USFC Final 2010, Clones, Sunday 18th July: Tír Eoghain vs Muineachán

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, June 20, 2010, 05:15:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

imtommygunn

Quote from: GrandMasterFlash on July 02, 2010, 12:20:38 PM
Quote from: ONeill on July 02, 2010, 10:37:25 AM
Arse-boxin aside, Monaghan have been mightily impressive this year. They dismantled Armagh like no other side in recent years (prob a decade) and treated Fermanagh like pesky irritants. It was like the Tyrone of 2003. Monaghan seem to be in the zone - a team hell bent of securing the legacy of this side with an Ulster title and they'll trample over anything that gets in their way. If Tyrone fall the same way as Armagh and Fermanagh then they deserve all the plaudits that'll come their way, especially after the abuse that befell them v Derry in 2009. How much of that is down to Grimley I don't know but last year Monaghan looked like a team that'd emptied the tank this last 3-4 years.

However, Tyrone are in a position that is rather advantageous. No matter what the bookies say (they'll have Tyrone odds-on) the majority of pundits and general public will fancy Monaghan to take this one. Tyrone haven't really put together a good half this year whilst Monaghan are blitzing sides. Sean Cavanagh was in the paper last week talking about 'this great Monaghan side' that everyone is going on about and how they're up against it. The pressure really is on Monaghan now. Can they deliver? Against Kerry twice and Tyrone twice in the last five years they had the chance to announce their arrival as a genuine heavyweight but fell short. It's now or never in terms of winning an Anglo-Celt for the first time in nearly a quarter of a century.

Tyrone on the other hand don't really have much pressure on them. They've loosely talked about winning back-to-back Ulsters but not with much conviction in terms of it being an all-consuming goal. For the first time in Mickey's reign, Tyrone can approach a championship game knowing that win or lose, they're still on course - a loss will only be a slight blip and maybe a welcome extra game before the quarters. No one would begrudge Monaghan an Ulster title. Have they the knackers to grasp it?

Incidentally, I've heard people claim that this is a Monaghan outfit who know this is their last big push - how many of that side are 28-32?

Good assessment O'Neill. They have fallen short in all their years together (taking 2004 as the starting point), apart from the NFL Div2 title that year (it's all relative lads!). On the age profile I'd say the following squad players are between 28-32;

Shane Duffy
Dermot McArdle
JP Mone
Gary McQuaid
Damien Freeman
Dick Clerkin
Rory Woods
Paul Finlay (might be just 28)
Tommy Freeman

GMF what about Vinny Mone? Damien Freeman is the other side of that age bracket...

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: Main Street on July 01, 2010, 07:17:57 PM
You make Benny Hill appear highbrow.

Maybe this smartass editing of quotes is regarded as great craic in Tyrone.   
And no doubt the other Tyronies who have been struggling with basic comprehension would find it all a hoot.

Does this moronic schoolyard stuff happen in all the Tyrone threads?

:D :D :D

Fish in a barrel.

Still, for someone who passionately believes that some Indian bloke can survive for decades on nothing more than ambient air, there's no reason why Monaghan can't win an Ulster on nothing more than hot air, especially as expelled from your rear end.

Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

GrandMasterFlash

Quote from: imtommygunn on July 02, 2010, 12:49:49 PM
Arse-boxin aside, Monaghan have been mightily impressive this year. They dismantled Armagh like no other side in recent years (prob a decade) and treated Fermanagh like pesky irritants. It was like the Tyrone of 2003. Monaghan seem to be in the zone - a team hell bent of securing the legacy of this side with an Ulster title and they'll trample over anything that gets in their way. If Tyrone fall the same way as Armagh and Fermanagh then they deserve all the plaudits that'll come their way, especially after the abuse that befell them v Derry in 2009. How much of that is down to Grimley I don't know but last year Monaghan looked like a team that'd emptied the tank this last 3-4 years.

However, Tyrone are in a position that is rather advantageous. No matter what the bookies say (they'll have Tyrone odds-on) the majority of pundits and general public will fancy Monaghan to take this one. Tyrone haven't really put together a good half this year whilst Monaghan are blitzing sides. Sean Cavanagh was in the paper last week talking about 'this great Monaghan side' that everyone is going on about and how they're up against it. The pressure really is on Monaghan now. Can they deliver? Against Kerry twice and Tyrone twice in the last five years they had the chance to announce their arrival as a genuine heavyweight but fell short. It's now or never in terms of winning an Anglo-Celt for the first time in nearly a quarter of a century.

Tyrone on the other hand don't really have much pressure on them. They've loosely talked about winning back-to-back Ulsters but not with much conviction in terms of it being an all-consuming goal. For the first time in Mickey's reign, Tyrone can approach a championship game knowing that win or lose, they're still on course - a loss will only be a slight blip and maybe a welcome extra game before the quarters. No one would begrudge Monaghan an Ulster title. Have they the knackers to grasp it?

Incidentally, I've heard people claim that this is a Monaghan outfit who know this is their last big push - how many of that side are 28-32?

Good assessment O'Neill. They have fallen short in all their years together (taking 2004 as the starting point), apart from the NFL Div2 title that year (it's all relative lads!). On the age profile I'd say the following squad players are between 28-32;

Shane Duffy
Dermot McArdle
JP Mone
Gary McQuaid
Damien Freeman
Dick Clerkin
Rory Woods
Tommy Freeman

GMF what about Vinny Mone? Damien Freeman is the other side of that age bracket...

Vinney Corey or Dessie Mone?? Neither are over 28 AFAIK. Damien Freeman and Dermot McArdle are indeed the other end, 33ish I think..

Stall the Bailer

I presume the teams will be playing in their second colours. Do Tyrone have a new red jersey designed yet?

GrandMasterFlash

Quote from: Stall the Bailer on July 02, 2010, 02:23:49 PM
I presume the teams will be playing in their second colours. Do Tyrone have a new red jersey designed yet?

It's hard to know what colour Monaghan will turn up in..  ::) The choice costs them €6000 though!

Fuzzman

Just back from week's training & I notice my name all over this thread
I'll have to check did the wife or the young cub do any other damage.

I think this could be the best Ulster final for a long time if Monaghan continue their standard of improvement.
Tactically I'd say Harte might have one over on the Monaghan bench as he knows most of his players can play various different ways but that could also be our downfall.

I think its very important that SoN is back fit & ready to go from the start
Mugsy's game suffers for one when Stevie's not there and even though Big Sean can play 14 well, he's not got the same FF cleverness to know when to turn & shoot or when to flick it on and tends not to bring others into play as well.

I think wee Tommy Freeman is a great wee player even though he annoys me so much with his attitude and often finger pointing at defenders marking him
Of course he'll be a marked man as will McManus  ;) but Tyrone are well used to dealing with teams with a few good forwards

So as usual it will come down to how well we break even around the middle and can Hub & prob Colm Cava get a grip of the game here and not let Monaghan get too much ball into their FF line

I think it could be a fascinating challenge as many would say Monaghan are still on the way up whilst many are still doubting that Tyrone are on the way down.

Having Joey & Justy fit the last year or two has really added some solidity to our defense and as we know both can push forward & take scores.

I'm still reasonably confident we can push on & struggle past Monaghan but if not maybe an extra game going into a 1/4 final might be of benefit as often we have seen the provincial winners get screwed over waiting weeks for their next game.

Anyways I reckon it will end up being a Tyrone v Derry Final with the Bradley brothers being reunited with Jame Kielt player of the year.

I'll get my coat

dropped short

What do you think the match up's be for this game?

Conor McManus----> Justin McMahon
Tommy Freeman-----> Dermot Carlin
Paul Finlay-----> Conor Gormley

Sean Canvanagh----> Vincent Corey
Brian Dooher--------> Damian Freeman
Owen Mulligan-------> JP Mone

Main Street

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on July 02, 2010, 01:09:13 PM

And no doubt the other Tyronies who have been struggling with basic comprehension would find it all a hoot.

Fish in a barrel.

Still, for someone who passionately believes that some Indian bloke can survive for decades on nothing more than ambient air, there's no reason why Monaghan can't win an Ulster on nothing more than hot air, especially as expelled from your rear end.

Another Tyronie with a flexible grasp of comprehension. I never stated any beliefs remotely, re the old codger's claims, either way.

Feck it,  sure why should I  give a f*ck what goes through a Tyronies brain, but what ever goes through there, has plenty of space to give one hell of a  good rattle. ;D

Main Street

Tyrone still at 4/5 lads. Have none of ye taken up the banker bet of this century?
Go on, sure it's such a safe bet.

Schkite

Quote from: GrandMasterFlash on July 02, 2010, 01:17:42 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on July 02, 2010, 12:49:49 PM

Shane Duffy
Dermot McArdle
JP Mone
Gary McQuaid
Damien Freeman
Dick Clerkin
Rory Woods
Tommy Freeman

Vinney Corey or Dessie Mone?? Neither are over 28 AFAIK. Damien Freeman and Dermot McArdle are indeed the other end, 33ish I think..

Dessie is 26. Vinny is 27, as is Finlay. Duffy and Dick around 28, Tommy and Woods 29, McQuaid 30, JP 31 and McArdle and Damien are about 33 alright.

Despite being the elder statesmen of the team, Damien and McArdle look in great shape, they're fellas that would really look after themselves and look like they could go for a while yet, Damien especially, that break during the league did him the world of good, as it did for McQuaid. I would expect JP to hang up the boots after this year, he's still playing great stuff imo but is married with a couple of young kids and think he might quit, it's alot of commitment for someone with a young family and he's been there a long time. It would be great for him and the other older fellas to have some silverware to show after all the years they've been with the county, but it has to be earned on the day.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: Main Street on July 02, 2010, 07:12:40 PM
Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on July 02, 2010, 01:09:13 PM

Fish in a barrel.

Another Tyronie with a flexible grasp of comprehension. I never stated any beliefs remotely, re the old codger's claims, either way.

Oh yeah? --> http://gaaboard.com/board/index.php?topic=16105.30

Which is it, Alzheimers or senility?  ;)

Though if Monaghan produce as many tricks as that old fraud on the 18th we're fecked.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Gaffer

Anyone familar wth the seating plan in the Pat McGrane stand? As you pass through the turntiles what letter is the first section you come to ?

I remember from last years final the my seat was in section AA which was on the far side of the McGrane stand and possibly the worst view I have ever had at a GAA match.
"Well ! Well ! Well !  If it ain't the Smoker !!!"

clarshack

Quote from: Gaffer on July 03, 2010, 02:21:40 PM
Anyone familar wth the seating plan in the Pat McGrane stand? As you pass through the turntiles what letter is the first section you come to ?

I remember from last years final the my seat was in section AA which was on the far side of the McGrane stand and possibly the worst view I have ever had at a GAA match.

L

the sections from left to right (if you are facing Gerry Arthurs stand) are:

L K J H G F E D C B A

Gaffer

Quote from: clarshack on July 04, 2010, 12:00:11 AM
Quote from: Gaffer on July 03, 2010, 02:21:40 PM

L

the sections from left to right (if you are facing Gerry Arthurs stand) are:

L K J H G F E D C B A

Great stuff Clarshack. Appreciated

"Well ! Well ! Well !  If it ain't the Smoker !!!"

thejuice

BBC.co.uk have been showing the classic match highlights for the games, very good to watch. The 88 final was on there, Nudie Hughes running the show.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/northern_ireland/gaelic_games/8776025.stm

looking forward to it, the local barman is a monaghan man and has been going on and on about the game,
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016