Who would you like to see as Mayo Manager in 2010

James Horan
Tommy Lyons
Anthony McGarry
John Maughan

macdanger2

IolarCoisCuain

Quote from: Barney on August 06, 2010, 09:28:28 AM
Yeah I wouldn't be in favour of DB getting the job. I just put the names that have been mentioned in the list. I guess one of that list is going to be appointed. Could not see a Canavan or Boylan getting the job or even being considered.

Sadly with the antics of the County Board we are in a very dark place and whoever does take it on may have a poisoned chalice because the support that they will need to improve matters does not look like it will be forthcoming.

Mentioned by whom Barney? Why are Tommy Lyons or David Brady more worthy of consideration than Pete McGrath? Pete's been requested twice now on this discussion - why doesn't that count?

Farrandeelin

Quote from: ballinaman on August 06, 2010, 04:51:02 AM
Quote from: ross4life on August 05, 2010, 09:47:48 PM
Quote from: Hedley Lamarr on August 05, 2010, 05:38:24 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=barLaHrtvoM

Keep the faith ;)

That was played in copper face jacks Sunday night, it made me feel a little better  :-\

Was wondering about David Brady also, anyways i voted Dempsey   ;)
As did i.....i feel dirty...

bit much for DB to step straight into intercounty management.

Good minds think alike.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Rossfan

The days of the big money imports are over ladeens  so ye'll have to pick one of ye're own.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Barney

Iolar no point to get so upset!

I only included names that have declared an interest (Willie Joe, McHale), those that have refused to rule themselves out when on TV (Tommy Lyons), and those that I have seen mentioned in local media (everybody else)

For those that feel they have been disenfranchised I have now added four names - it's only a bit of craic anyhow! I would be shocked if Pete McGrath, Canavan or Boylan went next or near it, and even if they wanted it I would say there is zero chance of them being appointed but have your say and we'll close the poll on Monday.

ross4life

Quote from: ballinaman on August 06, 2010, 04:51:02 AM
Quote from: ross4life on August 05, 2010, 09:47:48 PM
Quote from: Hedley Lamarr on August 05, 2010, 05:38:24 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=barLaHrtvoM

Keep the faith ;)

That was played in copper face jacks Sunday night, it made me feel a little better  :-\

Was wondering about David Brady also, anyways i voted Dempsey   ;)
As did i.....i feel dirty...

bit much for DB to step straight into intercounty management.

It would be a big Step up but he know's the under aged talent better than anyone
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

Zulu

Why would David Brady know the under age talent better than anyone?

ross4life

The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

moysider

IolarCoisCuain

Quote from: Barney on August 06, 2010, 03:47:01 PM

I only included names that have declared an interest (Willie Joe, McHale), those that have refused to rule themselves out when on TV (Tommy Lyons), and those that I have seen mentioned in local media (everybody else)

For those that feel they have been disenfranchised I have now added four names - it's only a bit of craic anyhow! I would be shocked if Pete McGrath, Canavan or Boylan went next or near it, and even if they wanted it I would say there is zero chance of them being appointed but have your say and we'll close the poll on Monday.

Cheers Barney. I reckon it's Rossies that are voting Brady, for the laugh. I'll be made manager of Mayo sooner than Boylan. Nothing in it for him. If the Board had sense they'd pursue McGrath, but maybe he's a bit far away too. Just from being realistic about the logistics.

I voted for Maughan, myself. After him laying the seeds for the Roscommon revival earlier I couldn't not. It was yet another triumph for the great man to take a county sunk so low and to raise them so high. I know they feel bad towards him now in Ross but, many years hence, they'll realise it was a Mayoman that put them back on their feet and give him due thanks then.

ross4life

Quote from: IolarCoisCuain on August 06, 2010, 10:23:46 PM

Cheers Barney. I reckon it's Rossies that are voting Brady, for the laugh. I'll be made manager of Mayo sooner than Boylan. Nothing in it for him. If the Board had sense they'd pursue McGrath, but maybe he's a bit far away too. Just from being realistic about the logistics.

I voted for Maughan, myself. After him laying the seeds for the Roscommon revival earlier I couldn't not. It was yet another triumph for the great man to take a county sunk so low and to raise them so high. I know they feel bad towards him now in Ross but, many years hence, they'll realise it was a Mayoman that put them back on their feet and give him due thanks then.

Best laugh i had for years  :D

P.S in reply to moysider didn't Dempsey manage all these young players

Lar Naparka

There's a mighty long list of names being mentioned alright but as Barney says, it's only a bit of craic for us and for others to pass the time. The CB probably has its own shortlist by now and may have made informal approaches to one or more individuals.

If that's the case, I think it would be foolhardy for anyone to commit himself until the review is completed and, more importantly, implemented.
Until then, no one can really say what the incoming manager's terms of reference are going to be. As club delegates and present players are to be involved and as the CB will have to show its hand and add in their own two cents' worth, it is going to be hard to predict what the eventual findings will be.
It just might happen, for instance, that the new incumbent will not have the authority to choose his own fellow-selectors or lackeys or whatever you may care to call them.
If that were to happen, it could cause some of those in the running to have second thoughts.
I don't know how long the review process is going to take and I don't really care either as long- as the present problems are identified and resolved. Then, and only then, the new manager should be appointed.

I'm reasonably upbeat about the future of Mayo football as I feel we have plenty of potentially good players available and we needn't be despondent about the short term future – if present problems are sorted out and some half-decent bucko is put in charge.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

moysider

Quote from: ross4life on August 06, 2010, 10:32:29 PM
Quote from: IolarCoisCuain on August 06, 2010, 10:23:46 PM

Best laugh i had for years  :D

P.S in reply to moysider didn't Dempsey manage all these young players

Yes, he did.

outthecountry

Dempsey seems the obvious choice to me and i would be surprised if they looked beyond him....it works for roscommon....he knows all the players.....and is currently the  U21 manager....that now or paidi O'Shea who promised an All Ireland if he was in charge............a lot of Mayo players wouldn't be familiar with the phrase "fu*ked over the sideline like a loaf of bread".....they'd certainly have a laugh though.!!!!

Barney

So John Maughan and David Brady are joint winners of our poll   :P

The Kerry duo of Paidi and Micko were second.

In reality nobody seems to have a clue what they want! Much like our County Board.