Calling any automotive legal eagles

Started by sammymaguire, June 06, 2010, 11:53:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sammymaguire

DS - my main point on this occasion is that you are a sh1t stirring pr@t and one who doesn't really know his arse from his elbow, especially when it comes to standing up for yourself when you are not in the wrong. I am well within my rights to require BMW and The Dealership who sold me this defective vehicle to stand by the product and they have accepted that today and now BMW are happy to offer to pay for 100% of the parts so all I am waiting for now is the dealership to give me a reasonable labour quote to carry out the work and we are back on the road. A premium car should not simply give up on the driver after 55k miles and less than 4.5 years and who the fcuk in their right mind reaches their destination in a car and says, I must leave this running now to let the turbo cool down before I turn my engine off and hop out on my way??  ???  ::) This is the second most expensive thing people tend to buy after their house so when you are supposed to be dealing with reputable companies you expect them to help sort the problems out when they arise through no fault of your own. If I drove it through a river then fair enough (or even off road!!  ;) )

4x4, hell no, Sports Utility Vehicle my man!!  :D  :D

Go get your boiler suit back on then Clarkson and stay away from the laptop for christ sake
DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!

pintsofguinness

Oh dear, downsouth's medication will be tested to the max now.
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

Cde

Quote from: sammymaguire on June 07, 2010, 09:52:48 PM
DS - my main point on this occasion is that you are a sh1t stirring pr@t and one who doesn't really know his arse from his elbow, especially when it comes to standing up for yourself when you are not in the wrong. I am well within my rights to require BMW and The Dealership who sold me this defective vehicle to stand by the product and they have accepted that today and now BMW are happy to offer to pay for 100% of the parts so all I am waiting for now is the dealership to give me a reasonable labour quote to carry out the work and we are back on the road. A premium car should not simply give up on the driver after 55k miles and less than 4.5 years and who the fcuk in their right mind reaches their destination in a car and says, I must leave this running now to let the turbo cool down before I turn my engine off and hop out on my way??  ???  ::) This is the second most expensive thing people tend to buy after their house so when you are supposed to be dealing with reputable companies you expect them to help sort the problems out when they arise through no fault of your own. If I drove it through a river then fair enough (or even off road!!  ;) )

4x4, hell no, Sports Utility Vehicle my man!!  :D  :D

Go get your boiler suit back on then Clarkson and stay away from the laptop for christ sake

good man Sammy   hope the f**kers play fair with the labour costs

Down South

Puckoon, BMW provide a 3 year warranty with all cars in the UK. If the car is serviced properly you have the option of renewing the warranty on a yearly basis at a cost to yourself, I don't know what it is on an X3, but I assume it is around £750. If Sammy had taken out the warranty he would not be complaining. As for the car, it is over 4 years old, we don't know how it has been driven or serviced. When you see a car advertised as "one careful lady owner" run a mile, there is no such thing.
Things break, sh*t happens. Take it on the chin and pay up. If Sammy pays full dealer prices to get this fixed he is mad in the head. Any local mechanic with decent diagnostic equipment will fix it for a fraction of the price, a turbo can be reconditioned for £200, it may not even need that.

I drive a BMW, currently an X6. I had a gearbox go on my M5 last year. I rang BMW assist and they recovered the car, gave me a courtesy car and repaired it under warranty. I had an engine let go on the motorway at a silly speed in a new model M3, the dealer could have washed his hands of the car, the ecu would have told him that I had taken the limiter off the car and was travelling well above BMW's own upper limit. They put a new engine into the car, again under warranty and advised me not to delimit the car in future.
Their customer service is excellent, their dealer network is second to none and for people to spout sectarian bullsh*t about David Prentice is ridiculous. If he was anything other than whiter than white there would not be so many BMW's on the roads around the border.

The customer is not always right, he just thinks that because he drives what is perceived to be a prestige brand that it will never break down. All mechanical parts will suffer from wear and tear and will have to be replaced. A turbo will rarely, if ever just let go. It will show signs of deterioration long before it gives up the ghost. Is it bad customer service if the customer cannot see the signs, or is it because the customer supports Celtic. There has never been one prod BMW breakdown on the roads in NI.

5ive Times ??

sammymaguire

Breitling  :D you seem to know alot about the BMW set-up, you work at Prentice in Portadown then DS?? great attitude you have I must say...

warranty gets you what exactly? ask honest john

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=82749

side issue here, anyone seen the new Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG Gullwing

DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!

sammymaguire

Quote from: Down South on June 07, 2010, 09:58:36 PM
Puckoon, BMW provide a 3 year warranty with all cars in the UK. If the car is serviced properly you have the option of renewing the warranty on a yearly basis at a cost to yourself, I don't know what it is on an X3, but I assume it is around £750. If Sammy had taken out the warranty he would not be complaining. As for the car, it is over 4 years old, we don't know how it has been driven or serviced. When you see a car advertised as "one careful lady owner" run a mile, there is no such thing.
Things break, sh*t happens. Take it on the chin and pay up. If Sammy pays full dealer prices to get this fixed he is mad in the head. Any local mechanic with decent diagnostic equipment will fix it for a fraction of the price, a turbo can be reconditioned for £200, it may not even need that.

I drive a BMW, currently an X6. I had a gearbox go on my M5 last year. I rang BMW assist and they recovered the car, gave me a courtesy car and repaired it under warranty. I had an engine let go on the motorway at a silly speed in a new model M3, the dealer could have washed his hands of the car, the ecu would have told him that I had taken the limiter off the car and was travelling well above BMW's own upper limit. They put a new engine into the car, again under warranty and advised me not to delimit the car in future.
Their customer service is excellent, their dealer network is second to none and for people to spout sectarian bullsh*t about David Prentice is ridiculous. If he was anything other than whiter than white there would not be so many BMW's on the roads around the border.

The customer is not always right, he just thinks that because he drives what is perceived to be a prestige brand that it will never break down. All mechanical parts will suffer from wear and tear and will have to be replaced. A turbo will rarely, if ever just let go. It will show signs of deterioration long before it gives up the ghost. Is it bad customer service if the customer cannot see the signs, or is it because the customer supports Celtic. There has never been one prod BMW breakdown on the roads in NI.

5ive Times ??

care to explain that johnny x6?
DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!

Down South

Quote from: sammymaguire on June 07, 2010, 09:52:48 PM
I am well within my rights to require BMW and The Dealership who sold me this defective vehicle to stand by the product

By your own admission you bought the car 2 years ago. Was it defective then? You got 2 years use from the car before it went wrong. In an earlier post I think you mentioned the sale of goods act, does that act cover more than 2 years? The car is heading for 5 years old, if the dealer is offering 100% of the cost of the part then you would be mad not to take it, they are being more than generous.
What you seem to have missed is that there is more to running a car than just diesel and tyres. Things will break and you will be expected to pay for them, it may be a strange concept to you, but we all have to pay our way in life. 

The Real Laoislad

No offense sammymaguire but I don't see the attraction in BMW's at all.
You'll Never Walk Alone.

The Real Laoislad

5ive Times ??

The X6 is a horrid looking car IMO..
I'm sure its nice to drive but it's fair ugly in fairness
You'll Never Walk Alone.

sammymaguire

It might have been defective 2 years ago for all I know but they papered over the cracks... look I choose to buy a BMW for drive, comfort and reliability, not for the badge or any other reason, (although I will be going back to the 3-pointed star after this episode) I accept everything that comes with driving one, the power, handling and enjoyment when things do not go wrong. I also accept the pretty high running costs, services, mpg is not great either but am I whinging about that? (the run flats on the 325 I have myself are an expensive gimmick too but hey ho) - simple question, who expects a car such as this to just breakdown in such a manner after only 4 years through no fault of the driver? NO-ONE!
DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!

Down South

Quote from: The Real Laoislad on June 07, 2010, 10:15:18 PM
The X6 is a horrid looking car IMO..
I'm sure its nice to drive but it's fair ugly in fairness

The X6 is a marmite car, you either love it or hate it. I have met very few who like it. It is very hard on diesel, even the red stuff.

sammymaguire

Quote from: The Real Laoislad on June 07, 2010, 10:13:41 PM
No offense sammymaguire but I don't see the attraction in BMW's at all.

I can't knock the new 3 series for power thats one thing for sure... but yes I agree, they are no big deal, the 3/5 series saloons must be one of the most common cars on the roads of Ireland though during/after this Celtic Tiger

The wife and 2 little uns tend to lug around alot of stuff where ever they go, the choices in this bracket were limited as the next range up are too big ie Toureg, ML, Q7, Volvo XC90, etc and the Tiguan/Q5/Kuga etc have very small boot space so it was best car for her that we saw in two-three weeks of shopping around. Interior is very dated on it now though.

I like Marmite but I am not so keen on X6 drivers  ;)
DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!

sammymaguire

Quote from: sammymaguire on June 07, 2010, 10:08:18 PM

The customer is not always right, he just thinks that because he drives what is perceived to be a prestige brand that it will never break down. All mechanical parts will suffer from wear and tear and will have to be replaced. A turbo will rarely, if ever just let go. It will show signs of deterioration long before it gives up the ghost. Is it bad customer service if the customer cannot see the signs, or is it because the customer supports Celtic. There has never been one prod BMW breakdown on the roads in NI[/b].

5ive Times ??

care to explain that johnny x6?

I am still wondering about this...
DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!

johnneycool

I've heard horror stories of turbo's going on Ford Galaxys after only 35K worth of driving and a well known Ford dealer in Mallusk putting it down to city only driving. They did fix the turbo after a bit of gurning plus the lad in question insisted and obtained an agreement from Ford UK that if the turbo went again within a year they replace the whole car and guess what, it went again 13 months down the line and Ford did replace the vehicle after being threatened with the law. They also reprogrammed the EMS with settings normally used in the channel islands as it they don't have a motorway allegedly.

As much as you can help the way you drive a car, I think its totally unreasonable that you'd need to think about warming up and cooling down a turbo in this day and age. IMO its a design flaw that you'd need to even consider this.
I remember a lad had a Shogun jeep which the engine kept running for a while after he had switched off the ignition and gotten out of it, maybe more manufacturers need to introduce this..

sammymaguire

johnneycool, a man of the 21st century... why should consumers who pay for something take full responsibility for replacing/repairing something when it goes wrong, when imo its up to the manufacturer to make sure the bloody thing works properly in the first place and will last a reasonable amount of time for the money which is being paid for it...
DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!