The Larries

Started by bcarrier, June 26, 2010, 09:36:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bcarrier

Very well done.

;D

The Forfeit Point

joemamas

congrats from a Mayoman , nobody can begrudege you.

In the Onion Bag

I no way anti-Mayo but for me this kinda result justifies the backdoor system. 
Longford and others, having the certainty of two games each championship must help with motivation, training expectations, etc.

Well done Longford and may you have a few more surprise results this season.

Billys Boots

This thread should be renamed 'The Larries'.
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

Maigheo Abu

Well done Longford, this one was along time coming after close calls with Kerry twice and Dublin. Enjoy this and the best of luck.
Where the ocean kisses Ireland and the waves caress it's shores

ONeill

The O'Farrells stir.

Does that hefty boy still play? (Sheridan?)
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Shamrock Shore

O'Neill.

Niall Sheridan quit the inter couny scene a few years back but still plays for the local club Abbeylara. Still causes chaos when he gets possession. He walked by us yesterday in his civvies in the stand and the eldest Shore brother was heard to comment that "he actually looks bigger with the jersey on".

Larries all over the world celebrating. I got a congratulatory text yesterday evening from Brisbane from a Mayo lad who was about to head off a 3,500 km trip into the wilderness.

I'll let ye add in your own jokes.

AZOffaly

Well done the Larries. Does this top the Derry result a few years ago? Great stuff out of ye.

Qwerty28

Yesterdays result was far more surprising as form going into game was brutal.....remember Mayo were in Div 1 league final, we finished just above London and Kilkenny! (although had no luck whatsoever in league).

Derry result wasnt as big a surprise as team had bit of momentum going into it having run the Dubs close and won 2 rounds of qualifiers handily enough before that.

Either way, great win yday and hope we can build on that with favourable draw the next day

LaurelEye

Quote from: Qwerty28 on June 27, 2010, 11:47:05 AM
Yesterdays result was far more surprising as form going into game was brutal.....remember Mayo were in Div 1 league final, we finished just above London and Kilkenny! (although had no luck whatsoever in league).

Derry result wasnt as big a surprise as team had bit of momentum going into it having run the Dubs close and won 2 rounds of qualifiers handily enough before that.

Either way, great win yday and hope we can build on that with favourable draw the next day

I went over yesterday with absolutely no expectations; as Qwerty says, the League form was brutal and reports were not encouraging.

Even at half time, my expectations only went as far as not being hammered. Yes, the referee gave us the rub of the green; yes, the passing was often dreadful; but the grit and determination in the second half once the self-belief was there saw us through. Just.

God knows who we'll get in the next round or whether this is just a one-off, but at least it rescues a bit of self-respect for the year.
Leader Cup winners: 1945, 1947, 1948, 1949, 1950, 1951, 2013, 2016, 2017, 2019, 2021, 2023.

Billys Boots

Zapatista

Quote from: Billys Boots on June 28, 2010, 09:04:50 AM
We're off to Newry.

Full of confidence too i'd say. Down would rather be facing Mayo.

Billys Boots

Quote from: Zapatista on June 28, 2010, 09:08:33 AM
We're off to Newry.

Full of confidence would be stretching it - Down in Newry is probably a step too far at the moment.  Who knows?

Lar Naparka

Quote from: Zapatista on June 28, 2010, 09:08:33 AM
We're off to Newry.

Let's face it; anyone would rather be facing my beloved Mayo than my local junior side.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi