Clones, where art thou?

Started by DirtyDozen12, June 25, 2010, 09:25:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DirtyDozen12

Anyone know why no Ulster Championship games have ben played in Clones the year?

Also, anyone confirm where the Ulster Final is to be played?
Beer, now there's a temporary solution!!!

passedit

http://gaaboard.com/board/index.php?PHPSESSID=82756a117b66f4cbc1fc795762f9b8b7&topic=16596.0

This thread might give you a clue as to the reasons behind Clones non use.

I was gonna say underuse but one game there is too many.
Don't Panic

bigfrankt

Nobody hase chosen it to host a game. Monaghan were drawn "away" to Armagh and their semi has to be played in a neutral venue.

If Armagh had been sound about it and just played their game in Clones like they do every other year it would have been opened.

Plus the pitch has been redone, wont get a run out till the final now!

GrandMasterFlash

Quote from: bigfrankt on June 25, 2010, 09:32:43 AM
Plus the pitch has been redone, wont get a run out till the final now!

If at all Frank! It hasn't been made public yet and maybe HQ are (illogically) awaiting the outcome of the second SF before making a call, although I can't see why it hasn't been decided either way at this stage?

I was in at there a few weeks ago and it's a first class job, a Prunty Pitch again eventually.. There hasn't been a Prunty pitch there since the Ulster Council/Clones GAA ripped out the original one (and all the drainage with it apparently) in the early 90s, and we all remember that..  ::)

It looks the business all the same and would really like to see the final there in any case.

longrunsthefox

the summer don't feel the same without a day in Clones. Hopefully the Ulster final will go there. Is a good atmosphere about the town and some memories there too

blewuporstuffed

i dont understand the dislike of clones by alot of people, i would much rather have it than casement anyday
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

longrunsthefox

Quote from: blewuporstuffed on June 25, 2010, 10:31:01 AM
i dont understand the dislike of clones by alot of people, i would much rather have it than casement anyday

Big time! Casement is awful. No atmosphere about the place and herded in and out like sheep.

DirtyDozen12

Quote from: longrunsthefox on June 25, 2010, 10:32:40 AM

Big time! Casement is awful. No atmosphere about the place and herded in and out like sheep.

I know there was a thread a while back about people complaining about the drnk taken in Clones etc but for me personally, there is no better venue for a Ulster Championship game on a sunny day and a packed house.  Venues like Omagh, Casement, Breffin, Celtic Park etc i dont think come close to Clones in terms of memories or atmosphere.  Always a good spot to have a pint or two before tipping up into the game.

sammymaguire

is it gonna be this scene again??

or this??

minus the Armagh fans  ;)  ;)  ;)
DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!

Estimator

Quote from: DirtyDozen12 on June 25, 2010, 10:46:22 AM
Quote from: longrunsthefox on June 25, 2010, 10:32:40 AM

I know there was a thread a while back about people complaining about the drnk taken in Clones etc but for me personally, there is no better venue for a Ulster Championship game on a sunny day and a packed house. Venues like Omagh, Casement, Breffin, Celtic Park etc i dont think come close to Clones in terms of memories or atmosphere.  Always a good spot to have a pint or two before tipping up into the game.

Surely the memories aspect is due to the lack of games that have been played at that other venues over the years.  I've also been at a number of games in Cllones that have been devoid of any atmosphere whatsoever.
Ulster League Champions 2009

FarneyMan

Every game i've ever been to in Casement has been devoid of any atmosphere whatsoever.........

timmyot501

Mentioned in the Star today that if Fermanagh win on Sunday the final will be in clones but if Monaghan win they are considering Breffnie as a neutral venue.  So Clones might not get any ulster championship games in 2010 (nothing agreed for sure though)

omagh_gael

Quote from: timmyot501 on June 25, 2010, 04:47:08 PM
Mentioned in the Star today that if Fermanagh win on Sunday the final will be in clones but if Monaghan win they are considering Breffnie as a neutral venue.  So Clones might not get any ulster championship games in 2010 (nothing agreed for sure though)

Why would Monaghan have to play the final in a neutral venue and the 07 final versus Tyrone was in Clones?

longrunsthefox

That don't make sense at all. Tyrone would have no problem playing Monaghan in Clones. The Star is full of sh*t.

DirtyDozen12

Quote from: longrunsthefox on June 25, 2010, 05:04:17 PM
That don't make sense at all. Tyrone would have no problem playing Monaghan in Clones. The Star is full of sh*t.

I disagree, I quite like hearing what Kieran Donaghy has to say  ;D