Biggest share of Maze stadium money 'to go the GAA'

Started by barelegs, June 24, 2010, 10:40:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

barelegs

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/10408966.stm

The GAA is to receive the lion's share of money earmarked for the building of a sports stadium on the site of the former Maze prison the BBC understands.

The GAA is thought to be in line for £50m, football £30m and rugby is to receive about £20m.

The Executive has still to sign off on the plans. Further developments are thought to be likely in the next two to three weeks.

This is a serious amount of cash. Wonder where it will be spent? If indeed the GAA receive this cash

barelegs

Quote from: Ulick on June 24, 2010, 10:54:13 PM
Quote from: barelegs on June 24, 2010, 10:40:00 PM
This is a serious amount of cash. Wonder where it will be spent? If indeed the GAA receive this cash

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport/gaa/ulster-council-making-big-plans-for-casement-14259279.html

I eagerly await enough car parking spaces to accomodate 42,000 people. I've never been the biggest fan of Casement. Can't see the soccer and rugby people being too pleased with this. The GAA get as much as the two bodies put together. Must have been some business plan!

orangeman

Thank God for the Brits !  ;)

Wasn't Tyrone accused of being helpedwin the All Ireland by the Queen recently ?

Redhand Santa

The gaa must have the biggest membership by far to be getting so much extra money (if this is accurate). Not sure how well it will go down.

Also not sure if Casement is the best place to be spending £50m. As someone has said the parking is not great when 20,000 go. Maybe there is some plan's for public transport to cater for fans. Will be some stadium if they spend that type of money on it + gaa's own money.

ziggysego

Quote from: Redhand Santa on June 24, 2010, 11:26:03 PM
The gaa must have the biggest membership by far to be getting so much extra money (if this is accurate). Not sure how well it will go down.

Also not sure if Casement is the best place to be spending £50m. As someone has said the parking is not great when 20,000 go. Maybe there is some plan's for public transport to cater for fans. Will be some stadium if they spend that type of money on it + gaa's own money.

The money is going where it is needed to build the projects each sporting organisation wants.

As for Casement? Where else? Can't be Clones as it is outside the jurisdiction of Stormont.
Testing Accessibility

armaghniac

Caasement is the only stadium in Ulster convenient to a railway station, (although I think the Athletic grounds is built on a railway line), so build a park and ride at the Maze for regular use during the week and for GAA games too.

I suggest that heaters be installed in that part of the new stand in Armagh used by season ticket holders.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Jinxy

Quote from: orangeman on June 24, 2010, 11:18:33 PM
Thank God for the Brits !  ;)

Wasn't Tyrone accused of being helpedwin the All Ireland by the Queen recently ?

Why would she accuse them of that?
If you were any use you'd be playing.

armaghniac

QuoteWasn't Tyrone accused of being helpedwin the All Ireland by the Queen recently ?

She's coming over to present them with the Sam.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Rois

If they could see their way to throwing 4% of that down to Tyrone we'd be very happy.

Seriously though, with all the cutbacks that we're told need to be made, maybe we could hang on a year or two for the money? 

GrandMasterFlash

Why do folk think it will be exclusively spent on Casement? Could it not be districuted to all county grounds in order to make Gaelic Games in each county more accessible? The major stadium (Casment Park, most likely) will get the bulk of it but it may not all go there. As said, I would like to see a considerable amount spent in infasrtructure (e.g. parkling facilities) if there is to be development.

Ulick

You want to spend £50 million an a car park? That's certainly creative use of the money.

GrandMasterFlash

Quote from: Ulick on June 25, 2010, 09:00:17 AM
You want to spend £50 million an a car park? That's certainly creative use of the money.

That's exactly what I didn't say!

cornafean

Lads, I honestly don't see the point in spending tens of millions on Casement Park, or indeed any other venue in Ulster. Nor do I see the need for an all-seater Casement. Casement needs to have a few bob spent to modernise it but otherwise its adequate enough as it is.

Anyway, with the state of the British public finances at the moment, I can't see this scale of money being paid to the GAA, IFA and IRFU, months or weeks ahead of major cuts to public services.
Boycott Hadron. Support your local particle collider.

orangeman

I think the money was available before and is still in the coffers.

That's some load of money.

No wonder the Shinners get the good seats nowadays - remember the time they were refused all ireland tickets ??

How times change.