Previous topic - Next topic

Who would you like to see as Mayo Manager in 2010

James Horan
Tommy Lyons
Anthony McGarry
John Maughan

moysider

Quote from: mannix on September 08, 2010, 09:23:28 PM
he did actually say that. horan would probably have the time since he lives in Mayo. I mean if mick o dwyer was considered and he lives 4 or 5 hours away then a fella 30 odd years younger surely could find time. Mind you the club he is managing may not be so crazy about the development.

I believe you Mannix that he said that. Not doubting you, just must have missed it at the time. Just as well cause I d have broken something around the house. That s him finished anyway. Maybe Galway will have him back. He did as well as the 2 since and cost a lot less than the last fella - and the football played was similar.

parkoncrokie

Quote from: moysider on September 08, 2010, 09:29:14 PM
he did actually say that. horan would probably have the time since he lives in Mayo. I mean if mick o dwyer was considered and he lives 4 or 5 hours away then a fella 30 odd years younger surely could find time. Mind you the club he is managing may not be so crazy about the development.

I believe you Mannix that he said that. Not doubting you, just must have missed it at the time. Just as well cause I d have broken something around the house. That s him finished anyway. Maybe Galway will have him back. He did as well as the 2 since and cost a lot less than the last fella - and the football played was similar.
I remember him saying that as well

Lar Naparka

I think his bitterness, in part anyway, is down to the fact that he felt he was badly treated by the CB when he showed an interest in the Mayo manager's job and that his application wasn't taken seriously. That's what a mutual friend told me anyway.

The oul' memory has gone a bit flaky on me but I think it was the time Maughan stood down in 2004 and before Ford took up the Galway job. 
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

spuds

Quote from: Lar Naparka on September 08, 2010, 10:29:37 PM

I think his bitterness, in part anyway, is down to the fact that he felt he was badly treated by the CB when he showed an interest in the Mayo manager's job and that his application wasn't taken seriously. That's what a mutual friend told me anyway.

The oul' memory has gone a bit flaky on me but I think it was the time Maughan stood down in 2004 and before Ford took up the Galway job.

IIRC he was annoyed that Co board would not guarantee the new manager to come from the lads being interviewed.
"As I get older I notice the years less and the seasons more."
John Hubbard

moysider

Quote from: Lar Naparka on September 08, 2010, 10:29:37 PM

He was also team captain at the time of the player's revolt in '92. No way would that be forgotten or forgiven. In fairness to the man I remember an interview he did a few years ago where he did not appear comfortable with what had happened at the time and the distress/ embarrassment they caused to a decent man doing his best in his first year in the job. By comparison more recent managers have got away with murder. That coup achieved nothing I can put a finger on except inspire a few good cartoons in the press. Some of the conspirators had their chances of glory and blew it previous few years under other management. Later too they were involved in failure.

mayo51

you are right lar. Your memory  is a bit dodgy.when maughan stepped down in 1999 Ford was the fav to get the job but when the time came for his interview  he refused to go as he had  found out that pat holmes already had the job.I think that certain county board members still held a grudge against him over the brian mcdonald affair.Peter fords first year in charge of galway was 2005 and they won a connacht final and a u 21 all ireland.I would have always liked to see him given a chance to manage mayo as he always struck me as a straight forward guy and one who knew his football inside and out.

moysider

Quote from: mayo51 on September 08, 2010, 11:03:49 PM
you are right lar. Your memory  is a bit dodgy.when maughan stepped down in 1999 Ford was the fav to get the job but when the time came for his interview  he refused to go as he had  found out that pat holmes already had the job.I think that certain county board members still held a grudge against him over the brian mcdonald affair.Peter fords first year in charge of galway was 2005 and they won a connacht final and a u 21 all ireland.I would have always liked to see him given a chance to manage mayo as he always struck me as a straight forward guy and one who knew his football inside and out.

Correct, he is a straightforward guy. But I have reservations about how he accepted some decisions as Maughan's  No2 96-99. I don't doubt he knows the game inside - out. But if he does,  he can not have been happy with some big calls there. In fact I know he wasn't. Yet he showed great loyalty to JM and went along with a few howler calls. Yet as team captain in 92 he was part of a coup that shafted their manager and made the county a laughing stock. Not much loyalty there. Ironically Ford lost his place on the team as well - so much for his judgment, he ended his own career. The manager was initially the laugh but as events transpired over the following few years it was the players and Mayo football that became the joke.
I don't see any reason to regret Ford being not on the shortlist. Cool and straightforward does not make up for the poor decisions he made in the past.

IolarCoisCuain

Quote from: moysider on September 08, 2010, 11:28:33 PM

Correct, he is a straightforward guy. But I have reservations about how he accepted some decisions as Maughan's  No2 96-99. I don't doubt he knows the game inside - out. But if he does,  he can not have been happy with some big calls there. In fact I know he wasn't. Yet he showed great loyalty to JM and went along with a few howler calls. Yet as team captain in 92 he was part of a coup that shafted their manager and made the county a laughing stock. Not much loyalty there. Ironically Ford lost his place on the team as well - so much for his judgment, he ended his own career. The manager was initially the laugh but as events transpired over the following few years it was the players and Mayo football that became the joke.
I don't see any reason to regret Ford being not on the shortlist. Cool and straightforward does not make up for the poor decisions he made in the past.

We all have pasts Moysider. And none of us can go back and change them. We can only ever look ahead.

I remember that interview that Ford did when he regretted the 1992 mutiny. But I remember the Offaly hurlers mutinied against Babs and won an All-Ireland after. Cork, I believe, currently mutiny every forty days. I don't think mutinies, as such, are the problem.

I remember thinking at the time of the Mayo mutiny - and I was a younger man then, of course, age makes cowards of us all - that at least they cared. Mayo's performance in that semi against Donegal had been shocking. Something had to be done and the mutineers took their shot. We often talk about absence of leaders in the current Mayo team. The mutineers were leaders, whatever else they were. I have no problem with Ford's time as Fletcher Christian.

Don't care for his south of the border remark. I don't remember it being said but I care little for it. But again, I wouldn't hold it against him. Talk is cheap, really, at the end of the day.

I could live with the appointment of any of the original five nominees. There are arguments to be made for them all. The appointment of either Tommy would be very, very hard to deal with. But the groundswell on this board is for Horan so please God the Board will realise that he is now the People's Champion, hand him the orb and sceptre, and wish him all the best.

Lar Naparka

Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

moysider

Quote from: IolarCoisCuain on September 09, 2010, 12:22:05 AM
Quote from: moysider on September 08, 2010, 11:28:33 PM

We all have pasts Moysider. And none of us can go back and change them. We can only ever look ahead.

I remember that interview that Ford did when he regretted the 1992 mutiny. But I remember the Offaly hurlers mutinied against Babs and won an All-Ireland after. Cork, I believe, currently mutiny every forty days. I don't think mutinies, as such, are the problem.

I remember thinking at the time of the Mayo mutiny - and I was a younger man then, of course, age makes cowards of us all - that at least they cared. Mayo's performance in that semi against Donegal had been shocking. Something had to be done and the mutineers took their shot. We often talk about absence of leaders in the current Mayo team. The mutineers were leaders, whatever else they were. I have no problem with Ford's time as Fletcher Christian.

Don't care for his south of the border remark. I don't remember it being said but I care little for it. But again, I wouldn't hold it against him. Talk is cheap, really, at the end of the day.

I could live with the appointment of any of the original five nominees. There are arguments to be made for them all. The appointment of either Tommy would be very, very hard to deal with. But the groundswell on this board is for Horan so please God the Board will realise that he is now the People's Champion, hand him the orb and sceptre, and wish him all the best.

I'm with you on most of that. But the stuff I've highlighted.
If you re looking for a managerial job a Chappaquiddick in the past is going to come back to haunt you.That s the way it goes.
  Offaly went on and made something of their mutiny. With a manager, John Bond, that I ve haven't heard of since. We didn't. You would also have to ask ( if they cared so much) why the munity didn't happen earlier in 90/91 ( when these guys could have shown more balls). Those were equally  shocking displays when we stalled in the province and we were doing nothing in the league either.Maybe it is because we only notice when things go belly up in Croke Park.  Remember McDonald at least won a Connacht title in 92. Why then? In his first year? To their eternal discredit the the players brought up the car pushing exercise ( which didn't happen too often). That was the time Boylan had lads running up the Hill of Tara, cycling push bikes and rowing on the canal as training. But that was ok because Meath were winning things.
  Johnno had left a bit of a mess which he has done twice since also. But those senior players did nothing in 90/91. McDonald and M&M have been the victims of different mutinies. The real targets have never been hit.

moysider

Quote from: Lar Naparka on September 09, 2010, 12:33:23 AM
All very well put, Iolar. Maithiú!

Hmmm. An alliance between Iolar and lar is a very challenging development.

AbbeySider

Quote from: moysider on September 08, 2010, 09:25:13 PM
Quote from: AbbeySider on September 08, 2010, 09:05:51 PM
Quote from: moysider on September 08, 2010, 12:16:12 AM
Quote from: AbbeySider on September 07, 2010, 11:29:01 PM
1. Horan

<distant> 2. Maughan

For what its worth, IMO Horan has the most by far to bring to the table.
I know he wouldnt leave a stone unturned in any aspect of the job. Im not sure who he would have with him, but my guess would be he would be looking at some of the best as regards a backroom team as he demands such high standards.

Resorting back to Maughan would be a step backwards although to his credit he almost got us over the line and is responsible for bringing on football in the county, and indeed the game at national level. But perhaps he has had his time.

That s what bothers me. Not about Horan, mind you. After what the last guy promised as cutting edge and then ..... well I dunno. I m sure Horan s cop is better and he has somebody in mind with the science to do the physical stuff. The thing is in Mayo, the best - well those in mainstream football are basically club lads doin a job. He ll have to look elsewhere because sweat and spit wont do any more. As importantly - and maybe more importantly - he has to know that he is the main man and is the most important voice in these players head s. The flavour of the month guest speakers and sport  psychos can not do the work of the manager/coach. They need short shift.

Im not sure did you fully get my point on that one Moy. Firstly I dont think it would be fair to put JOMs appointments of the likes of Kielty with whoever Horan has in mind however I would guess that Horan would be looking for a strong team and probably demand the best and latest techniques and methods and would be open to learn from professional sports from AFL to rugby. In that respect and every other he would leave no stone unturned to find an edge. I have often said that Maughan had that edge in the mid 90's and was one of the first to introduce new training methods and gym work that gave us that edge in the mid 90's. Unfortunately IMO northern teams first matched and then surpassed us and munster teams were soon to follow and we were left behind. What im trying to get across is that Horan would be looking for such and is ambitious enough to bring things to a new level in Mayo.

Secondly Horan is a strong enough character and personality to be the main man and is a born leader so there would be no question about who the boss would be in anyone's mind.

Also from experience, we had the likes of Joe Kernan for talks as well as Kerian Shannon on several occasions for sports psycho sessions as well as individual sessions and from talking to guys and seeing the difference id be a huge advocate of it.

I would be very positive about Horan anyway but it is reassuring to hear that kind of stuff from somebody that knows him well. It would be great if the new manager actually gave us a top physical trainer rather than talk about cutting edge and and then present us with a wooden sword.
I don t have a problem with guest speakers and sports psychologists as such. But at the end of the day the players have to perform for the manager. He s the main man for getting into their heads.

Just to finish that point Moy, I agree that the manager must be the guy who players respect, listen to and take heed of and follow through the wall if thats what it takes; and Horan would command that I reckon.

What a sports psycho session would do is teach players how to handle nerves, how to get the head right immediately if things go wrong in a game, help with focus before and during games and loads of other things. All that stuff could take a player years to learn on the pitch but so much can be taken from such sessions they can be invaluable IMO.

<BTW im not suggesting that I know of Horan having any of the kind lined up but such was the conversation I felt I needed to answer that one on guest speakers and sports psychologists ;)>

moysider

Quote from: AbbeySider on September 09, 2010, 01:15:39 AM
Quote from: moysider on September 08, 2010, 09:25:13 PM
Quote from: AbbeySider on September 08, 2010, 09:05:51 PM
Quote from: moysider on September 08, 2010, 12:16:12 AM
Quote from: AbbeySider on September 07, 2010, 11:29:01 PM
1. Horan

<distant> 2. Maughan

For what its worth, IMO Horan has the most by far to bring to the table.
I know he wouldnt leave a stone unturned in any aspect of the job. Im not sure who he would have with him, but my guess would be he would be looking at some of the best as regards a backroom team as he demands such high standards.

Resorting back to Maughan would be a step backwards although to his credit he almost got us over the line and is responsible for bringing on football in the county, and indeed the game at national level. But perhaps he has had his time.

That s what bothers me. Not about Horan, mind you. After what the last guy promised as cutting edge and then ..... well I dunno. I m sure Horan s cop is better and he has somebody in mind with the science to do the physical stuff. The thing is in Mayo, the best - well those in mainstream football are basically club lads doin a job. He ll have to look elsewhere because sweat and spit wont do any more. As importantly - and maybe more importantly - he has to know that he is the main man and is the most important voice in these players head s. The flavour of the month guest speakers and sport  psychos can not do the work of the manager/coach. They need short shift.

Im not sure did you fully get my point on that one Moy. Firstly I dont think it would be fair to put JOMs appointments of the likes of Kielty with whoever Horan has in mind however I would guess that Horan would be looking for a strong team and probably demand the best and latest techniques and methods and would be open to learn from professional sports from AFL to rugby. In that respect and every other he would leave no stone unturned to find an edge. I have often said that Maughan had that edge in the mid 90's and was one of the first to introduce new training methods and gym work that gave us that edge in the mid 90's. Unfortunately IMO northern teams first matched and then surpassed us and munster teams were soon to follow and we were left behind. What im trying to get across is that Horan would be looking for such and is ambitious enough to bring things to a new level in Mayo.

Secondly Horan is a strong enough character and personality to be the main man and is a born leader so there would be no question about who the boss would be in anyone's mind.

Also from experience, we had the likes of Joe Kernan for talks as well as Kerian Shannon on several occasions for sports psycho sessions as well as individual sessions and from talking to guys and seeing the difference id be a huge advocate of it.

I would be very positive about Horan anyway but it is reassuring to hear that kind of stuff from somebody that knows him well. It would be great if the new manager actually gave us a top physical trainer rather than talk about cutting edge and and then present us with a wooden sword.
I don t have a problem with guest speakers and sports psychologists as such. But at the end of the day the players have to perform for the manager. He s the main man for getting into their heads.

Just to finish that point Moy, I agree that the manager must be the guy who players respect, listen to and take heed of and follow through the wall if thats what it takes; and Horan would command that I reckon.

What a sports psycho session would do is teach players how to handle nerves, how to get the head right immediately if things go wrong in a game, help with focus before and during games and loads of other things. All that stuff could take a player years to learn on the pitch but so much can be taken from such sessions they can be invaluable IMO.

Agree.

Tubberman

Looks like Sean Feeney wasn't one of the board members in favour of Micko anyway - he's ruled him out before the applications are in - he probably realises Micko hasn't a notion of filling out a questionnaire to become Mayo manager.
That's a positive bit of news in my book anyway.
If we could get a similar declaration on the Tommys I'd be a lot more confident about where we're headed (but I don't think anyone sees them as serious contendors anyway). 

QuoteMeanwhile, Mick O'Dwyer appears to be out of the running for the Mayo football manager's position but county secretary Seán Feeney was able to confirm "expressions of interest" from former Dublin and Offaly manager Tommy Lyons, another former Dublin manager, Tommy Carr, and the possible return of John Maughan for a third stint in the role. O'Dwyer is due to return to Wicklow.

The Mayo clubs have also nominated Anthony McGarry, James Horan and Denis Kearney although no interview process has been set up yet. Feeney expects a recommendation to be put before county delegates in October.

"We believe Mick O'Dwyer is out of the running but his name is still in there," said Feeney.

"We will be sending out a questionnaire this week for the candidates to fill in and an interview process will be set up from there. Yes, we have been inundated with expressions of interest from some respected names."

Lyons is a native of Mayo, Carr recently finished up a stint with Cavan, while Maughan's last inter-county position was with Roscommon.

"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Farrandeelin

Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.