

Are ye sure, I was 11 at the time and its a long time back, but I always thought it was that side, I was defo behind the goal.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

fearglasmor

Quote from: magpie seanie on July 07, 2010, 10:06:39 AM
Quote from: fearglasmor on July 07, 2010, 09:44:07 AM

Only in 2001! Where have you been?!!!

Living in the past it seems,   maybe its something to do with having to live in Roscommon.       :'(

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: ross matt on July 06, 2010, 07:12:02 PM
Quote from: spectator on July 06, 2010, 07:00:06 PM
Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on July 06, 2010, 05:37:29 PM
Is my account correct or has the years changed what happened in my mind, I was 12 at the time.

What happened was that Rossfan's favourite referee ever ... guess who  ;) ... was reffing and midway through the first half bottled sending off Liam McHale after he almost decapitated our centre back David O'Connor.

A couple of minutes later, he controversially sent off our most dangerous forward up until then, Tommy Grehan - he'd scored two points from play in the game up to that point - for an off the ball incident.

On a day when the exchanges were tough & with Mayo in full flight, it was always going to be a huge factor in determining the outcome.

Ros were going for their third Connacht in-a-row that day & had played two close final games against ye in ' 89 (Draw & Replay which went to extra-time win for ye) & ' 91 (Draw & one point for Ros win in the replay.) I think the best team won on the day for all that, but who can say what would have happened had the ref been more consistent in his application of the rules? It's always been a talking point since.

Remember it well Spec. Tommy G got in a tangle with  a Mayo player and made as if to throw the head. Did'nt make contact but was send off all the same. Rightfully so in my opinion. But McHale should definitely have walked for the clothes hanger on O'Connor. That 90/91 Ross side was a fine well organised outfit with an excellent manager in Marty Mac. Unlucky not to win in 89 also as you said.

I remember McHale getting a red card in McHale one of those years in the early 90's (don't think it was late 80's) was that against ye or Galway.

Can anyone else remember McHale running up the McHale road side and half way through soloing the ball he started to bounce it like a basketball (obviously forgot what sport he was playing) he was clear and probably would have scored a point only for the obvious free against him, again was that against Roscommon or Galway?

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: ross4life on July 06, 2010, 10:33:11 PM
Ticket Prices:

Stand- €35

Sideline seating- €25

Children €5 (Under 16)

Minor match has a throw in at 1.30, so will be able to catch some of the ulster final in Mitchels club house  8)

I'll be the one singing "give us back our Ballaghaderreen"

Actually hope my Rossie mate comes down, he scuttled off awful fast after the 2004 Final in McHale.

ross4life

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on July 07, 2010, 02:43:21 PM
Quote from: ross4life on July 06, 2010, 10:33:11 PM
Ticket Prices:

Stand- €35

Sideline seating- €25

Children €5 (Under 16)

I'll be the one singing "give us back our Ballaghaderreen"

Actually hope my Rossie mate comes down, he scuttled off awful fast after the 2004 Final in McHale.

Well you can give us the Ballagh players then, i'm especially looking forward to seeing Pierce Hanly in Roscommon colours  ;D
& wasn't 2004 the Year Mayo fan's scuttled off awful fast after All Ireland final

ross4life

Rossfan

Sod the speech those pics brought on a few tears of joy and pride again.
Hope the lads can be inspired from them.
Hope the Mayowestros lads had a look at Kerry being bet in an All Ireland final  :D
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

mjg

Typical mayo lads must have 346 threads going on this board but still feel its there right to hyjack this one