Most committed poster

Started by seafoid, June 07, 2010, 05:21:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seafoid

Can any of you beat this contribution by Sligonian who goes far beyond the call of duty in following his county? Do any of you share this intensity of commitment with other family members?

It took me a while to get to sleep last night, replaying the game in my head as I lay on the pillow. One thing I had nearly forgotten yday, was i missed all last yr due to being away, which broke my continous championship match record of being at everyone since 1989, well 2008 was my last championship and id forgotten how nervous I get before the games, alot of toilet visits. Well when the game started my nerves went thankfully, I didnt really worry at all at our start although my Dad was going ballistic with ref even at that stage, and parents of young children gave out to him for his cursing

Hardy

Quote from: seafoid on June 07, 2010, 05:21:14 PM
Can any of you beat this contribution by Sligonian who goes far beyond the call of duty in following his county? Do any of you share this intensity of commitment with other family members?

It took me a while to get to sleep last night, replaying the game in my head as I lay on the pillow. One thing I had nearly forgotten yday, was i missed all last yr due to being away, which broke my continous championship match record of being at everyone since 1989, well 2008 was my last championship and id forgotten how nervous I get before the games, alot of toilet visits. Well when the game started my nerves went thankfully, I didnt really worry at all at our start although my Dad was going ballistic with ref even at that stage, and parents of young children gave out to him for his cursing

His dad can, by the sound of it.

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: seafoid on June 07, 2010, 05:21:14 PM

To be honest Seafoid im sure many GAA men out are as committed as me. I think its worth sharing the followin stories as a add on though,

In 2004 my Dad had a heart attack at 11 am in the morning and was rushed to hospital, they stabilised him in hospital and saved his life, when we were allowed into the room Dad gave me the thumbs up, and said son " unless you go to the Kildare game this evening i might have another one" I said Im not going but Dad insisted" i want to hear the report on the game from you", and I didnt want to argue with him, I was numb, and in bits all day, But I went, we beat Kildare with 1-3 in the last 8 mins to win by 1pt,

Add on to that when we won Connacht in 07, it was undescribale that feeling when we hugged at the end, and jumped up and down. I was so grateful to experience that with my Dad, Dad is the real hero, when no one supported Sligo he was there, in the early ninty we were the only 2 at league games no joke.

In 2006 we got Leitrim in the qualifiers, same weekend as oxegen, my first time to go to it, i had a weekend ticket, leitrim beat us in 05 and i was thinking revenge, so anyways i got up at 6am onthe Sunday without telling all my mates, got bus to Dublin CC, got Bus then to Longford, Dad picked me up and i went to the game in my wellingtons (as i was soaked), not out of place in Leitrim, we won 1-7 to 0-9, and I was dleighted, and had to go back to dublin after to be at work next day.

Nothing seals the bond between Father and Son like the GAA, we suffer alot with Sligo no doubt and hits us hard, but those days of success wipe them out easily, for me and Dad its not about days out either, its about winning. I am blessed and the luck one to have that with Dad.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

seafoid

Fair play to you Sligonian. The 2 of ye must have enjoyed yesterday. It's true there is nothing like a win shared with the ould lad. Or that feeling when a goal goes in and you look at him and he's thinking the same thing as you.   

muppet

Quote from: seafoid on June 07, 2010, 06:33:21 PM
Fair play to you Sligonian. The 2 of ye must have enjoyed yesterday. It's true there is nothing like a win shared with the ould lad. Or that feeling when a goal goes in and you look at him and he's thinking the same thing as you.

Any of ye lads ever think of bringing a chick to a game?
MWWSI 2017

Hardy

As the ould lad in such a relationship, I can say it's pretty good from the ould lad's point of view too.

Farrandeelin

Fair dues Sligonian, it's a pity my dad has given up on the Mayo cause, or is it... because I wonder if we'll ever go near winning anything again.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

BallyhaiseMan

Quote from: muppet on June 07, 2010, 06:42:07 PM

Yep, dont do it unless shes very much into football.

TacadoirArdMhacha

I have to say I was surprised by how sanguine I was about yesterday's result. It definitely didn't bother me as much as it would have 5 or 6 years ago when I was in my late teens even though I probably go to more League / Mckenna Cup matches now than I did then. I suppose the back door contributes to that but its probably more the fact that I don't expect Armagh to win the All Ireland anyway this year so the pain of defeat isn't as bitter. Or maybe I'm just growing up.

I think to a certain extent Armagh fans of my age were completely spoilt over the past decade. We saw our county double our Ulster Championship total in the space of 9 years, win our first All Ireland Senior, first All Ireland u21, first National League title and first Minor All Ireland since 1949. That's an amazing amount of success in a short period given our comparative poverty in the 20th century. I suppose its unreasonable as supporters to expect success to continue on that scale.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: BallyhaiseMan on June 07, 2010, 07:04:06 PM

Or if you've no one else to go with...
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

tyronefan

Quote from: TacadoirArdMhacha on June 07, 2010, 07:07:31 PM
I have to say I was surprised by how sanguine I was about yesterday's result. It definitely didn't bother me as much as it would have 5 or 6 years ago when I was in my late teens even though I probably go to more League / Mckenna Cup matches now than I did then. I suppose the back door contributes to that but its probably more the fact that I don't expect Armagh to win the All Ireland anyway this year so the pain of defeat isn't as bitter. Or maybe I'm just growing up.

I think to a certain extent Armagh fans of my age were completely spoilt over the past decade. We saw our county double our Ulster Championship total in the space of 9 years, win our first All Ireland Senior, first All Ireland u21, first National League title and first Minor All Ireland since 1949. That's an amazing amount of success in a short period given our comparative poverty in the 20th century. I suppose its unreasonable as supporters to expect success to continue on that scale.

was just saying the same to my kids about tyrone. They expect them to win every time they play. There was a lot of years of nothing.
I tell them to enjoy it now because god knows how long it will last.

BallyhaiseMan

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on June 07, 2010, 07:09:57 PM

cant agree Croi
Id normaly go to games with the lads from the club,but trust me id go alone rather than bring someone who has no interest in whats going on.

pintsofguinness

Quote from: BallyhaiseMan on June 07, 2010, 07:12:59 PM
Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on June 07, 2010, 07:09:57 PM

cant agree Croi
Id normaly go to games with the lads from the club,but trust me id go alone rather than bring someone who has no interest in whats going on.
That's true! People with no interest drive me mad, particularly after a defeat.  Particularly my ma! "well they can't win them all"  "sure someone has to win" "sure I could do better myself" aaaaaaaaaah!
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

Down South

^^^^^^^^^
Says yer man, the last time he was at a game the admission price was in shillings.  ::)

IolarCoisCuain

I still think Sligonian should get a girlfriend. Even it was only for the League.