Previous topic - Next topic

Who would you like to see as Mayo Manager in 2010

James Horan
Tommy Lyons
Anthony McGarry
John Maughan

Lar Naparka

Quote from: INDIANA on July 30, 2010, 11:06:05 PM
think the whole thing is bananas personally. The rudimentary basics of assembling a good team have not changed since 1884. Mayo will get paralysed by analysis if they take that post too seriously. At times Mayo nearly care too much. And I mean that in a good way.

Ah, I dunno, Indy. It's a case of being damned if you do and f**ked if you don't with Mayo. There's widespread acceptance from all concerned that things have gone so badly wrong that a fundamental root and branch review is called for.
John O'Mahony didn't fail to assemble a good team- he just made a mess of getting it to play to anywhere near its full potential.
Maybe it is unfair to blame him fully for the mess he has left behind him but something is badly wrong with the structures of Mayo football and the problem or problems need to be indicated and resolved before anyone goes about assembling a county squad once more.
The proposed review, IMO, is a positive step in the right direction-at least it's recognition that we have serious underlying problems and that a mere change of manager won't answer our prayers.
Assembling a squad should be easy enough; Mayo has a large pool to draw from.
Selecting the best available might take a bit more time and trouble but shouldn't be beyond the capabilities of O'Mahony's successor- whoever he may be. Getting the hoors he selects to play to anywhere near their full potential may be quite a different matter. 
Mayo are the present minor Connacht champions. I think that's their third title in five years. The u21s won 4 of the last 5 in their grade. The minors gave two very credible displays in AI finals, while the u21s won out in 2006. All in all, it seems to me that we have a good supply of young players with potential coming through the ranks. Credit should be given to Ray Dempsey, Noel Connelly and others associated with them for this.
I feel John O'Mahony had more young players with serious potential at his disposal than any other manager in the land - and he proceeded to make pigs' ears out of silk purses where the whole effin' lot were concerned!
He also inherited an experienced nucleus of players, four of whom had won All Star awards. Maybe it would be unfair to expect an experienced manager with an established panel to snag an AI or two along the way but from beginning to end, it was a case standards going downhill all the way. Many observers, including your truly, accepted his assertion that the older players had lost their cojones after the massacres of '04 and '06 but it was obvious from the league final onwards that the younger buckos also had turned into sick parodies of their former selves.
O'Mahony must bear some of the blame for this but by no means all of it. The senior players who meekly followed their leader in the race to the bottom have questions to answer as well. His two assistants and Martin Carney can't escape censure either. Maybe most of the county board deserve a good root up the rock & roll while I'm at it but it was noticeable that the much-maligned secretary, Sean Feeney, broke ranks with his remarks in his last annual report when he had a go at the manager and his team.
Feeney was to point out that the manager and team had the best resources that could be provided. So, given the widespread nature of the malaise, I think a review is an urgent necessity and not an option.
If I had my way, we'd have an Inquisition and I'd go still further and say that we'd need to employ a damn good exorcist before we even think about appointing a new manager.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

muppet

Ah Jaysus lads, the pessimism is overbearing.

I feel we are in the aftermath of the Championship loss in 1995.

We don't see the great year ahead coming and we haven't even appointed the man who will do it. We have the men who will lead us there and most of the rest as well have already worn the jersey. I just hope we won't be asking where were the McD & KON equivalents are, as they might have been the ones to get the point or two in the last 12 minutes that would have won it.

Our players aren't far off at all. The knockout nature of the Championship can make reputations and experts look very silly in even one weekend as we have seen. Personally I expect Kerry to bounce straight back and Tyrone are Ulster Champions, the most competitive province imho. They won't be far away next year.

As for us, at the end of the League in 1995 we had been relegated to Division 3 to join Galway and Sligo. We then were beaten by 7 points by Galway. This was when Connacht football was really in the doldrums. Compare that with now where we (albeit badly) lost the Division 1 Final and have a steady supply of decent under-age teams and players.

Whatever spark happened in early 1996 it ignited players that had played in the dross outlined above. Compared to those players our current lot have consistently competed at a higher level, even underage. I am an eternal optimist when it comes to Mayo and still believe we just need the right spark.

If the County Board takes the rest of the year to locate that spark I don't care, as long as they get it right.

Now, how are ye fixed for tickets next year?
MWWSI 2017

Farrandeelin

I'm afraid to be optimistic muppet, because if I predict Mayo will win the next match, they're sure to go and lose it. :-\
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

moysider

Listening to people about, the penny is finally dropping about how badly we missed the boat. After all the bullshit about rebuilding, when standards evened out we are nowhere due mostly to dreadful management last 4 summers. Down, Kildare and Dublin have AI semi finals to look forward to and we get a review. Something that could be done over a winter when there is no football to be played. Our minors in the last 4 again would suggest that underage structures aren't doing too badly. The senior debacle over the last 4 years will no doubt be the focus of the review.

I would hope that a new manager will be in place for the New York trip. As regards the senior panel. It should be stood down. What happened this year was not acceptable and while we cant stand down the management - who were the biggest culprits - the players have to be sent a message as well.  If it hasn't been done already they should be contacted and thanked for their commitment in the past. However none should be left with the illusion that they are still Mayo footballers and are going to be in the future unless they are wanted by the new management. Might seem a bit harsh but disbanding the senior panel needs to be done to draw a line under this mess. The new manager should start from scratch and take Liam O Neill's advice and interview everybody he thinks might have anything to offer. I would be in favor of bringing an expeditionary panel to States.

INDIANA

Quote from: Lar Naparka on August 01, 2010, 12:11:45 AM
Quote from: INDIANA on July 30, 2010, 11:06:05 PM
think the whole thing is bananas personally. The rudimentary basics of assembling a good team have not changed since 1884. Mayo will get paralysed by analysis if they take that post too seriously. At times Mayo nearly care too much. And I mean that in a good way.

Ah, I dunno, Indy. It's a case of being damned if you do and f**ked if you don't with Mayo. There's widespread acceptance from all concerned that things have gone so badly wrong that a fundamental root and branch review is called for.
John O'Mahony didn't fail to assemble a good team- he just made a mess of getting it to play to anywhere near its full potential.
Maybe it is unfair to blame him fully for the mess he has left behind him but something is badly wrong with the structures of Mayo football and the problem or problems need to be indicated and resolved before anyone goes about assembling a county squad once more.
The proposed review, IMO, is a positive step in the right direction-at least it's recognition that we have serious underlying problems and that a mere change of manager won't answer our prayers.
Assembling a squad should be easy enough; Mayo has a large pool to draw from.
Selecting the best available might take a bit more time and trouble but shouldn't be beyond the capabilities of O'Mahony's successor- whoever he may be. Getting the hoors he selects to play to anywhere near their full potential may be quite a different matter. 
Mayo are the present minor Connacht champions. I think that's their third title in five years. The u21s won 4 of the last 5 in their grade. The minors gave two very credible displays in AI finals, while the u21s won out in 2006. All in all, it seems to me that we have a good supply of young players with potential coming through the ranks. Credit should be given to Ray Dempsey, Noel Connelly and others associated with them for this.
I feel John O'Mahony had more young players with serious potential at his disposal than any other manager in the land - and he proceeded to make pigs' ears out of silk purses where the whole effin' lot were concerned!
He also inherited an experienced nucleus of players, four of whom had won All Star awards. Maybe it would be unfair to expect an experienced manager with an established panel to snag an AI or two along the way but from beginning to end, it was a case standards going downhill all the way. Many observers, including your truly, accepted his assertion that the older players had lost their cojones after the massacres of '04 and '06 but it was obvious from the league final onwards that the younger buckos also had turned into sick parodies of their former selves.
O'Mahony must bear some of the blame for this but by no means all of it. The senior players who meekly followed their leader in the race to the bottom have questions to answer as well. His two assistants and Martin Carney can't escape censure either. Maybe most of the county board deserve a good root up the rock & roll while I'm at it but it was noticeable that the much-maligned secretary, Sean Feeney, broke ranks with his remarks in his last annual report when he had a go at the manager and his team.
Feeney was to point out that the manager and team had the best resources that could be provided. So, given the widespread nature of the malaise, I think a review is an urgent necessity and not an option.
If I had my way, we'd have an Inquisition and I'd go still further and say that we'd need to employ a damn good exorcist before we even think about appointing a new manager.
Lar if dublin can assemble a team after the wreckage of the last 2 years in hte space of 12 months. Anyone can. Put the essence of a work ethic into the team and assemble a group of players who are more interested in playing for the jersey rather then being known as "Mayo footballers". Thats a startijng point. Leave the reports for the county board but I certainly wouldn't be publicising them.

Barney

I agree with moysider - a new manager should be in place before New York. What date is that game anyhow? I know it's October sometime. There is some good groundwork that can be done over a few days like that - manager gets to know players, gets to chat to them casually and plans for the new season can be set out.

It also appears that yet again supporters have been sold a pup with the so-called review that is to take place. Despite the initial statement brought out to take heat off the Board in the week after the Longford game it appears that they are clueless as to where they should or want to go with the whole process and so haven't done anything about it. There is plenty to look at, all of which should be done quietly and behind closed doors with a view to ultimately having somebody other than a Senior Manager responsible for the integration of players between various grades and constantly controlling the progress of football within the county. What is clear is that the talent is being brought through to minor level but things are not followed on from there too well. Why is the big question, and perhaps some of the answers lie in the fact that being in Connacht we have a fair to good chance of a provincial title at each grade each year but fail against other provinces.

Anyway what the new manager in the main has at his disposal is the under 21 teams of 2006 - 2010 and the minor teams of 2007 to 2010, and of course this years senior panel. There is overlap but this is what we are looking at;

2010 Senior Panel

1 Chris Barrett Belmullet
2 Ger Cafferkey Ballina Stephenites
3 David Clarke Ballina Stephenites
4 Kieran Conroy Shrule-Glencorrib
5 Tom Cunniffe Castlebar Mitchels
6 Alan Dillon Ballintubber
7 Neil Douglas Castlebar Mitchels
8 Alan Feeney Castlebar Mitchels
9 Alan Freeman Aghamore
10 Peadar Gardiner Crossmolina
11 Patrick Harte Ballina Stephenites
12 Keith Higgins Ballyhaunis
13 Trevor Howley Knockmore
14 Aidan Kilcoyne Knockmore
15 Ronan McGarrity Ballina
16 Kevin McLoughlin Knockmore
17 Andy Moran Ballaghaderreen
18 Barry Moran Castlebar Mitchels
19 Conor Mortimer Shrule-Glencorrib
20 Trevor Mortimer Shrule-Glencorrib
21 Shane Nally Garrymore
22 Kenneth O'Malley Ballinrobe
23 Liam O'Malley Burrishoole
24 Aidan O'Shea Breaffy
25 Seamus O'Shea Breaffy
26 Billy Joe Padden Belmullet
27 Tom Parsons Charlestown 
28 Mark Ronaldson Shrule-Glencorrib
29 Enda Varley Garrymore
30 Donal Vaughan Ballinrobe

2006 under 21

K O'Malley; T Howley, G Cafferkey, K Higgins (capt); C Barrett, T Cunniffe, C Boyle; S O'Shea, B Moran; A Campbell, J Dillon, A Kilcoyne; M Ronaldson, M Hannick, M Conroy.

2007 under 21

M McNulty; A Joyce, G Cafferkey, D Kilcullen; C Barrett, T Cunniffe, C Boyle; B Moran, T Parsons ; A Campbell, P Hanley  A McManamon; E Varley , A Hanley, M Ronaldson

2008 under 21

Nallen; D Vaughan, G Cafferkey, C English; C Barrett (C), T Cunniffe, J Burke; S O'Shea, T Parsons; T Gavin, B Gallagher, J Doherty; M Sweeney, K Sweeney, P O'Connor

2009 Under 21

R Hennelly; E Reilly, K Keane, J Broderick; D Vaughan, L Keegan, K McLoughlin; T Parsons, C Carolan; F Burke, A O'Shea, B Gallagher; M Sweeney , N Douglas , J Doherty

2010 Under 21

R Hennelly; P Mulchrone, S McHale, M Gallagher; L Keegan, E O'Reilly, S Prendergast; G McDonagh, S Nally; C Carolan, K McLoughlin, J Doherty; N Douglas , A O'Shea , A Freeman

2008 Minor

R Hennelly; D Dolan, K Keane, J Broderick; S McHale, E Reilly, S Nally (capt) ; J Cafferty, G McDonagh; C Freeman, A O'Shea, R Geraghty; K Charlton, A Walsh , A Corduff .

2009 Minor

M Schlingermann; M Walsh, K Rogers, D Gavin; C Charlton , S McDermott, C Crowe; D Kirby, A Farrell; B Rutledge, D Coen, F Durkan ; A Corduff, A Walsh, C O'Connor

2010 Minor

P Mannion; B Harrison, N Freeman, C Twomey; R Quirke, C Walsh, C Horan; D Kirby, S McGarry; F Durkan, M Forde, S Kelly; J McDonnell, D Coen, C O'Connor

To my mind I would hope that a new attitude and a second chance might benefit David Kilcullen and Aidan Campbell.

The 98 minor team appears to have the most talent available - Shane Nally, Kevin Keane and Cathal Freeman would appear to be the most likely team.

If we are looking for corner backs I don't know if the answers are there. Aidan Walsh or Cillian O'Connor can hopefully in time provide the freekaing options needed. Midfield answers still appear to be missing in the short term.

Given that we will be relying on this young pool there are only two men that know them inside out. Connelley and Dempsey. Of these I think Connelly has to be the man to lead the project forward for the next 3/4 years.

Farrandeelin

There must have been all hell breaking loose at the county board convention on Thursday night according to the Western People. Needless to say, there was no sign of any plan to put a review in place, or what they were reviewing. It's good to clear the air all the same, but something must be done soon regarding the 'review'. Nominations must be in from clubs before September the 3rd for the manager's post.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Peter Solan the Great

Quote from: Farrandeelin on August 03, 2010, 03:47:44 PM
There must have been all hell breaking loose at the county board convention on Thursday night according to the Western People. Needless to say, there was no sign of any plan to put a review in place, or what they were reviewing. It's good to clear the air all the same, but something must be done soon regarding the 'review'. Nominations must be in from clubs before September the 3rd for the manager's post.

There was some ruptions alright. The mayo news have the Gossip

Nominations sought for manager's job

MAYO COUNTY BOARD MEETING
Daniel Carey
Castlebar

ANYONE interested in becoming the next Mayo senior football manager must apply before August 20, Chairman James Waldron told last Thursday's meeting of Mayo GAA Board.
Announcing the closing date for nominations, The Neale clubman said all proposals from clubs "must be accompanied by a letter" from the person interested in the job. A committee to appoint the next manager will then be set up in accordance with criteria suggested by GAA Headquarters.
Waldron agreed with a Ballaghaderreen delegate who suggested that prospective managers "should outline their vision" for Mayo football. Secretary Seán Feeney added that members of the Board "may also nominate" candidates provided their application includes such a vision. Mick Higgins (Kiltimagh) suggested that the next manager should come "from within the county".
Responding to a question from John Farragher (Garrymore), the Chairman said that rumours of payments to Mickey Moran and John Morrison at the time of their departures in 2006 were "pure melodeon". JP Lambe added that there were "no underhand payments to anyone" during his time as Treasurer.

Review goes back to clubs
CLUBS have been told to discuss the state of football in Mayo and bring proposals to a meeting of their local divisional board to be held by September 6. That was the outcome of a lengthy and sometimes meandering discussion at last week's County Board meeting on the review of Mayo football.
The review, proposed after the senior inter-county team's shock defeat by Longford, will "go back to the clubs" and be discussed at divisional board level before a "strategy to go forward" is compiled, Chairman James Waldron told the meeting. "Go back, talk to your clubs, make submissions, and we'll get committees in place," advised The Neale clubman.
The Executive, County Board, Bord na nÓg, the club structure, divisional boards and the progression from minor to under-21 to senior level should all be examined, said Waldron, who noted: "We have to look at everything".
The early part of the debate centred on underage football before one delegate focused on the adult scene, saying: "2010 was a disgrace from a senior football point of view ... There were lads wearing Mayo jerseys who didn't want to be there ... There's no point asking us to sell County Board tickets next February if we don't have answers."
Richard Cosgrove (Kiltane) said that after the 2006 All-Ireland final, the "lack of physicality" among Mayo players had been noted at a County Board meeting. "What did we do since then to rectify that?" he asked. James Waldron replied that all Mayo panel members were given gym programmes, and Coaching Officer Hugh Rudden said a strength and conditioning programme had been introduced for under-17s.
Aidan Brennan (Claremorris) said the County Board has become "totally ineffectual" and meetings were a "waste of time". Most delegates "would tell you they have no say at all," said the former County Board PRO, who added that the divisional board had become "totally irrelevant". "The main committees of this county are not working, because they're not there," said Brennan, who suggested that the Executive "doesn't want meetings"'. Chairman James Waldron said he totally resented Brennan's comments, and said the workload undertaken by members of the Executive was "unbelievable".
"Nice guys will not win Sam Maguires," said South Board Chairman Mattie Joe Connolly, who called for a change in Mayo's "whole policy from underage level" and approvingly cited Roscommon's "courage and fight".
Pat McManamon (Burrishoole) said that Mayo were "not within shooting distance of Sam Maguire", and that the tone of the meeting suggested that "reality has finally dawned". Mayo were not in the top eight or top 12, he said, but were "a little better than the bottom five".
Amanda Doherty (Kilmaine) commented on the "huge division" in the County Board and said she hadn't "a notion" of being able to sell 60 or 70 Development Draw tickets next year. That point was echoed by Mattie Murphy (Shrule/Glencorrib), who mentioned the fine imposed on his club for not playing the O'Mara Cup final and mused: "If I went to sell County Board tickets in Shrule, I'd be shot going in the gate!"
Mick Higgins (Kiltimagh) said that he had "never heard such an air of negativity" at a County Board meeting before. "We're not Kilkenny footballers," he said. "We're a proud football county."

Review of Coaching and Games
BILLY McNicholas said the future of Mayo Coaching and Games should involve the immediate establishment of "an independent and meaningful" Review Group to review "all coaching and games structures, systems, policies and achievements".
The group should, the Mayo GAA Games Manager said, include representatives of Mayo County Board, Mayo Coaching and Games Development Committee, past and present club managers, coaches, players and administrators, media and other invited interested parties.
Such a review would, McNicholas predicted, "enhance" the "fantastic work" going on at underage level in the county. He made the comments after giving a short presentation on the work of Mayo Coaching and Games at the beginning of last Thursday's County Board meeting.
Mick Higgins (Kiltimagh) said the Mayo minor players of the last two years should be monitored now that many have gone off to college, beginning with the group who reached the 2008 All-Ireland final.
"Do we identify players at under-14 level as possible future county minors?" asked Games Promotion Officer Eugene Lavin. "That doesn't go on enough." But, he added, since 1993, 90 per cent of under-14s brought into the programme make it to minor.
Having elicited that only 15 per cent of under-14s entering the programme are able to use both feet and both hands, Mayo Bord na nÓg Chairman Mike Connelly said a "win at all costs" attitude was "a huge problem", since young players were not being taught the skills of the game.
Eugene Lavin said the "real issue" was what happened after minor level. "I don't think lack of skill was the reason we lost games this year," he added.

Over-40s competition
MAYO GAA Board will contact Croke Park "to seek restoration" of the Masters Football competition, James Waldron told last week's meeting.
A Ballaghaderreen delegate said that Mayo Over-40s captain John Pat Sheridan was "the last man I heard speak with passion" about Mayo football. Mattie Murphy (Shrule/Glencorrib) and John Farragher (Garrymore) both expressed support for reinstating the competition.

ABP decision put back
MAYO GAA Board are "still waiting" for An Bord Pleanála's decision on the controversial aspects of the McHale Park development, Chairman James Waldron told last week's meeting. A decision was due on July 28, but is not now expected until early September.

Mayo All Whites?
MAYO should change the colour of their jersey, one supporter has suggested in a letter to Seán Feeney. Enda Coyne noted that the county had enjoyed All-Ireland success in an all-white jersey, and that with the 60th anniversary of those events now upon us, Mayo should adopt "a white design with green and red trim".

PICK A NUMBER
THE amount (in euro) which one pending GAA-related claim within Mayo could amount to, according to Paddy Muldoon.

QUOTE OF THE NIGHT
"I haven't seen a good fight in a match"
Swinford delegate (and referee) Peter Geraghty bemoans the lack of passion in Mayo football

Barney

So is it 20/8 or 3/9 for the nominations?

Either way it certainly seems the appointment (assuming there are nominations) is going to go ahead before any review.

Anybody know of who is going to be putting their hats in the ring and what is the story with the GAA's recommended process?

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: Barney on August 03, 2010, 08:04:12 PM
Anybody know of who is going to be putting their hats in the ring and what is the story with the GAA's recommended process?

I hear Sligonian is going to throw his hat in the ring for the Mayo job.

joemamas

Quote from: Peter Solan the Great on August 03, 2010, 05:06:55 PM
Quote from: Farrandeelin on August 03, 2010, 03:47:44 PM

There was some ruptions alright. The mayo news have the Gossip

Nominations sought for manager's job

MAYO COUNTY BOARD MEETING
Daniel Carey
Castlebar

ANYONE interested in becoming the next Mayo senior football manager must apply before August 20, Chairman James Waldron told last Thursday's meeting of Mayo GAA Board.
Announcing the closing date for nominations, The Neale clubman said all proposals from clubs "must be accompanied by a letter" from the person interested in the job. A committee to appoint the next manager will then be set up in accordance with criteria suggested by GAA Headquarters.
Waldron agreed with a Ballaghaderreen delegate who suggested that prospective managers "should outline their vision" for Mayo football. Secretary Seán Feeney added that members of the Board "may also nominate" candidates provided their application includes such a vision. Mick Higgins (Kiltimagh) suggested that the next manager should come "from within the county".
Responding to a question from John Farragher (Garrymore), the Chairman said that rumours of payments to Mickey Moran and John Morrison at the time of their departures in 2006 were "pure melodeon". JP Lambe added that there were "no underhand payments to anyone" during his time as Treasurer.

Review goes back to clubs
CLUBS have been told to discuss the state of football in Mayo and bring proposals to a meeting of their local divisional board to be held by September 6. That was the outcome of a lengthy and sometimes meandering discussion at last week's County Board meeting on the review of Mayo football.
The review, proposed after the senior inter-county team's shock defeat by Longford, will "go back to the clubs" and be discussed at divisional board level before a "strategy to go forward" is compiled, Chairman James Waldron told the meeting. "Go back, talk to your clubs, make submissions, and we'll get committees in place," advised The Neale clubman.
The Executive, County Board, Bord na nÓg, the club structure, divisional boards and the progression from minor to under-21 to senior level should all be examined, said Waldron, who noted: "We have to look at everything".
The early part of the debate centred on underage football before one delegate focused on the adult scene, saying: "2010 was a disgrace from a senior football point of view ... There were lads wearing Mayo jerseys who didn't want to be there ... There's no point asking us to sell County Board tickets next February if we don't have answers."
Richard Cosgrove (Kiltane) said that after the 2006 All-Ireland final, the "lack of physicality" among Mayo players had been noted at a County Board meeting. "What did we do since then to rectify that?" he asked. James Waldron replied that all Mayo panel members were given gym programmes, and Coaching Officer Hugh Rudden said a strength and conditioning programme had been introduced for under-17s.
Aidan Brennan (Claremorris) said the County Board has become "totally ineffectual" and meetings were a "waste of time". Most delegates "would tell you they have no say at all," said the former County Board PRO, who added that the divisional board had become "totally irrelevant". "The main committees of this county are not working, because they're not there," said Brennan, who suggested that the Executive "doesn't want meetings"'. Chairman James Waldron said he totally resented Brennan's comments, and said the workload undertaken by members of the Executive was "unbelievable".
"Nice guys will not win Sam Maguires," said South Board Chairman Mattie Joe Connolly, who called for a change in Mayo's "whole policy from underage level" and approvingly cited Roscommon's "courage and fight".
Pat McManamon (Burrishoole) said that Mayo were "not within shooting distance of Sam Maguire", and that the tone of the meeting suggested that "reality has finally dawned". Mayo were not in the top eight or top 12, he said, but were "a little better than the bottom five".
Amanda Doherty (Kilmaine) commented on the "huge division" in the County Board and said she hadn't "a notion" of being able to sell 60 or 70 Development Draw tickets next year. That point was echoed by Mattie Murphy (Shrule/Glencorrib), who mentioned the fine imposed on his club for not playing the O'Mara Cup final and mused: "If I went to sell County Board tickets in Shrule, I'd be shot going in the gate!"
Mick Higgins (Kiltimagh) said that he had "never heard such an air of negativity" at a County Board meeting before. "We're not Kilkenny footballers," he said. "We're a proud football county."

Review of Coaching and Games
BILLY McNicholas said the future of Mayo Coaching and Games should involve the immediate establishment of "an independent and meaningful" Review Group to review "all coaching and games structures, systems, policies and achievements".
The group should, the Mayo GAA Games Manager said, include representatives of Mayo County Board, Mayo Coaching and Games Development Committee, past and present club managers, coaches, players and administrators, media and other invited interested parties.
Such a review would, McNicholas predicted, "enhance" the "fantastic work" going on at underage level in the county. He made the comments after giving a short presentation on the work of Mayo Coaching and Games at the beginning of last Thursday's County Board meeting.
Mick Higgins (Kiltimagh) said the Mayo minor players of the last two years should be monitored now that many have gone off to college, beginning with the group who reached the 2008 All-Ireland final.
"Do we identify players at under-14 level as possible future county minors?" asked Games Promotion Officer Eugene Lavin. "That doesn't go on enough." But, he added, since 1993, 90 per cent of under-14s brought into the programme make it to minor.
Having elicited that only 15 per cent of under-14s entering the programme are able to use both feet and both hands, Mayo Bord na nÓg Chairman Mike Connelly said a "win at all costs" attitude was "a huge problem", since young players were not being taught the skills of the game.
Eugene Lavin said the "real issue" was what happened after minor level. "I don't think lack of skill was the reason we lost games this year," he added.

Over-40s competition
MAYO GAA Board will contact Croke Park "to seek restoration" of the Masters Football competition, James Waldron told last week's meeting.
A Ballaghaderreen delegate said that Mayo Over-40s captain John Pat Sheridan was "the last man I heard speak with passion" about Mayo football. Mattie Murphy (Shrule/Glencorrib) and John Farragher (Garrymore) both expressed support for reinstating the competition.

ABP decision put back
MAYO GAA Board are "still waiting" for An Bord Pleanála's decision on the controversial aspects of the McHale Park development, Chairman James Waldron told last week's meeting. A decision was due on July 28, but is not now expected until early September.

Mayo All Whites?
MAYO should change the colour of their jersey, one supporter has suggested in a letter to Seán Feeney. Enda Coyne noted that the county had enjoyed All-Ireland success in an all-white jersey, and that with the 60th anniversary of those events now upon us, Mayo should adopt "a white design with green and red trim".

PICK A NUMBER
THE amount (in euro) which one pending GAA-related claim within Mayo could amount to, according to Paddy Muldoon.

QUOTE OF THE NIGHT
"I haven't seen a good fight in a match"
Swinford delegate (and referee) Peter Geraghty bemoans the lack of passion in Mayo football

Kind of reminds of the line in the WHO song "meet the new boss same as the old boss"

Some of the characters quoted in the above piece are part of the problem not the solution, makes you want to laugh and then cry.

stephenite

It was only yesterday whilst stuck in traffic on the harbour bridge that I was thinking that reverting to a white jersey is the way to go

Never beat the deeler

Sounds like there was an unmerciful amount of bitching going on at the CB meeting, but did any of the people quoted offer anything constructive? Its easy to say 'this is wrong' and 'that is wrong'. but we (they) need to look forward and discuss the way out of this mess.

There's been more constructive discussion on here, it might do the CB some good to read whats been posted...
Hasta la victoria siempre

ballinaman

Quote from: stephenite on August 04, 2010, 01:32:27 AM
It was only yesterday whilst stuck in traffic on the harbour bridge that I was thinking that reverting to a white jersey is the way to go
Take alot more than a colour change as you know but it's not a bad idea alright. Time to do it was in the 06 final if ever there was one.

Some amount of bitchin and finger pointing there as deeler has noted. No review before the manager appointment is balls, seem to be passing the buck big time.

Logan

I think that's great for Mayo football

Some home truths being spoken there. Get it all out in the open, a bit of abuse and bloodletting will be good for Mayo in the long run.

Better have it all out in the open than behind the door.