Started by Barney, June 06, 2010, 09:39:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Who would you like to see as Mayo Manager in 2010

James Horan
Tommy Lyons
Anthony McGarry
John Maughan

JMohan

Billy Morgan will the next one you'll have to add now he's in the Galway race ....

Farrandeelin

Quote from: JMohan on September 10, 2010, 07:25:45 AM
Billy Morgan will the next one you'll have to add now he's in the Galway race ....

Are you telling US posers that or the County Board?
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Tubberman

Interesting to see John Maughan's column in The Mayo Advertiser where he says he was chatting to Banty McEneaney, and Banty reckoned he would have gone for the Mayo job if he lived closer to Mayo.
As Maughan hinted though, I'd say the likes of Feeney would have done their best to scupper that one, due to the cavalcade of a backroom team Banty would bring  :D

http://www.advertiser.ie/mayo/article/30816
QuoteAfter leaving Newry, I came down to Carrickmacross where I called on Seamus 'Banty' McEnaney. As you are probably aware, he had made his decision a few days earlier to stand down as Monaghan manager after six years in charge. We had an interesting conversation about his time in charge of the team, and I discovered that the 'bar' as regards preparation is continuously being raised. Banty had two coaches working with the team for the past year, with a plethora of masseurs, physios, etc (this kind of information would be music to the ears of the Mayo County treasurer). After an hour in his company, I discovered that his love of the game has in no way diminished. In fact his one regret was that he didn't live a bit closer to Mayo, as he would have expressed an interest in the job.

No shortage of interest in managing our team it would seem!
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Farrandeelin

From hoganstand.

http://www.hoganstand.com/Mayo/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=135235

Former Mayo senior football manager Liam O'Neill feels that the appointment of a director of football in the county would be hugely beneficial to the Connacht side.

O'Neill, who was in charge of the Mayo seniors for four years during the eighties now lives in San Diego California and works as a GAA coach out there.

He believes that the work is been done at underage level, but that the problem lies after this when transforming the minor stars into senior stars.

"It's not unusual to have players on the under-16 team cycle through at least six managers up to the time they finish at under-21 level. During this formative period they are subjected to mixed messages on all levels, especially in tactics and execution in the match setting, leading to confusion on the part of the young players," said O'Neill.

"With no where to go for advice, their careers are in the hands of the next manager, voted in, leading to even further confusion. I believe a relatively quick way to streamline player development is to get everyone on the same well designed plan, communicating and implementing a strategic, common programme.

"This programme must be implemented and managed by a full time director of coaching and that person must be employed independent of the county board."

JMohan

Quote from: Farrandeelin on September 10, 2010, 09:00:14 AM

I'm sure the bookies will add him to the running soon, so I was saying you'll have to add him to the list at the top of the thread

Farrandeelin

Quote from: JMohan on September 10, 2010, 10:02:21 AM
Quote from: Farrandeelin on September 10, 2010, 09:00:14 AM

I'm sure the bookies will add him to the running soon, so I was saying you'll have to add him to the list at the top of the thread

Sorry JMohan, I'm just getting fed up with all the bloody nominees and nothing apparently (apart from a questionaire) being done about it as everyone else is laughing their socks at us.

mannix

yup.
can you imagine kerry or tyrone having a dozen names linked to the job and nobody knowing whats going on?

we are good for a laugh, unfortunately we are always good for a laugh.

GAA_Punter

Its three horse race , Maughan, Horan & Mcgarry

Its really Maughan's to lose 

mannix

did i read somewhere that mcgarry had not been contacted by the county board?  he must be wondering whats going on if thats the case. It would be good to see JM back again, he is bound to have some better ideas on what not to do. James Horan would be another that you could imagine players would listen to,younger fella with fresher ideas and all that.For me either of them would be ok.

irunthev

Quote from: mannix on September 10, 2010, 02:10:53 PM
yup.
can you imagine kerry or tyrone having a dozen names linked to the job and nobody knowing whats going on?

we are good for a laugh, unfortunately we are always good for a laugh.

In fairness the run up to Mickey Harte's appointment was pretty diabolical too, so don't take the process as an indicator of what may be its outcome.
Tyrone and the Tyrone CB were something of a laughing stock when Harte's name was announced, particularly given the calibre of the incumbent and also those who were also interested.
CB have a wonderful knack of making pigs ears out of silk purses!!!! It's their thing.

ross4life

Quote from: macdanger2 on September 10, 2010, 12:35:12 AM

Can any of the Rossies (I'm fairly sure this is the first thread most of ye check ;)) give us an idea of what people think of Kearney in Castlerea and beyond??

He's doing a damn good job at Castlerea seems to bring out the best in players for a club team he has them well drilled & organised something that Mayo badly need, he certainly would be worth a try but a huge step up for him

Quote from: Peter Solan the Great on September 09, 2010, 04:10:48 PM
Quote from: muppet on September 09, 2010, 03:58:16 PM
Quote from: Peter Solan the Great on September 09, 2010, 03:51:24 PM
Quote from: handballer09 on September 09, 2010, 03:29:52 PM

Would you and your lot ever fook off. What a shower of dic kheads, for fear anyone else would join your little party. Your the biggest shower of w ankers i have ever come across good luck.

& you wonder why us rossies come on here  :D
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

Rossfan

Quote from: ross4life on September 10, 2010, 04:35:47 PM
Quote from: macdanger2 on September 10, 2010, 12:35:12 AM

Can any of the Rossies (I'm fairly sure this is the first thread most of ye check ;)) give us an idea of what people think of Kearney in Castlerea and beyond??

He's doing a damn good job at Castlerea seems to bring out the best in players for a club team he has them well drilled & organised something that Mayo badly need, he certainly would be worth a try but a huge step up for him

Mind you he's done it by having them play a lot of anti football  :(
Hopefully the men from the Orchard will put an end to them on unday .....but with Brianeen gone to Oz I don't expect they will.
As for the Rhubarbs manager hunt ...... it certainly uts our boloxology in 2005 in the hapenny place  ;D ;D
An old comrades act of Maughtan and Carr is the obvious solution  :D
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

rosnarun

Peter solan
don't heed the feckers . your the only one who actually seems to have an inside track unlike a lot of the bullying blowhards that repeat their opinion here every few hours.
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

spectator

Quote from: Rossfan on September 10, 2010, 07:34:56 PM
As for the Rhubarbs manager hunt ...... it certainly uts our boloxology in 2005 in the hapenny place  ;D ;D

JM's candidature only become known late on for that one, which fairly p*ssed off the existing bona-fide candidates who'd gone through the procedures, at the time ...

He's a manager about whom Mayo players, journos & supporters seemed to have very diverse opinions following his previous stints ... it certainly won't be boring if he gets the nod again ;)

http://archives.tcm.ie/westernpeople/2005/08/24/story26778.asp

http://archives.tcm.ie/westernpeople/2005/08/16/ [See text below 'Other News']

Mac2

Think people are being unfair in portraying Lyons as a fool, he won a club All-Ireland, a Leinster title & came within the width of a post of beating Armagh. A lot of this seems to be based on his Sunday Game contributions, it thats to be the bar then lets give it to Carr he talks a great game. I'd have Lyons anyday ahead of Carr or Maughan. It's a pity the scrutiny being applied now by Sean Rice n co to the likes of Micko wasn't used 4 years ago.