Dublin v Meath Sunday 27th June

Started by Declan, June 21, 2010, 09:26:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thejuice

I'll hardly get a cheap flight for this one at this late stage. Feck it, I'd love to go.

Think we have a really decent chance of winning this one, 1st time in 9 years. Hard to believe its been that long. Can still remember the Hill in full voice and arms aloft the day we relinguished dominance to the Dubs in 2002.

What worried me was our fitness the 1st day compared to the Dubs who never let up for the 90minutes where as we tired towards the end of the 70mins. Havent seen the replay yet but it seems injuries have forced our hand here.

Meade and Gilespie will be our midfield, McGuinness or O'Brien will have to fill in for Burke. (according to reports he wouldnt have broken his leg if he had shorter hair, source unconfirmed)
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

DUBSFORSAM1

Quote from: Canalman on June 21, 2010, 02:31:32 PM
Personally would like to see us lose this one. Qualifiers mght suit us better this year and if we are to be bet (highly likely) would prefer it to be without having won Leinster. "6 Leinsters no Sam" is not the sneer I want to hear.

O'Sullivan will be back in 3weeks or so.

Happy enough with our attitude at underage level to write this season off.

However, I feel that (just  a hunch mind) that we will take one of the "big three" down this season  but won't be able to down 2/3 of them to win it out.

3 lads on team last time imo not intercounty material.

Sorry but no Dublin fan should even be contemplating looking forward to losing to Meath or any other team.....This idea that losing a game is a good idea is bollix in my opinion...

paddypastit

Cannot see a case for anything other than Meath by 6+
come disagree with me on http://gushtystuppencehapenny.wordpress.com/ and spread the word

Hound

"6 Leinsters no Sam" is not the sneer I want to hear.
"no Leinsters no Sam" would be a lot worse!!

While winning Leinster this year is no big concern of mine, it is great that the Meath rivalry is back and I'm damn sure I don't want to be reminded whats it like to lose to those guys.

I can certainly understand why neutrals lke paddypastit and Dinny Breen are not only predicting a Meath win, but a relatively comfortable Meath win.  Dublin will presumably be favourites with the bookies, but I reckon the majority of pundits will go for Meath. And given the Dubs have beaten them so many times in a row, by the law of averages Meath will win one shortly.

The Wexford game by itself doesnt worry me, but it is on the back of a mediocre league campaign (two decent performances bookending 5 disappointing ones - even if we somehow won 3 of those), and we've been stinkingly bad in challenge games.

However, the criticisms have been done to death, now is the time to be positive. If Kerry, Tyrone, or even Meath had come back from 7 points down and 1 man down with 20 minutes or so left, I believe they might have got a tad more praise, and it would have been put down to more than fitness. The comeback started with two great points off their weaker left foot by Flynn and Alan Brogan. The pass to Bernard by Keaney for the goal was inch perfect.  We have some footballers, and we played some nice football towards the end.

Will we be good enough to beat Meath? I hope so. I think so!
Either way, here's hoping for a good tough clean game, and that the best team wins.

Jinxy

Every Dub I meet is telling me Meath will hammer them.  ::)
If you were any use you'd be playing.

meathie

Looks like Crawford will play some part on Sunday, that is a relief! Moyles ok too.I used to hate people building Meath up but this year Im going with the flow! Its worked so far. We're quietly confident, I like when we're quietly confident. Look Dublin/Meath games are unknown every year. this one will be no different. Talk us up play yourselves down, makes no odds come the day, we just dont know!

western exile

Quote from: Zapatista on June 21, 2010, 02:40:06 PM
Personally would like to see us lose this one. Qualifiers mght suit us better this year and if we are to be bet (highly likely) would prefer it to be without having won Leinster. "6 Leinsters no Sam" is not the sneer I want to hear.

Would you like to gamble on a meeting with Cork next time out rather than a softer option in the Leinster final. If you think Dublin wouldn't get past 2 of the big teams losing in Leinster is increasing the chance of meeting 2 of them earlier.
plus the team that will lose this one goes into round 2 of the qualifiers, whereas the winner will end up in either round 4 or the AI quarter-final. Big difference. Only a fool would want to lose this one.

DB_An_Mhi

I think what Canalman meant to say was that it might be a blessing in disguise if Dublin lost this match. Winning Leinster for the past five years didn't benefit them for what followed in the AI championship.

If Dublin had to go on the road and play a few championship games outside Dublin, especially with a newish team, they may learn far more about themselves. If you embrace the playoffs and get a nice draw or two early on to build some momentum (get you started), things can develop nicely. It can also iron out selection mistakes of the past, build/find out the best possible team from the players to hand, so your more prepared for the bigger stage later on. The journey around Ireland playing various matches (emotional rollercoaster-ride of sorts, hard graft, tension, dreams and aspirations, travelling etc.) is character building and good for team spirit.

A long GAA summer can be very rewarding/memorable for the journey itself. Make the most of it. Only two counties can reach the ultimate destination and one win the prize.

thejuice

Good news about Crawford,

Gillespie will most likely get the bench but I wouldnt be shocked if he gets a run if Crawford cant hack the pace.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Hardy

Yes - it's going to be hard for Crawford to come in at Championship sharpness straight from injury. Midfield parity (at least) is paramount. If we don't have this from the throw-in, it could be too late realising it after twenty minutes when the game is gone. I'd be for picking a three-man midfield, with Moyles at no. 10 or 12.

AN other

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on June 22, 2010, 12:56:02 PM
Got pissed on in the front row of the Canal at the last Dublin Eastmeath game

Jaysus that's low, but you come to expect that from them lads I suppose  :D I hope they didn't get it on your runners or anything...

The Aristocrat

Not a hope Dublin will win this one, Meath by 7 or 8 at least, Meath deserve the favorite tag. I just hope Dublins young new lads wont take it so hard for future sakes. Ah well.

Pups

What drugs are ye all on. Dublin will whoop 'em!  Dublin by 5+. You heard it here first :)

heffo

Quote from: Jinxy on June 22, 2010, 10:37:39 AM
Every Dub I meet is telling me Meath will hammer them.  ::)

Listen to those fellas - they know what they're talking about

Hound

Rory O'Carroll played centre half back for the Dublin U21 hurlers last night in their great win over Kilkenny. A bit of a surprise given he's (presumably) dead cert to play full back on Sunday for the footballers. Its not like the Dubs to be accommodating to dual players!