Started by Barney, June 06, 2010, 09:39:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Who would you like to see as Mayo Manager in 2010

James Horan
Tommy Lyons
Anthony McGarry
John Maughan

Barney

QuoteThere's a mighty long list of names being mentioned alright but as Barney says, it's only a bit of craic for us and for others to pass the time. The CB probably has its own shortlist by now and may have made informal approaches to one or more individuals.

If that's the case, I think it would be foolhardy for anyone to commit himself until the review is completed and, more importantly, implemented.
Until then, no one can really say what the incoming manager's terms of reference are going to be. As club delegates and present players are to be involved and as the CB will have to show its hand and add in their own two cents' worth, it is going to be hard to predict what the eventual findings will be.
It just might happen, for instance, that the new incumbent will not have the authority to choose his own fellow-selectors or lackeys or whatever you may care to call them.
If that were to happen, it could cause some of those in the running to have second thoughts.
I don't know how long the review process is going to take and I don't really care either as long- as the present problems are identified and resolved. Then, and only then, the new manager should be appointed.

I'm reasonably upbeat about the future of Mayo football as I feel we have plenty of potentially good players available and we needn't be despondent about the short term future – if present problems are sorted out and some half-decent bucko is put in charge.

Lar, I'm suprised at you buying the County Board line.

Talking to people who were at the CB meeting it is clear there is going to be no proper review, there is going to nothing happening which affects the new manager. In fact the whole thing may just be a smokescreen to prevent somebody coming in who might want to spend some money. And that is why we are likely to stay a middle ranking county with the talent to be better not being realised.

A proper review should be carried out by an independent group, should have Terms of Reference to cover all areas of GAA from players at all levels, team structures, coaching structures, organisational structures, facilities, resources for team preparation, the position of the clubs within the County, development of permanent club competition structures etc etc etc. The benefits of a review will be felt in 5 - 10 years time if the results are worth implementing and are implemented. To prepare such a review would take the guts of 6 months so no point in holding up the appointment of a manager in my view. In fact in a proper county you could interview former managers at all levels find where things were lacking, what they liked about the set-up they were allowed to have, and what they felt got in their way.

However remember our County Board has had the same faces for 20/30 years. That will not change and this is not going to be a case of turkies voting for Christmas because we know any properly constructed review would only lead to them being criticised and reformed.

seafoid

Louis Walsh would make a good Mayo manager. Add a bit of glam, hard work, team spirit, fashion,
positivity, that sort of thing. Otherwise Ernie from the Muppets. 

When we are all dead there will be threads about the new Mayo manager at time x orbiting the planet for infinity. 

Zulu

Quote from: Barney on August 09, 2010, 04:25:13 PM
QuoteThere's a mighty long list of names being mentioned alright but as Barney says, it's only a bit of craic for us and for others to pass the time. The CB probably has its own shortlist by now and may have made informal approaches to one or more individuals.

If that's the case, I think it would be foolhardy for anyone to commit himself until the review is completed and, more importantly, implemented.
Until then, no one can really say what the incoming manager's terms of reference are going to be. As club delegates and present players are to be involved and as the CB will have to show its hand and add in their own two cents' worth, it is going to be hard to predict what the eventual findings will be.
It just might happen, for instance, that the new incumbent will not have the authority to choose his own fellow-selectors or lackeys or whatever you may care to call them.
If that were to happen, it could cause some of those in the running to have second thoughts.
I don't know how long the review process is going to take and I don't really care either as long- as the present problems are identified and resolved. Then, and only then, the new manager should be appointed.

I'm reasonably upbeat about the future of Mayo football as I feel we have plenty of potentially good players available and we needn't be despondent about the short term future – if present problems are sorted out and some half-decent bucko is put in charge.

Talking to people who were at the CB meeting it is clear there is going to be no proper review, there is going to nothing happening which affects the new manager. In fact the whole thing may just be a smokescreen to prevent somebody coming in who might want to spend some money. And that is why we are likely to stay a middle ranking county with the talent to be better not being realised.

A proper review should be carried out by an independent group, should have Terms of Reference to cover all areas of GAA from players at all levels, team structures, coaching structures, organisational structures, facilities, resources for team preparation, the position of the clubs within the County, development of permanent club competition structures etc etc etc. The benefits of a review will be felt in 5 - 10 years time if the results are worth implementing and are implemented. To prepare such a review would take the guts of 6 months so no point in holding up the appointment of a manager in my view. In fact in a proper county you could interview former managers at all levels find where things were lacking, what they liked about the set-up they were allowed to have, and what they felt got in their way.

However remember our County Board has had the same faces for 20/30 years. That will not change and this is not going to be a case of turkies voting for Christmas because we know any properly constructed review would only lead to them being criticised and reformed.

I'm battling away on the hurling board with lads about the Cork strike and one of the points I've made is that the strike led to the clubs taking back some of the control for running the GAA from the CB. One of the problems with the GAA is that it takes a serious amount of time to run it and therefore many people aren't willing to give that and will basically let whoever is willing, a free hand regardless of their suitability for the task.

The question here is why are clubs allowing the CB a) to remain in place if they aren't up to it, b) not demanding that the CB put in place a proper independent review c) Taking the lead when it comes to running the GAA in Mayo?

Most of the Mayo lads here are very sensible posters, are you not reflective of Mayo GAA club memebers? If you are then why aren't clubs demanding more from their CB?

rosnarun

Quote from: seafoid on August 09, 2010, 04:48:39 PM
Louis Walsh would make a good Mayo manager. Add a bit of glam, hard work, team spirit, fashion,

When we are all dead there will be threads about the new Mayo manager at time x orbiting the planet for infinity. 

shows how much you know
Ernie nor his 'Friend' bert ever appeared in the muppet show but lived on seasame Steet a much better neighbourhood
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Lar Naparka

Quote from: Barney on August 09, 2010, 04:25:13 PM

Arrah, Barney, I'd buy sweet FA from that crowd- even with a thirty days money back, no quibble guarantee.  ;D
But my point is that the CB has agreed to a review and it's now up to others to see that it won't be a cover my ass exercise for the gents concerned.
The clubs and the present players are to be given a chance to contribute to the review process.  I'm damn sure the CB doesn't want the review to get out of hand- maybe the whole bleedy lot will be asked to 'consider their positions' a la Ivor Callely.
Sure; they don't intend to let things go that far but it's a bit like letting the genie out of the bottle, isn't it?
It's up to the clubs now to make sure their voices are heard.
Like Zulu says, there is one helluva lot of sensible, sincere posters here and I'm certain many of you are members of clubs and now should be pushing for the review to go beyond the CB's terms of reference.
Are the players en bloc going to accept that the whole process is going to be a done deal or are they going to come out and air their grievances? I should think they have much to complain about.
The CB felt compelled to call for a review; something I haven't heard of before. It's a chance for clubs and players alike to make the most of an opportunity that won't present itself again.
It seems to me that the media won't swallow the CB line either. Going by what I read in the Mayo News and The Western it was good to see that many of the hacks who had previously fallen over themselves to kiss The Messiah's butt had plenty of unflattering things to say about the general state of Mayo's football affairs.
I can't see the CB setting an easy ride from them if it attempts to pull a fast one.
In short, the review may not be what we really want but it's the best there is on offer.
Now, it's up to those who are in a position to contribute to make their feelings known.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Tubberman

Not sure how much substance is behind this article - lack of any quotes suggests it might be just the rumour mill, but it's a very interesting name to throw into the hat!!

Might as well add it to the list Barney. Not sure the CB could afford his expenses though, we're in even more debt than the neighbours who just got rid of Big Joe supposedly because of the costs.

From The Connaught Telegraph:

Speculation is growing that former Tyrone All-Ireland medal winner and All-Star, Peter Canavan, is interested in taking over the Mayo senior football team manager job.
Canavan, who is a frequent visitor to Mayo and has family connections in the county, is regarded as one of the greatest full forwards of all time.
The 39-year-old is among the most decorated players in the game's history, winning two All-Ireland senior football championship medals, six GAA All-Star awards, four provincial titles and two national leagues.
He also represented Ireland in the International Rules Series on several occasions.

His scoring record of 218 points is the second highest of all time in the Ulster championship and he has often been Tyrone's best performer — particularly in the 1995 All-Ireland final when he scored 11 of Tyrone's 12 points — which led to claims that Tyrone was a one-man show, and that the team was too dependent on him, particularly in his early career.
His appointment as Mayo manager would be seen as a great coup and many would see him as the perfect man to resurrect the fortunes of Mayo senior football.
But it is far from clear the Mayo County Board will go outside the county to select a new manager.
At the recent county board meeting to discuss the state of football in the county it was suggested the new man to replace John O'Mahony should come within the county.
However, if a man like Peter Canavan, who has coaching experience with his club Errigal Ciaran, is prepared to take on the job I am sure the county board would get the full backing from every green and red supporter throughout the county.
Another new name being linked with the vacant post is Burrishoole's Colm McManamon, a former Mayo star.

"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

ballinaman

Quote from: Tubberman on August 10, 2010, 11:34:52 AM

many would see him as the perfect man to resurrect the fortunes of Mayo senior football.

I don't know about that?Why exactly?

Tubberman

Canavan won't be the next manager. I think the attention and hype that would accompany Canavan is exactly what we don't need anyway. We need a hard-working, no-nonsense manager who knows what he wants and goes about it efficiently and without a media persona to maintain:

Canavan rules himself out of Mayo manager race

EXCLUSIVE
Mike Finnerty

Tyrone legend Peter Canavan has ruled himself out of the running to be the next Mayo senior football manager.
Rumours had been circulating in recent days that the six-time All Star and TV3 GAA pundit was interested in the position vacated by John O'Mahony last month.
However, speaking exclusively to The Mayo News last night, Canavan said that he had "absolutely no interest" in managing Mayo and confirmed that he "hadn't been approached by anybody" in connection to the vacant post.
"I'm managing Errigal Chiaráin, my home club team, at the moment and that's where my commitment is," said Canavan, a two-time All-Ireland winner with Tyrone.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Farrandeelin

QuoteAnother new name being linked with the vacant post is Burrishoole's Colm McManamon, a former Mayo star.

I voted for him in MWR's poll of polls when that was doing the rounds.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

ross4life

The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

seafoid

Quote from: rosnarun on August 09, 2010, 09:42:57 PM
Quote from: seafoid on August 09, 2010, 04:48:39 PM

shows how much you know
Ernie nor his 'Friend' bert ever appeared in the muppet show but lived on seasame Steet a much better neighbourhood

Good point. It's so long ago now.   

mayoman dan

moysider

Quote from: Tubberman on August 11, 2010, 01:56:33 PM
Canavan won't be the next manager. I think the attention and hype that would accompany Canavan is exactly what we don't need anyway. We need a hard-working, no-nonsense manager who knows what he wants and goes about it efficiently and without a media persona to maintain:
Canavan rules himself out of Mayo manager race

EXCLUSIVE
Mike Finnerty

Tyrone legend Peter Canavan has ruled himself out of the running to be the next Mayo senior football manager.
Rumours had been circulating in recent days that the six-time All Star and TV3 GAA pundit was interested in the position vacated by John O'Mahony last month.
However, speaking exclusively to The Mayo News last night, Canavan said that he had "absolutely no interest" in managing Mayo and confirmed that he "hadn't been approached by anybody" in connection to the vacant post.
"I'm managing Errigal Chiaráin, my home club team, at the moment and that's where my commitment is," said Canavan, a two-time All-Ireland winner with Tyrone.

Pity he isn't available. He would fit the bill you specified above as well. I dont think he has a media persona, unlike most of the pundits who air their views on tv. He calls it as he sees it and he makes sense most of the time. At least one guy voted on here does not make any sense talking about the game.

Barney

QuoteMick O Dwyer if he wants it apparently

Where did you come up with that Mayoman Dan.

I truly hope not. I don't think any right thinking Mayo fan would welcome such an appointment. I can't see any right thinking Mayo fan bar the Ole Olers thinking it would be good. Too much profile with antiquated methods and an attempt at a short term fix. Everything about that is wrong - we need a low profile but effective, locally based manager with fresh thinking who is prepared to take on a 3/4 task with some very young but talented fellas. The danger is that a near bankrupt (financially and in terms of ideas) will think short-term success may sell seats in McHale Park and bring in revenue. I don't think the money situation will be fixed that easily either!

If Micko is appointed we are in for a very prolonged and dark period.

I don't think the "denial" from John Maughan is that at all. I think he is actually a very real possibility for this number and probably the default option the County Board have in mind if all else fails. Do ye remember Noel Connelly was mentioned as his selector back in 2003/2004? He wanted to play club football but it will be an option again?

Dinny Breen

I always this model would work well in the GAA and where better to start than Mayo GAA, if results go bad the fans take the blame...

http://www.myfootballclub.co.uk/

#newbridgeornowhere