Most committed poster

Started by seafoid, June 07, 2010, 05:21:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ziggysego

Tony Fearon. A lot of his free time is taken up entering GAA competition and sending letters off looking for freebies.
Testing Accessibility

muppet

Quote from: ziggysego on June 07, 2010, 11:01:14 PM
Tony Fearon. A lot of his free time is taken up entering GAA competition and sending letters off looking for freebies.

That would be 'poster who has been committed most'.
MWWSI 2017

Celt_Man

Quote from: muppet on June 07, 2010, 11:02:06 PM
Quote from: ziggysego on June 07, 2010, 11:01:14 PM

That would be 'poster who has been committed most'.

:D :D :D
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

Zapatista

Quote from: tyronefan on June 07, 2010, 07:12:34 PM

was just saying the same to my kids about tyrone. They expect them to win every time they play.

Damned right they are too.

ballinaman

Quote from: Farrandeelin on June 07, 2010, 07:00:08 PM
Fair dues Sligonian, it's a pity my dad has given up on the Mayo cause, or is it... because I wonder if we'll ever go near winning anything again.
Well to be honest, ya can never turn your back on your county. It's not possible, view among some people in Mayo at the minute is "ahhra sure i wouldn't go across the street to see them play". Bullshit. Can't be done, for me at least. If Mayo were loose every game for the next 20 years....I'll still hang on every result and report.
Fair Dues to Sligonian, been through some dark days and it's great to be rewarded with great ones like last Saturday. No doubt there are countless other lads in other counties in the same situation, look at Louth sure, I'd say they have been waiting for a day like last Saturday longer than barring 2007 connacht win.

muppet

Quote from: ballinaman on June 08, 2010, 12:13:39 AM
Fair dues Sligonian, it's a pity my dad has given up on the Mayo cause, or is it... because I wonder if we'll ever go near winning anything again.
Well to be honest, ya can never turn your back on your county. It's not possible, view among some people in Mayo at the minute is "ahhra sure i wouldn't go across the street to see them play". Bullshit. Can't be done, for me at least. If Mayo were loose every game for the next 20 years....I'll still hang on every result and report.
Fair Dues to Sligonian, been through some dark days and it's great to be rewarded with great ones like last Saturday. No doubt there are countless other lads in other counties in the same situation, look at Louth sure, I'd say they have been waiting for a day like last Saturday longer that Sligo(2007).

There are times to trumpet your loyalty from the tree-tops and there are times not to. This is one of the latter.

None of it matters as when there is a match coming up the green and red mist will descend again. However in the absence of even a definite fixture to post suggested teams for, we should be allowed give out about losing a Connacht qf for a while.
MWWSI 2017

ballinaman

Quote from: muppet on June 08, 2010, 12:17:46 AM
Fair Dues to Sligonian, been through some dark days and it's great to be rewarded with great ones like last Saturday. No doubt there are countless other lads in other counties in the same situation, look at Louth sure, I'd say they have been waiting for a day like last Saturday longer that Sligo(2007).

There are times to trumpet your loyalty from the tree-tops and there are times not to. This is one of the latter.

None of it matters as when there is a match coming up the green and red mist will descend again. However in the absence of even a definite fixture to post suggested teams for, we should be allowed give out about losing a Connacht qf for a while.
A fair point. Best to keep stum. Very hard to give out over here when all people want to do is to talk about Rugby league, a truly awful sport.

seafoid

What happens to all of that furious match and team analysis capacity when the fixtures are in limbo?

muppet

Quote from: seafoid on June 08, 2010, 08:33:33 AM

What happens to all of that furious match and team analysis capacity when the fixtures are in limbo?

Patience Seafoid, patience. We'll be back on board the Messiah wagon soon enough.
MWWSI 2017

Lar Naparka

You better pray that they manage to escape quickly then. For if they don't, we'll hijack every thread around us; take over the running and get back to discussing Johnno's latest sayings and doings- as we always do. ;D
You better pray that the Messiah learns to tell his arse from his elbow real soon so we can scarper off  and set up our own dedicated abuse the manager thread once again.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

seafoid

Quote from: muppet on June 08, 2010, 12:51:05 PM

Patience Seafoid, patience. We'll be back on board the Messiah wagon soon enough.

MWWSI is still forecast for 2010 presumably or

muppet

Quote from: seafoid on June 08, 2010, 03:47:04 PM
Quote from: muppet on June 08, 2010, 12:51:05 PM

MWWSI is still forecast for 2010 presumably or

Quote from: muppet on December 28, 2009, 01:07:17 PM
Quote from: ONeill on December 18, 2009, 11:45:33 PM
This has been done a few times around this time of year.
My County: Mayo

Football Hopes for 2010: Senior Champions with a spine of young guns stepping up to the plate (Caff, Cunniffe, Higgins, Parsons, O'Shea), no reason the U-21s couldn't do it also.
Football Fears for 2010: Off-pitch events justify Barney's annual pessimism and for once I think it could happen, McHale Road, O'Shea off to Oz.

Hurling Hopes for 2010: Promotion to Division 2 (everytime we get there we are 'relegated' by a re-structuring), also an end to the constant re-structuring.
Hurling Fears for 2010: win Division 3 and re-structured into division 4

Predictions for 2010:

Football Provincial Champions: Sligo (the hard way beating Mayo Galway & Ros), Cork, Kildare, Tyrone
Football All Ireland Winners: Mayo (beating Tyrone)

Hurling Provincial Champions: Galway, Waterford
Hurling All Ireland Winners: Galway

Still on course for all of the above (even Barney's mood!) with the exception of Kildare (although O'Shea will hardly be off to Oz now .
MWWSI 2017

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: muppet on June 07, 2010, 06:42:07 PM
Quote from: seafoid on June 07, 2010, 06:33:21 PM
Fair play to you Sligonian. The 2 of ye must have enjoyed yesterday. It's true there is nothing like a win shared with the ould lad. Or that feeling when a goal goes in and you look at him and he's thinking the same thing as you.

Any of ye lads ever think of bringing a chick to a game?

I brought my woman(a Dub  :( ) to a Laois v Dublin game once...nearly split us up it did.
The only other time she got as mad at me was the time she caught me on the web cam late one night...but thats another story...

Anywhoo fair play to you Sligonian,I have much the same relationship with my Dad,he is one of my best friends and like yourself we almost lost him a few years ago to a heart attack.
You'll Never Walk Alone.

Louth Exile

Alright, don't know why I'm doing this, I am sober!! Very similar to Sligonian, I can certainly empathise with him.

The first Louth championship game I missed in years was in 07, the qualifier win over the Lillies, it was my Grandas first anniversary mass and wouldn't have dared suggesting to the mother to get it changed! Don't know when I had missed one before that but I would safely say it has to be some time in the eighties, when I was only a gassan. Ended up missing the following game against Cork due to my wedding rehearsal, I wouldn't mind but I rang the priest (a Meathman) on three separate occasions early in the week, (asking, demanding and pleading) to move the damn thing, he feckin refused to! The whole thing nearly didn't happen! Got to watch most of the game in the house, sent the wife and kids over the church and told her to ring us when we had to come over. The priest was greeted with three Louth brothers in our colours and wired for sound, with Brian Carty whispering sweet nothings into my ear about the chances of us getting a winning goal at the death and pulling off a mighty win, while I stand at the top of a deserted church in Navan!

The first game that I really, really remember was the 91 victory over Mickos Kildare, with about 13 thousand squashed into the Gaelic Grounds in Drogheda, it was just me and Dad that went to the game. When Stefan buried the ball we jumped and jumped for joy together. We have that typical Irish father and son relationship where we love each other, but so often football is the main subject of conversations, with moments like that you can hug the man. Fast forward to last Saturday night, with the wife away on a Hen, my two young fellas (Meath men of 11 & 4 years of age) had no choice but to go to the game with me. Most championship games, I go with the mates and stand in the terrace, probably about 40% are with the family. Anyway, with bringing the kids I made sure that I had back up in the form of their Grandad. We sat in the uncovered area of the stand, close to where myself and wife and eldest had sat on the night that GG broke Louth hearts with the most crippling defeat I have ever experienced following the Wee County (and we have our share of hard luck stories!). This game would banish some of those ghosts, particularly the way we held possession towards the end and the fullback line stood strong against the hail marys being bombed in from the Kildare midfield at the death.

To walk out onto the hallowed turf of Pairc Tailteann afterwards with the old man the two boys, having witnessed that game was one of those feelings you love to experience. Got a picture of the four of us in our colours on the pitch, one to treasure. We were down home yesterday evening for dinner and I asked Dad, "You've never been to see Louth play in a Leinster Final". There was a lump in his throat when he answered No. He knows there is a very good chance of making the final. For a man like that who has put so much of his life into the GAA both at club and county, I hope to God that he gets to see Louth compete in a Leinster final before his days come to an end. As for the boys, they clapped and cheered Louth on all the way and the eldest fella is Die hard Meath, it was great. In fact the last time I had been at a game in Pairc Tailteann with my Dad was the mighty Tyrone match of 07, the eldest lad didn't come that day, opting as kids of 8 years of age tend to do, to go to a birthday party instead. Otherwise we would have had four generations at that game, as there myself, the brother, my Dad and his Dad. It was the last time I was at a championship match with Granda and what a one it was!

Its great to stand on the terrace with the lads and have the craic, but it is definitely more special to be there with the man who made you care about the game in the first place. As supporters we went into the game on Saturday night with no expectations. We were treated to a wonderful game that has created expectations, the club can take a backseat for the time being in our thoughts. We want to beat Westmeath something rotten, its all that you can think about now, going to Croker on the 11th July with Dad and the boys (even if the eldest fella is wearing a Meath jersey). Oh man do I hope we beat Westmeath, with the wait that we've had to endure and the style of football played at the weekend, even the most diehard Westmeath man wouldn't begrudge us our chance!
St. Josephs GFC - SFC Champions 1996 & 2006, IFC Champions 1983, 1990 & 2016 www.thejoesgfc.com

muppet

Nice one Louth Exile.

Hard to see any sport but the Gaa giving days like that to a family.
MWWSI 2017