Get ready to wave them flegs - Lily Windsor's coming

Started by Fiodoir Ard Mhacha, June 23, 2010, 06:57:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AQMP

Quote from: Evil Genius on May 18, 2011, 11:08:02 PM
Quote from: Nally Stand on May 18, 2011, 06:41:47 PM
Quote from: Eamonnca1 on May 18, 2011, 06:35:49 PM
Quote from: SLIGONIAN on May 18, 2011, 05:29:19 PM
Interesting that only 1 of the 9 Ulster counties accepted invitation, speaks volumes that those most affected decided not yet, this to me should be respected more than any other viewpoint.

Oh, so Down wasn't affected by the troubles then? That business in Loughinisland didn't happen? Nobody was blown up in Warrenpoint?

Oh so there is no significance in the fact that five of the six counties refused to send representatives?
In the light of 5 NI counties deliberately snubbing their (i.e. Unionists') Monarch, Unionists in NI will feel vindicated in their belief that the GAA is not just a pro-Irish organisation, but is actually also an anti-British  organisation.

And as a consequence, And with examples such as today's who can properly blame us?[/b]

Can't do this multiple quote thing EG, but after a great post about the presence of Jackie McDonlad and his mates at Island Bridge (I think the media have decided this should be glossed over as it doesn't support the "aren't we all great mates" message of the visit), in several other posts you state (perhpas not verbatim) "I think Unionists will feel" "Unionists will view" etc and in other posts occasionally "we" and "us".  Then in response to Ziggy's question on how Unionists view the visit you say that you can't speak for all Unionists as ussuns aren't all the same which appears to be a dig at Ziggy who I don't think for one minute suggested in his question that "yous'uns" are all the same.

Now you can't have it both ways.  You are confident that you know how Unionists will view the decision of some counties not to send a representative to HQ yesterday and how they feel on other issues yet on some issues (when there is no obvious stick with which to beat the GAA?) it's "Hey we're not all the same (as yous'uns always view us)"  From reading all your posts of the last couple of days, I think this visit and its perceived "success" (so far) has thrown you a bit, until you found an alleged stick, with which to beat, yesterday.

However my main point was your assertion that "many (Unionists) will go further and conclude that the GAA's stated aim of wanting to reach out to all Irish people is a sham (in Ulster, at least).

Now here I admit you don't claim to speak for all Unionists, just "many".  How many, 10, 1,000, 99%?  How do you know this? As relevant is my straw poll of three Unionists (all of whom live in NI ;)) at work.  Now two of these (66%) knew the Queen was at Croke Pk yesterday but didn't know that some counties were not represented and had no strong views on the fact that, for instance, my own county was not there.  One of these (33%) actually said "Well it's good if most of them were there" The third (33%) knew that some counties were not represented but said he could understand this position and he also understood the position the Shinners had taken in relation to the visit (and let's just say this person has been directly affected by Republican violence, albeit a long time ago and isn't time he moved on?)

Lastly I can assure you that outreach work being undertaken by the GAA, in Antrim at least, is anything but a sham.  Get out from behind your computer screen and ask some of the Unionists who have experienced this (or are there not that many in Hampstead or Barnsley)?

AQMP

How do Dubs on the board view Tom Idiot Elliott's statement that he was happy to be at Island Bridge as he always regarded Dublin as a "Royal" city (UTV last night)

Galwaybhoy

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on May 19, 2011, 10:01:17 AM
Quote from: AZOffaly on May 19, 2011, 09:43:57 AM
I'm far from Enda Kenny's biggest fan Nally, but I think you are misrepresenting what he said. He said people were entitled to protest, peacefully. What he said was the he hoped they didn't embarrass our country in doing so. The lads setting fire to bins and throwing things at the gardai didn't heed him unfortunately, but there was only a few of them at least.

Absolutely nothing wrong with peaceful protest, but attacking Gardaí, vandalism and general thuggary is all we saw from these inbreds (the other inbreds, our visitors, behaved themselves  :D  )

Scumbags for the most part that are out only to cause trouble.  I'm sure though when either Manchester Utd/Liverpool play a friendly match against some Irish club they will be out in full force to cheer on 'their' team.  ::)

I had my reservations about this visit but so far I have been very proud as an Irish man.  I support a 32 county united Ireland, but by peaceful means.  Snubbing the Brits is not going to achieve anything.  The organisation of this visit involved risks on both sides.  From the worry of how the queen would be received in Ireland and for the Royal Family themselves I'm sure they worried about how the visit of the Queen to the Memorial Gardens and to Croke Park would go down back in Britain.

I was disappointed that most of the Ulster Counties decided to stay away but I suppose its more difficult for those in the north than it is for us down here.  But I feel we have still come along way.  There can be no more violence in Ireland in the future, its important for all that we try and move on from our violent past, whether you're Nationalist or Unionist.

Olly

Is the Queen still here? Will she be visiting other places like Knock, the Ardboe Cross and the settings for Ballykissangel or Glenroe or other places of richly important heritage to us?
Access to this webpage has been denied . This website has been categorised as "Sexual Material".

Applesisapples

As an Armaghman with strongly nationalist views I uphold the right of our Association to promote and protect all things Irish. However whilst acknowledging the hurt felt in Armagh, Tyrone, Derry, Fermanagh and Antrim over the harassment, occupation of grounds and indeed murder of members I do believe it is time to move on. Not unlike the Scots we Irish have a complicated relationship with Britain/England and one that has indeed caused hurt on both sides. Personally I would not have objected if my County had have been there yesterday, but I also know that for some it is perhaps too soon. And whilst 5 out of 9 abstained they at least did so without causing embarrassment by voicing dissent and this also must be commended. I welcome the visit and whilst I was uncomfortable the way some of Queen's speech was framed last night I do believe the whole thing will help National reconciliation.

Nally Stand

Lads, on this board and on all the tv reports we are being fed the line that those protesting are vandals and unemployed lowlifes. There were many many peaceful protests across dublin which have been roundly ignored. Better to portray opponants to the visit as the minset of neatderthal thugs isn't it?
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

Croí na hÉireann

The anti-war protest in front of the GPO was on the news, what other protests were there?
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

haranguerer

What to f**k was McAleese at going 'Waow' every time the queen said any irish title. Made her look like a simpleton, and more than a little patronising to the irish public - 'Isnt she great, she said an irish word, see how accomodating shes being'. Really annoyed me, why couldn't she have sat there with her mouth shut and mebbe gave the odd smile, just like the dignitary shes supposed to be

seafoid

This was sublime

Madam, – Now that "Éirigí" members have staged a sitdown protest in O'Connell Street, should the group be referred to as "Suígí"? Éirigí féin, b'fhéidir. – Yours, etc,
ALAN DOYLE,
Bóthar Belgrave,
An Charraig Dubh,
Baile Átha Cliath

5 Sams

Quote from: haranguerer on May 19, 2011, 11:20:02 AM
What to f**k was McAleese at going 'Waow' every time the queen said any irish title. Made her look like a simpleton, and more than a little patronising to the irish public - 'Isnt she great, she said an irish word, see how accomodating shes being'. Really annoyed me, why couldn't she have sat there with her mouth shut and mebbe gave the odd smile, just like the dignitary shes supposed to be

Not half as bad as Big Bird Robinson and thon false grin she permanently wears :-\
The Aristocrat Years

AQMP

I hope tonight the security detail do not mistake Mary Byrne for a protestor as she bellows in the Queen's face.

LeoMc

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on May 19, 2011, 07:09:39 AM
Incidentally, EG, Her Majesty started her speech today by speaking in Irish. Now when a northern politician does that it usually gets greeted by hisses and jeers from your crowd. What do youse think of the Irish language now that HM thinks it's okay to speak it?  And what do you think of HM honouring the fallen who fought for Irish independence?  Hmm?  And if it's okay for Her Majesty to associate with the GAA then surely it must now be okay for your crowd to do the same?

This trip must really be f***ing with your heads, musn't it?
Ah shure they are all the same! ::)

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: Nally Stand on May 19, 2011, 11:14:02 AM
Lads, on this board and on all the tv reports we are being fed the line that those protesting are vandals and unemployed lowlifes. There were many many peaceful protests across dublin which have been roundly ignored. Better to portray opponants to the visit as the minset of neatderthal thugs isn't it?

There is a phrase I have learned from the RA lovers on this board which comes to mind. Here goes my first time to use it. I think it suits most of those thugs.

"What else do you expect from pigs only grunts"
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Ya that irritated the f**k out of me too. For fck sake it wasn't like she sang our National Anthem or quoted Seán Óg Ó hAilpín accepting Liam. McAleese annoys my hole.

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: 5 Sams on May 19, 2011, 11:47:17 AM

Not half as bad as Big Bird Robinson and thon false grin she permanently wears :-\

Mayo Mary might be bad, but not half as bad as Build-a-Bridge Mary.