Well done Enda.

Started by mayogodhelpus@gmail.com, June 17, 2010, 04:56:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bogball XV

Quote from: Capt Pat on June 17, 2010, 06:04:05 PM
The whole front bench resigned, now Coveney and Veradkar and Bruton and Olivia Mitchell etc have no future in politics unless they get rid of Enda. So I think you can still expect a leadership challenge from one or more of those former front benchers.
I've no love for FG, nor hatred of Kenny, but someone mentioned a stay of execution and that sums it up best.  I don't even think it'll be a particularly long one, will he even see out the summer?

muppet

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on June 17, 2010, 06:08:40 PM
If it looks like a lame-duck, walks like a lame-duck, and talks like a lame-duck, then it probably is a lame-duck  :P

She is still Minister though.
MWWSI 2017

no mo do yakamo

It wasn't even kennedy in the car.

muppet

I am usually a floating voter, but Fianna Fail have nearly drowned me.

Anyone who thinks Vuvuzela Gilmore is an option needs to stay out of the Head Shops. It is easy to stand up and throw stones without burdening oneself with policy suggestions.

Kenny might not be an Obama or a Blair but he has integrity and was incredibly magnanimous today despite the assault on his character by some of his own people. He probably surprised even loyal supporters with his skillful outmaneuvering of Bruton. Whether he is Taoiseach material or not, he certainly proved he is a better leader than Bruton.
MWWSI 2017

Fear ón Srath Bán

The loudest cheer today was within the ranks of the Labour Party.

The simple unpalatable truth, for the Fine Gaelers, is that Kenny is decidedly and definitely not Taoiseach material, not in a thousand years. And it matters not a whit how much of a party leader he looks of late, or how persuasive he is with his Oireacthas colleagues, he has little appeal for your average Joe or Josephine as state leader. Little wonder too, that the most laudatory posts on this board are from his very own county folk, something that the Dubs, for example, are only too aware of, i.e., he may be Fine Gael leader, but he's an out and out culchie.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

GalwayBayBoy

The old Mayo lads have circled the wagons around Enda. Must be taking tips from the Kerry boys and Paul Galvin. ;D

Enda carries on for now but hard to see a long-term future for a man who barely has the backing of 50% of his own party let alone an electorate who clearly are not too keen on seeing him as Taoiseach despite all the ills of FF.

Bogball XV

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on June 17, 2010, 08:38:42 PM
The loudest cheer today was within the ranks of the Labour Party.

The simple unpalatable truth, for the Fine Gaelers, is that Kenny is decidedly and definitely not Taoiseach material, not in a thousand years. And it matters not a whit how much of a party leader he looks of late, or how persuasive he is with his Oireacthas colleagues, he has little appeal for your average Joe or Josephine as state leader. Little wonder too, that the most laudatory posts on this board are from his very own county folk, something that the Dubs, for example, are only too aware of, i.e., he may be Fine Gael leader, but he's an out and out culchie.
He may have the support of the oireachtas colleagues and MEP's, but apparently he doesn't have the support of his td colleagues.  For those FGers celebrating, maybe the next opinion poll will waken them up to the damage they've done their cause.  Good luck to him, but i fear the victory is pyrrhic.

muppet

At the next election I expect people to vote for:

1) the usual small minded local issue
2) anti-FF backlash
3) those who get thus far might consider their vote as significant
regarding the make up of the parties of next Government
4) the few who get this far might consider who will be Taoiseach.

If Kenny makes it to Taoiseach it will be with a mandate. Unlike the current incumbent
who has no mandate and is even less popular.
MWWSI 2017

Pangurban

A lot of Northerners will be happy to see Bruton get his come-uppenance. As for Kennys long term future, its off little relevance to anyone outside of the Blueshirts, as they will never get a sniff of government. The country is angry, not stupid

muppet

Quote from: Pangurban on June 17, 2010, 09:12:01 PM
A lot of Northerners will be happy to see Bruton get his come-uppenance. As for Kennys long term future, its off little relevance to anyone outside of the Blueshirts, as they will never get a sniff of government. The country is angry, not stupid

We are way past stupid and we are certainly not angry
or we would be on the streets.
MWWSI 2017

Bogball XV

Quote from: Pangurban on June 17, 2010, 09:12:01 PM
if the blueshirts don't get into govt, who do you suggest??  and more pressingly, why??

An Gaeilgoir

Quote from: muppet on June 17, 2010, 08:16:53 PM
I am usually a floating voter, but Fianna Fail have nearly drowned me.

Anyone who thinks Vuvuzela Gilmore is an option needs to stay out of the Head Shops. It is easy to stand up and throw stones without burdening oneself with policy suggestions.

Kenny might not be an Obama or a Blair but he has integrity and was incredibly magnanimous today despite the assault on his character by some of his own people. He probably surprised even loyal supporters with his skillful outmaneuvering of Bruton. Whether he is Taoiseach material or not, he certainly proved he is a better leader than Bruton.

Spot on the money Muppet, stuck 2 fingers up to his opponents, stuck to his guns,took them on, beat them and made them look they were badly led, ill judged and incompetent in the space of 7 days. When is the last time this happened in this country. This will be the making of Kenny. Well done Enda. (i'm not FG in anyway)

Capt Pat

I disagree with Fine Gael will never be in power. I think that at this moment in time, they are on course for power, the Bruton challenge was a big push for power by the east coast fine gael clique and it might not be over yet.
If an election was called tomorrow for 3 months time, Fianna Fail, Fianna Gael and labour would be 1,2 and 3, respectively with a Fine Gael labour coalition maybe with the greens as well being the new government.

John Bruton and his buddies can see this but so far their plan has backfired.

Bogball XV

Quote from: Capt Pat on June 17, 2010, 09:33:20 PM
I disagree with Fine Gael will never be in power. I think that at this moment in time, they are on course for power, the Bruton challenge was a big push for power by the east coast fine gael clique and it might not be over yet.
If an election was called tomorrow for 3 months time, Fianna Fail, Fianna Gael and labour would be 1,2 and 3, respectively with a Fine Gael labour coalition maybe with the greens as well being the new government.

John Bruton and his buddies can see this but so far their plan has backfired.
i agree, why does everyone else think this is over?

Capt Pat

The bad thing about all of this for Fine Gael is the loss of their talking heads Bruton,Veradkar, Coveney and Mitchell from the front bench. This may damage the parties image and presentation.