Ard Mhacha v Dún na nGall - 26ú Meitheamh

Started by PatDaly, June 13, 2010, 07:36:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mackers

Quote from: AFS on June 14, 2010, 10:11:48 AM
Quote from: GrandMasterFlash on June 14, 2010, 10:06:36 AM
What's the capacity of XMG? Is it 10k did I read last week? I'd imagine that should be just about ample. Lads, I wouldn't be too despondent, whichever team comes through this will be back on track and could go on a bit of a run. Think of it as an USFC game with the winners meeting a beaten semi-finalist i.e. parity restored. Should be a good contest and would like to see it in Cross. It's a shame for Armagh to have to relinquish home advantage twice in the one year..

I'd say the capacity would be fine, but it could be the number of seats or disabled access or some red tape issue like that which prevents the game from going ahead there.
Sh1te draw for the reasons that others have pointed although in fairness it's worse for Donegal as they must be sick of the sight of us. Armagh have a crap record in the back door (except for 03) and this is a serious test.
It would be a huge boost for us to get it to Cross. Our record in Cross is excellent but if the minors weren't allowed to play a home game there against Monaghan it's unlikely the seniors will be allowed to play there. I'd say we'll all be on the road to Clones on Saturday week.
Armagh have a lot of work to do in training to correct the mistakes made in Casement, both in personnel and in tactics.
Keep your pecker hard and your powder dry and the world will turn.

naka

as i said before cross would have more than enough space for this match
didnt know minors were refused permission to play monaghan in cross, was it not that Armagh agreed before the Ulster championship to forfeit their home advantage in Ulster,
I remember watching Down minors  play an Ulster semi-final in Cross a few years back think it went to extra time
if i were armagh would be fighting tooth and nail to keep home advantage considering that it will be a saturday night game which will be on tv

mackers

Quote from: naka on June 14, 2010, 11:08:20 AM
didnt know minors were refused permission to play monaghan in cross, was it not that Armagh agreed before the Ulster championship to forfeit their home advantage in Ulster,
I remember watching Down minors  play an Ulster semi-final in Cross a few years back think it went to extra time
if i were armagh would be fighting tooth and nail to keep home advantage considering that it will be a saturday night game which will be on tv
Why would they do that?  I assumed that they weren't allowed to play there. I asked on another thread what the reason for it was.
Keep your pecker hard and your powder dry and the world will turn.

hobit hunter

Unfortunately I don't see Cross getting the stamp of approval and agree we'll all be off to Clones again.

With regards to the draw, I've mixed feelings about it.  It could have been worse, can you imagine taking the road to Newbridge to face Kildare or west to take on Mayo?  I think most just want to see a bit of variety and seeing us play someone that we rarely get the chance to line out against in championship football.  But Murphy's law being what it is, it's another Ulster draw for us.  Donegal must be the less happier of the two though - to come so close to disposing of Down and then to draw us again and away from home, nightmare for them. 

If we get through this draw am I right in thinking that the winners of these ties get drawn against each other for round 2 before the semi-losers come into the reckoning for round 3?

armaghniac

QuoteIf we get through this draw am I right in thinking that the winners of these ties get drawn against each other for round 2 before the semi-losers come into the reckoning for round 3?

No. Eight teams come through this round and they play 8 semi losers (2 from each province). We could manage Donegal and get Cork.

If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

rory

16 teams in Round 1 become 8
Round 2 sees those 8 play the 8 losing semi finalists
Round 3 sees the round 2 winners play each other to get it down to 4
Round 4 sees those 4 play the 4 provincial losers

mountainboii

Quote from: hobit hunter on June 14, 2010, 11:14:01 AM
Unfortunately I don't see Cross getting the stamp of approval and agree we'll all be off to Clones again.

With regards to the draw, I've mixed feelings about it.  It could have been worse, can you imagine taking the road to Newbridge to face Kildare or west to take on Mayo?

Neither was a possibility. We were guaranteed a home game against either of those two.

Main Street

Quote from: bennydorano on June 13, 2010, 09:09:17 PM

A terrible draw for Armagh, Donegal have all the motivation in the world to beat us.  We needed a soft one to get the show on the road again, this is far from it but if we come through it it will be worth ten times what would be achieved in tanking London or Carlow.

My first reaction was that it is an excellent draw for Armagh. A home draw against a team with some talent, that might have a hope that they can beat you. Win this and you will be in better shape to meet the challenge in the 2nd round.

hobit hunter

Quote from: AFS on June 14, 2010, 11:58:08 AM

With regards to the draw, I've mixed feelings about it.  It could have been worse, can you imagine taking the road to Newbridge to face Kildare or west to take on Mayo?

Neither was a possibility. We were guaranteed a home game against either of those two.

How so AFS?  I thought that it was first out of the hat got the home draw and the old lower ranked team thing was kicked out?

mountainboii

Quote from: hobit hunter on June 14, 2010, 12:06:29 PM
Quote from: AFS on June 14, 2010, 11:58:08 AM

How so AFS?  I thought that it was first out of the hat got the home draw and the old lower ranked team thing was kicked out?

We were away last year, so guaranteed a home tie this time round provided we weren't drawn out second against a team that was also away last year. We could only have been away to Tipperary, Offaly, Carlow, Longford or London.

naka

Quote from: mackers on June 14, 2010, 11:12:04 AM
Quote from: naka on June 14, 2010, 11:08:20 AM
Why would they do that?  I assumed that they weren't allowed to play there. I asked on another thread what the reason for it was.
i thought that each county had to nominate a county ground at the start of the championship and armagh were the only ones who didnt have one therefore they didnt nominate 

jobo11

Well well, i ve decided to give this a try because I'm sick of reading bullsh@~t from bar stool footballers. this is a great draw for armagh , we didn t want a easy draw , you have to beat the best anyway. i think also that this armagh team will stay together as a strong unit for the next couple of years, no one will retire. this year is only a stepping stone to bring the team on and to gel. next year will be the important one , playing the likes of Kerry, cork, monaghan, mayo, this will be a test to see how far armagh has come and if they can challenge for all irelands, which i believe they can.

Oakleafer1993

Actually hoped Derry would get drawn against you lot again - but Donegal should turn Armagh over.

jobo11

Thats cheap coming from a derry supporter. you s will be lucky to get into round 2 .

GrandMasterFlash

Quote from: Oakleafer1993 on June 14, 2010, 02:08:51 PM
Actually hoped Derry would get drawn against you lot again - but Donegal should turn Armagh over.

Derry should be happy enough with Carlow for now...  ;)