Started by Barney, June 06, 2010, 09:39:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Who would you like to see as Mayo Manager in 2010

James Horan
Tommy Lyons
Anthony McGarry
John Maughan

Mike Sheehy

I heard the Mayo County board were involved in JFK's assassination.

muppet

MWWSI 2017

ross4life

Quote from: Mike Sheehy on September 28, 2010, 07:51:30 PM
I heard the Mayo County board were involved in JFK's assassination.

Nope were involved in Roswell & plenty of strange beings seen in Mayo since
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

saffronandblue

I know there is a big push on by people on the forum to keep Lyons out but why such a big rush to James Horan??????

He is still very much an unproven manager, had Shrule managed to take their chances, not too many would be singing his praise.  If Mayo were to stop playing as much as Ballintubber did the last day we would be beaten out the gate..............very worrying.  Liked him as a player and he seems to be a decent bloke by the sounds of things.  Having James Nallen as one of his selectors would be a positive.

Surely there is a better candidate out there with a proven record that we could have some confidence in.  Who ever it is, lets just hope the good times are on the way.......

Farrandeelin

Perhaps he is, but he would be a fresh, modern manager. One what's needed in the game today for the next few years. And I hope if he gets it that if we don't do well in one year that people give him the same amount of time that they gave O'Mahony.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

moysider

Quote from: saffronandblue on September 28, 2010, 09:11:37 PM
I know there is a big push on by people on the forum to keep Lyons out but why such a big rush to James Horan??????

He is still very much an unproven manager, had Shrule managed to take their chances, not too many would be singing his praise.  If Mayo were to stop playing as much as Ballintubber did the last day we would be beaten out the gate..............very worrying.  Liked him as a player and he seems to be a decent bloke by the sounds of things.  Having James Nallen as one of his selectors would be a positive.

Surely there is a better candidate out there with a proven record that we could have some confidence in.  Who ever it is, lets just hope the good times are on the way.......

Since the whole process began there has been no 'better candidate with a proven record'. I can't even think of one that would be available to us. Can you?
I wouldn't put much stock in Ballintubber s second half the last day. He can only get a performance out of what he has and they have come a ling way. Winning was the only important thing. They have been criticised as being a bit defensive here before but that is a plus in his favour anyway. Better a manager that puts out a realistic gameplan than a chancer that puts out a gungho and gets leveled.
The reality is that he would be a savior at this stage because it s either him or Lyons. Even if the grassroots are bothered enough it looks like there isn't the time or the urgency among the clubs to hold meetings and instruct delegates as regards what the majority want. Looks like the club delegates will be left to their own devices with maybe a select few whispering in their ear. The system is feudal rather than democratic, and that will work in favour of the board executive again. Ordinary club members really don't have a say. Nor it seems do the players through their delegate even though they are also club members. I remember in 92 a player being told to f**k off and mind his own business when he inquired as to how the delegate intended to vote over some issue around the time of the car pushing controversy. If one or two people can tell me they know of clubs that invited their members to debate the management thing last few nights I ll wind my neck in as regards the lack of democracy. If this debate hasn't taken place by tonight its too late.
I would urge likes of Horan and McGarry to stay clear of any invitation to join up with Lyons team. Cause when that ship goes down, as it surely will, they ll go down with it.

saffronandblue

According to Mayo reporter on Radio 1 this evening at 7, Horan is in pole position and he claimed he heard it from people in the know.  Herad the interview and would not fancy the 1/10 odds on Lyons.

Spot on as normal Moysider with your last post.

muppet

Imagine if Tommy was appointed and then he won oh say the Sam Maguire. This thread would make great reading.
MWWSI 2017

moysider

IolarCoisCuain

Quote from: muppet on September 28, 2010, 10:46:50 PM
Imagine if Tommy was appointed and then he won oh say the Sam Maguire. This thread would make great reading.

Feel free to rub it in when it happens. I won't mind.

muppet

Quote from: IolarCoisCuain on September 28, 2010, 11:53:12 PM
Quote from: muppet on September 28, 2010, 10:46:50 PM

Feel free to rub it in when it happens. I won't mind.

Don't get me wrong, I'd prefer James. But I think some people are very harsh on Lyons on this thread.
MWWSI 2017

rosnarun

* the overseeing of the development of McHale Park with its design flaws, planning problems and financial noose around the neck of our clubs.

would this  not have have been the responsibility of the county sECretary . Was Hi nit make Fulltime on the basis that no one else could handle such an intricate Project
(or know where the bodies are buried)
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Lar Naparka

I've just received word that we should have white smoke this evening.
The selection committee finished their interviews last night and are expected to present their recommendation to the CB executive this evening at 8pm at McHale Park and then to a meeting of the clubs' delegates at 9pm. A press meeting is scheduled afterwards.
So that should bring the fun to an end.
My money is on Horan. I've been assured he did well at his interview – I know nothing about the others but James is in with a real chance.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Barney

I cannot see the County Board changing course now.

It will be Tommy Lyons with Denis Kearney and Declan Ronaldson.