Started by Barney, June 06, 2010, 09:39:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Who would you like to see as Mayo Manager in 2010

James Horan
Tommy Lyons
Anthony McGarry
John Maughan

moysider

Lists are scary at the best of times. That the same board will be still in place to appoint the new manager is terrifying. I think it ll be 1 or a pair from the 'locker room'. Also there is some back scratching to be done re. the new stand development and funding sorted etc. Believe me the consideration will not be what s best for the Mayo team but what is best for the Mayo board.

If things were done properly they will get away from the culture of perrenial pain and failure. The lads who are the future dont even remember 96/97 and certainly don't want to have to listen to it. Get a man from outside. There is no tradition of coaching tactics in Mayo. We re off the cuff and that is why we re in the mess we re in. We dont need a roarer and a shouter. Even club management in Mayo, in my experience is more about rivalry and hate than tactics and gameplan. Anybody who was at the Ballina/Knockmore match recently would know what I mean. The Mayo canditates are a list of open wounds. Graduates of the House Of Pain. Forget about them. I ve said it elsewhere. It ll be a disaster to go pick another one from that culture of hurt and resentment. We need a fresh positive upbeat approach. Brolly said a manager should come from within a county because they know the culture. Thats fine if you have a winning culture like Kilkenny, Kerry, Cork and some others. Winners breed winners.

stephenite

You can't coach passion, you can't coach hunger. That appears to primarily what is missing.

blast05

Quote from: stephenite on June 28, 2010, 02:45:44 PM
You can't coach passion, you can't coach hunger. That appears to primarily what is missing.

Not so sure i agree.

I think the players have it but are consumed by fear of making mistakes which comes from a losing culture over the last almost 60 years where expectations are far higher than they ought to be.

Think 2006 when Jack O'Connor said after the match that Kerry hunger after 1 year was greater than Mayos after 50+. I think that was complete BS. That Mayo team had a huge amount of hunger in the semi-final but were consumed by fear in the final .... fear of success, fear of our past performance in finals re-occurring, fear of the Kerry tradition, etc etc.

Even in Longford on Saturday evening fear was the dominant undercurrent  from my view of it - from Freemans first free from 25 metres that dropped short with the wind on his back to the fear in having to kick for a score that Donal Vaughan showed in injury time that would probably have won it for us.

It will take a fresh voice to break this cycle ... like another John Maughan factor in '96. He arrived with no baggage, with an air of positivity, with a confidence that in time rubbed off the players. He may have been a poor coach but was a great manager. Who can fill that mantle now ?  ....... i can't believe i'm saying this but the little ferret below in Ventry ticks those boxes.

stephenite

Quote from: blast05 on June 28, 2010, 02:56:28 PM

Not so sure i agree.

I think the players have it but are consumed by fear of making mistakes which comes from a losing culture over the last almost 60 years where expectations are far higher than they ought to be.

Think 2006 when Jack O'Connor said after the match that Kerry hunger after 1 year was greater than Mayos after 50+. I think that was complete BS. That Mayo team had a huge amount of hunger in the semi-final but were consumed by fear in the final .... fear of success, fear of our past performance in finals re-occurring, fear of the Kerry tradition, etc etc.

Even in Longford on Saturday evening fear was the dominant undercurrent  from my view of it - from Freemans first free from 25 metres that dropped short with the wind on his back to the fear in having to kick for a score that Donal Vaughan showed in injury time that would probably have won it for us.

It will take a fresh voice to break this cycle ... like another John Maughan factor in '96. He arrived with no baggage, with an air of positivity, with a confidence that in time rubbed off the players. He may have been a poor coach but was a great manager. Who can fill that mantle now ?  ....... i can't believe i'm saying this but the little ferret below in Ventry ticks those boxes.

That little ferret has plenty of baggage-ask Clare.

Out from that you're making some valid points, there has to be somebody out there. I'd personally love to see Colm O'Rourke take the Mayo job, but no chance. I think it should be someone from inside because I don't think we'll get any serious contenders from outside that would be willing to do it.

AbbeySider

Quote from: stephenite on June 27, 2010, 11:47:56 AM
Quote from: Barney on June 27, 2010, 10:28:49 AM
Names that are going to be listed as possible contenders:

Noel Connelly
Pat Holmes
David Brady
Liam McHale
James Horan
Kevin McStay
John Maughan
Peter Forde

And probably some others that are just not coming to mind. There should be no reason why we cannot get the right combination of 3/4 capable men to work together so that Mayo fulfil may fulfil its potential.

To that list.

Noel Connelly - I wouldn't have a problem with this man appointed manager.
Pat Holmes - If he's to be involved, it needs to be as a selector under Connelly. The Senior job needs a manager not a team effort and I wouldn't like to see Pat being the manager.
David Brady - In a word, no. Does not yet have the experience to be an inter county manager, if a manager wants him as a selector it would be a good move.
Liam McHale - Might a goer, but I don't think he'd pass a county board as it currently stands.
James Horan - Like Brady but with a bit more managerial experience, it could be a dream move but I think it's too risky.
Kevin McStay - No. I would like to see him involved, but not as the manager.
John Maughan - No. We can't keep going back to John Maughan
Peter Forde - Would be my first choice as manager, would be ideal if he had Noel Connelly and either DB or James Horan as selectors.

http://mayosports.wordpress.com/2010/06/27/mayo-live-by-the-sword-die-by-the-sword/

Thats some hard-hitting stuff in that article Barney... who writes that?
Its amazing when you see it all put together and written. Its a no holes barred piece.

Anyway regarding the choice of managers and you list:

Noel Connelly - I think he is a shoe in, but its his selectors and backroom team that needs to be right (more on this later)
Pat Holmes - I never rated Holmes as a manager or a player. I havnt heard a good word for him by anyone than has played under him which is worrying.
David Brady - His heart is in the right place but I dont think he has the head for it. Lacks any managerial experience. I think he is a hilarious pundit though.
Liam McHale - Cant see this one either. I think he was fishing for it around the time or M&M and he had no chance.
James Horan - He has to deliver us the Paddy Moclaire cup before he tries to deliver Mayo Sam. I wouldnt rule him out in the future for the Mayo job after some more experience and a few Moclair cup's coming to Ballintubber.
Kevin McStay - Liked him as a player but I dont rate him as a manager. Did some awful things when he was Mayo U21 manager and frankly isnt cut out for it. Not a bad pundit though.
John Maughan - He would certainly bring back some colour and instil some steel back in Mayo.
Peter Forde - Its hard to know with Ford. he is doing Ok with Castlebar but is there a shadow over his relationship with the county board?

My dream managerial team would be:

Manager: Noel Connelly
Selectors: James Nallen, Tommy Jordan

Or something to that effect

AZOffaly

If connelly is the man, would Ray Dempsey be worth putting in there with him. A young up and coming coach/manager to learn the ropes and take over in 2-3 years when Connelly leaves?

Mac2

Surely to christ we can find someone within the county to make a fist of it and we don't need huge backroom teams filled with all types of charlatans who are in it for themselves. One thing for sure we do need a backs coach, we haven't defended properly for years, someone like Kevin Cahill who had great positional sense and understood that defending was the first priority of a back.

blast05

QuoteThats some hard-hitting stuff in that article Barney... who writes that?

A Dara Calleary backing Ballina man................

moysider

Quote from: blast05 on June 28, 2010, 02:56:28 PM

Not so sure i agree.

Correct blast05. I often remember passion being the only thing that we had. It only gets you so far. Y know last 2 games we came out fired up and were well into it early on. But you need a lot more than just passion and hunger. Every team has that, or should have. No point going to an orgy without a hard-on. You re right. There was a fear and tightness about Mayo in Longford that was crippling. The Longford players would have had it sussed immediately. Roaring and shouting in dressing rooms only gets you so far. Players need to be given a plan and individual roles, not a cut of an ash plant goin out the dressing room door. Likes of AOS last evening was not given any role in the match that anybody could see. Played right he could have been a matchwinner instead of a passenger.

Not sure about the ferret bit though.

saffronandblue

For God sake if we are to go down the road of Noel Connelly we are finished :(......he may be the chosen one in the same way as he got the contract on the McHale Park job............he should stick to the building game though....from what I have heard from players who have played under him, his style is one dimensional and involves fire and brimstone ranting in the half hour before players leave the dressing room.  If that is what we need then I can think of a hundred lads and women on the terraces in Knockmore who could do that.

We need some serious operator from outside who brings with them a winning habit.  If they want a stand out player from the 90's to run the team then look no further than James Nallen.  Respected, intelligent, even if he is from Crossmolina ;D ;D

Quote from: AbbeySider on June 28, 2010, 03:06:39 PM

Noel Connelly
Pat Holmes
David Brady
Liam McHale
James Horan
Kevin McStay
John Maughan
Peter Forde

And probably some others that are just not coming to mind. There should be no reason why we cannot get the right combination of 3/4 capable men to work together so that Mayo fulfil may fulfil its potential.

To that list.

Pat Holmes - If he's to be involved, it needs to be as a selector under Connelly. The Senior job needs a manager not a team effort and I wouldn't like to see Pat being the manager.
David Brady - In a word, no. Does not yet have the experience to be an inter county manager, if a manager wants him as a selector it would be a good move.
Liam McHale - Might a goer, but I don't think he'd pass a county board as it currently stands.
James Horan - Like Brady but with a bit more managerial experience, it could be a dream move but I think it's too risky.
Peter Forde - Would be my first choice as manager, would be ideal if he had Noel Connelly and either DB or James Horan as selectors.

http://mayosports.wordpress.com/2010/06/27/mayo-live-by-the-sword-die-by-the-sword/

Its amazing when you see it all put together and written. Its a no holes barred piece.

Noel Connelly - I think he is a shoe in, but its his selectors and backroom team that needs to be right (more on this later)
Pat Holmes - I never rated Holmes as a manager or a player. I havnt heard a good word for him by anyone than has played under him which is worrying.
David Brady - His heart is in the right place but I dont think he has the head for it. Lacks any managerial experience. I think he is a hilarious pundit though.
Liam McHale - Cant see this one either. I think he was fishing for it around the time or M&M and he had no chance.
James Horan - He has to deliver us the Paddy Moclaire cup before he tries to deliver Mayo Sam. I wouldnt rule him out in the future for the Mayo job after some more experience and a few Moclair cup's coming to Ballintubber.
Kevin McStay - Liked him as a player but I dont rate him as a manager. Did some awful things when he was Mayo U21 manager and frankly isnt cut out for it. Not a bad pundit though.
John Maughan - He would certainly bring back some colour and instil some steel back in Mayo.
Peter Forde - Its hard to know with Ford. he is doing Ok with Castlebar but is there a shadow over his relationship with the county board?

moysider

Quote from: blast05 on June 28, 2010, 03:25:19 PM

No. He s not a Ballina man.

saffronandblue

I can think of only one outsider.......a hardie wee monn called Peter'The Great' Canavan.

Would love to see him getting a shot at some of our boys........

muppet

What is the point of arguing about something that may or may not have happened during the appointment of Johnno, now that he is gone? It never ceases to amaze me that we are always looking backwards and wonder why our team isn't going forwards. Time to move on and start working towards 2011 not looking back at 2006, 1997, 1996, 1951 etc.
MWWSI 2017

moysider

Quote from: saffronandblue on June 28, 2010, 07:38:17 PM
For God sake if we are to go down the road of Noel Connelly we are finished :(......he may be the chosen one in the same way as he got the contract on the McHale Park job............he should stick to the building game though....from what I have heard from players who have played under him, his style is one dimensional and involves fire and brimstone ranting in the half hour before players leave the dressing room.  If that is what we need then I can think of a hundred lads and women on the terraces in Knockmore who could do that.

We need some serious operator from outside who brings with them a winning habit.  If they want a stand out player from the 90's to run the team then look no further than James Nallen.  Respected, intelligent, even if he is from Crossmolina ;D ;D

Quote from: AbbeySider on June 28, 2010, 03:06:39 PM

Noel Connelly
Pat Holmes
David Brady
Liam McHale
James Horan
Kevin McStay
John Maughan
Peter Forde

To that list.

Agree regarding Connelly. Very much a warm up act from what I heard. More worryingly apart from year 1 the Holmes/Connelly u21 campaigns were poor enough. Watery capitulations outside the province (stuff we ve been trying to get away from for years) and one very lucky strike v Ros in 09. We need to look at the whole picture rather than isolating one success at the begining of a 4 year term. Also some of the selections and performences were questionable.

bucko

Quote from: muppet on June 28, 2010, 08:04:35 PM

What is the point of arguing about something that may or may not have happened during the appointment of Johnno, now that he is gone? It never ceases to amaze me that we are always looking backwards and wonder why our team isn't going forwards. Time to move on and start working towards 2011 not looking back at 2006, 1997, 1996, 1951 etc.
I agree about looking forwards, my fear is that the county board will leave appointing a manager until the end of the year after the club season is over, thus denying the next manager the chance to indentify possible options in the club leagues/championships. The next guy in the job has a huge challenge, firstly to pick a squad and then to rebuild the confidence of squadmembers from the last 4 years, not to mention figuring out team and positional selections. It's going to take time so the sooner the appointment is made the better IMO.