Get ready to wave them flegs - Lily Windsor's coming

Started by Fiodoir Ard Mhacha, June 23, 2010, 06:57:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AQMP

Two things Nordies have learned from the Royal visit

1.  Seamus McKee is a dose
2.  Paul "Columbo" Clarke is a complete oddball

AZOffaly

In fairness, she seems to be a lovely accomodating lady.

Declan

Letter in today's Times:  :D

Two conversations overheard in Dublin today (Tuesday). On the Luas, Spanish visitor remarking on the huge number of gardaí in O'Connell Street: "Police, police?" Dubliner helpfully says: "It's de Queen here today". "No understand," says the Spaniard, "no speak English". "It's de Queeno here today," explains the Dubliner in his best Spanish.

On the Dart, lady complaining about the traffic restrictions: "I have lost two hours' work today because of the Queen". Dubliner quick as a flash says: "Why don't you send the Queen an invoice?" Typical Dublin. – Yours etc.

Applesisapples

Quote from: AQMP on May 18, 2011, 09:11:23 AM
Two things Nordies have learned from the Royal visit

1.  Seamus McKee is a dose
2.  Paul "Columbo" Clarke is a complete oddball
That was obvious long time ago.

Canalman

For a man nearing 90 that Prince Philip is looking well.    Oh and I am aware that he hasn't worked a day in his life.

Croí na hÉireann

She was fairly close to making a spectacle of herself getting out of the Range Rover at the Aras yesterday, I wonder did she have any nervous second thoughts as the military inspection was being lined up...
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

Nally Stand

Quote from: carnaross on May 18, 2011, 07:43:04 AM
Maybe I'm being a little sensitive, but did anyone notice the British anthem being played at the garden? Could that be taken as an insult to the men there remembered? Why did the Irish government allow it?

As mentioned earlier, the men and women for whom that garden was built to remember, died for a 32 county republic. To quote James Connolly-Heron, that dream has not yet been realised. So to have her in there laying a wreath with the british national anthem playing is, in my eyes, hypocritical and an insult to our patriots.
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

AZOffaly

I actually took it another way. Those men died for a 32 county republic, and a 32 county republic will be achieved someday, as soon as the majority of people in both jurisdictions on this island want it.

I think that in itself is a huge step forward compared to what those men fought against.

For now, I believe that the british monarch visiting, and being respectful, at a monument to those who fought so hard and so desperately against her predecessors' forces on this island, is a hugely significant gesture, and shows to the world that britain acknowledges the legitimacy of the nation of Ireland to have fought for it's freedom, and indeed to be free.

When both parts of the island are ready to reunite, I don't think Britain will stand in it's way, and I think the gesture yesterday affirms that which is basically agreed in the GFA.

Nally Stand

Well as I say, I regard it as an insult and know a number of family members of people who died fighting for Irish Freedom who feel totally alienated by what happened. What sickens me most is thos bullshit line that it is the final piece of the jigsaw. The jigsaw is not complete.
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

armaghniac

This visit is one of series of things where someone had the courage to go ahead even though there is unfinished business. The entire Stormont project at present is one such example, why should nationalists assist in their own occupation? They do so because, on balance, it is advanced unity in this country. I think, on balance, this visit advances unity in this country.
And taking a GAA perspective, if Queen Liz can visit Casement aerodrome, why can anyone in NI from the unionist tradition not visit Casement stadium?

If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Rossfan

Get over it Nally .
If some oul woman wants to lay a wreath at the memorial to our patriot dead I for one have no problem with it.
It was more respectful than what those arseholes who were protesting were at.

One way or t'other I have no intention of losing any sleep over it.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

AZOffaly

If you take all the media bullshite out of it, and the mature nation stuff, and the end of the line stuff, what have you left.

You have the titular head of a nation, which has caused huge amounts of pain and suffering in this country, visiting the free part of the island as an invited guest, an equal. And you have her, in a hugely significant moment, paying tribute to those who resisted british rule in ALL of Ireland.

I think those of a republican viewpoint should be encouraged by this as it simply reinforces the notion that 'some day' it will happen, and Britain will not necessarily be averse to it. Of course I could be reading way too much into it, but I think this visit is far more significant and worthy of attention than the rameis that went on about the Royal wedding.

Lar Naparka

Quote from: AZOffaly on May 18, 2011, 10:27:39 AM
I actually took it another way. Those men died for a 32 county republic, and a 32 county republic will be achieved someday, as soon as the majority of people in both jurisdictions on this island want it.

I think that in itself is a huge step forward compared to what those men fought against.

For now, I believe that the british monarch visiting, and being respectful, at a monument to those who fought so hard and so desperately against her predecessors' forces on this island, is a hugely significant gesture, and shows to the world that britain acknowledges the legitimacy of the nation of Ireland to have fought for it's freedom, and indeed to be free.

When both parts of the island are ready to reunite, I don't think Britain will stand in it's way, and I think the gesture yesterday affirms that which is basically agreed in the GFA.

I agree fully with you. AZ and I'm being in no way disrespectful towards the memory of those whom the garden commemorates. It is obvious that the Queen has come on bridge building mission.
Her arrival on the anniversary of the Dublin and Monaghan bombings along with her visits to the Garden and to Croke Park is an indication of this. This being so, I think we should wait to hear her out before making any judgements.
Now, there is another matter to consider; when we speak of a united Ireland, it is well to keep in mind that not all the people of the island wish see this come about.
All of them are not from the Unionist side of the fence either.
I would safely say that, for everyone living Irish person who wants to see a United Ireland, there is at least one other who doesn't give a damn or who would actively oppose it.
That is the stark reality; I have no hang ups at all about the Garden or what stands for but there are many who have. 
We will never have any form of a United Ireland until all parties concerned come to a mutual understanding will respect all traditions.

I think the Queen started the process yesterday.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Bingo

Not sure were to post this but it made me laugh - from RTE tracker on visit of the Queen:

1054 One of the top stallions at the National Stud in Kildare was killed in an accident yesterday, just two days before the visit there by Queen Elizabeth.

17-year-old Verglas, who was with the stud since 2005, was one of the top ten Irish-based sires of 2010.

The Chief Executive of the National Stud, John Osborne said the horse died following a tragic accident during the normal course of business yesterday afternoon.

Kinky sex games gone wrong in the stud world?

AQMP

Quote from: Bingo on May 18, 2011, 11:17:04 AM
Not sure were to post this but it made me laugh - from RTE tracker on visit of the Queen:

1054 One of the top stallions at the National Stud in Kildare was killed in an accident yesterday, just two days before the visit there by Queen Elizabeth.

17-year-old Verglas, who was with the stud since 2005, was one of the top ten Irish-based sires of 2010.

The Chief Executive of the National Stud, John Osborne said the horse died following a tragic accident during the normal course of business yesterday afternoon.

Kinky sex games gone wrong in the stud world?

Sad...but what a way to go!