James Horan
Tommy Lyons
Anthony McGarry
John Maughan

moysider

Quote from: rosnarun on September 29, 2010, 10:29:20 PM
Quote from: moysider on September 29, 2010, 09:52:15 PM
Quote from: Jinxy on September 29, 2010, 09:46:43 PM
Ye are all more than welcome to join the Official Meath manager thread.

Yawn. Only 6 pages. Where would the likes of me be without intrigue and conspiracy?
you could make it up again

Confirmed  in mayo we have the world worst conspirators
the only man with out a conspiracy got the job
or was this the ultimate fifth(castlebar telegraph) columnist conspiracy
or just a case  of every one we don't like supporters being blackguards   

Good luck james by christ youll need it

Nothing was made up old sport.

kevmy

Quote from: moysider on September 29, 2010, 10:27:35 PM
Quote from: kevmy on September 29, 2010, 10:16:16 PM
Congrats and good luck to James and all the backroom team. It looks like a good setup with a good mix of people involved. The only thing I hope is that now the fans favourite has got the job that expectations don't go mad. It is also worth remembering Johnno was a fan favourite when he was appointed. We can only give our support and hope it ends up in a better place than we have in the last few yrs.

I don't think expectations have anything got to do with it. Well they do I suppose. Expectations should be high and everybody, players especially, should know that before they sign up. Johnno, being a spoofer , shot himself in the foot by lowering expectation. His backroom team weren't at the races either. Horan will only be a success if he has the physical training/ conditioning to match the best set-ups in the country. Will he have that with those currently in his team?

EDIT. Other names emerging. Dr Seán Moffatt, Joe Dawson (physio), Paul O Grady ? Liam Moffatt - he s into sport science? Ed Coughlan ( strength and conditioning). Ah yes this looks more like it on paper anyway. If I m not mistaken this may be like going from the stone age to the space age in a few months. Please God let it be so.

Obviously expectations should be there and be realistic. But expecting the lads to come in and turn it around immediately and win an AI or something. Unrealistic expectations can breed pressure and end in premature sackings. We should aim for passion, fight, common sense football, with our best players on the pitch giving the best they can. After that what happens happens.

Justmaybe

James Horan said in his speech this evening that good communication between the mayo manager and the managers of the clubs around the county is very important and that he will be looking at players from all level's, he pointed out that 6 or 7 of the Cork team were not senior players. He also said this appointment was not just about a manager but about the background team behind him also.

boosabum

Quote from: moysider on September 29, 2010, 09:45:42 PM
Quote from: boosabum on September 29, 2010, 09:34:45 PM
I was making the point (before I deleted my reply) that the man who played the blinder was James horan. I then went on to question how you can speak of manipulation and then imply that the secretary who was not on the panel "played a blinder" which in turns suggests that he manipulated the decision process. I then asked if they was a ballintubber conspiracy.

No. And I m sure Horan did a great interview.  But James had to have support within as well to turn this around. We know the executive was split from the start and weeks ago I said on here that Horan might benefit from that. I believe that Lyons was dropped when they realised there was a groundswell of opinion against them. Then there is every likelihood that the anti - Lyons faction within the executive were canvassing support from club delegates  last few days while we were talking. Maybe they counted the numbers and relised that they couldn't get Lyons through a vote. Or maybe they all just came to their senses and did the right thing. We ll know when the journalists do their job and sift through it.
Moysider, maybe you have sources a lot closer to the action than i have. i don't believe there was any official "unofficial" push for tommy, i suspect each had their own ideas and at the end JH was the man. I'm sure your aware that Feeney is the task master and his decree of no outsiders quickly banished tommy carr and micko and pulled his own man home. I am not being disingenuios to James when i say that. My opinion is that he interviewed well, proposed a good team with galway and dublin based selectors and this coupled with sundays win got him past the post. Hopefully his tenure is a fruitful one and not a copy of the holmes experiment which untilmately ended badly. Maybe his namesake can return to her old job as PRO since its up for grabs. I don't think that any canvassing was carried out, whomever was proposed tonight would have been ratified regardless. Roll on september 2011, the 60th anniversery. I'll book the 4 seasons for a change of luck

rosnarun

As i said on page 4 of this thread this was all bound to happen

welcome just maybe have we seen you before???
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Justmaybe

No, long long time reader, 1st time posted.  Delighted with the new manager so couldn't stay quiet any longer :)

moysider

Quote from: rosnarun on September 29, 2010, 10:31:27 PM
Expectations are the same as ever
Win an all Ireland ot there are Questions to answer

if you dont agree tell me when was the last time you were satisfied with the way Mayo exited the championship

Personally I have never been satisfied - but perversely this year came close with a fitting end to a self-serving, depressing era.

It would be disturbing if we would be satisfied with anything apart from outright victory. And I m sure James Horan will not be satisfied if he does not win one in his time as manager. That s the way it is and should be. I wouldn't fear for James Horan. He knows what he s letting himself in for but I m sure he s delighted to be given a great opportunity. Unlike the last guy who treated it as a chore. He has plenty to be getting on with and not be bothered about fans expectations. I hope he can turn around - like Loughnane did in Clare- and say, in a couple of years, that the hardest thing about the Mayo job was actually gettin the job in the first place. If he doesn't win one - which unfortunately is likely, as we haven't won one in 60 years and there is only one satisfied county every year - we move on. If he's got the expertise about him I think he ll go very close. Provided he starts off bold with panel selection.

boosabum

Are we sure that this is'nt like the Australia's next top model fiasco where they named the wrong winner by mistake?
This may not be over yet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

moysider

Quote from: boosabum on September 29, 2010, 10:55:10 PM
Quote from: moysider on September 29, 2010, 09:45:42 PM
Quote from: boosabum on September 29, 2010, 09:34:45 PM
I was making the point (before I deleted my reply) that the man who played the blinder was James horan. I then went on to question how you can speak of manipulation and then imply that the secretary who was not on the panel "played a blinder" which in turns suggests that he manipulated the decision process. I then asked if they was a ballintubber conspiracy.

No. And I m sure Horan did a great interview.  But James had to have support within as well to turn this around. We know the executive was split from the start and weeks ago I said on here that Horan might benefit from that. I believe that Lyons was dropped when they realised there was a groundswell of opinion against them. Then there is every likelihood that the anti - Lyons faction within the executive were canvassing support from club delegates  last few days while we were talking. Maybe they counted the numbers and relised that they couldn't get Lyons through a vote. Or maybe they all just came to their senses and did the right thing. We ll know when the journalists do their job and sift through it.
Moysider, maybe you have sources a lot closer to the action than i have. i don't believe there was any official "unofficial" push for tommy, i suspect each had their own ideas and at the end JH was the man. I'm sure your aware that Feeney is the task master and his decree of no outsiders quickly banished tommy carr and micko and pulled his own man home. I am not being disingenuios to James when i say that. My opinion is that he interviewed well, proposed a good team with galway and dublin based selectors and this coupled with sundays win got him past the post. Hopefully his tenure is a fruitful one and not a copy of the holmes experiment which untilmately ended badly. Maybe his namesake can return to her old job as PRO since its up for grabs. I don't think that any canvassing was carried out, whomever was proposed tonight would have been ratified regardless. Roll on september 2011, the 60th anniversery. I'll book the 4 seasons for a change of luck

Look. We re basically saying the same thing. But Tommy Lyons did not become odds on for nothing. Sure you re agreeing with me that Feeney had a hand in it. Remember it appeared the interview committee was loaded  in Waldron s/Lyons  favour. To hell with it, it is agood result. The right man got the job. Onwards.

moysider

Quote from: boosabum on September 29, 2010, 11:00:16 PM
Are we sure that this is'nt like the Australia's next top model fiasco where they named the wrong winner by mistake?

You re drinking your grog too fast mate. WTF?

ballinaman

Quote from: boosabum on September 29, 2010, 11:00:16 PM
Ya but the difference there is you'd gladly let either do a job for ya... ;)

Peter Solan the Great

I see the mayo news have him down as a New Zealander? whats his backround when did he move back etc?

moysider

Quote from: Peter Solan the Great on September 29, 2010, 11:13:15 PM
I see the mayo news have him down as a New Zealander? whats his backround when did he move back etc?

Yeah. Born in NZ and could have been well weaned by the time his family came back. The local Tubber lads would know the day and time of course. I never say him play until the Galway league match in McHale Park in Autumn 95. He played 11. I ve no recollection of him playing Minor or U21 so he may have come to the game late enough so, 12 - 15 ? Interestingly he played a lot at no. 11 during the league and a lot thought him too slow and deliberate. He was much more effective at 12 later in the Summer but unfortunately we ended up without a number 11 at all, with Colm Mac playin as sweeper. Without much tweaking that team could have won a couple. It s more difficult now for Horan in the sense we don t have as strong a player as then and the bar has been raised since in training and tactics.

stephenite

A big leap into the unknown, but all the best to Horan and his backroom team.

Who's taking over from him for the County final?

antoinse

Congratulations to James Horan. Hopefully he will bring the success to Mayo that his namesake the great Monsignor did and that they will be flying high again soon. A great decion that I have no doubt the county will be well rewarded with pride once again restored in the county.
Over to you now,  Galway, be brave,  do the same - a homegrown man for the job.