Round 2 - Qualifiers - July 10th

Started by Armaghgeddon, June 27, 2010, 09:18:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zapatista

Quote from: David McKeown on June 28, 2010, 09:02:26 AM
Without wanting to sound like a conspiracy theroist why do these draws regularly seem to throw up an all ulster tie and have another ulster team draw arguably the best team in the draw?

RTE yes, TV3 no way :D

Seriously though. Leitrim, Westmeath and Longford (no offence Billy, congrats btw) are hardly big guns.

mountainboii

11 qualifiers since their inception - 7 all Ulster ties, including the last 4 in a row. No conspiracies, but FFS you'd think it's time we got a spin down the country.

Declan

QuoteAll home wins?

Think Tipp or Longford could win and possibly Derry. Hard to know really

Zapatista

Quote from: Declan on June 28, 2010, 09:11:56 AM
QuoteAll home wins?

Think Tipp or Longford could win and possibly Derry. Hard to know really

Derry would probably be the best hope but it's hard to see them win two games in a row regardless of the opposition.

boro

Wexford could have done with a home draw. Still a trip out west mightn't be too bad and at least we missed out on Cork or Dublin (shudder). Is it bad to hope that few of the Sligo/Galway lads see red next weekend?

Hound

Quote from: Declan on June 28, 2010, 08:39:29 AM
QuoteParnell Park presumably
I'd imagine so alright - lucky to get 8000 at it I reckon
Well if in Croker, there'd have to be some other game with it.

The hurlers are due out on Saturday July 10th also, but I don't think they can get Tipp - a Dublin-Tipp double header would have have been nice. I think it has to be Clare or Limerick.

Could they ask the Dubs to give up home advantage to get a double header with the hurlers? Dublin v Clare/Limerick and Dublin v Tipp in Semple Stadium for example.

The other alternative is a double header with the Leinster final. I think I remember hearing that the Leinster football final has a 2pm throw-in for TV reasons, therefore you could potentially have Dublin v Tipp at 4pm. But I'm not sure that would work.

beer baron

Quote from: AFS on June 28, 2010, 09:10:09 AM
11 qualifiers since their inception - 7 all Ulster ties, including the last 4 in a row. No conspiracies, but FFS you'd think it's time we got a spin down the country.
Wanna swap?

mountainboii

Quote from: beer baron on June 28, 2010, 09:18:44 AM
Quote from: AFS on June 28, 2010, 09:10:09 AM
Wanna swap?

You're alright, thanks.

AZOffaly

Waterford will really fancy Offaly in Tullamore. Good job it's in Tullamore, if that was in Fraher Field I'd be nearly expecting a Waterford win. This is prime time for Waterford. They've been coming on and will be expecting to put it up to Offaly.

Unfortunately we seem to still consider ourselves members of the establishment, but we are soft pickings for upsets these days, especially in the qualifiers. Carlow, Limerick (when they were only coming), Louth (ditto) and others are all teams who have beaten Offaly in qualifier games, and other exits were shameful in their performance e.g. Down, Laois, Wexford.

It's a great opportunity for Offaly, at least we didn't get Dublin or Cork.

Interesting from that day in Portlaoise... Meath and Louth are in the Leinster Final, Offaly and Longford both won their qualifier games :D

Anyway, back to the point, if there is a likely 'upset' this one is it.

Hound

Dubs drawn at home to Clare in the hurling qualfiers.

So perhaps a double bill in Croker on July 10 is on after all.

(Offaly home to Limerick in the other hurling qualifier)

AZOffaly

That's a good draw for Offaly, as long as we keep our heads, but it's also deadly dangerous. Limerick should have beaten us in the league, and they'll see this as a chance to save their season. Dublin gave them a right trimming in the League, so Limerick v Dublin would have been a horrible draw for them. They'll see Offaly and think they have a chance.

Billys Boots

Derry looks like the only (likely) away win, to me anyway.  After that, maybe Wexford or Tipp.  The sensible bet would be all home wins. 
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

mountainboii

Quote from: Billys Boots on June 28, 2010, 10:02:05 AM
Derry looks like the only (likely) away win, to me anyway.  After that, maybe Wexford or Tipp.  The sensible bet would be all home wins.

I'd give us a decent shout.

mylestheslasher

Handy game for Cavan. We will play Seanie on his own in their half and everyone else inside our 45 and they won't have a hope. We might only start 13 this match too to give cork a fighting chance.

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: drici on June 28, 2010, 08:23:22 AM
Cork v Cavan

A chance at payback for all the Niall Tóibín jokes down the years?
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?