USFC Final 2010, Clones, Sunday 18th July: Tír Eoghain vs Muineachán

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, June 20, 2010, 05:15:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lamh Dhearg Alba

Quote from: Jinxy on July 18, 2010, 06:01:52 PM
I get the same vibe from Tyrone this year that I did last year and in 2007.
Stroll through Ulster and get caught in the quarter/semi final.

Wouldnt agree with the 2007 comparison. That was a Tyrone team in transition after all the injuries of 2006 and still looking to find their way without Brian McGuigan and Peter Canavan. They played well in Ulster but on reaching Croke Park Dooher and Gormley, who had been massive players in the previous games, played with injuries and SON was reduced to coming on a late sub. Had that been the case all summer Tyrone wouldnt have won Ulster in the first place so I wouldnt say it was a case of Tyrone being shown too much respect in Ulster then losing on the big stage.

2009 perhaps you have a point, Tyrone won that Ulster title without being tested and it did them few favours. We'll see the next few weeks exactly what level they are playing at.

Doogie Browser

Had a £5 spot left in my Ladbrokes account and stuck £2.50 each on Hub and Cavanagh Jr for first goal at 28/1 8)

supersarsfields

Well this was my first time watching the Ulster Final with Tyrone in it from abroad. Not something I would like to do again as there was zero atmosphere in the pub we were in.

But other than that I could have few complaints.
My fear for Tyrone at the start of this campaign was definitely the defence. I'll put my hand up and say I felt Gormley had lost a few yards of pace and I thought he might struggle on the faster forwards. But he put in a great shift along with McCarron yesterday. Also with the two McMahon brothers we've really got little worries in that area now. And that's even before you look at the standard of subs you could bring on if one was having an of day.
I've seen mixed reviews about Jordan on here, but I have to say I thought he was very good. A complete flyer, we give the likes of Dooher alot of credit for the tracking back and the coverage of the pitch he does but Jordan was up and down that pitch for the whole game. He must be a nightmare for a forward to have to "mark".
Likewise Davey covered some amount of ground and popped up with two good points. Yet I'm sure he'll still be looking over his shoulder considering the quality of defenders that didn't start yesterday and I think in a closer match he might get caught out with his lack of speed.

Midfield did well and I can't see any changes to it unless there's an injury. Hub has looked very good this year and it's not often you'll see him land two points, so confidence must be high. CC definitely proving alot of people wrong and showing that Mickey Harte was right to stick by him.

Was disappointed with the forwards to a certain extent. I couldn't fault them for effort as they kept showing the whole match despite racking up a cricket score of wides. But I just have the feeling that if the defence had been under more pressure then we would have really struggled with scores. How many of the scores were either taken by the midfield or defenders or directly set up by an overlap move. We didn't really see any of the forwards win the ball and pop it over the bar. I suppose SON should help in that regard.
Also have to mention Mugsy's passing. His passing of maybe 30 - 40 yards is fantastic. How many times did he come deep and take the ball and then drop a pin point pass in.

But I'm sure Monaghan will be bitterly disappointed with their performance. I was expecting a close game but they just didn't seem to have the belief to keep plugging at Tyrone after the first 20 mins or so.

A Quinn Martin Production

Antrim - One Of A Dying Breed of Genuine Dual Counties

Tommo2

Quote from: tyroneboi on July 19, 2010, 12:02:48 AM
Thought that was Jordan had his best game of the championship so far. Those few times he lost it were more or less when the game was over in the last 7/8 mins.

Was a bit dissapointed with his actions on the pitch during the lat 10 mins. He goaded 2 seperate Monaghan players, almost inciting them to headbutt him. I thought he learned from his actions in 2003 against Armagh. A class player such as Jordan doesnt need to be at that carry-on.

thebandit

Quote from: Tommo2 on July 19, 2010, 10:24:59 AM
Quote from: tyroneboi on July 19, 2010, 12:02:48 AM
Thought that was Jordan had his best game of the championship so far. Those few times he lost it were more or less when the game was over in the last 7/8 mins.

Was a bit dissapointed with his actions on the pitch during the lat 10 mins. He goaded 2 seperate Monaghan players, almost inciting them to headbutt him. I thought he learned from his actions in 2003 against Armagh. A class player such as Jordan doesnt need to be at that carry-on.

He's an absolute disgrace, they had the game won. A hateful yoke.

clarshack

very disappointed with the monaghan challenge. tyrone needed a good tough game with the 1/4 Finals in mind. a good training session would probably be better preparation than what we encountered yesterday.

donelli

Cant underestimate how disapopinting that is from a Monaghan perspective.
We were rocked. A lot of our lads underperformed, Tyrone not choking us completly. We were second best thoughout. Tyrone doubled the lead in the last 5 mins but it was probably fair. though we arent that bad.
Reckon we had our biggest support at a match yesterday. The whole county got out. Must have outnumbered tyrone 2-3 to 1. Pity they outnumbered our scores 2-3 to 1  :'(
Going to be very hard for this team to pick themselves up for the Kildare match in 5 days... Ridiculus period of time for a beaten finalist to play a qualifier, but we knoew that was going to be the case yesterday morning so cant complain.

loughshore lad

On a slightly different note I thought the ref was good yesterday.  Quite often they get the headlines for the wrong reasons but I thought Coldrick did a good job yesterday.

lynchbhoy

Quote from: loughshore lad on July 19, 2010, 12:21:29 PM
On a slightly different note I thought the ref was goo yesterday.  Quite often they get the headlines for the wrong reasons but I thought Coldrick did a good job yesterday.
wasthinking the same during the game myself.
I have been critical of coldrick in the past, but yesterday he had a superb game. Off the ball tackles, third man tackles etc - he spotted. He allowed the game to flow, he gave damien freeman a yellow and then two black book ticks- as he didnt want to disrupt the game etc.
Very sensible refereeing - almost mcananey-esque in its application yesterday.
Well done coldrick.

Rois

Please tell me someone else saw Pat McEnaney standing in a garden beside a cow selling tickets for a raffle?  Is it only in Monaghan that a cow is offered as a raffle prize? 

nrico2006

What about the shot of the old fella laying up on the hill behind Clones watching the game, cracker of a spot by the cameraman.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

donelli

Quote from: Rois on July 19, 2010, 12:40:17 PM
Please tell me someone else saw Pat McEnaney standing in a garden beside a cow selling tickets for a raffle?  Is it only in Monaghan that a cow is offered as a raffle prize?

it wasnt a cow...it was a heifer  :P

Cde

Mr. Nakata

Jordan got star man in the Irish News. Fair enough, I thought he was brilliant, yes a few fumbling errors near the end but top drawer performance. Any one of 6 or 7 players were superb yesterday. Packy, McCarron, Justy, Joe, Block, Cavanagh junior and hub were all contenders for me. Our midfield was getting roasted in the opening 20 minutes but the 2 lads battled hard throughout which is really encouraging for the remainder of the summer.