Who would you like to see as Mayo Manager in 2010

James Horan
Tommy Lyons
Anthony McGarry
John Maughan

IolarCoisCuain

Quote from: ildanach on September 29, 2010, 09:51:52 PM
Quote from: IolarCoisCuain on September 29, 2010, 09:40:34 PM
Best of luck to James Horan. The first League game is in Caisleán a'Bharraigh against Down. It seems fairly mouth-watering now.
where did you see the fixture list?

I didn't - someone rang me. I'm open to correction on it.

moysider

Quote from: Cosmo Kramer on September 29, 2010, 09:36:06 PM
A good result all round then. Whatever happens now, nobody can come back and say that someone was parachuted in or forced on the team and supporters. The will of the general public wins the day, which is unusual in Mayo football.

Its probably the ideal time for him to come in as well, zero expectation of instant success after this years efforts, so time to rebuild the squad and put a gameplan together. At the same time time plenty of underage talent to bring through and a clubmate of the manager to build the team around in Dillon.

Now we can start to speculate who he'll be taking to NY.  :)

The NY trip could be tricky. I know of one lad not in the Summer panel that was contacted weeks ago and told he was going. Then there are likes of Dillon and Conor Mort that did not play in FBD? Do they go with the FBD panel - some of whom may not be in their plans for the future? Remember a lot of the younger players at college would not have played FBD for the county. Or do they bring a expeditionary panel of the new managements choice to NY?

crossfire

Best of luck to James Horan. The first League game is in Caisleán a'Bharraigh against Down. It seems fairly mouth-watering now.

Is he the boyo who built the airport at Knock.? ;D

omagh_gael

Now that the man you all wanted got the gig, how are ye's going to push the thread over the 100 page mark when all your angst and pains have been eased?? ;)

IolarCoisCuain

Quote from: omagh_gael on September 29, 2010, 10:07:12 PM
Now that the man you all wanted got the gig, how are ye's going to push the thread over the 100 page mark when all your angst and pains have been eased?? ;)

We'll do it just as we hope the team will play under Horan. By rising to the challenge.

moysider

Quote from: IolarCoisCuain on September 29, 2010, 09:57:05 PM
Quote from: ildanach on September 29, 2010, 09:51:52 PM
where did you see the fixture list?

I didn't - someone rang me. I'm open to correction on it.

Wasn't aware of any League fixtures yet?

highorlow

Thank God we got the right man.

We can thank Joe Coleman for his prayers in Knock.
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: omagh_gael on September 29, 2010, 10:07:12 PM

Watch the post Summer pessimism quickly turn into boundless optimism. Should get it over the ton. ;D

kevmy

Congrats and good luck to James and all the backroom team. It looks like a good setup with a good mix of people involved. The only thing I hope is that now the fans favourite has got the job that expectations don't go mad. It is also worth remembering Johnno was a fan favourite when he was appointed. We can only give our support and hope it ends up in a better place than we have in the last few yrs.

Jinxy

Well done to James anyway.
Some man to kick a point.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

ballinaman

Best of Luck James, always stood up and was counted as a player, more the the same now is a cert. No bullshit. Great news to start the day. up the field mayo...

moysider

Quote from: kevmy on September 29, 2010, 10:16:16 PM
Congrats and good luck to James and all the backroom team. It looks like a good setup with a good mix of people involved. The only thing I hope is that now the fans favourite has got the job that expectations don't go mad. It is also worth remembering Johnno was a fan favourite when he was appointed. We can only give our support and hope it ends up in a better place than we have in the last few yrs.

I don't think expectations have anything got to do with it. Well they do I suppose. Expectations should be high and everybody, players especially, should know that before they sign up. Johnno, being a spoofer , shot himself in the foot by lowering expectation. His backroom team weren't at the races either. Horan will only be a success if he has the physical training/ conditioning to match the best set-ups in the country. Will he have that with those currently in his team?

EDIT. Other names emerging. Dr Seán Moffatt, Joe Dawson (physio), Paul O Grady ? Liam Moffatt - he s into sport science? Ed Coughlan ( strength and conditioning). Ah yes this looks more like it on paper anyway. If I m not mistaken this may be like going from the stone age to the space age in a few months. Please God let it be so.

Lar Naparka

Quote from: moysider on September 29, 2010, 09:10:41 PM
Quote from: Lar Naparka on September 29, 2010, 08:41:54 PM
Quote from: rosnarun on September 29, 2010, 06:58:25 PM
no but all the in the know guess have been or wrong so far .
the appointment of tommy lyons wont prove anything either .
if you make enough wild guess's your chances of appearing to be right increases greatly.
Plus did they not appoint a complete outsider in liam Horan
my opinion is there is an intense debate going on amongst these appointed to appoint and each is doing all they can to get their man in
this is as it should be. we dont want a repeat of the disaster of JOM

Well put, ros.
Less than an hour to go and if the CB has been trying to manipulate the proceedings all along they have been making a damn bad job of it. No one knew when the selection process got underway that Lyons, Horan and McGarry were going to be the only ones still in the reckoning. No one could have known that any of them would have decided to contest the position in the first place.
I have one good reason for thinking that the whole drawn out process was reasonably open and fair from the start and that's because I feel reason the CB didn't go ahead and pick their man without bothering to consult anyone else was that they feared the consequences if their next appointment was as ill-judged as their last. A classic instance of buck passing, IMO.
I will accept the choice of the delegates at the meeting now underway. I expect Horan to land the gig but I won't be shattered if any of the other pair is chosen.

Are you on the wind up Lar. Of course they were trying to manipulate things but they did do a bad job of it. No surprise there.So bad in fact that it may have worked in our favour and the earlier dispatches are correct and Horan has indeed got it. Fortunately the top table in the CB was split from the start or we d have had Micko, John M or Lyons. A few cuter ones  that kept their powder dry ( I suspect the secretary played a blinder here) seem to have won the day. I ve had a few texts close to ground zero that Horan has it.

No windup at all, moysider; in fact, I've said the same thing as you- just a matter of different emphasis
.Of course the board members had their own particular agendas- that's only to be expected and I'd be surprised if they hadn't acted true to form.
But what I wanted to put across was that the CB- as a body- hadn't decided to back one single individual from the word go. I couldn't agree with the notion that Tommy Lyons or Maughan or Micko for that matter was going to walk into the job because the CB had decided the outcome in advance.
Too many egos to be massaged for that so the favourite tag was switched about as one faction or another made their move.
While I'm pretty certain that the principal reason the selection procedure was opened up was to cover the board's collective ass if the new man turned out to be as ineffective as poor Johnno, I think another reason was that they couldn't settle on an agreed candidate.
So justice has been done and James has landed the job, probably with the backing of some of the board members. I'd imagine that if Waldron was backing Lyons, Feeney would have been behind Horan but that's the way business is done at that level.
Anyway, democracy won out tonight, maybe because our CB had wanted it to be so from the start or because it couldn't agree on  how to best manipulate it to their advantage.
BTW; spare a thought for Tommy and Tony. I wish them both the very best.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

rosnarun

Quote from: moysider on September 29, 2010, 09:52:15 PM
Quote from: Jinxy on September 29, 2010, 09:46:43 PM
Ye are all more than welcome to join the Official Meath manager thread.

Yawn. Only 6 pages. Where would the likes of me be without intrigue and conspiracy?
you could make it up again

Confirmed  in mayo we have the world worst conspirators
the only man with out a conspiracy got the job
or was this the ultimate fifth(castlebar telegraph) columnist conspiracy
or just a case  of every one we don't like supporters being blackguards   

Good luck james by christ youll need it
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

rosnarun

Expectations are the same as ever
Win an all Ireland ot there are Questions to answer

if you dont agree tell me when was the last time you were satisfied with the way Mayo exited the championship
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere