Started by Barney, June 06, 2010, 09:39:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Who would you like to see as Mayo Manager in 2010

James Horan
Tommy Lyons
Anthony McGarry
John Maughan

Tubberman

The Mayo News is reporting that there are 4 candidates remaining in the race - John Maughan, James Horan, Tommy Lyons and Anthony McGarry.
An inverview committee will be selected at tonight's co board meeting, and they will interview each of the candidates later with week, with the appointment to be completed early next week.

At least it's nearly over....
The odds with Stagg betting are:
Maughan 4/6
Horan 6/4
Lyons 3/1
McGarry 14/1

http://www.mayonews.ie/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=10856:interview-to-decide-mayo-managers-job-&catid=14&Itemid=100008

Edit - I've just seen that The Connaught Telegraph reckon Lyons is the favourite, "His appointment would be warmly welcomed by club delegates" and "An announcement on the appointment is imminent and it will be a surprise if Lyons fails to secure the job."   :o :'(

The Connaught wouldn't have the most reliable track record, so hopefully they're wide of the mark here.
http://www.con-telegraph.ie/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=1315:mayo-prepare-to-enter-lyons-den&catid=45:latest-news&Itemid=48
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Hardy

DuffleKing

Quote from: Hardy on September 21, 2010, 12:44:27 PM
I hope it works out for you lads and Tommy gets the gig.

I'd presume your thinking is that at least there'd be absolutely no way he could then get the meath gig if he does...

JMohan

Quote from: Barney on September 21, 2010, 08:16:05 AM
Noel Connelly - no substance. Just bluff and bluster in the dressing room.

John Maughan - been there and failed. County Board man and will not learn from his mistakes.

James Horan - untested, cannot take the risk. Does he have it anyhow?

Tommy Lyons - bullsh**er

Denis Kearney - yes he has done well with clubs but not good enough for us.

Anthony McGarry - nah, done nothing. Strike him off the list.

Micko - an old mercenary.

Tommy Carr - failed everywhere he went.

Harsh but IMO a true summary of each

Lyons will get it

I hope he does too as, for the rest of us, it'll keep him off the Sunday Game 

joemamas

Hardy, I detect more than a little hint of sarcasim.  (I hope)

joemamas

Sadly the whole process has been a shambles and I think we are all sick of it at this stage and are likely to be underwhelmed by whatever decision is ultimately made. However I do think as supporters we have to get behind the new man and the team - give them a chance to make their mark, whatever our own reservations.

What is clear though is the anger amongst Mayo supporters, but like with problems in the country nobody is standing up and trying to do anything about it just giving out.

I think we all know that many candidates are not prepared to work with the current Board for one reason or another but look at the various people that have been mentioned for the job - they have all been widely criticised here. I would see the criticisms made by posters here something along the following lines:

Peter Forde - allegedly made derogatory remarks about Mayo when in Galway. Failed there. Only following Galway's bad road.

John Maughan - been there and failed. County Board man and will not learn from his mistakes.

Tommy Lyons - bullsh**er

I would have my concerns about some of the candidates but where nobody can come out and clearly say - this is the man/team to lead us forward - the Board are in the same position - nobody is going to be quite good enough so we just have to live with what is decided and see what happens from there.

Can anybody give a stirring defence for any of the candidates and say - Yes, he is the man we need - with an arguement that his backed by many. I don't think so and for those reasons at the end of the day Maughan is probably the man that will get it because he has been the most successful person in the role at the end of the day. We just have to hope that he is as motiviated as before. Even with reservations about him we will be in a better place that under the last management but whether we will achieve our potential (a regular Quarter Final team with occasional semi-final chances) has to be seen.

Agree with most of the above, would still give it to Horan, no baggage is huge.

However, as I stated on an earlier post, do not underestimate the impact of the lack of finances on the decision making process.

Are we surprised, with what has happened to the "interview" process.

Tubberman

Quote from: JMohan on September 21, 2010, 01:16:01 PM

Tommy Lyons - bullsh**er

Lyons will get it

Fair enough, but do you know enough about the likes of Connelly, Horan, Kearney and McGarry to be deciding that's a true summary of each?

the Deel Rover

Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

Barney

To clarify again - what I have said about the candidates is the negative remarks that have been put on the Board by various posters - not necessarily my own views.

For instance I know absolutely nothing about the management abilities of Kearney and McGarry. I don't even remember Denis Kearney playing for Mayo.

The point I am trying to make is that we all criticise the Board but every name that has been mentioned has been shot down by most, not necessarily with constructive comment, and yet we are giving out about the people that are likely to get teh job. In that way I think their job is impossible.

Hardy

Quote from: joemamas on September 21, 2010, 01:21:05 PM

Hardy, I detect more than a little hint of sarcasim.  (I hope)

Just a bit of chain-yanking. I wouldn't be surprised if he gets it, though. I'd say he interviews well.

JMohan

Quote from: Tubberman on September 21, 2010, 01:41:31 PM
Quote from: JMohan on September 21, 2010, 01:16:01 PM

Tommy Lyons - bullsh**er

Lyons will get it

Fair enough, but do you know enough about the likes of Connelly, Horan, Kearney and McGarry to be deciding that's a true summary of each?
The first two yes and the following two, not personally, but from what've been told probably close enough.
But let's be serious for a second ... they're not in with a real chance at all.

Lyons will most likely get it once it comes down to an interview and he spoofs at them for an hour and blinds them with BS.

RedandGreenSniper

Quote from: Tubberman on September 21, 2010, 12:42:02 PM
The Mayo News is reporting that there are 4 candidates remaining in the race - John Maughan, James Horan, Tommy Lyons and Anthony McGarry.
An inverview committee will be selected at tonight's co board meeting, and they will interview each of the candidates later with week, with the appointment to be completed early next week.

At least it's nearly over....
The odds with Stagg betting are:
Maughan 4/6
Horan 6/4
Lyons 3/1
McGarry 14/1

http://www.mayonews.ie/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=10856:interview-to-decide-mayo-managers-job-&catid=14&Itemid=100008

Edit - I've just seen that The Connaught Telegraph reckon Lyons is the favourite, "His appointment would be warmly welcomed by club delegates" and "An announcement on the appointment is imminent and it will be a surprise if Lyons fails to secure the job."   :o :'(

The Connaught wouldn't have the most reliable track record, so hopefully they're wide of the mark here.
http://www.con-telegraph.ie/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=1315:mayo-prepare-to-enter-lyons-den&catid=45:latest-news&Itemid=48

Thankfully the Connaught are adept at making it up as they go along. I wouldn't be thinking Lyons will get the job, yet. Believe me when i say this lads, anyone could get it. Assuming that there is a concerted push at board level for a certain candidate is assuming there is a wherewithal across the county board that isn't there. I reckon it will be Horan or Maughan - because they're from inside the county. But have flaws, both have good points. Barney is 100 per cent right, there is no perfect candidate.
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

macdanger2

Anybody know why the others dropped out?? Particularly Kearney?

At this stage, I'd go for:

1. Horan
2. McGarry
3. Maughan (has the best credentials but has been there before; I'd prefer to take a punt on a new man)
4. Lyons

I agree though, the selection process is a shambles - you apply and then they pick their preferred candidates and then there's a 2nd round interview........shows a complete lack of respect for those who applied.

Mayo4Sam

I'd like to see Horan, knows the club game and will likely centre the team around Dillon, our best player.
I wouldn't mind seeing Maughan, he has done a good job twice before.

On a completely unsubstantiated story, my boss was talking to Tommy Lyons son at a do last sat week and he reckoned Maughan would be offered the job, turn it down and Tommy would then be offered it and delighted to take it.
(Note: completely based on hearsay from a third source!)
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

Tubberman

QuoteOn a completely unsubstantiated story, my boss was talking to Tommy Lyons son at a do last sat week and he reckoned Maughan would be offered the job, turn it down and Tommy would hen be offered it and delighted to take it.
(Note: completely based on hearsay from a third source!)

Sounds kinda bullshitty doesn't it? Why would Maughan allow his name go forward, meet with the CB, do the interview (presumably), only to turn it down when the job is offered to him!?