Get ready to wave them flegs - Lily Windsor's coming

Started by Fiodoir Ard Mhacha, June 23, 2010, 06:57:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

muppet

Quote from: Banana Man on April 12, 2011, 05:23:38 PM
it's like talking to a stuffed animal - sorry i am

no-one has offered me a breakdown of why President Obama will bring a tourism boost to Ireland, the demographic breakdown of the american visitors is massively limited to retired Irish Americans, America is officially out of recession so we will see a bounce in those visiting these shores, the number of non irish americans increasing in visits to here will be largely limited, and him spending 5 hours here will not boost that in any way shape or form, i suspect it will not even make the news headlines so any exposure will be of little use, he was in south america a couple of weeks ago will that boost tourism there? highly doubtful, no one can give me an argument for the economic benefits that will accrue from this, least of all you

This is what you said.

Quoteplease tell me what tourism benefits will be derived from Obama spending 5 hours on the aul sod

The extra mass he will add to Ireland will increase our gravitational pull on Americans.......no that can't be it
All those extra people in his entourage will lower our elevation and some of the biggest americans will roll here....no wait.

What could the benefits possibly be?

the only person that should be embarrased is you, you mentioned my opposition to Obama, not president but obama now you are going round in circles trying to deflect from your terrible excuse for debating.

Any chance of you putting up my exact quote which will easily prove whether I mentioned the word President or not? Didn't think so.

Now why don't you slide on back down to Sesame street, i think they are doing the letter 'Z' today, nice we easy one to break you in, good lad
I'm not as advanced as you I still watch cbeebies.
MWWSI 2017

Puckoon

America is officially out of recession so we will see a bounce in those visiting these shores, the number of non irish americans increasing in visits to here will be largely limited, and him spending 5 hours here will not boost that in any way shape or form, i suspect it will not even make the news headlines so any exposure will be of little use, he was in south america a couple of weeks ago will that boost tourism there?

It is? I wish to f**k someone would tell us in Nevada.

muppet

Quote from: Puckoon on April 12, 2011, 05:41:00 PM
America is officially out of recession so we will see a bounce in those visiting these shores, the number of non irish americans increasing in visits to here will be largely limited, and him spending 5 hours here will not boost that in any way shape or form, i suspect it will not even make the news headlines so any exposure will be of little use, he was in south america a couple of weeks ago will that boost tourism there?

http://krugman.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/12/29/ireland-nevada/
MWWSI 2017

muppet

President Reagan Visitor Centre in Ballypooreen:

Website of the Kennedy Cultural Museum and Visitor Centre in Dunganstown in Wexford.
http://www.kennedyhomestead.com/main.htm
MWWSI 2017

Tyrones own

I raised a bit of an eyebrow at that one too!
It's not entirely their fault back there... It's simply what's being sold them as to the fine job Obama would do/has done in office  ::) inaccurate would be a massive understatement as the country is still well and truly on it's knees  :'(
Where all think alike, no one thinks very much.
  - Walter Lippmann

Evil Genius

Quote from: muppet on April 12, 2011, 05:50:46 PM

Website of the Kennedy Cultural Museum and Visitor Centre in Dunganstown in Wexford.

Notable Americans of Scotch-Irish descent:

Andrew Jackson
7th President, 1829-37: He was born in the predominantly Ulster-Scots Waxhaws area of South Carolina two years after his parents left Boneybefore, near Carrickfergus in County Antrim. A heritage centre in the village pays tribute to the legacy of 'Old Hickory', the People's President. Andrew Jackson then moved to Tennessee, where he served as Governor.

James Knox Polk
11th President, 1845-49: His ancestors were among the first Ulster-Scots settlers, emigrating from Coleraine in 1680 to become a powerful political family in Mecklenburg County, North Carolina. He moved to Tennessee and became its governor before winning the presidency.

James Buchanan
15th President, 1857-61: Born in a log cabin (which has been relocated to his old school in Mercersburg, Pennsylvania), 'Old Buck' cherished his origins: "My Ulster blood is a priceless heritage". The Buchanans were originally from Deroran, near Omagh in County Tyrone where the ancestral home still stands.

Andrew Johnson
17th President, 1865-69: His grandfather left Mounthill, near Larne in County Antrim around 1750 and settled in North Carolina. Andrew worked there as a tailor and ran a successful business in Greeneville, Tennessee, before being elected Vice-President. He became President following Abraham Lincoln's assassination.

Ulysses S. Grant
18th President, 1869-77: The home of his maternal great-grandfather, John Simpson, at Dergenagh, County Tyrone, is the location for an exhibition on the eventful life of the victorious Civil War commander who served two terms as President. Grant visited his ancestral homeland in 1878.

Chester A. Arthur
21st President, 1881-85: His election was the start of a quarter-century in which the White House was occupied by men of Ulster-Scots origins. His family left Dreen, near Cullybackey, County Antrim, in 1815. There is now an interpretive centre, alongside the Arthur Ancestral Home, devoted to his life and times.

Grover Cleveland
22nd and 24th President, 1885-89 and 1893-97: Born in New Jersey, he was the maternal grandson of merchant Abner Neal, who emigrated from County Antrim in the 1790s. He is the only president to have served non-consecutive terms.

Benjamin Harrison
23rd President, 1889-93: His mother, Elizabeth Irwin, had Ulster-Scots roots through her two great-grandfathers, James Irwin and William McDowell. Harrison was born in Ohio and served as a brigadier general in the Union Army before embarking on a career in Indiana politics which led to the White House.

William McKinley
25th President, 1897-1901: Born in Ohio, the descendant of a farmer from Conagher, near Ballymoney, County Antrim, he was proud of his ancestry and addressed one of the national Scotch-Irish congresses held in the late 19th century. His second term as president was cut short by an assassin's bullet.

Theodore Roosevelt
26th President, 1901-09: His mother, Mittie Bulloch, had Ulster Scots ancestors who emigrated from Glenoe, County Antrim, in May 1729. Roosevelt praised "Irish Presbyterians" as "a bold and hardy race."[67] However, he is also the man who said: "But a hyphenated American is not an American at all. This is just as true of the man who puts "native"* before the hyphen as of the man who puts German or Irish or English or French before the hyphen." [1] (*Roosevelt was referring to "nativists", not American Indians, in this context)

Woodrow Wilson
28th President, 1913-21: Of Ulster-Scot descent on both sides of the family, his roots were very strong and dear to him. He was grandson of a printer from Dergalt, near Strabane, County Tyrone, whose former home is open to visitors.

Richard Nixon
37th President, 1969-74: The Nixon ancestors left Ulster in the mid-18th century; the Quaker Milhous family ties were with County Antrim and County Kildare.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scotch-Irish_American
"If you come in here again, you'd better bring guns"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

Nally Stand

I wonder will Barack O'Bama get Christy's approval?

HEY RONNIE REAGAN
(Spoken Intro)Their was a terrible fenzy when that man came here.
Their was a terrible frenzy when Ronnie Reagan came.
Himself and his wife and his entourage epitomised all that is unpalatable about America.
They came here and pushed everyone aside, walked upon our ways and trampled upon our culture
- purely for photo opportuinities.
All the gobshites and charaltans had a field day on this occasion of gross crassness and bad taste.
Doubtless there are a large amount of the same surrounding the visit of John F. Kennedy
and Bill Clinton but somehow their visits also had aspects of genuine empathy
and love for this tiny island.
At the time of Reagans visit I would not have been a big fan of the Irish special branch,
but I nevertheless was irked by the manner in which the U.S. police came in
and literally shoved our poor men aside. I recall seeing large helicopters
down in Munster one day and their was an eerie discomfort at the huge invasive
precence around the country. Babies were kissed, lounges got a coat of paint,
toilets got paper and Garret giggled and fawned.
The island of saints and scholars and gombeens and f**king arselickers.

CHORUS:
Hey Ronnie Reagan, I'm black and I'm pagan,
I'm gay and I'm left and I'm free.
I'm a non-fundamentalist environmentalist,
Please don't bother me.

You're so cool playing poker with death as the joker,
You've nerve but you don't assure us -
With your paranoid vistas of mad Sandinistas,
Are you really defending Honduras?
We can dig shelter holes when we've bartered our souls,
As for Pershing and Cruise we can shovel,
While the myth of our dreams turns to nightmares it seems,
From the White House straight back to the hovel.
(CHORUS)
Now the Irish dimension has caught your attention
I'm asking myself whats your game
Do you eyes share the tears of the last twenty years
Or is that just a vote catchers gleam
Your dollars may beckon but I think we should reckon
The cost of accepting your gold
If you get your way, what a price we will pay
Whats left when our freedom is sold
(CHORUS)
You'll be wearing the green down at Ballyporeen,
The town of the little potato
Put your arms around Garret and dangle your carrot
But you'll never get me to join NATO
I've watched you for years amongst laughter and tears
As you act out your games of deception
And despite what you see there's no welcome from me,
And I firmly oppose your reception
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: Evil Genius on April 12, 2011, 06:04:52 PM
Quote from: muppet on April 12, 2011, 05:50:46 PM

Notable Americans of Scotch-Irish descent:

Andrew Jackson
7th President, 1829-37: He was born in the predominantly Ulster-Scots Waxhaws area of South Carolina two years after his parents left Boneybefore, near Carrickfergus in County Antrim. A heritage centre in the village pays tribute to the legacy of 'Old Hickory', the People's President. Andrew Jackson then moved to Tennessee, where he served as Governor.

James Knox Polk
11th President, 1845-49: His ancestors were among the first Ulster-Scots settlers, emigrating from Coleraine in 1680 to become a powerful political family in Mecklenburg County, North Carolina. He moved to Tennessee and became its governor before winning the presidency.

James Buchanan
15th President, 1857-61: Born in a log cabin (which has been relocated to his old school in Mercersburg, Pennsylvania), 'Old Buck' cherished his origins: "My Ulster blood is a priceless heritage". The Buchanans were originally from Deroran, near Omagh in County Tyrone where the ancestral home still stands.

Andrew Johnson
17th President, 1865-69: His grandfather left Mounthill, near Larne in County Antrim around 1750 and settled in North Carolina. Andrew worked there as a tailor and ran a successful business in Greeneville, Tennessee, before being elected Vice-President. He became President following Abraham Lincoln's assassination.

Ulysses S. Grant
18th President, 1869-77: The home of his maternal great-grandfather, John Simpson, at Dergenagh, County Tyrone, is the location for an exhibition on the eventful life of the victorious Civil War commander who served two terms as President. Grant visited his ancestral homeland in 1878.

Chester A. Arthur
21st President, 1881-85: His election was the start of a quarter-century in which the White House was occupied by men of Ulster-Scots origins. His family left Dreen, near Cullybackey, County Antrim, in 1815. There is now an interpretive centre, alongside the Arthur Ancestral Home, devoted to his life and times.

Grover Cleveland
22nd and 24th President, 1885-89 and 1893-97: Born in New Jersey, he was the maternal grandson of merchant Abner Neal, who emigrated from County Antrim in the 1790s. He is the only president to have served non-consecutive terms.

Benjamin Harrison
23rd President, 1889-93: His mother, Elizabeth Irwin, had Ulster-Scots roots through her two great-grandfathers, James Irwin and William McDowell. Harrison was born in Ohio and served as a brigadier general in the Union Army before embarking on a career in Indiana politics which led to the White House.

William McKinley
25th President, 1897-1901: Born in Ohio, the descendant of a farmer from Conagher, near Ballymoney, County Antrim, he was proud of his ancestry and addressed one of the national Scotch-Irish congresses held in the late 19th century. His second term as president was cut short by an assassin's bullet.

Theodore Roosevelt
26th President, 1901-09: His mother, Mittie Bulloch, had Ulster Scots ancestors who emigrated from Glenoe, County Antrim, in May 1729. Roosevelt praised "Irish Presbyterians" as "a bold and hardy race."[67] However, he is also the man who said: "But a hyphenated American is not an American at all. This is just as true of the man who puts "native"* before the hyphen as of the man who puts German or Irish or English or French before the hyphen." [1] (*Roosevelt was referring to "nativists", not American Indians, in this context)

Woodrow Wilson
28th President, 1913-21: Of Ulster-Scot descent on both sides of the family, his roots were very strong and dear to him. He was grandson of a printer from Dergalt, near Strabane, County Tyrone, whose former home is open to visitors.

Richard Nixon
37th President, 1969-74: The Nixon ancestors left Ulster in the mid-18th century; the Quaker Milhous family ties were with County Antrim and County Kildare.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scotch-Irish_American

Fixed that for ya E.G.

Actually mates with one of Woodrow Wilson's English relatives. Just back from the pub with here actually.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

Banana Man

Quote from: Tyrones own on April 12, 2011, 05:53:23 PM

It's not entirely their fault back there... It's simply what's being sold them as to the fine job Obama would do/has done in office  ::) inaccurate would be a massive understatement as the country is still well and truly on it's knees  :'(

lads i work for a company that has a sister US company, the CEO had a global call with everyone last week and stated that the recession is officially over in the states, it might not seem it but it goes on market growth and contraction, technically for a recession is 2 quarters of consecutive contractions and vice versa to come out, to qualify being out of recession is 2 quarters of growth no matter how small, that doesn't mean it filters through to day to day events and relaise it self with a feel good factor but that is the theoretical event for it.....

Banana Man

Quote from: muppet on April 12, 2011, 05:31:52 PM
it's like talking to a stuffed animal - sorry i am

no-one has offered me a breakdown of why President Obama will bring a tourism boost to Ireland, the demographic breakdown of the american visitors is massively limited to retired Irish Americans, America is officially out of recession so we will see a bounce in those visiting these shores, the number of non irish americans increasing in visits to here will be largely limited, and him spending 5 hours here will not boost that in any way shape or form, i suspect it will not even make the news headlines so any exposure will be of little use, he was in south america a couple of weeks ago will that boost tourism there? highly doubtful, no one can give me an argument for the economic benefits that will accrue from this, least of all you

This is what you said.

Quoteplease tell me what tourism benefits will be derived from Obama spending 5 hours on the aul sod

The extra mass he will add to Ireland will increase our gravitational pull on Americans.......no that can't be it
All those extra people in his entourage will lower our elevation and some of the biggest americans will roll here....no wait.

What could the benefits possibly be?

the only person that should be embarrased is you, you mentioned my opposition to Obama, not president but obama now you are going round in circles trying to deflect from your terrible excuse for debating.

Any chance of you putting up my exact quote which will easily prove whether I mentioned the word President or not? Didn't think so.

Now why don't you slide on back down to Sesame street, i think they are doing the letter 'Z' today, nice we easy one to break you in, good lad
I'm not as advanced as you I still watch cbeebies.

right so for all your bluster you still can't answer the question and fire out childish points, no point engaging you further as you obviously don't want to seriously engage and no other method of debating (and i use the term loosely) than resorting to childish remarks and personal abuse

as for your exact quote it followed the line 'and i quote' can you not grasp that??? i give up

thebigfella

Quote from: Banana Man on April 13, 2011, 08:54:47 AM
Quote from: Tyrones own on April 12, 2011, 05:53:23 PM

lads i work for a company that has a sister US company, the CEO had a global call with everyone last week and stated that the recession is officially over in the states, it might not seem it but it goes on market growth and contraction, technically for a recession is 2 quarters of consecutive contractions and vice versa to come out, to qualify being out of recession is 2 quarters of growth no matter how small, that doesn't mean it filters through to day to day events and relaise it self with a feel good factor but that is the theoretical event for it.....

Glad you cleared that up

muppet

Quote from: Banana Man on April 13, 2011, 08:57:35 AM
right so for all your bluster you still can't answer the question and fire out childish points, no point engaging you further as you obviously don't want to seriously engage and no other method of debating (and i use the term loosely) than resorting to childish remarks and personal abuse

as for your exact quote it followed the line 'and i quote' can you not grasp that??? i give up

Now you are simply lying.

This is what I wrote:
Quoteif people have ideological reasons for not wanting President Obama to come they should state them or say nothing.

This is what you still claim I wrote:
Quoteyou mentioned my opposition to Obama, not president but obama

By the way you fill your own posts with insults while whinging about other people insulting you. If you that easily offended maybe you should stay out of the fire.
MWWSI 2017

saffron sam2

Quote from: Nally Stand on April 12, 2011, 06:24:01 PM
HEY RONNIE REAGAN
Hey Ronnie Reagan, I'm black and I'm pagan,
I'm gay and I'm left and I'm free.
I'm a non-fundamentalist environmentalist,
Please don't bother me.

You're so cool playing poker with death as the joker,
You've nerve but you don't assure us -
With your paranoid vistas of mad Sandinistas,
Are you really defending Honduras?
We can dig shelter holes when we've bartered our souls,
As for Pershing and Cruise we can shovel,
While the myth of our dreams turns to nightmares it seems,
From the White House straight back to the hovel.
(CHORUS)
Now the Irish dimension has caught your attention
I'm asking myself whats your game
Do you eyes share the tears of the last twenty years
Or is that just a vote catchers gleam
Your dollars may beckon but I think we should reckon
The cost of accepting your gold
If you get your way, what a price we will pay
Whats left when our freedom is sold
(CHORUS)
You'll be wearing the green down at Ballyporeen,
The town of the little potato
Put your arms around Garret and dangle your carrot
But you'll never get me to join NATO
I've watched you for years amongst laughter and tears
As you act out your games of deception
And despite what you see there's no welcome from me,
And I firmly oppose your reception

That song was a staple at many parties I would have attended in the 80s, although no-one ever seemed to know the first part of the second line of the chorus.
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

Banana Man

Quote from: muppet on April 13, 2011, 10:34:05 AM

This is what I wrote:
Quoteif people have ideological reasons for not wanting President Obama to come they should state them or say nothing.

By the way you fill your own posts with insults while whinging about other people insulting you. If you that easily offended maybe you should stay out of the fire.

you still don't get this???

stay out of the fire??? i put up a point about the garda budget and you were the one who slid in with name calling and abuse, you're the one who took the first shot, continued to talk shite until you tried to piggyback of a sensible argument hours later then tried to twist things, i'd love to see what insults i threw

not easily offended, just disappointed that you can't be civil and try and make a point without trying to find ulterior motives for why someone would post something - you still haven't answered my point about the garda budget, i'm waiting....

muppet

Quote from: Banana Man on April 13, 2011, 11:32:23 AM
Quote from: muppet on April 13, 2011, 10:34:05 AM

This is what I wrote:

you still don't get this???

stay out of the fire??? i put up a point about the garda budget and you were the one who slid in with name calling and abuse, you're the one who took the first shot, continued to talk shite until you tried to piggyback of a sensible argument hours later then tried to twist things, i'd love to see what insults i threw

not easily offended, just disappointed that you can't be civil and try and make a point without trying to find ulterior motives for why someone would post something - you still haven't answered my point about the garda budget, i'm waiting....

You could not see any tourism benefits from a visit by the President of USA. I thought this was a straw man argument for some other agenda as, to me, it seems ludicrous. It now seems that you actually do hold really this opinion. That is your right and my mistake for assuming there had to be more to it than that.

As for your question this thread has offered many answers but you refuse to even acknowledge them. I posted links to two museum and visitor centres which came out of previous visits by serving Presidents. These have provided decades of employment and receive thousands of vistors annually. You ignored them. Jim Murphy posted the more obvious exposure angle of this type of visit.

You then resorted to misquoting me, I notice you have gone quiet on that.

As for your insults towards me, they are water off a ducks back like most people on here. This is an internet discussion board and flaming is pretty common place. But your indignation about insults thrown at you while doing exactly the same is hypocritical.

"You have just lose any crumbling remains of credibility with that absolutely ludicrous statement that i have ideological concerns over Obama - you are named well, you really are a muppet"
"you really are in knots now you muppet"
"it's like talking to a stuffed animal - sorry i am" -
"Now why don't you slide on back down to Sesame street, i think they are doing the letter 'Z' today, nice we easy one to break you in, good lad"

Finally I am now subject to accusations of 'anti-SF prejudice' on another thread specifically for arguing with you on this one. I am not saying that is anything to do with you but can you shed any light as to why a poster would write that?

MWWSI 2017