CONNACHT FINAL ROS v SLIGO 18th July 2010

Started by Rossfan, June 28, 2010, 08:42:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

magpie seanie

There's going to be no big heads in Sligo from the people that matter. This will take a good performance from us to win and we know if we're short of our best we will lose.

paddypastit

The signals from Walsh after the game were totally focussed. Let's leave them at it.
come disagree with me on http://gushtystuppencehapenny.wordpress.com/ and spread the word

Farrandeelin

Quote from: Peter Solan the Great on July 04, 2010, 04:13:06 PM
A Novel pairing and one not expected at the start of the year. First time either Mayo or Galway weren't in the final since 1947.  Mayo and Galway contest the minor final on the same day. I'll be there to watch the minors, hard to know who to support?. I will probably go for the underdog Roscommon. Who will other Mayo/Galwegians be cheering for?

On form Sligo should do it. There have done the hard work beating the big two in Connacht. Judging from the various message boards The heads seem to be getting bigger and bigger in Sligo this could play into Roscommon hands. On another note nice to see some bit of use being made of McHale park, will there be a full house?

Don't give a damn. I'll enjoy it as a true neutral.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

highking

Quote from: neilthemac on July 04, 2010, 11:58:58 PM
Quote from: Turlough O Carolan on July 04, 2010, 10:40:05 PM
Quote from: ross4life on July 04, 2010, 04:10:17 PM
the last time a Connacht final in McHale park didn't involve Mayo was 1962 Roscommon 3-07 Galway 2-09

That was the famous broken crossbar incident when Roscommon were 5 points down in the second half and not too long left when goalkeeper Aidan Brady pulled down the crossbar. When it was fixed a rampaging Gerry O'Malley inspired Ros to victory - with the broken crossbar being the turning point in the game. Castlebar was actually always a very lucky ground for Roscommon and when Mayo defeated Roscommon there in 1992, it was probably the first time most Mayo supporters saw their county overcome Roscommon in Castlebar. There had been two draws there in 89 and 91 (Duggan's amazing free kick), while Ros won there in 86. Incidentally, when Roscommon lost their great record in Castlebar, Enon Gavin actually broke the crossbar again, thirty years after Aidan Brady had pulled it down. Ros have not won a senior game there since.

was there in 1991 and 1992 for that. imagine having a spare crossbar lying around the place!

Typical Rossies coming into Mayo and breaking our crossbars. You just couldn't watch them. I was also there the day Enon Gavin swung off the crossbar and brought it down. There was a spare crossbar on standby behind the goals, stored on top of the advertising hoardings. It only took about a minute or two to change the crossbar. It was noted that the crossbar was a bit rotten, and thats why a new one was on standby..
The good news for Rossies for next Sunday week, is that McHale Park now has steel crossbar's, so the can try and break them all they want. Knowing them shower though, they'll probably bring an anglegrinder with them...

mjg

Hoping tantastic doesnt get halled up  before the judges need him to gee up our young lads

ross4life

Donegal's Jimmy White has been appointed as the man in the middle for the Connacht final he also was the ref in the Sligo v Mayo this year

P.S i'm nearly sure the Mchale park crossbars are still wooden?

Edit 100% wooden

The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

AZOffaly

Ross they make them rectangular shaped crossbars in steel now as well.

spuds

Quote from: ross4life on July 05, 2010, 04:36:03 PM
Donegal's Jimmy White has been appointed as the man in the middle for the Connacht final he also was the ref in the Sligo v Mayo this year

Edit 100% wooden

if anything like rossies last summer visit to mchale only need for one goalposts and change ends at halftime
"As I get older I notice the years less and the seasons more."
John Hubbard

ross4life

Quote from: AZOffaly on July 05, 2010, 04:50:20 PM

Well i was on the field in 2008 it was wooden then, the picture is from 2009 & i think i see a nail at the end?

Quote from: spuds on July 05, 2010, 04:59:55 PM

if anything like rossies last summer visit to mchale only need for one goalposts and change ends at halftime

Same could be said about Mayo & there next visit to Croke park  ;)
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

AZOffaly

Quote from: ross4life on July 05, 2010, 05:01:58 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on July 05, 2010, 04:50:20 PM

Well i was on the field in 2008 it was wooden then, the picture is from 2009 & i think i see a nail at the end?

Quote from: spuds on July 05, 2010, 04:59:55 PM

Same could be said about Mayo & there next visit to Croke park  ;)

Or a bolt.

ross matt

Quote from: mjg on July 05, 2010, 04:33:48 PM
Hoping tantastic doesnt get halled up  before the judges need him to gee up our young lads

Excellent point. Eamon is extremely popular in Ross ;)!

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

highking

Edit 100% wooden

Jee's the Rossies are eyeing up the crossbar already.. I will have to have a word with the caretaker and make sure the crossbar is reinforced...

Mano

Quote from: ross matt on July 05, 2010, 07:36:30 PM

Tell us then why he is so unpopular in Roscommon. Would it have anything to do with a BBC GAA programme a few years ago by any chance?

ross matt

Quote from: Mano on July 05, 2010, 11:44:31 PM
Quote from: ross matt on July 05, 2010, 07:36:30 PM

Tell us then why he is so unpopular in Roscommon. Would it have anything to do with a BBC GAA programme a few years ago by any chance?

You referring to the show where he said "The Rossies will be bet and bet well" (previewing the 2003 AI quarterfinal)? Did'nt see it myself but lot of Rossies took exception to it at the time I believe as he appeared to be taking pleasure in the prediction. Personally would have no problem with him calling a match like he saw it. I remember him in the Hyde a few years back hitting David Casey (a good clean footballer) a slap in the stones off the ball right in front of a raging home crowd but the ref missed it. Himself and Shamy O'Neill have had plenty of "battles" but then again Shamy in no angel himself. I just know Eamon wouldnt be popular in Ross but I doubt if that will bother him too much come the Connacht Final.