Started by Barney, June 06, 2010, 09:39:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Who would you like to see as Mayo Manager in 2010

James Horan
Tommy Lyons
Anthony McGarry
John Maughan

muscles magoo

James Horan has been managing Ballintubber for the past couple of years. Connelly was managing the U-21 county team along with Pat Holmes for four years and won an All-Ireland with them in 2006.

moysider

While I have great time for all of the former players mentioned here I believe none should be considered for the job in the foreseeable future. All of them are suffering from 'House of Pain' syndrome, and with the best of intentions would only produce more of the same. We need somebody with a more harder, practical approach. Saying that we also need a man that can communicate players and not be suspicious and distrustful. We need a coach who can also pick a team. We don t need a guy with a big stick and a scowl on his face. mayo football used to be a thing of wonder even when we lost. We need to get some of the joy back. Anyway this is all a bit premature. Johnno has nt decided its the right time to go yet. The board will have to give him a bit of a nudge. The fact that the development in Castlebar is costing ( I heard a figure of E600,000pa in interest) a lot, and was empty for the league and no championship match til next summer earliest has probably sealed his fate already. A new beginning will be put in place before next year s league to revive attendances. A big name will be needed to do that.

Foreverhopeful

Quote from: Zulu on June 14, 2010, 09:24:09 PM
Being an ex-player is no guarantee that you'll be a good manager or selector. None of the players you have mentioned have any managerial experience and it would be madness to involve anymore than one of them in any future management set up. I'd be more inclined to look at managers involved at club level in Mayo for the past few years, they'd have a much better idea of the abilities of most Mayo footballers than a recently retired IC player.
.                    Who has kevin walsh, sloyan, Taylor, durcan managed? Mcgeeney? Glen Ryan?the 4 lads together could pit all their wits together, house of pain shit is rubbish, James horan for one is too clever to be wallowing in that crap. d Brady will have moved on, at the very least they know how the game has changed

Hardy

moysider

Quote from: Foreverhopeful on June 14, 2010, 10:45:42 PM
Being an ex-player is no guarantee that you'll be a good manager or selector. None of the players you have mentioned have any managerial experience and it would be madness to involve anymore than one of them in any future management set up. I'd be more inclined to look at managers involved at club level in Mayo for the past few years, they'd have a much better idea of the abilities of most Mayo footballers than a recently retired IC player.
.                    Who has kevin walsh, sloyan, Taylor, durcan managed? Mcgeeney? Glen Ryan?the 4 lads together could pit all their wits together, house of pain shit is rubbish, James horan for one is too clever to be wallowing in that crap. d Brady will have moved on, at the very least they know how the game has changed

Kevin Walsh has no baggage having had a great career as a player. The Sligo lads with him were good players and may be able to manage a county team in the future too. McGeeney too may be the real deal. Ryan unfortunately seems to have got off on the wrong foot in Longford. The house of pain bullshit is unfortunately real and cleverness has nothing to do with it. Brady contributed his fair share of pain to that book and I don t believe any of them will ever move on. Not to say they cant be the answer same as maybe James Nallen could be the answer. The game has changed as it always does but it s the players that need to be up to speed as well as the manager. We need a coach who can do this. At the moment neither Manager or the players know what they are doing. Zulu is right about the ex-players. Horses don t make good jockeys and not all good ex-players make managers. The skills that made them great players are no good to them as managers. Looking at other sports, ( take American sports), wery few of the top coaches were great players. Managing/ coaching / picking a team is in the head. Kerry have had more success with a school teacher than the heroes of the golden era as managers. Mickey Harte  was no McGuigan, O Hagan, Donaghy, McKenna, McCabe. Don't be annoyed, nobody is dissing Horan or Brady. Just like to see them do a little bit more. Why didn't either show a bit of interest in the minor job. I just think we need to break up the addiction to defeat and pain. We could get lucky and strike gold. For those of us who never wanted the present guy we were constantly chided with who else is there. Well, Kevin Walsh might have been worth considering. Think we need to go outside the loop. I would not consider anybody who has managed us or played for one of our managers the  last 20 years. Too much baggage. Maybe Horan and Brady as selectors for an outsider like , for instance, a Kevin Walsh. No ranting or raving - just good management.

Foreverhopeful

Quote from: moysider on June 14, 2010, 11:28:43 PM
Quote from: Foreverhopeful on June 14, 2010, 10:45:42 PM

Kevin Walsh has no baggage having had a great career as a player. The Sligo lads with him were good players and may be able to manage a county team in the future too. McGeeney too may be the real deal. Ryan unfortunately seems to have got off on the wrong foot in Longford. The house of pain bullshit is unfortunately real and cleverness has nothing to do with it. Brady contributed his fair share of pain to that book and I don t believe any of them will ever move on. Not to say they cant be the answer same as maybe James Nallen could be the answer. The game has changed as it always does but it s the players that need to be up to speed as well as the manager. We need a coach who can do this. At the moment neither Manager or the players know what they are doing. Zulu is right about the ex-players. Horses don t make good jockeys and not all good ex-players make managers. The skills that made them great players are no good to them as managers. Looking at other sports, ( take American sports), wery few of the top coaches were great players. Managing/ coaching / picking a team is in the head. Kerry have had more success with a school teacher than the heroes of the golden era as managers. Mickey Harte  was no McGuigan, O Hagan, Donaghy, McKenna, McCabe. Don't be annoyed, nobody is dissing Horan or Brady. Just like to see them do a little bit more. Why didn't either show a bit of interest in the minor job. I just think we need to break up the addiction to defeat and pain. We could get lucky and strike gold. For those of us who never wanted the present guy we were constantly chided with who else is there. Well, Kevin Walsh might have been worth considering. Think we need to go outside the loop. I would not consider anybody who has managed us or played for one of our managers the  last 20 years. Too much baggage. Maybe Horan and Brady as selectors for an outsider like , for instance, a Kevin Walsh. No ranting or raving - just good management.

Foreverhopeful

We had the outsiders in m & m in 2006. I think it will be different for those lads when they are on the other side of the line. Accept your point moysider but I like the idea of having players who are in touch with the way football has changed.

moysider

Quote from: Foreverhopeful on June 14, 2010, 11:48:15 PM
We had the outsiders in m & m in 2006. I think it will be different for those lads when they are on the other side of the line. Accept your point moysider but I like the idea of having players who are in touch with the way football has changed.

And we had an outsider and a recent player with Jack O Shea but I dont think either party was ready for each other. M and M were brilliant for all of us. Best Summer I ever had following a Mayo team. They were dead men walking from April because of changes at the top table of the county board. The incoming junta did not like reminders of their previous about. 'relationship s between the board and management became strained'. Some day we ll find out how much it cost a certain political party  .. sorry... county board to get m&m to move on and keep schum.

Sure we got tanked in the final. But I did nt hear Willie Feely complaining about 'ladeens' at any CB meeting after last 4 years defeats. M and M were good for us - just that Kerry were way better than us. But they were good coaches and crucially  they actually liked the players and managed to put likes of McDonald, Brady, O Neill on the same pitch. And they played well together well after careers spent in the bear- pit of north Mayo football. Even Ger Brady played the football of his career for them.

We ve a better chance of being hit by lightening this Summer than getting to an AI final.

RogerMilla

Quote from: Ludraman on June 14, 2010, 07:02:42 PM
Quote from: RogerMilla on June 14, 2010, 04:00:14 PM
Quote from: myball22 on June 14, 2010, 03:45:52 PM

If Richard Bruton replaces Enda Kenny so there is now no chance of a Mayo Taoiseach, what are the chances that Johnno will be returned? I can't see it happening, he is going to have to work like crazy over the next two years to be re-elected and where does that leave the senior team.

Only winning Sam could retain his seat I would say!!!

look at enda kenny , winning sam would keep johhno and all his progeny in a seat for perpetuity

edna didnt win sam.....he jus lost his dick.

???

Barney

Do not want either Paidi or Micko if we go for an outsider.

If that is the course taken you want somebody hungry, dedicated, for a long-haul with a modern approach to the game.

But moysider is right a big name will be required to get the excitement going and with an attempt to eat into the debt - will the Board see that though.

RogerMilla

Quote from: Barney on June 15, 2010, 08:29:57 AM
Do not want either Paidi or Micko if we go for an outsider.

If that is the course taken you want somebody hungry, dedicated, for a long-haul with a modern approach to the game.

But moysider is right a big name will be required to get the excitement going and with an attempt to eat into the debt - will the Board see that though.

the fact is there has never been a better time to be in debt , you cant get any more credit so cant get further into the hole , the bank cant sell off mchale anyway as no one could buy the feckin place or develop it and the whole country is renegotiating debt , let them sort out a longer repayment period and if they have to pay a manager ( personally i would prefer an unpaid one) then they should be able to find funding for all his expenses.. the board need to get realisitic here , they have income streams so should be able to practically dictate to the financial backers...

joemamas

With all due respect to Longford.

This is a new low. Cannot really believe it, Depressing.

mannix

lets not have jom and co bullshit us any more, losing to a nobody like longford is the lowest of the low.
i will not ever listen to any more mayo talk as long as jom is in charge

Tatler Jack

Quote from: mannix on June 26, 2010, 08:41:02 PM
lets not have jom and co bullshit us any more, losing to a nobody like longford is the lowest of the low.

I heard Johnno on some radio programme today - real politician sort of guff. Politics and sport dont miss- unfortunately it has taken Mayo GAA 3 years and 4 c'ships to realise this,

Billys Boots

Quote from: mannix on June 26, 2010, 08:41:02 PM

Classy guy, I'm so happy for the likes of you.
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...