Galway v Sligo - Connact SFC semi final 27th June

Started by galwayman, June 07, 2010, 08:06:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: mckieran on July 05, 2010, 02:57:36 PM
QuoteI think the Galway lad could have avoided his foot also.
Couldnt believe they were highlighting this on the sunday game; I was involved in far worse than this kind of going on when I was playing U-12! There was absolutely nothing to it. Backs often give their direct opponent a bit of a shoulder when they meet them. It happens in every game.

True there was nothing in that. I've seen bigger dunts given between a defender and a forward in women's football. Some water muddying going on there methinks.

Dangleberrys

God, were we watching the same incident??? How on earth could Concannon have avoided O'Hara's foot??? Also, brady's "accidentally on purpose" comment meant that O'Hara did it on purpose whilst trying to me it look like an accident. That was my take on it. There is no doubt in my mind that O'Hara could have avoided stamping on Concannon.

QuoteLike Alan Burke's classy (and I would suggest premediatated) "welcome" for David Kelly?

Couldnt believe they were highlighting this on the sunday game; I was involved in far worse than this kind of going on when I was playing U-12! There was absolutely nothing to it. Backs often give their direct opponent a bit of a shoulder when they meet them. It happens in every game.

QuoteFor what its worth I think he deserves to benefit of the doubt given the conditions

What have the conditions to do with this specific incident??? Absolutely nothing.

I have always liked O'Hara as a footballer and have great time for him. However, what he did on Saturday was just unacceptable. And as I said in my previous posts, if Galvin was involved in a similar incident on Saturday, Do you really think he would get away with it? That is what maddens me about incidents ike this.

By your reasoning, Fitz should get a three month ban for his "tackle" on O'Hara then....is that fair to say?

AZOffaly

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on July 05, 2010, 03:10:30 PM

True there was nothing in that. I've seen bigger dunts given between a defender and a forward in women's football. Some water muddying going on there methinks.

Lads, watch that again. It's not the shoulder dunt they were giving out about. The Galway lad tried to knee him in the balls as well at the same time. That's what they were highlighting.

As for the O'Hara incident, I think paddypastit made a great post, but I think it was one of those tangles, and O'Hara decided to put his foot down without caring too much about who was there. Reckless might be a better description than pre-meditated nastiness.

Hound

Quote from: AZOffaly on July 05, 2010, 03:21:59 PM
As for the O'Hara incident, I think paddypastit made a great post, but I think it was one of those tangles, and O'Hara decided to put his foot down without caring too much about who was there. Reckless might be a better description than pre-meditated nastiness.
Indeed "reckless" is probably a good description, though he was still wrong to do it and he could have avoided it. If I was a GAA citing commissioner I would impose a one match ban.

ross matt

O'Hara has always impressed and disappointed me at the same time over the years. I love his athleticism and adventurous style of play. One of the most mobile players in the game and yet one of the oldest and longest serving. He has great skill and vision also.

However Eamon is a pretty boy who always seems intent on proving he's a hard man too. Undoubtedley he is well able to take a hit and plough on thanks to his suberb physique. But he always seems to unneccessarily get involved in incidents. Loves being the centre of attention. Well known for the verbals.

So was it a deliberate stamp? I dont think anyone can say for sure. He either could'nt get his foot over the player or chose not to. "Accidentally on purpose" as Mr. Brady said. Inconclusive and for that reason I think he'll get off whether he deserves to or not.

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: ross matt on July 05, 2010, 03:33:36 PM
So was it a deliberate stamp? I dont think anyone can say for sure. He either could'nt get his foot over the player or chose not to. "Accidentally on purpose" as Mr. Brady said. Inconclusive and for that reason I think he'll get off whether he deserves to or not.

He'll almost certainly get off as there is probably enough reasonable doubt there to not make it clearcut but as I said I believe he knew what he was doing and where he was placing his feet. Players in that position usually do from my experience.

paddypastit

QuotePlayers in that position usually do from my experience

OK GGB, that's the second or third time you've said that... own up, which end of the foot were you on? :P
come disagree with me on http://gushtystuppencehapenny.wordpress.com/ and spread the word

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: paddypastit on July 05, 2010, 05:26:52 PM
QuotePlayers in that position usually do from my experience

OK GGB, that's the second or third time you've said that... own up, which end of the foot were you on? :P

I got it right on the family jewels unfortunately. I wasn't far away from converting to Judaism on a football field.

Rossfan

Quote from: Redhand Santa on July 04, 2010, 09:06:25 PM
. Was great to see Sligo win it ... Will be hard to beat in last 8 to.

:o :o :o :o
Did I miss the Connacht final or what?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

ross4life

Quote from: Rossfan on July 05, 2010, 05:55:15 PM
Quote from: Redhand Santa on July 04, 2010, 09:06:25 PM
. Was great to see Sligo win it ... Will be hard to beat in last 8 to.

:o :o :o :o
Did I miss the Connacht final or what?

From boards.ie

"Sligo deserved ye're win. Good to see another side emerge from Connacht. You got a harsh majority of frees for ye though. Best of luck in the All-Ireland Q-Finals. Hope ye do Connacht proud."
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

Shrewdness

Quote from: bennydorano on July 04, 2010, 09:20:39 PM
Quote from: Shrewdness on July 04, 2010, 07:54:10 PM
There are many lads in that Sligo team who do more than O'Hara, but never get the coverage he does.
I'd have much more time for true Sligo  greats from the recent past such as Paul Taylor, Paul Durkan, Dessie Sloyane to mention just a few.
Know little of Sligo football, but was Taylor not a bit of a sicknote?  Seems a churlish post.

If you know little of Sligo football, what are you doing trying to call Paul Taylor a ''sicknote''.

Dare i say that he was one of the finest forwards ever to play for Sligo. As for you PaddyPastit, i think i've finally worked out who you are, and if i'm correct, it's little wonder you're defending O'Hara.

Well done to Ross Matt who perfectly sums up O'Hara.

paddypastit

Shrewdness - my identity is no big secret and I make no apologies either for praising the good or pointing out the bad which I try to do fairly and honestly on the basis of what I actually see.  What I won't do is name call, stick badges on or make comments based on second hand info, half baked bar room opinions or convenient intercounty or interclub stereotypes.
come disagree with me on http://gushtystuppencehapenny.wordpress.com/ and spread the word

DJGaliv

Not a lot to say. Well done to Sligo, fully deserving of the win. It'll be an interesting Connacht final, seeing how they deal with being favourites.
I'm sure I'm not the only Galway man who's looking forward to Kevin Walsh's eventual return to Galway.
Any news on the injuries for Wexford?
Should have put my money where my mouth was for the first game,
Quote from: DJGaliv on June 14, 2010, 03:28:42 PM
Really hard game to call this one... Might be worth some money on the draw at 15/2.

Duine Eile

Mike Meehan is almost definitely out with damaged ankle ligaments and I'd say this game is a week or so too early for Nicky Joyce also. It's going to be tough against Wexford, not at all confident about this one.

ross4life

Quote from: Duine Eile on July 05, 2010, 10:09:27 PM
Mike Meehan is almost definitely out with damaged ankle ligaments and I'd say this game is a week or so too early for Nicky Joyce also. It's going to be tough against Wexford, not at all confident about this one.

In the league Wexford hammered Sligo & needed a last minute goal to beat us, since then Forde has returned, if Galway play like they did in the 1st Sligo game they will be beaten
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open