Previous topic - Next topic

Who would you like to see as Mayo Manager in 2010

James Horan
Tommy Lyons
Anthony McGarry
John Maughan

moysider

Quote from: rosnarun on August 30, 2010, 10:30:00 PM
It amuses me the way people here with very little Knowledge of the day to day scene in mayo Bleat about how poor the structures are on on hand spend the rest of the time giving out about and attempt at building a structure such as the redevelopment of machale park (its a hell of a lot more than just a stand) or. long term planning for the team or the Balllyhaunis development. these are the essential parts that will keep mayo dining at the top table  . which we have been doing since the mid 90's more consistently than 75% of teams.  esp at under age level.
Sure there one or two pieces missing from the final puzzle but we just got to keep doing the right things.
Getting rid of O'mahony is a huge first step and long over due but the at worst the powers that be showed an loyalty the man did not desrve . not the worst trait in the world.

Araaggh quit being so argumentative Rosnarun just for the sake of it. You d swear that everybody was doing all of the above. e.g I m not complaining about structures but I don't care much for long term planning ( I mean the team building shite).You d also swear that you think you have more 'knowledge of the day to day scene' - what does that mean  - than others. I dont know what puzzle your on about but if there is one and a missing piece it is a  top manager. That is what this is about. But while we re at it you might be a man that knows what that McHale development cost?

ludermor

Quote from: moysider on August 30, 2010, 11:00:54 PM
It amuses me the way people here with very little Knowledge of the day to day scene in mayo Bleat about how poor the structures are on on hand spend the rest of the time giving out about and attempt at building a structure such as the redevelopment of machale park (its a hell of a lot more than just a stand) or. long term planning for the team or the Balllyhaunis development. these are the essential parts that will keep mayo dining at the top table  . which we have been doing since the mid 90's more consistently than 75% of teams.  esp at under age level.
Sure there one or two pieces missing from the final puzzle but we just got to keep doing the right things.
Getting rid of O'mahony is a huge first step and long over due but the at worst the powers that be showed an loyalty the man did not desrve . not the worst trait in the world.

Araaggh quit being so argumentative Rosnarun just for the sake of it. You d swear that everybody was doing all of the above. e.g I m not complaining about structures but I don't care much for long term planning ( I mean the team building shite).You d also swear that you think you have more 'knowledge of the day to day scene' - what does that mean  - than others. I dont know what puzzle your on about but if there is one and a missing piece it is a  top manager. That is what this is about. But while we re at it you might be a man that knows what that McHale development cost?
there is no way the builer put in the poles without the approval of the engineer and the architect, it would definetly have saved money but for the client , not the builder.

moysider

Quote from: ludermor on August 30, 2010, 11:31:25 PM
Quote from: moysider on August 30, 2010, 11:00:54 PM

there is no way the builer put in the poles without the approval of the engineer and the architect, it would definetly have saved money but for the client , not the builder.

Hmmm. Just that there was at least one very good price for the cantilever. That s why I m checking the price of the job they did.

rosnarun

in total about 16 million
no i dont have special info , ;ike most here im a mayo man in exile . not too farawy but exile all the same.
It pisses me off when i see the moaning about Structures ect when all they actually know/Care about the GAA in the county is the Senior team ans even then in an airy fairy way hoping for knight in shining armor to come in one swoop and Win the AIF without putting in the hard yards.
Life don't work like that
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

paddypastit

Quote from: rosnarun on August 30, 2010, 11:50:52 PM
no i dont have special info , ;ike most here im a mayo man in exile . not too farawy but exile all the same.
It pisses me off when i see the moaning about Structures ect when all they actually know/Care about the GAA in the county is the Senior team ans even then in an airy fairy way hoping for knight in shining armor to come in one swoop and Win the AIF without putting in the hard yards.
Folks I don't know anything about building but I was in McHale Park for the Connacht final having not been there since the last time Sligo played a Connacht final there in 2002. Granmted the new stand is wider and deeper and there's a bit of work done on other walls as well as that yoke on McHale Rd that all the fusss was (is?) about but for all yet have after... €16m - and folk give out about banks and NAMA. That is just unreal and totally and utterly unjustifiable for any provincial ground at any time. I'm at a loss for words - I'm sure there is some learned quote out there somewhere about false pride... oif I was that learned.
come disagree with me on http://gushtystuppencehapenny.wordpress.com/ and spread the word

moysider

Agree. But some of us in here do put in hard yards and have done so for years. Then we see the elect piss it all away like happened last 4 years.

16 million. Right. There was a price for the cantilever for @4 million less. The ******* is a Senior Quantity S in a company that priced it less than 16k as well and as far as he can recollect ( its his game so...) The best price was from a firm called ****** at @12m. Too cheap? Well not our problem if the firm got their figures wrong or didn't make much money. Why should we pay more for a local job if a better job could have been done for a lot less? Because the industry is a bit rotten everywhere and in a few countries the link between construction and football is a bit iffy doesn't mean we should turn a blind eye.

Instead of this review or audit or whatever has already taken place I would like to see a review of the McHale Park development. Some terms of reference?

Why now and why on that site?

Were the plans that were put out to tender the plans that were built?

If more competitive prices for a cantilever stand were set aside for a dumbed down version with poles, costing millions more, why was that done?

In response to Ludermore and the thing about the builder and Architect and Engineer. I m sure the whole project was approved by an engineer but I doubt any architect would like to be associated with it. Harsh I know but we ve ended up with an awful burden. A terrible legacy left by men that wanted to make their mark but got it wrong should have left it to others. There are flaws that will take some sorting even if a couple are aesthetic.

The poles.

Inadequate toilets ( think a few portaloos at a busy concert) and shop.

Lights that were not approved by planning.

A watchtower that looks like it s out of a bad psp game.

I think an independent review needs to be done on this. I cant see club officials even imagine about asking cash strapped members to just stump up for this. I know club officers who are going to refuse to sell cb tickets themselves or - as happens smaller clubs - ask players to sell them to folk at work. At E100 a pop. These guys are in cloud cuckoo land. After Sligo and Longford this year Mayo is a commodity that cannot be shifted. Let Waldron and the other execs go and try to sell their cb tickets at their local marts next week ( after all a lot of Mayo football people are rurals). They ll be asking for his profit on 1 animal for a years work. Lets see what reaction they ll get.

Barney

So Micko is leading Wicklow in a merry dance. They should tell him that they will be finding something else.

The timetable in Mayo is a County Board Executive meeting tonight, with a full County Board meeting next Monday. Is this the reason Micko wants ten days. Are efforts underway to attempt to have Micko nominated next week? The ten days would indicate that if he is not he may look elsewhere?

By Colm Keys

Tuesday August 31 2010

Mick O'Dwyer has deferred making a decision on a possible return to Wicklow for another 10 days.

But the smart money is on the most celebrated manager in the game declining an invitation to reverse the decision he made in the immediate aftermath of the qualifier defeat to Cavan.

A Wicklow County Board meeting last night had been filled with some expectation that O'Dwyer's reign in Wicklow would extend into a fifth year.

But chairman Andy O'Brien declared that O'Dwyer had sought another 10 days to make his mind up whether or not he would continue. O'Brien revealed that Wicklow officials had met the Kerry man twice in recent weeks and were hopeful that he would continue.

O'Dwyer has been linked with the Mayo vacancy, where he is one of five nominees and has support form at least one high-ranking board officer as well as supporters club officials in Dublin.

The departure of Mickey Ned O'Sullivan as manager has inevitably established a potential link with Limerick.

Wicklow delegates are prepared to wait as long as it takes but have given clearance for executive members to make alternative plans if O'Dwyer sticks by his original intention.

Barney

No doubt the push is on and promises will be made to the clubs as to the burden that will be lifted off them if Micko is put in charge. The Mayo News continue to be against it. I think Sean Rice is often off the mark but like his article today:

QuoteO'Dwyer is not the answer

Sean Rice

THE uncanny prediction in the pages of The Mayo News last week was spot on.
The celebrity syndrome has once more surfaced as Mayo GAA officials get down to selecting someone to guide the fortunes of Mayo football for the next few years.
Mick O'Dwyer it seems is the main target of a certain section of the county executive. And the fact that his name has been ringing out on national radio as a hot contender for the position would seem to indicate that the Kerryman is the choice of the majority.
Some members of the board have already been in touch with O'Dwyer. He admitted as much on radio, adding that one of his concerns was the long journey from Waterville to Castlebar three or four times a week for training purposes.
It is not certain who approached the Kerryman or with whose authority. But it was scarcely a vote of confidence in the contenders officially before the board for consideration.
O'Dwyer was not nominated. And the image of the board was not enhanced, nor the interest of football well served, in virtually dismissing the applications of those already nominated before approaching Mick O'Dwyer. Men who, rightly or wrongly, believe in their own ability to lead Mayo into a new era deserve better.
And what of the costs involved? If Joe Kernan's one-year reign stung Galway for the best part of €200,000  – and may cost the chairman his post after only one year in office  – what effect will O'Dwyer's appointment have on the coffers of Mayo GAA Board already struggling to meet the €10m repayments for renovations to McHale Park?
It stretches the imagination to believe that O'Dwyer is the panacea for the football problems facing Mayo. He draws national attention because of his genuine success as manager of Kerry . . . a long time ago.
Outside the county his achievements are less illustrious. Kildare, whom he guided to an All-Ireland final in 1998, is his biggest boast. Laois and Wicklow exemplify only his ordinariness as a coach.
He has been a success with Kerry. But at 75 years of age the Kerryman, as manager, is now a well-dipped tea bag. And those who expect him to lead Mayo to an All-Ireland title – for that is sum of the county's expectations – are living a Walter Mitty daydream.
Liam O'Neill, one of the most respected coaches to lead Mayo — and who has no interest in returning to the post — had this to say of Mick O'Dwyer:
"I know one thing, he will raise a lot of money as he did in Wicklow with golf classics etc. But he is old news and has not moved up with the times. That's why he failed at Kildare, Laois and Wicklow. His method of running around 30 laps of the field is not the new way to get lads fit."
The Kerryman may yet see the folly of trying to cope with a fastidious football county 200 miles away. His mulling over the prospect may be no more than a stalling tactic while Limerick, a comparatively short distance away, consider their vacant post.
One would have expected that before turning their thoughts to an outsider, however, the Mayo board would have combed this county first for an aspiring coach.
If they are not satisfied with the quality of the names before them, there are others well qualified to take the reins if a method of approach similar to that of O'Dwyer – who was not nominated by a club — was adopted.
Maybe, if he were requested, Noel Connelly, who together with Pat Holmes and Micheal Collins were such an inspiring U-21 management, would show some interest – although circumstances might not allow a self-employed man with a young family the time to undertake such an onerous job. But he ought to be asked.
And where does Peter Ford figure in the discussions? Has anyone considered his successful stint as manager of Sligo? While Kevin Walsh basks in the plaudits of Sligo's rise to eminence, Ford guided the Yeats County to an even higher plane, with a victory over Tyrone and forcing the eventual All-Ireland winners Armagh to a quarter-final replay.
The Castlebar Mitchels manager has also had a stint with Galway, and steered their U-21 side to an All-Ireland title. I don't know what interest, if any, he holds for the Mayo job. But Ford is one of our own . . . and eminently suited to take charge of Mayo football. Is he not worth a subtle sound out?

And Kevin O'Neill isn't too impressed either:

QuoteCalls grow for a review before new manager picked

Mike Finnerty

FORMER Mayo footballers Kevin O'Neill and Kevin McStay have both called on the Mayo GAA Board to carry out a proper strategic review of the game in the county before appointing the next Mayo senior manager.
O'Neill was speaking exclusively to The Mayo News on Sunday evening last, shortly after helping Knockmore to victory in the Mayo SFC quarter-final and just 48 hours before the Mayo GAA executive were due to meet for the second time in eight days to discuss the Mayo senior management issue.
His comments come eight weeks after a statement issued by the Mayo GAA executive, following Mayo's defeat to Longford in the All-Ireland SFC Qualifier, where they revealed that they were, "undertaking a review of the state of the game in the county."
"With the review subject to take place in the coming weeks, it has been decided to defer the appointment of the next senior football manager until after this process has been finalised," read the statement.
"We feel that to do otherwise would take some focus and direction away from the matter at hand - namely the overall welfare of the game in our county."
The clubs of the county were subsequently told at a County Board meeting last month that they should discuss the state of football and bring proposals to a meeting of their local divisional board before next Monday, September 6.
However, many observers remain unconvinced by the decision to charge the clubs with beginning the review at the same time as the search begins for a new Mayo senior manager.
"At this stage I find it a little bit strange that we'd appoint a manager without doing a strategic review of where we are, where we need to be, and where we need to go as a county for the next number of years," said Kevin O'Neill.
"I don't see any great need for a rush in making an appointment. The next person we appoint as the Mayo manager has to be the right appointment for the next three to five years. Whether that's Mick O'Dwyer, or anybody else out there, we have to pick the right person for the job.
"I think that's why we need the strategic review," he added. "We need to specify what type of manager we want. Managing an inter-county team involves so many different aspects from physical preparation to mental preparation, and the tactical side of things has become critically important.
"It's important too to have some sort of succession plan in place so that whoever we do appoint as the next manager is surrounded by good people who can come and take over after that person.
"I've heard all the different names being mentioned but I'd feel more comfortable if they went through the strategic review, came up with an action plan out of that for the next six to twelve months, and also for the longer-term development strategy after that.
"Based on that strategy we should find out what are the key strengths and characteristics we need in a manager over the next couple of years. And then go out and try to find the best candidate for that job whether they're from Mayo or outside of Mayo.
"Things have changed a lot in inter-county football now. A lot of younger managers are now coming to the fore and I think that's bringing a whole breath of fresh air to football too. I wouldn't be in such a rush to make that appointment.
"It's critically important we get it right," continued the veteran Knockmore forward, who won an All Star award in 1993. "We have talent within Mayo that is as good, if not better, than Kildare or Down and you see where they've got this year.
"I definitely believe that with the right structures, and the right guy in place, the talent is there. But it is going to take a significant amount of sacrifice from the current crop of players that are there. If they want to make the step up to the next level, I think there needs to be an awful lot of honesty. Fellas need to sit down, look at themselves in the mirror, and say 'why are they in this'? 'Are they in this for all the right reasons'? They have to be able to put their lives on hold and make the ultimate sacrifices if they want to achieve the ultimate within Gaelic football.
"A bit of patience on the whole thing might do no harm at this stage and maybe less talk in the papers, and come back inside and get our own house in order without being so public about it.'
O'Neill's comments echoed those of Mayo News columnist and RTE pundit Kevin McStay who was unequivocal in his opposition to a 'quick fix' solution when speaking on RTE radio's Morning Ireland last Friday morning.
"We were promised a review a couple of months ago, that seems to have died a death, and now we're appointing key officials before we've even had the review. To me it's a complete nonsense," he said.
"That's not a personal slight against Mick O'Dwyer but the man is 74. This Mayo job is two to three years, surely, so he'll be 77 by the time it's over. Every county that's had a vacancy, Laois, Limerick, Galway, his name has been associated with it.
"I think Mayo should be going a completely different route. I'm disappointed, to say the least, that it hasn't been a bit more progressive."

I think the Board would be much better listening to the likes of Kevin O'Neill than those pushing Micko.

There is going to be a serious amount of rumblings no matter what the outcome to this now and we are probably going to be a split county. Without everybody working together we will go nowhere.

mannix

JOURNEY TO CASTLEBAR FROM KERRY,         150 MILES.
AGE OF MICKO                                                 74 YEARS
HOURS TO DRIVE TO CASTLEBAR                    4 HOURS X 2
THE FACT IT WAS EVER CONSIDERED            PRICELESS

WE ARE THE LAUGHING STOCK OF THE COUNTRY, COULD YOU EVER SEE TYRONE,DUBLIN,CORK OR HIS OWN NATIVE KERRY DREAMING OF ASKING HIM TO MANAGE THE SENIORS? JOHN O MAHONY EMBARASSED US BIGTIME THIS YEAR AND THEN WE HAVE THE COUNTY BOARD CLOWNS ADDING TO IT. THE BEST TEAMS IN IRELAND WOULD LOVE TO SEE HIM MANAGE US, THAT WOULD REMOVE THE CHANCE THAT WE MIGHT CATCH THEM OUT IN A QUARTERFINAL OR WORSE A SEMI. WE ARE ALREADY DEEMED NO HOPERS IN FINALS AND ONLY A PROPER MANAGER CAN CHANGE THAT.
AS WITH OUR GOVERNMENT CHANGE IS NEEDED AT COUNTY BOARD LEVEL IN A BIG WAY.

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: paddypastit on August 31, 2010, 12:18:20 AM
Folks I don't know anything about building but I was in McHale Park for the Connacht final having not been there since the last time Sligo played a Connacht final there in 2002. Granmted the new stand is wider and deeper and there's a bit of work done on other walls as well as that yoke on McHale Rd that all the fusss was (is?) about but for all yet have after... €16m - and folk give out about banks and NAMA. That is just unreal and totally and utterly unjustifiable for any provincial ground at any time. I'm at a loss for words - I'm sure there is some learned quote out there somewhere about false pride... oif I was that learned.

I am sick to the back teeth with the bitching about the new stand, its a fine structure and adds greatly to the Infractructure of Mayo GAA.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

the Deel Rover

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on August 31, 2010, 02:50:11 PM

I am sick to the back teeth with the bitching about the new stand, its a fine structure and adds greatly to the Infractructure of Mayo GAA.

are you been serious Mayogodhelp us ? its a joke . i have seen better slatted houses built and this structure cost 16 million ffs . i think the turnout to sundays matches showed what mayo football people think of the stadium and the decision to bring all  the big matches up to castlebar.
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

An Gaeilgoir

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on August 31, 2010, 02:50:11 PM

The stand is on the wrong side of the pitch, ever sat there when the sun is setting or the rain blowing into the back rows of the stand, both old and new. The "Bertie Bowl" was stopped in its tracks it's a pity the "Castlebar Folly" didn't suffer the same fate. A fine millstone around the necks of all our clubs both big and small. All this at a time when clubs, especially in rural areas are losing out yet again to emigration. A fine piece of infrastructure for crows to nest in it for roughly 362 days a year.

TacadoirArdMhacha

Whether Mick O'Dwyer should be Mayo manager is a matter for the people of Mayo but I really have to take exception with some of the half-truths passing for journalistic comment in the article Barney posted

QuoteO'Dwyer is not the answer

Sean Rice

It stretches the imagination to believe that O'Dwyer is the panacea for the football problems facing Mayo. He draws national attention because of his genuine success as manager of Kerry . . . a long time ago.
Outside the county his achievements are less illustrious. Kildare, whom he guided to an All-Ireland final in 1998, is his biggest boast. Laois and Wicklow exemplify only his ordinariness as a coach.

QuoteLiam O'Neill, one of the most respected coaches to lead Mayo — and who has no interest in returning to the post — had this to say of Mick O'Dwyer:
"I know one thing, he will raise a lot of money as he did in Wicklow with golf classics etc. But he is old news and has not moved up with the times. That's why he failed at Kildare, Laois and Wicklow. His method of running around 30 laps of the field is not the new way to get lads fit."

Kiladre hadn't made an All Ireland final since 1935 before Micko arrived.
Laois hadn't won a Leinster championship since 1946 before Micko arrived
Wicklow had never won 4 championship matches in a season before Micko arrived.

If that's failure, success must be a very hard thing to achieve.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

REDCOL

The Mayo News seems to have an agenda against Micko, I was going to mention some of the inaccuracies in Sean Rices piece.

But at 75 years of age  - 74 actually Sean

is now a well-dipped tea bag - any mirrors in wesport. Ageist anyone ?

Laois and Wicklow exemplify only his ordinariness as a coach - already addressed

Finally, any journalist that can write a piece should do at least a little research and he would know that some of the names he has named have already been sounded out on more than one occassion.

I really would like to see Micko get the gig now. Sean & Mike could moan about it for the next two years.

Farrandeelin

I wish one way or the other the oul bollix would make up his mind. Mannix is 100% correct, we are the laughing stock of the country right now. :-[ Mayo God help us is right.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.