Galvin - Love him or hate him?

Started by put-it-up, June 15, 2010, 08:18:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

guevara

This is being blown totally out or proportion if you ask me!

Galvin is a superb player theres no doubt about that. He brings a doggedness to Kerry that players like Gooch, Donaghy & Darren O'Sullivan lack. He plays on the line, but so do many players in this game. Galvins problem is he has been involved in skirmishes before but being a Kerry player & being high profile he has ultimately been GAA's biggest casualty to pundits, media & supporters creating a demon like image of the fella when in reality he is probably no worse than Ryan McMenamin, Dessie Mone, Ciaran McKeever or Noel O'Leary.
The difference with Galvin & the mentioned players is Galvin is an exceptional footballer who will damage teams if he plays well. Guys like McMenamin & O'Leary are their teams dirty hoors who will take the booking to upset the oppositions top players. Just ask Benny Coulter!

It is without question that Galvin is targeted by the Cork players as a fellow you ruffle up & try to upset his game. Cadogans big mistake was he came out on the wrong end of altercations with Galvin twice.
The Sunday Game only summarise incidents involving Galvin to death because he is so high profile & they realise that the papers will be covering it so why not them?
If you took Galvins fight out of his game he would be of no use to Kerry. Just look at the amount in the last 2/3 years he has come on to change a game for Kerry?

Its wrong of the Gaa to hand out suspensions of this length to one guy when if a fella from Carlow or London done the same we all know that the punishment wouldnt match, if there was any at all!!
"Some people want it to happen, some wish it would happen, others make it happen"

Michael Jordan

Mid Down Gael

Quote from: guevara on June 17, 2010, 11:15:27 PM

Galvin is a superb player theres no doubt about that. He brings a doggedness to Kerry that players like Gooch, Donaghy & Darren O'Sullivan lack. He plays on the line, but so do many players in this game. Galvins problem is he has been involved in skirmishes before but being a Kerry player & being high profile he has ultimately been GAA's biggest casualty to pundits, media & supporters creating a demon like image of the fella when in reality he is probably no worse than Ryan McMenamin, Dessie Mone, Ciaran McKeever or Noel O'Leary.
The difference with Galvin & the mentioned players is Galvin is an exceptional footballer who will damage teams if he plays well. Guys like McMenamin & O'Leary are their teams dirty hoors who will take the booking to upset the oppositions top players. Just ask Benny Coulter!

It is without question that Galvin is targeted by the Cork players as a fellow you ruffle up & try to upset his game. Cadogans big mistake was he came out on the wrong end of altercations with Galvin twice.
The Sunday Game only summarise incidents involving Galvin to death because he is so high profile & they realise that the papers will be covering it so why not them?
If you took Galvins fight out of his game he would be of no use to Kerry. Just look at the amount in the last 2/3 years he has come on to change a game for Kerry?

Its wrong of the Gaa to hand out suspensions of this length to one guy when if a fella from Carlow or London done the same we all know that the punishment wouldnt match, if there was any at all!!

Very well said. I couldnt agree with you more. The Sunday game panelists Tohill and ORourke are a joke.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: Mid Down Gael on June 17, 2010, 11:23:46 PM
Quote from: guevara on June 17, 2010, 11:15:27 PM

Very well said. I couldnt agree with you more. The Sunday game panelists Tohill and ORourke are a joke.

What a load of shite, from the both of you.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

supersarsfields

I don't think we can just blame the pundits on this one. They're just trying to make it entertaining. The problem is when the cccc just trot in behind whatever TSG deem a big incident and ignore others. What should be done is each game should be reviewed right after completion and the cccc pick out what they deem citable offences and not waiting on the media's view.

Main Street

Quote from: INDIANA on June 17, 2010, 09:48:28 PM
Quote from: Main Street on June 17, 2010, 08:02:58 PM
Quote from: Lar Naparka on June 17, 2010, 11:04:02 AM
Problem is MS that he wasn't farting on the pitch; he inserted his finger into another player's mouth with the purpose of causing him physical injury and mental upset in contravention of GAA rules and the law of the land.
In plain English, he assaulted this man with the intention of injuring him.

Assault is a very strong word to use and intent to injure is unproven.
Imo, if Galvin carried out an assault with an intention to injure, Cadogan would have been physically hurt and mentally provoked beyond reason.

QuoteBut the finger in the mouth incident should be judged on its own merits, IMO.

Yes indeed, if it wasn't Galvin it would not have registered and compared to all the (visible to TV camera) fisted punches to the face, it hardly registers even if it was Galvin.

QuoteHe broke the rules and was caught in the act of doing so I don't think and side issues or hidden agendas, brought up by those who support him or those who don't, should enter the picture.

Retro discipline should be applied without prejudice and fairly. The CCCC are being influenced by what the RTE panel focus on.
The CCCC are allowing themselves to be led by nose by a TV program interested in ratings, who are deciding what is best for their program. Do you have a problem with instructing the ref to look at all the incidents in the game -  from all the tv angles, all the serious incidents the Sunday Game panel were not interested to highlight?

No we just have a problem with ensuring bad bahaviour is outlawed. You on the otherhand want to bring in the PC nanny state brigade who go on about equal rights and all that crap. Galvin was out of line and got cited- TOUGH is my response. If he behaved himself there wouldn't be a problem.

I suppose its that type of ambivalence towards bad behaviour on the pitch that has a young man from armagh sucking through a straw for 4-5 months
Are you just naturally thick or do you have to work hard at it. How on earth did you miss the bit where I wrote that the CCCC should review all the incidents in the match and not just be led by the nose by the selectivity of the Sunday Game panel from a tv program which has an agenda to improve /maintain ratings.

INDIANA

Quote from: Main Street on June 18, 2010, 12:02:03 AM
Quote from: INDIANA on June 17, 2010, 09:48:28 PM
Problem is MS that he wasn't farting on the pitch; he inserted his finger into another player's mouth with the purpose of causing him physical injury and mental upset in contravention of GAA rules and the law of the land.

Imo, if Galvin carried out an assault with an intention to injure, Cadogan would have been physically hurt and mentally provoked beyond reason.

QuoteBut the finger in the mouth incident should be judged on its own merits, IMO.

Yes indeed, if it wasn't Galvin it would not have registered and compared to all the (visible to TV camera) fisted punches to the face, it hardly registers even if it was Galvin.

QuoteHe broke the rules and was caught in the act of doing so I don't think and side issues or hidden agendas, brought up by those who support him or those who don't, should enter the picture.

Retro discipline should be applied without prejudice and fairly. The CCCC are being influenced by what the RTE panel focus on.
The CCCC are allowing themselves to be led by nose by a TV program interested in ratings, who are deciding what is best for their program. Do you have a problem with instructing the ref to look at all the incidents in the game -  from all the tv angles, all the serious incidents the Sunday Game panel were not interested to highlight?

No we just have a problem with ensuring bad bahaviour is outlawed. You on the otherhand want to bring in the PC nanny state brigade who go on about equal rights and all that crap. Galvin was out of line and got cited- TOUGH is my response. If he behaved himself there wouldn't be a problem.

I suppose its that type of ambivalence towards bad behaviour on the pitch that has a young man from armagh sucking through a straw for 4-5 months
Are you just naturally thick or do you have to work hard at it. How on earth did you miss the bit where I wrote that the CCCC should review all the incidents in the match and not just be led by the nose by the selectivity of the Sunday Game panel from a tv program which has an agenda to improve /maintain ratings.

No I'm actually just questioning what part of mouth gouging you don't understand.
Galvin stepped out of line- got penalised- tough. Every single year he undermines his ability with these incidents. And don't tell me the likes of Canavan got worse on a GAA pitch. Only a Kerryman will ever tell you that. No excuse for that.

screenexile

Dear lord you Kerry Boys have some cheek! Unhappy with the fact you haven't beaten Tyrone in the last 10 years you have adopted their style of football, adopted their thuggish behaviour, and NOW you're adopting the crying mentality that sees "us against the world".

Don't do the crime if you can't do the time. Simple as. Every half decent county that has been on tv has had incidents highlighted on TSG and their players disciplined as a result, Monaghan, Derry, Tyrone, Meath to name a few. Are Kerry and Paul Galvin a special case? Are they balls.

Fair play to him for taking it on the chin and not appealing the decision but the bottom line is he stepped out of line! As for the rest of ye crying about trial by tv? Wise up!

As for slagging off Tohill and O'Rourke well I'm sure they are annoyed about that! They are paid to give their opinion on what TSG editorial team show them. Did either of them say anything wrong or uncalled for? No! Someone slagged off Tohill for saying Galvins antics were "unacceptable" what so it is acceptable now to reach into someones mouth and give it a good tug?

Seriously I expected more from our supposed moral guardians of proper football!!!!!!

Lar Naparka

Assault is indeed a very strong word and I used it advisedly.
Having watched the incident on live TV and having examined reruns on DVD, I have no problem at all in using it. More importantly, the CCCC appear to think the same way. Why else would it have suggested a four weeks ban? The fact that the ban was increased to eight weeks on a technicality is another matter entirely. He fish hooked Cadogan- pure and simple and, by doing so, the CCCC adjudged him to be guilty of an offence and suggested the four week ban, which was subsequently applied.
For me, that is the kernel of the matter.
In my equally humble opinion, Cadogan merited a red card also for his part in the scuffle that led up to the "fish hook," but the fact that he didn't get one doesn't lessen the gravity of Galvin's transgression one little bit.
If the intent to injure is really unproven, why did the CCCC impose the ban and why did Galvin not subsequently appeal it?
Jerome Conway, the Kerry chairman said:
"I couldn't condone what Paul Galvin did and he regrets himself what he has done. It is Paul's choice as to whether or not he wants a hearing and he has decided he will not be seeking a hearing."
( http://www.google.com/hostednews/ukpress/article/ALeqM5i_j8M3XgS3U-P4wXe4rbzuGHtz8A )
Now, if Conway won't condone his action and the player himself regrets what he did, it would be difficult to make a case that an assault did not take place, wouldn't it?
Jaysus, if he didn't mean to assault Cadogan, he would hardly have stuck his finger in his gob deliberately in the first place!
I don't think that it's reasonable to say Galvin would need to have caused considerable physical and mental injury  to Cadogan for his action to be considered an assault. It seems the CCCC aggress with this and it's opinion counts for far more than mine.
Besides, Cadogan is reported as having lost a tooth as a result of the affray and, as for being mentally provoked beyond reason, you might care to click on this link and be the judge of this yourself!
http://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/championship/2010/0617/galvinp.html
I have no problem agreeing with this, even though that's just our joint opinion and not a definite fact. But Galvin was caught in the act and doesn't contest this fact.

I have no problem of any sort with the ref being instructed to look at all incidents in all games where it is practical to do so. I think the TSG coverage of the incident was unfairly biased against him but to go on to say that the CCCC is allowing itself to be influenced by any third party is a step too far for me.
Maybe it could well be the case but I'd need proof before I'd state it as a fact.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on June 17, 2010, 11:58:14 AM
In an ideal world that would be the way to go but the cost of 32 * 3 cameras plus the costs of 3 cameramen at every championship, league, Nicky Rackard, O'Byrne Cup, etc is way too prohibitive and a non runner in my book. If we have a fair transparent procedure for reviewing the broadcast footage implemented now we can more or less nip this in the bud IMO. Yes you'll have the Mickey Harte's of the world whinge from their soapbox once or twice a year when their players are caught acting the maggot but that's the price you'll have to pay for being successful and on the box more than the others. Jaysus, I'd love Westmeath to be in that situation...
If we want to do it right, then the GAA have enough annual income to cover cameras, cameramen etc - certainly would be a fraction of the cost of paying players !!
Anyhow - with the new technology available, championship venues should ALL have CCTV type digital cameras on each corner of the ground, at a height where their view from vertex to vertex is not obscured. Maybe a camera behind each goal also. This way all game time is recorded and a diff camera angle can be zoomed in on to show closer footage of any particular incident.
This initial investment in hardware should not cost that nuch per ground and all the GAA needs then is a 'citing' procedure for counties to adhere to , then a designated person is employed to pick out the footage from each camera per game and the ccccccc deal with the findings.
easy (and not that costly!)

eastern_gael

While Galvin is undoubtedly a great player why does he continually let both himself and his team down. Its not a question of whether to blame the cccc or RTE pundits how about blaming mr paul galvin who has been here many times before and should have grown up at this stage. Its obvious the chap is not the brightest because every year we seem to be talking about the same thing. In saying that though i cannot see why there is nothing being made of this incident http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fde7QKKkFyw&feature=email It was just as bad if not worse than Galvins yet got no coverage on the sunday game.

supersarsfields

Quote from: lynchbhoy on June 18, 2010, 08:13:18 AM
In an ideal world that would be the way to go but the cost of 32 * 3 cameras plus the costs of 3 cameramen at every championship, league, Nicky Rackard, O'Byrne Cup, etc is way too prohibitive and a non runner in my book. If we have a fair transparent procedure for reviewing the broadcast footage implemented now we can more or less nip this in the bud IMO. Yes you'll have the Mickey Harte's of the world whinge from their soapbox once or twice a year when their players are caught acting the maggot but that's the price you'll have to pay for being successful and on the box more than the others. Jaysus, I'd love Westmeath to be in that situation...
If we want to do it right, then the GAA have enough annual income to cover cameras, cameramen etc - certainly would be a fraction of the cost of paying players !!
Anyhow - with the new technology available, championship venues should ALL have CCTV type digital cameras on each corner of the ground, at a height where their view from vertex to vertex is not obscured. Maybe a camera behind each goal also. This way all game time is recorded and a diff camera angle can be zoomed in on to show closer footage of any particular incident.
This initial investment in hardware should not cost that nuch per ground and all the GAA needs then is a 'citing' procedure for counties to adhere to , then a designated person is employed to pick out the footage from each camera per game and the ccccccc deal with the findings.

I'd agree totall with that LB. I don't believe it would be that hard to ensure all games are recorded. as i said alot will have cameras at them for Hightlights etc anyway. And all it would take would be for the CCCC to ensure each game is reviewed fairly and each citing is explained.

nrico2006

Now that Galvin has received an 8 week ban, can someone confirm if any action is to be taken againt Derek Kavanagh?  Bit of a shambles if he was let off.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Carmen Stateside

Quote from: eastern_gael on June 18, 2010, 11:01:53 AM
While Galvin is undoubtedly a great player why does he continually let both himself and his team down. Its not a question of whether to blame the cccc or RTE pundits how about blaming mr paul galvin who has been here many times before and should have grown up at this stage. Its obvious the chap is not the brightest because every year we seem to be talking about the same thing. In saying that though i cannot see why there is nothing being made of this incident http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fde7QKKkFyw&feature=email It was just as bad if not worse than Galvins yet got no coverage on the sunday game.

FFS are you for real?

magpie seanie

Quote from: nrico2006 on June 18, 2010, 01:06:08 PM
Now that Galvin has received an 8 week ban, can someone confirm if any action is to be taken againt Derek Kavanagh?  Bit of a shambles if he was let off.

Exactly my point. He will be let off and it is a shambles.

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: supersarsfields on June 17, 2010, 04:30:07 PM
Yeah but the point is that if a ref misses something in a club game that's it. You don't get 50% of the games scrutinised again which is what is happening in the county games.
If discipline is a major problemfor the GAA then I believe it can afford to take action and make sure that all games are scrutinised to the same extent. And to me that means all games videoed and reviewed or refs decision stands.
For example two teams in a semi final. One game televised one not. The televised one has incidents that are reviewed and two players get suspended and miss the final. The other one the same incidents happen and missed but aren't reviewed. No players suspended and go into the final with all players available. Do you think that is fair? I don't and that's the point.

At least we agree on the final point!!  ;)

All semi finals are now broadcast in the championship so that renders that argument redundant.
Quote from: lynchbhoy on June 18, 2010, 08:13:18 AM

I remain to be convinced that installing such systems at 32+ venues as well as employing more administrators to view all the footage will not be prohibitively expensive. First and foremost though the farcical situation of replying on TSG to highlight incidents has to be resolved. Derek Kavanagh, as has already been stated upon here, should also be facing a proposed suspension. But because it wasn't highlighted on TSG...
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...