Galway v Sligo - Connact SFC semi final 27th June

Started by galwayman, June 07, 2010, 08:06:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

muppet

Quote from: Cosmo Kramer on June 27, 2010, 03:37:45 PM
I'm sorry, but Meehan should get 8 weeks off for that dive.

He has brought the lowest form of gamesmanship into the sport and has been doing it repeatedly for the last 6 or 7 years. The man is a decent player but is a disgrace to the sport. He should be hanging his head in shame.

Never mind the dive I'd have given a free out for overcarrying with his two turns.
MWWSI 2017

mylestheslasher

A lot of soft frees there for Galway but I still reckon Sligo will take them in the replay.

joemamas

thanks for the updates tv3 was on and off. Did see p joyce knee o hara in back,

Ref typically bottled it and took the easy option at the end.

Sligo really do not have a lot to fear. I think that at the moment they are better than this Galway team. Costello kicked some brutal wides.

mckieran

QuoteI'm sorry, but Meehan should get 8 weeks off for that dive.

He has brought the lowest form of gamesmanship into the sport and has been doing it repeatedly for the last 6 or 7 years. The man is a decent player but is a disgrace to the sport. He should be hanging his head in shame.

He didnt dive; O'Hara's leg came across and tripped him as highlighted by TV3 afterwards.

I'd be interested to know why Armstrong was booked for his first yellow. And Fitzegerald too; Both had astonished looks on their faces when the ref was giving them the cards.

muppet

Quote from: mckieran on June 27, 2010, 04:22:25 PM
QuoteI'm sorry, but Meehan should get 8 weeks off for that dive.

He didnt dive; O'Hara's leg came across and tripped him as highlighted by TV3 afterwards.

I'd be interested to know why Armstrong was booked for his first yellow. And Fitzegerald too; Both had astonished looks on their faces when the ref was giving them the cards.

What about the two turns?
MWWSI 2017

ross matt

That was a disasterous result for Sligo. They kicked it away in the 2nd half. Their tactics were too defensive especially with an extra man. They invited Galway to come at them.

Cant even put the comeback down to Galway heart. Doubt they know themselves how they did it . They were so poor. Fair play to Joyce. 6 points. 4 from play. One of the frees was from an impossiible angle. He then set Concannon up for the goal. All that with no quality ball going in to him. Best forward of his generation.

Meehan's free was dodgy. O'hara didnt deliberately trip him. But all the frees were soft. Armstrong was unlucky with the 2nd yellow but it was a lazy tackle. Joyce was pulled around the neck by O'Hara earlier (as Tatler pointed out) and the ref let it go.

Sligo worked so hard. Their tackling was class. When they did spray the ball around and take their scores they were very impressive. But Gilmartin took the wrong options when in on goal more than once and they missed so much as a result of poor shot options.

Galway were beaten all over he pitch for long periods. Especially their half back line and half forward line. However they will improve from this match. May have Meehan back also. Sligo mentally will find it very difficult to raise themselves enough to do it all over again.

Poor match in terms of the amount of errors and the number of players behind the balll necessitating frequent lateral hand passes. But the wind was the main factor in causing this.

GalwayBayBoy

Wind your neck in ffs. Meehan was clearly caught on the knee. Probably could have fought to stay upright alright but in that situation deep in injury time and you get a knock like that any forward from junior B up is going to be thinking about winning the free. Ludicrous to say he should be getting an 8 week ban. For what it's worth there were clear fouls on both PJ and Bergin straight in front of the posts during the 2nd half that were not given so swings and roundabouts I guess.

Galway were dire in the first half even given playing into a gale. Workrate was almost non-existant. Sligo players weren't been tracked running from deep. Breaking ball wasn't being competed for. Things you imagine would be a Kernan trademark. It took the sending off of Armstrong to get them going. That and PJ who really guided Galway back into the game slowly with a few scores. Obviously Meehan made a big difference as well even though he's hardly fully fit. He didn't do anything fancy but he gave Galway a target to hit for once and he held possession up front and laid off a lot of good ball.

I have no problem with Armstrong's second yellow but what did he get his first one for? Coldrick booked 3 Galway players in 2 minutes towards the end of the first half and the cameras didn't seem to pick up any of them.

We were so bad in the first half I am reluctant to say that we deserved a draw but Sligo probably weren't great themselves in the second half with a man advantage. Anyway if we repeat today's first 35 minutes in the replay we may as well not turn up for it. Gale force wind or not it was very poor. Repeat the second 35 and we might have some chance.

mckieran

QuoteMeehan's free was dodgy. O'hara didnt deliberately trip him. But all the frees were soft. Armstrong was unlucky with the 2nd yellow but it was a lazy tackle. Joyce was pulled around the neck by O'Hara earlier (as Tatler pointed out) and the ref let it go.

Whether it was intentional or not, It was still a foul.

Shrewdness

O'Hara should get a kick in the bollocks for commiting that foul, and yes it was a foul as he clearly lunged into the Galway forward leading with his leg.
Surely he didn't expect to get away with that.....very juvenile stuff from a so called ''great'' player.

In my opinion , Sligo have blown it. I know the wind was a huge factor, and i know the replay will be in Sligo, but there is no way that Galway will be that bad again.
Teams like Sligo usually get one chance to beat teams like Galway, and very rarely pull it off second time around.

Well though he played, i thought some of Alan Costello's shot selection in the second half was very poor, as he kicked 3 bad wides.

Biggest room for improvement is left in Galway, and i reckon we'll be looking at a Roscommon/Galway Connacht Final in Hyde Park, where believe it or not, Roscommon might not be the no hopers that a lot of people think they will be.

shaund10

The replays are making you look very stupid aren't they?

Give me one instance of when he has ever dived in his career? Shut up you idiot.

On a side note, David Kelly is a great player but refs seem to give him frees whenever he is touched. Just because he is small doesn't entitle him to a free for every tackle made on him

ross4life

Quote from: Shrewdness on June 27, 2010, 05:34:17 PM

Biggest room for improvement is left in Galway, and i reckon we'll be looking at a Roscommon/Galway Connacht Final in Hyde Park, where believe it or not, Roscommon might not be the no hopers that a lot of people think they will be.

That draw doesn't help Roscommons task, as the fitness levels will be better with Galway/Sligo with the extra game now, if it's Galway they will have Meehan fully fit, we are massive outsiders regardless whoever the winners of this replay is

It was a poor game & unless Sligo/Galway improve they won't be getting past the quarter finals
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

GalwayBayBoy

A word for Padraig Joyce who I thought was magnificent in the 2nd half today. Even at 33 he looked a class above everyone else on the field. Will be a sad day when the great man finally packs it in.

Shrewdness

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on June 27, 2010, 05:52:05 PM
A word for Padraig Joyce who I thought was magnificent in the 2nd half today. Even at 33 he looked a class above everyone else on the field. Will be a sad day when the great man finally packs it in.

Yes, fully agree, Joyce is an absolute legend.

Celt_Man

Jaysus Sligo blew it today - they had Galway beaten all ends up but yet didn't win the game... They hit some terrible wides in the second half, their no. 5 had an absolutely shocking wide straight in front of the posts which obviously ended up costing them
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

shaund10

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on June 27, 2010, 05:52:05 PM

I said to a couple of people today that I might stop going to games when he retires. Might as well pull the team out altogether when that sad day comes. He is a perfect example that you can forget about fast strong tough athletes, having a brain is so much more important