Down v The Longford Lager Louts - Round 2 Qualifier Páirc Esler @7pm July10th

Started by fairplay, June 28, 2010, 10:34:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fairplay

Lets get the crack started.

Billys Boots

Em, June 2002, Paul Barden scores the finest point in the history of the GAA to put Down out of their misery.  How's that?
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

Shamrock Shore

Should be a good one. Was in Esler Park a few years ago for Longford's last visit on a wet windy Saturday night. We should have nothing to fear and the women will enjoy browsing around in the exotic shops we don't have Dine Site.

LaurelEye

Quote from: Shamrock Shore on June 28, 2010, 10:43:27 AM
Should be a good one. Was in Esler Park a few years ago for Longford's last visit on a wet windy Saturday night. We should have nothing to fear and the women will enjoy browsing around in the exotic shops we don't have Dine Site.

Does Newry have anything to equal Mad McGuinness's, though?
Leader Cup winners: 1945, 1947, 1948, 1949, 1950, 1951, 2013, 2016, 2017, 2019, 2021, 2023.

snoopdog

If we learned anything from our trip to Aughrim last year it should be not to underestimate the so called smaller counties.
Down need to tear into them from the off and not let Longford get a sniff of success otherwise we are in for a battle.
Hopefully its a saturday evening game.
Just glad its not in Pearse Park. Not a happy hunting ground for us Down men.
Congrats to Longford on theirr win over Mayo it was great to see.
We are hurting from the poor second half display against Tyrone and we need to kick on from this.

The Forfeit Point

Quote from: Billys Boots on June 28, 2010, 10:42:59 AM
Em, June 2002, Paul Barden scores the finest point in the history of the GAA to put Down out of their misery.  How's that?

any update on the injury, will he be okay for newry?

southsidejohnny

Not if Longford bring Eugene McGee with them will they beat Down. Dont confuse a win over the worst Mayo team in history with resurgence. When your record reads in the last 12 months wins over London and Kilkenny and the mercy killing of Mayo please dont get hurt believing that ye will come within 8 points of Down. It will be nice to tell the children though how ye bet an out of sorts and terminal Mayo, will go with the League win of 1966 and Geoff Hursts "goal".

AZOffaly

Good job Wicklow didn't take that approach last year then.

passedit

Quote from: AZOffaly on June 28, 2010, 01:06:00 PM

Indeed AZ, If Longford bring thon cnut Kinneavey with them they'll have every chance.  It's one all in championship games between the two counties so all to play for.
Don't Panic

Shamrock Shore

Which Down will we meet johnny?

The first half v Tyrone Down or the second half v Tyrone Down?

And BTW Eugene McGee has absolutely nothing to do with Longford GAA (was marginally involved about 10 years ago) so even if he came, wrapped in gold leaf, it would have no effect on the outcome.

Shamrock Shore

QuoteIt's one all in championship games between the two counties

How do you make this out passedit?

We won Centenary game in Longford in 1984 and Qualifier in 2002. I can't recall any other meeting outside of the odd League clash. Maybe I'm wrong.

passedit

Quote from: Shamrock Shore on June 28, 2010, 01:17:49 PM
QuoteIt's one all in championship games between the two counties

How do you make this out passedit?

We won Centenary game in Longford in 1984 and Qualifier in 2002. I can't recall any other meeting outside of the odd League clash. Maybe I'm wrong.

Sorry SS 1 -0 to the Larries, I had it in my head we bate ye in the semi in 68, when actually ye lost to Kerry and we gave our bunnies the usual stuffing in the final.
Don't Panic

norabeag

Also realise that Southside johnny is a Mayoman so does not speak for Down
We will not be taking anyone for granted.
All to play for

AZOffaly

Quote from: norabeag on June 28, 2010, 01:25:38 PM
Also realise that Southside johnny is a Mayoman so does not speak for Down
We will not be taking anyone for granted.
All to play for

I copped that alright nora. I'd be surprised if Down people were that presumptous. The classy counties seldom are.

Shamrock Shore

QuoteThe classy counties seldom are

My apologies - I agree with AZ sentiments