Longford v Mayo 26th June

Started by Redgreenery, June 13, 2010, 09:31:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadMayo

Quote from: LaurelEye on June 27, 2010, 01:39:46 PM
Quote from: MadMayo on June 27, 2010, 01:34:31 PM
LaurelEye, now your just talking crap. You can look at this whatever way you like,
IT IS AN EMBARESMENT TO BE BEATEN BY LONGFORD IN CHAMPIONSHIP FOOTBALL.
End of story.

God knows Mayo should be used to EMBARRASSMENT by now.

Best of luck in the Junior Cert, by the way.

Thanks old man.......  :-*

muppet

Congrats to Longford. This is exactly the reason why the qualifiers have been a success. Counties that struggle against tradition (imagine if Mayo had to beat Meath, Dublin, Kildare, Laois, Offaly etc just to win a provincial title) seem to thrive against teams that pick up titles sometimes purely because of tradition (will Galway bate Mayo?).

Whether Mayo supporters like it or not, it is a great result for the Gaa and if I was a neutral I would be absolutely thrilled for Longford and I hope that they get a home draw and do it again. Sligo, Wexford and others have had great runs through the qualifiers and elevated themselves to the levels of contenders and I sincerely hope Longford kick on from this and do the same.

Flashback: 1996 All Ireland semi-final. Mayo had just beaten Kerry for the 1st time in donkeys year, the thing that struck me most though was how well Kerry and their supporters handled an unexpected defeat. They didn't cry about how they possibly could lose to 'Mayo!'. They congratulated us and promised to be back the following year.
MWWSI 2017

Dinny Breen

Good post Muppet and reflective of most Mayo posters and not the few who are letting themselves down I'd imagine.
#newbridgeornowhere

RedandGreenSniper

Mayo were embarrassing yesterday. We were embarrassing against Sligo. That is not to take away from either team. Sligo should have beaten us by more. So should Longford. There was a decent gap between Mayo and both those teams. Enjoy your victory lads, if it was over any other county I would be revelling in the romance of it. But it wasn't against any other county. It was against our own, four years into what was flagged as a whole new era for Mayo football. We've been made fools of. I don't think anyone posting here is trying to be dismissive of Longford. Or being arrogant. Just very angry with the whole sorry mess that is our football scene at the minute. Best of luck in the next round Larries.
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

muppet

How about Longford v the Dubs in Pearse Park next saturday?

MWWSI 2017

Shrewdness

Quote from: Cosmo Kramer on June 27, 2010, 10:52:44 AM
Higgins went for verbals 5 minutes before the end. The verbals were justified to be honest. I wouldn't be one for blaming refs and there are certainly others far more to blame for this, but O Connamha really was a joke. It says it all when someone as sensible on a pitch as Higgins feels the need to f**k him out of it.

I was going to edit my earlier (drunken) comment to something less controversial like 'limited' or 'hungrier' or 'brave' or some other patronising shite, but i won't for two reasons. Firstly, to suggest that Longford were anything other than poor on the night would be to suggest that Mayo were somehow caught on the hop by a team at their top of their game and were unluckily beaten (which would be a load of crap).

Secondly, I don't understand why the Longford lads feel the need to go looking for faint praise from us. Surely it's better that you get an honest assessment of how your team played from someone at the game. They did not play particularly well and, much as I would like to see them (and genuinely hope they will be) in Croker in August, its as well to be honest and say that big improvement will be needed on last nights performance to achieve that. Maybe you have that improvement in you but if you are happy enough for people to tell you you're great after last night and don't strive to build and improve on your achievement then you're wasting your time.

In other words well done on the win, best of luck the next day, and never mind looking for compliments from other teams supporters, just go out and play your own game.

Cosmo, in fairness, i don't think the Longford lads on here are looking for any praise from Mayo people.

They simply objected to some of the condescending remarks of 'Mad Mayo' and a few other clowns who claimed that Longford are this that and the other.

LaurelEye

Quote from: muppet on June 27, 2010, 05:40:16 PM

We'll take what we get.  :)
Leader Cup winners: 1945, 1947, 1948, 1949, 1950, 1951, 2013, 2016, 2017, 2019, 2021, 2023.

Cosmo Kramer

Quote from: Shrewdness on June 27, 2010, 05:50:40 PM
Higgins went for verbals 5 minutes before the end. The verbals were justified to be honest. I wouldn't be one for blaming refs and there are certainly others far more to blame for this, but O Connamha really was a joke. It says it all when someone as sensible on a pitch as Higgins feels the need to f**k him out of it.

I was going to edit my earlier (drunken) comment to something less controversial like 'limited' or 'hungrier' or 'brave' or some other patronising shite, but i won't for two reasons. Firstly, to suggest that Longford were anything other than poor on the night would be to suggest that Mayo were somehow caught on the hop by a team at their top of their game and were unluckily beaten (which would be a load of crap).

Secondly, I don't understand why the Longford lads feel the need to go looking for faint praise from us. Surely it's better that you get an honest assessment of how your team played from someone at the game. They did not play particularly well and, much as I would like to see them (and genuinely hope they will be) in Croker in August, its as well to be honest and say that big improvement will be needed on last nights performance to achieve that. Maybe you have that improvement in you but if you are happy enough for people to tell you you're great after last night and don't strive to build and improve on your achievement then you're wasting your time.

In other words well done on the win, best of luck the next day, and never mind looking for compliments from other teams supporters, just go out and play your own game.

Cosmo, in fairness, i don't think the Longford lads on here are looking for any praise from Mayo people.

They simply objected to some of the condescending remarks of 'Mad Mayo' and a few other clowns who claimed that Longford are this that and the other.

Fair enough.
A few Mayo GAA videos if anyone is interested - www.youtube.com/CosmoKramer100

ross4life

Quote from: muppet on June 27, 2010, 01:57:37 PM
Congrats to Longford. This is exactly the reason why the qualifiers have been a success. Counties that struggle against tradition (imagine if Mayo had to beat Meath, Dublin, Kildare, Laois, Offaly etc just to win a provincial title) seem to thrive against teams that pick up titles sometimes purely because of tradition (will Galway bate Mayo?).

more than just will Galway bate Mayo? IMO Connacht is better the munster kerry or cork? (last time Clare way back when) & Ulster Armagh or Tyrone? (Derry in 1998) i think most younger mayo fans and watching public don't remember the lack of success mayo endured prior to the last 25 years, they went 12 years (1969 to 1981) without a single connacht victory e.g i wouldn't like to see the Mayo fan's response if that happened again
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

INDIANA

Quote from: LaurelEye on June 27, 2010, 06:14:33 PM

Thought the qualifiers are for the weekend of the 11th?

MadMayo

Hang on a second, all I said is that Longford are shite and it was an embarrassment for Mayo to loose to them. Whats the big deal  ??? Remember they only bet London and Kilkenny this year!! Mayo to be fair aren't too far off the mark!!
You cant make a silk purse out of a sows ear!

ross4life

The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

INDIANA

Quote from: MadMayo on June 27, 2010, 06:53:17 PM

longford have come closer to beating kerry in recent years then either the likes of Mayo and Dublin. Have a bit of respect.

Hang on a second, all I said is that Longford are shite and it was an embarrassment for Mayo to loose to them. Whats the big deal  ??? Remember they only bet London and Kilkenny this year!! Mayo to be fair aren't too far off the mark!!
You cant make a silk purse out of a sows ear!

muppet

Quote from: INDIANA on June 27, 2010, 06:47:56 PM

Ye don't deserve an extra weeks rest.
MWWSI 2017

INDIANA

Quote from: muppet on June 27, 2010, 07:00:27 PM
Quote from: INDIANA on June 27, 2010, 06:47:56 PM

Ye don't deserve an extra weeks rest.

Next week would do me fine muppet. Get the inevitable out of the way a week early.