Started by Barney, June 06, 2010, 09:39:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Who would you like to see as Mayo Manager in 2010

James Horan
Tommy Lyons
Anthony McGarry
John Maughan

REDCOL

He couldnt be nominated without a letter stating he was willing to take the job, not sure who nominated him. If I had to guess Burrishoole

Mayo4Sam

Any reason why Dempsey ruled himself out? Would like to have seen him, he's a great manager.
To me it looks like Horan is the only option to go for, but we'll be the Dublin of next years championship, 14 men behind the ball.
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

Tubberman

Quote from: Mayo4Sam on August 23, 2010, 07:20:02 PM
Any reason why Dempsey ruled himself out? Would like to have seen him, he's a great manager.
To me it looks like Horan is the only option to go for, but we'll be the Dublin of next years championship, 14 men behind the ball.

Why do you think that? Ballintubber aren't overly negative.
And to be honest, I don't think anyone would give a shite how many men we have behind the ball as long as they were actually playing to a system they all understood  :P
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

mortified

I work with a member of the current Wicklow panel and he had nothing but positives to say about Micko. Sayin that he still wouldnt be my first choice.
quit your jibba jabba fool!!

Barney

QuoteTwo more names added on Friday - The list now stands at:

Mick O Dwyer
James Horan
Denis Kearney
Anthony Mc Garry

County Board may add other candidates if they feel this list is not up to scratch. It looks like Micko is in the buck seat.

Not exactly imaginative or exciting and I cannot see the County Board beavering away to find something a bit better If that is what we must chose from I would take Horan every day of the week. If that is the list though Micko will have the job and Horan will be a selector.

Has anybody met any reasonable thinking Mayo fan who would want Micko and believes that it would be good for us.

The first thing that will happen if he takes charge is that we will lose our Division 1 status. Micko doesn't rate the league. We will be competitive in the Connacht championship but will we have a repeat of his dealings on the line in Wicklow where he didn't make a substitution throughout the whole of last years championship. If we get to Croke Park (and that would be a big if!) our naive 6 backs and 6 forwards tactics will lead to annihilation, or else an embarassing defeat somewhere else along the line. No thank you.

ross matt

Quote from: Barney on August 24, 2010, 08:00:15 AM
QuoteTwo more names added on Friday - The list now stands at:

Mick O Dwyer
James Horan
Denis Kearney
Anthony Mc Garry

County Board may add other candidates if they feel this list is not up to scratch. It looks like Micko is in the buck seat.

Not exactly imaginative or exciting and I cannot see the County Board beavering away to find something a bit better If that is what we must chose from I would take Horan every day of the week. If that is the list though Micko will have the job and Horan will be a selector.

Has anybody met any reasonable thinking Mayo fan who would want Micko and believes that it would be good for us.

The first thing that will happen if he takes charge is that we will lose our Division 1 status. Micko doesn't rate the league. We will be competitive in the Connacht championship but will we have a repeat of his dealings on the line in Wicklow where he didn't make a substitution throughout the whole of last years championship. If we get to Croke Park (and that would be a big if!) our naive 6 backs and 6 forwards tactics will lead to annihilation, or else an embarassing defeat somewhere else along the line. No thank you.
Surely Micko wont get it Barney?
Would'nt the obvious option be to appoint an internal manager like Horan who has an excellent player and has a decent track record as a manager ?
More importantly he would know the club scene inside out and surely he with some help could harvest the successful u-21 and minor sides of these last few seasons?
Cant believe after all the high profile losses Mayo have suffered that they'd go for a circus act like Dwyer.

ildanach

there is not a chance it will be micko
1 we dont have the money to pay him his "mileage expenses"
2 refer to number one

Statistics are like a bikini. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.

JMohan

Quote from: ildanach on August 24, 2010, 12:04:34 PM
there is not a chance it will be micko
1 we dont have the money to pay him his "mileage expenses"
2 refer to number one

I'd imagine many counties don't, but all it takes is 3 business men to decide they want him and the CB might be in a tight spot.

As Barney did say however ... it's not very 'imaginative'

rosnarun

little birdy told me at the weekend micko's expenses will be covered by a dublin based business man.
thats not saying hes a shoo in but money wont be the problem
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Barney

The craic is only beginning it seems!!

QuoteExecutive split over the idea of Micko

Next phase begins as board meets to assess the situation

Mike Finnerty

THE name of Mick O'Dwyer was expected to feature prominently at an executive meeting of the Mayo GAA Board last night with officials believed to be divided on his suitability for the vacant Mayo senior manager position.
While the deadline passed last Friday for Mayo GAA clubs to nominate candidates, there is nothing to prevent executive officers of the County Board from nominating individuals and speculation has increased in recent days that Mick O'Dwyer's name will be proposed.
The Mayo News understands that a number of prominent Mayo GAA supporters, both inside and outside the country, have expressed a desire to see the former Kerry manager's name included as a potential successor to John O'Mahony.
However, there is believed to be significant opposition within the county to the possibility of O'Dwyer being nominated — at both executive and club level.
All Mayo GAA clubs had until last Friday to submit their nominations for the vacant position and The Mayo News understands that former Mayo footballers James Horan, Anthony McGarry and Denis Kearney were all nominated.
Former Mayo manager John Maughan is also understood to have been nominated by at least one club. However, his nomination was not accompanied by a letter from the candidate so it is unclear if the Crossmolina boss knew that his name was being submitted for consideration.
Attention will now turn to whether or not the Mayo GAA executive will follow suggested protocols for the appointment of inter-county managers which were recommended by GAA officials at Croke Park earlier this year.
These proposals include the formation of a selection committee, the establishment of a selection strategy, the drawing up of a list of suitable candidates and the subsequent shortlisting of those candidates.
It also remains to be seen if some of those who have been linked with the post in recent weeks, but who have not yet been nominated, will be sounded out. This would include the likes of Peter Ford, Noel Connelly and Ray Dempsey.

JMohan

Quote from: rosnarun on August 24, 2010, 02:59:40 PM
little birdy told me at the weekend micko's expenses will be covered by a dublin based business man.
thats not saying hes a shoo in but money wont be the problem
Exactly!!! That's what always happens with Micko or a big name ... was waiting for something like that.

GalwayBayBoy

rosnarun

need s to be sorted very soon now or would will begin to fester. if its not too late already
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Peter Solan the Great

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on August 24, 2010, 03:28:56 PM

Hardly when you consider he has a house in Dublin, Brussels and Castlebar to run on only 100 grand.

Shrewdness

Quote from: REDCOL on August 23, 2010, 05:27:10 PM
Two more names added on Friday - The list now stands at:

Mick O Dwyer
James Horan
Denis Kearney
Anthony Mc Garry

By any chance, would that be the same Denis Kearney who is currently manager of Castlerea St Kevins in Roscommon?