Started by Barney, June 06, 2010, 09:39:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Who would you like to see as Mayo Manager in 2010

James Horan
Tommy Lyons
Anthony McGarry
John Maughan

moysider

We don't know if the individual in question isn't paying his own way. If it is who I think it is then he travels regularly over. He has close family over there. However there are several officials who are paid over as well as their partners so why not him?

They re doing nothing wrong as such and its a free country, but I wonder if it wise for current players making unguarded comments on Facebook or Twitter?

AbbeySider

Quote from: moysider on October 07, 2010, 09:18:14 PM

We don't know if the individual in question isn't paying his own way. If it is who I think it is then he travels regularly over. He has close family over there. However there are several officials who are paid over as well as their partners so why not him?

They re doing nothing wrong as such and its a free country, but I wonder if it wise for current players making unguarded comments on Facebook or Twitter?

Whatever about players using FaceBook and Twitter, there should be a respect of their privacy and for their messages not being gossiped about on a public forum like this.

PSTG, unless you know for sure that that person isnt paying their own way have some tact and general cop on not to be posting such rubbish.

moysider

They d be well advised steer clear of these media. We ve had our share of poor judgment with interviews in the past. I know James Horan has a lot to be getting on with but one thing I think he should do is 'lock the doors'. It is time for Mayo to do the talking on the pitch. I dont want to read any interviews. Horan has indicated that we wont be hearing much from management. That s a good start. Don t want to hear from the players either. We re all able enough to see what s happening on the pitch. Time to get rid of the house of pain shite for good.

stephenite

Surely Dillon was only commenting because of Horan's involvment and just ensuring that the delegates and board knew what certain Senior players thought. Fairly easy to see through that one in fairness

muppet

Quote from: stephenite on October 07, 2010, 11:19:10 PM
Surely Dillon was only commenting because of Horan's involvment and just ensuring that the delegates and board knew what certain Senior players thought. Fairly easy to see through that one in fairness

Never cease to be amazed at an attitude within the Gaa that players should only be seen and not heard (or read).
MWWSI 2017

ballinaman

Quote from: moysider on October 07, 2010, 10:41:09 PM
They d be well advised steer clear of these media. We ve had our share of poor judgment with interviews in the past. I know James Horan has a lot to be getting on with but one thing I think he should do is 'lock the doors'. It is time for Mayo to do the talking on the pitch. I dont want to read any interviews. Horan has indicated that we wont be hearing much from management. That s a good start. Don t want to hear from the players either. We re all able enough to see what s happening on the pitch. Time to get rid of the house of pain shite for good.

True that. Don't want to see another Mort or McGarrity interview ever again....

moysider

Yeah, true. There s is no doubt that he is only one of a few 'Senior' players that is secure and he may well have had a stir at things. But the more recent, and since removed, comments would suggest that maybe these guys should be a bit more careful. I can t imagine any manager tolerating players being loose on these forums.
As an aside though, Mayo is a panel without senior players. I mean ones that can be sure they will be required in 8 months time. Dillon and Higgins about it.

moysider

Quote from: muppet on October 07, 2010, 11:49:03 PM

Never cease to be amazed at an attitude within the Gaa that players should only be seen and not heard (or read).

In the case of Mayo recently they are only heard or read. Because they are not seen -  being dumped on their holes  early summer, before anybody bothers to pay attention.

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Personally I think Mayo should take an approach of a newly formed team, start from scratch. Those from previous regimes, O'Mahoney, Morrison, Maughan etc. good enough will rise to the task and be obvious choices, K.Higgins, Clarke, O'Malley (Goals),  Dillon.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

Peter Solan the Great

Quote from: AbbeySider on October 07, 2010, 10:27:46 PM
Quote from: moysider on October 07, 2010, 09:18:14 PM

Whatever about players using FaceBook and Twitter, there should be a respect of their privacy and for their messages not being gossiped about on a public forum like this.

PSTG, unless you know for sure that that person isnt paying their own way have some tact and general cop on not to be posting such rubbish.
#

What a load of bollox, the only reason your sprouting it is because your from Ballintubber. Twitter is a public blog, if he didnt want those comments in the public domain he should have sent a text message or an e-mail. he made those comments in a public domain. He could of been shouting it from the rooftops of Castlebar for what its worth its the same thing as posting it on twitter.

boosabum

Dillion had made noises when the whole process started, before anyone had expressed interest in the job, that there should be a player representitave involved in picking a new manager. That was never a runner. Maybe that's why he considered the process a joke.

Tubberman

Twitter - caused big controversy in politics with Simon Coveney about Cowen, now with Alan Dillon re county board!

People are posting tweets like a text or email, but as one political commentator was saying, it's a public statement so should be treated like a press release. It has the potential to cause a lot of trouble, so you need to be careful about what you post.
I'm sure the player's know that, they're intelligent lads - maybe they want to get their point across to the co board.

But in case the posts were made without thinking of the mass audience, I don't think it's fair to be discussing them here really (yes, I'm aware of the irony that I'm posting about them  :)
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

mannix

AbbeySider

Quote from: mannix on October 08, 2010, 01:31:17 PM
More unecessary attention.

+1

Nice to see some humility words of support from the Lyons camp:

Lyons urges supporters to back Horan
Former Dublin manager Tommy Lyons
07 October 2010

One of the front runners for the Mayo football manager's job, Tommy Lyons has urged the county's supporters to get behind James Horan as he bids to restore some pride in the jersey.

The 2010 campaign was one to forget for Mayo supporters as the senior team exited both the Connacht championship and All-Ireland qualifiers at the first hurdle.

Following John O'Mahony's resignation from the position, the race was on to see who the county board would appoint and they have handed the opportunity to Horan ahead of Lyons.

However, the RTE analyst feels that Horan is well equipped to do the job, if he gets the backing of everyone in the county and he has stressed that it will take time to turn things around.

"James Horan was a fantastic footballer for his county, he's a fine young manager and he needs to get total support from all sections of Mayo to give him the best possible chance," said Lyons.

"A big issue is that they start every year talking about winning the All-Ireland, when they haven't won it for nearly 60 years. They need to focus on getting to Croke Park for the August Bank Holiday weekend. Mayo can't look beyond that, they supporters need to stop putting up blocks. It took Cork five goes to win an All-Ireland, how does Mayo think they can go up and win it in the next year or two."