I am Pro-union

Started by Lady GAA GAA, June 02, 2010, 03:25:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nally Stand

Quote from: Zapatista on June 03, 2010, 12:03:00 AM
Quote from: Nally Stand on June 02, 2010, 11:57:03 PM

O'Neill's comment about deaths in vain might have been slightly tongue in cheek, but a lot of men died Ireland's right to freedom. I really would hate to think they died in vain and hate to think that I would betray their ideals.

Don't forget the women who died.

What about the men and women who died trying toprotect the Union? Should their ideals be betrayed?

I can't betray ideals that I don't share.
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

passedit

Quote from: Zapatista on June 02, 2010, 11:42:47 PM
Quote from: passedit on June 02, 2010, 11:35:58 PM
O Neill has a point. One thing life teaches you is to play the hand you're dealt not the one you wish you got. as things stand, the best bet for the majority of nationalists is de facto JA with a nationalist majority at stormount. Why risk civil war so that a different bunch of cnts can stick their hand in your pocket? We have a lot more in common with our planter neighbours than the splitters and provided we don't make the same mistakes the planters made, it could work.

Who gives a bollocks about who we have the most in common with? We live in a multi-clutural society either way. I have neighbours I have nothing in common with. The fact that they are Polish helps explain that but I still live happily beside them as I do with travelers.

The fact they are your neighbours means you have plenty in common with them. More than with the splitters anyways.
Don't Panic

Zapatista

Quote from: passedit on June 03, 2010, 12:05:25 AM
The fact they are your neighbours means you have plenty in common with them. More than with the splitters anyways.

Like what? We don't even share the same language. And the moslems down the road I have even less in common with.

None of this is true I'm just making a point.

passedit

spell it out cos i'm not getting it
Don't Panic

Zapatista

Quote from: passedit on June 03, 2010, 12:14:20 AM
spell it out cos i'm not getting it

Quote from: passedit on June 02, 2010, 11:35:58 PM
We have a lot more in common with our planter neighbours than the splitters and provided we don't make the same mistakes the planters made, it could work.

My point is that we don't need to have something in common to share a State.

Myles Na G.

Quote from: Zapatista on June 02, 2010, 11:55:51 PM
Quote from: Yer Ma on June 02, 2010, 11:54:50 PM
While it obviously stirs a bit of controversy, the idea of Catholics/Nationalists not being too bothered by Northern Ireland continuing as a state is hardly new. If you take away the romantic side of it, is there anything that attractive about a UI? Even including the romantic side of things, is it worth the impact on your day to day life it might undoubtedly have? What would improve by having a UI? Ireland may as well be Britain given the fascination with their TV and pop culture.

It would make it more difficult for the brits to kill you.
What's the weather like on Planet Zap?

Zapatista

Quote from: Myles Na G. on June 03, 2010, 07:22:39 AM
What's the weather like on Planet Zap?

I wasn't entirely serious ;)

thejuice

Is there really such a gulf in cultural differences between Nationalists in the North and us southern splitters? I'm really not seeing it myself.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

ziggysego

Quote from: thejuice on June 03, 2010, 08:47:52 AM
Is there really such a gulf in cultural differences between Nationalists in the North and us southern splitters? I'm really not seeing it myself.

Can't say I've noticed any.
Testing Accessibility

Tony Baloney

Straw hats, youse can't say thirty three and a third properly etc. People with personalised number plates in the north won't want a united Ireland with your poxy logical car registration system.

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Quote from: Yer Ma on June 02, 2010, 11:54:50 PM
While it obviously stirs a bit of controversy, the idea of Catholics/Nationalists not being too bothered by Northern Ireland continuing as a state is hardly new. If you take away the romantic side of it, is there anything that attractive about a UI? Even including the romantic side of things, is it worth the impact on your day to day life it might undoubtedly have? What would improve by having a UI? Ireland may as well be Britain given the fascination with their TV and pop culture.

I would be pro union, unified Ireland of course.

Of course having a UI makes sense, one economic unit, no more cross border wastage, massive tourism potential, fantastically educated workforce to name a few..
Remember so far this year the brits have asked stormont to make half a billion in savings from a block grant of only 8 billion and everyone agrees that this is only the start of even bigger cuts to come, so the gravy train that kept the sick counties afloat is running out of track rapidily. The great health service is being stripped to the bones and alot of people (in a position to do so) in the north are now taking out private health insurance, unemployment is on the way up in the north as public sector has to shrink and the private sector is well tiny, Ireland up to recently had more then 50 of the fortune 500 companies operating (fair enough that number has dropped over the last 3 years but is still bigger then the norths (poss. none?). 
Tbc....

Billys Boots

QuoteO Neill has a point. One thing life teaches you is to play the hand you're dealt not the one you wish you got. as things stand, the best bet for the majority of nationalists is de facto JA with a nationalist majority at stormount. Why risk civil war so that a different bunch of cnts can stick their hand in your pocket? We have a lot more in common with our planter neighbours than the splitters and provided we don't make the same mistakes the planters made, it could work.

Passedit can't live with the idea of being told what to do by Kerrymen off-the-field (as well as on it).
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

nifan

QuoteIreland up to recently had more then 50 of the fortune 500 companies operating (fair enough that number has dropped over the last 3 years but is still bigger then the norths (poss. none?).

The north will certainly have some - Du pont, allstate, liberty,  and citigroup certainly.
Possibly others.

A Quinn Martin Production

Quote from: Tony Baloney on June 03, 2010, 09:32:04 AM
Straw hats, youse can't say thirty three and a third properly etc. People with personalised number plates in the north won't want a united Ireland with your poxy logical car registration system.

Blanket defence...blanket men...
Antrim - One Of A Dying Breed of Genuine Dual Counties

Billys Boots

Quoteyouse can't say thirty three and a third properly etc.

Yeah, but we can say sixty-six and a sixth.  ;)
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...