Longford v Mayo 26th June

Started by Redgreenery, June 13, 2010, 09:31:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Billys Boots

Bring Robbie O'Malley. Martin O'Connell and Darren Fay while you're at it. They'd make especially good Larries.
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

muppet

Quote from: Shamrock Shore on June 15, 2010, 10:00:35 AM
QuoteThe Slashers

Please desist from referring to us Longfordians as Slashers. Longford Slashers are the town club.

We are The Larries.......a name bestowed on us by Hardy and one which we all decided to unite behind.

I'd say that makes us the Kennys.

MWWSI 2017

Billys Boots

Mais non, the Indas.

Or the Pothole Pats.  ;D
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

muppet

Quote from: Billys Boots on June 15, 2010, 04:09:02 PM
Mais non, the Indas.

Or the Pothole Pats.  ;D

Kenny is better, because he dies before the end of every episode.

MWWSI 2017

Farrandeelin

Very good muppet!  :D :-[ We seem to die once a year!
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: Dinny Breen on June 14, 2010, 04:40:16 PM
Glenn certainly doesn't suffer fools and is a very stubborn man, he's a winner though and I'd say the Longford gig is killing him on the inside, pity it hasn't worked out.

Many see he him as the heir apparent alright, I'd like to see his next management gig be his own club first though..

Stock seems to have fallen since his stint with the u21s - partly down to McGrillen and Cribbin's emergence given that neither were given much of a run on that u21 team in '08 (Cribbin wasn't even on the panel IIRC).

I thought he'd have done a better job with Longford tbh. Plenty of forward talent there to be more competitive in Leinster - Kavanagh, Barden, Franny McGee (class act when he was with NUIM).
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

Foreverhopeful

D Clarke (C)
C Barrett               G Cafferkey                   K Higgins
A Moran                D Vaughan                 K Mcloughlin

S O' Shea P Harte/K Conroy

T Howley                 A O'Shea                      A Dillon

A Kilcoyne
                 A Freeman           B Moran   

* T Howley to play Galvin role, mopping up around midfield. If your not convinced watch a Knockmore match. It's the position that best suits his attributes.
* B Moran and Freeman to play in front of goal with aidan Kilcoyne ready to pounce from knock downs etc.!
* Aidan O'shea offer a target for kick-outs in half forward with Seamie pulling one way and other midfielder going the other side. Like Cork do - they try to have 3 big men spread across the middle for kick-outs. He can kick scores from here and won't be marked as tightly. Should help his now fragile confidence to be given this pivitol position where he has played his best football.
* Andy Moran can deliver great ball from half back and would be a leader back there. We need some leadership back there. Question marks regarding his defending but i think he is up to it.
* D Vaughan deserves a shot at his best position. Should not be dropped after being asked to play out of position against one of the best in the business.

Plan A - put ball diagonally into two big lads, They either catch or look for knock down to Killer/ half forwards.
If they play sweeper tell lads to move a bit wider from the goal so the sweeper won't know which side to cover. O'hara just stayed in middle and Mayo didnt change the ball in.

Plan B -  Bring B Moran out around middle and leave freeman and killer as corner forwards switching the whole time, keep the defenders guessing. Dillon could also go into full forward line for a spell. Need to be unpredictable as teams cop onto us too easy.

seafoid

Shamrock shore

I see your Larry picture comes from countrymusicholidays.com
Those tourists must do some amount of dancing. Mad for it.

moysider

Quote from: Foreverhopeful on June 15, 2010, 05:25:03 PM
                              D Clarke (C)

A Kilcoyne

* T Howley to play Galvin role, mopping up around midfield. If your not convinced watch a Knockmore match. It's the position that best suits his attributes.
* B Moran and Freeman to play in front of goal with aidan Kilcoyne ready to pounce from knock downs etc.!
* Aidan O'shea offer a target for kick-outs in half forward with Seamie pulling one way and other midfielder going the other side. Like Cork do - they try to have 3 big men spread across the middle for kick-outs. He can kick scores from here and won't be marked as tightly. Should help his now fragile confidence to be given this pivitol position where he has played his best football.
* Andy Moran can deliver great ball from half back and would be a leader back there. We need some leadership back there. Question marks regarding his defending but i think he is up to it.
* D Vaughan deserves a shot at his best position. Should not be dropped after being asked to play out of position against one of the best in the business.

Plan A - put ball diagonally into two big lads, They either catch or look for knock down to Killer/ half forwards.
If they play sweeper tell lads to move a bit wider from the goal so the sweeper won't know which side to cover. O'hara just stayed in middle and Mayo didnt change the ball in.

Plan B -  Bring B Moran out around middle and leave freeman and killer as corner forwards switching the whole time, keep the defenders guessing. Dillon could also go into full forward line for a spell. Need to be unpredictable as teams cop onto us too easy.

Yeah. Wholesale changes are needed.

Foreverhopeful

Yeah i don't think it's acceptable to make 2-3 changes. That team i picked has 10 changes between positional and personnel.

Trev, Ronan McGarrity and Peadar deserve to be dropped after pathetic performances from our captain, former captain and vice-captain. Not good enough and bench is the best punishment. Tom Parsons has to go aswell.
Seamus O'Shea should get a chance at midfield. Playing him at 11 to compensate Tom Parsons lazy-shite  attitude was unfair.

Barney

Foreverhopeful I like that team a lot.

It could win a few games and could have done very well if playing together all year.

i wouldn't make Clarke captain. We are lucky to have him between the posts but he needs to pick things up with his kick-outs. Some variation needed but of course that depends on hard work from the outfield players showing for the ball.

Neither would I consider Conroy. Harte would be my choice.

And of course the team has a recognised freetaker in Kilcoyne although injury may affect his ability in this regard and of course he hasn't had the game time.

Well done lads in general - good start to this thread. I think we reached 45 for Mayo v Sligo. Lets match that!!

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: muppet on June 15, 2010, 04:32:55 PM
Quote from: Billys Boots on June 15, 2010, 04:09:02 PM
Mais non, the Indas.

Or the Pothole Pats.  ;D

Kenny is better, because he dies before the end of every episode.

Not in the newer episodes  ;)
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

Zulu

Quote from: Foreverhopeful on June 15, 2010, 05:25:03 PM
                              D Clarke (C)

A Kilcoyne

Yeah that's not a bad team at all but I don't think AOS will work at center forward, in saying that there is only one way to find out and he can't be much worse than what has gone before him this year.

Foreverhopeful

I think aidan is gonna be compared with donaghy if played at 14. It hasn't gone well for him in the league in this position so we might as well try him at no.11 against l'ford. I did suggest conroy because I didn't want to pick mcgarrity or parsons. Not sure about Harte after seeing him against knockmore. Would love to see James kilcullen there. Clarke is obviously kicking the balls out the way he is told. He is good at short kickouts aswell. He is rock solid under pressure and the high ball and has never let Mayo down. Plus he is guaranteed his place. Himself and k higgins are the only 2 for the past few seasons.

RedandGreenSniper

Yeah very good team forever hopeful. I think you'd be looking at one of McGarrity and Parsons beside O'Shea. Barry Kelly walked off the panel and Pat Harte tore his groin before the Knockmore game and only played with a painkilling injection. He's fucked. No other options.

Aidan O'Shea is a number 11. His form and confidence isn't great at the minute so we do need to bear that in mind but he's a much better 11 than 14. Always has been. Howley being compared to Galvin is ludicrious but he does bring certain qualities to the role you mention and is worth a shot. Vaughan too at 6.

I'd be worried though that JOM will stick with tried and trusted and that the only players to lose out will be Varley, S O'Shea and Tom Cunniffe, the easy fall guys. He won't make the big calls and axe McGarrity, Parsons, Gardiner and Trevor Mortimer.
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year