Started by galwayman, June 07, 2010, 08:06:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FL/MAYO

joemamas

likewise,

Congrats to Sligo.

It seems justice was done umpire wise.

omagh_gael

What a finish! Fair play to Sligo if you'd go onto win the final it will be some feeling to have beat the big two along the way!

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: omagh_gael on July 03, 2010, 07:34:56 PM
What a finish! Fair play to Sligo if you'd go onto win the final it will be some feeling to have beat the big two along the way!

Big 3 - Roscommon still up there on titles won.

It's 2001 since Roscommon last won, they have to be underdogs.

Congrats Sligo by the way. Its not about winning the All-Ireland, its about stopping Galway doing so (old Mayo bad attitude  :D  )
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

ross4life

Didn't see it happening but well done Sligo & i can't see us getting within 7/8 points of Sligo in the Final  :(

P.S Huge credit to both set of players playing in terrible conditions they produced some of the best football seen this year
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

galwayman

Congrats to Sligo. A bit stunned after that.
Definitely was a game we could have won. Army should have gone for goal near the end - it was a 2 on 1 with Conroy inside him.
Bradshaw's mistake leading to the goal was the crucial turning point in the game.
Today just showed how reliant we are on PJ and Mike Meehan. Without Joyce today we would have lost by more.
There are just too many passengers on that Galway team

Will comment more on the game later when I have calmed down a bit...
Well done to Sligo again. Ye deserved the win

ludermor

Fair play to Sligo, they had some finish to the game and kicked some savage scores. Kelly is lethal given any space and Walsh has them set up brillantly.
Galway had their chances but tried to put everything through Joyce, he cant keep doing it on his own ( unless he has a fit Meehan and on form Armstrong beside him).
Bergin does great things but f**k me he can be braindead sometimes. How many times did he give away soft frees today?

Could TV3 have picked a more awkward place to do their post game analysis? I thought Canavan was going to be raped by one of those gombeens.

ross4life

Bradshaw pass to kelly proved the turning point of the match today but over the two matches nobody can say Sligo didn't deserve to win
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

Jinxy

The Galway lads need to spend less time doing bicep curls and more time playing football.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

sandwiches_in_the_boot

Quote from: Jinxy on July 03, 2010, 07:53:51 PM
The Galway lads need to spend less time doing bicep curls and more time playing football.

Twas one of the most physical games I've seen in a while alright.
"A cynic is a man who, when he smells flowers, looks around for a coffin."
H. L. Mencken

Hardy

Powerful stuff from Sligo. This will do a lot for their confidence and mental fortitude. Having suffered the deflation of throwing away a big lead last time it took guts to keep staying in this game as Galway kept inching in front and then something special to push on and keep the head to take the winning scores.

A good tough enjoyable game of football.

GalwayBayBoy

Have to say I'm absolutely disgusted with Gareth Bradshaw. Ridiculous blunder to make to get Sligo back into a game when Galway were getting firmly on top. I'm more annoyed because he did the exact same thing against Mayo last year when he kicked the ball straight to Conor Mortimer who scored a point. Super young player but you can't give the opposition free gifts like that. He obviously didn't learn his lesson last year.

Galway played better than last week anyway but again the failure to win ball in midfield cost them twice when they built up a 2 point lead towards the end. They let Sligo reply immediately each time. Losing Meehan and Hanley early in the 2nd half didn't help although Reilly did alright after he came on. I thought both Armstrong and Clancy had good goal chances in that game but both took the safe option and shot over. Didn't seem like bad options at the time but maybe they should have chanced their arms a little more. Last Sligo point looked way wide but probably made up for what looked like a good one early on.

Can't imagine we will be in good shape for Wexford next weekend now. Probably no Meehan, Nicky and Hanley by the looks of it.

Congrats to Sligo.

Beard

That was a great game of football. Good hard hitting stuff with some great scores despite the poor conditions. Thought the referee was over fussy and didn't help the game. Sligo were excellent at the finish and displayed bottle I didn't think they had.

I thought Sligo were fairly wastefull for a 10 or 15 min period in the second half where they had plenty of the football but couldn't release Kelly inside and ended up taking pot shots from out the field. They held their nerve though and Walsh did well on the line by bringing on Sweeney who kicked a vital score towards end.

Overall I was very impressed with the strength in depth Sligo have now. Fellas like Davey coming on can make all the difference in a tight finish.  They are a far better side than they were in 07 and I expect them to dispatch Roscommon in the Connacht Final. Obviously Ros will have a chance but realistically we are a couple of years behind Sligo in terms of development. Sligo should be well capable of not only winning Connacht but pushing on in Croke Park also and there is no reason why they shouldn't make an AI semi final.

Turlough O Carolan

Congrats to Sligo; hard luck to Galway. That was a tremendous game of football, fast and some very hard - usually fair - knocks. For most of the game, Galway looked the likely winners especially when they went 3 up after conceding that disastrous goal. But Sligo turned the screw after that and displayed remarkable steel, hunger and nerve to come out on top. Very high scoring game considering the conditions.

seafoid

Well done to Sligo.
It would be some achievement to win connacht by beating the big three.