Unsavoury langauge at GAA games.

Started by mournerambler, June 01, 2010, 09:52:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mournerambler

I think it's about time the powers that be got tough on the totally unappropriate language used by supporters at GAA matches.
The 'Respect' initiative is a step in the right direction but the language that my 10 year old + every other child & indeed adult had to listen to at last Sunday's game in Ballybofey was disgusting to say the least, the prat that was the main offender was of the opinion that because he had paid in, he was entitled to shout whatever he wanted, that was until he & I had an exchange of words which thankfully nipped it in the bud.
Does anyone else have reservations about bringing children to games due to the use of bad language by some sections of so called 'supporters', I for one definately do.

Gaffer

These people to whom you refer are ignorant gulpins of the highest order.

They want their frends/ neighbours to notice them and think what a passionate/die hard GAA person they are!!

Arseholes if you ask me!!!
"Well ! Well ! Well !  If it ain't the Smoker !!!"

red hander

Maybe then somebody should have a word with wee Jamsie for he was clearly heard to shout 'for f**k's sake' in front of a live TV audience after a Donegal man kicked the ball away when it went over the sideline

mournerambler

Agreed Gaffer, anyone can have a slip off the tongue but it was the persistent use of bad language by this particular person that annoyed me, coupled with the constant use of the word 'c-nt' (which I detest) just pushed me over the edge, as you said, yes he was with a group of about 10 so he was obviously trying to act the large fella in front of his cronies.

Gaffer

Quote from: hardstation on June 01, 2010, 10:03:35 PM
Quote from: Gaffer on June 01, 2010, 10:02:27 PM
These people to whom you refer are ignorant gulpins of the highest order.

They want their frends/ neighbours to notice them and think what a passionate/die hard GAA person they are!!

Arseholes if you ask me!!!
Knock that on the head!

Why?

paco

Enjoyed hearing someone at the Derry and Armagh game a few weeks ago being heard on TV shouting "referee, ya yella bastard" :D

Gaffer

Quote from: hardstation on June 01, 2010, 10:12:52 PM
That's a bad word, Gaffer. It's people like you who drag our association into the gutter.

Wise up, Hardstation !!! I just had a quick look through some of your previous posts. Plenty of bad words!!

What's rhe matter with ye?

Orior

Quote from: Gaffer on June 01, 2010, 10:18:16 PM
That's a bad word, Gaffer. It's people like you who drag our association into the gutter.

Wise up, Hardstation !!!

He's right you know, Gaffer.

To be fair, I think the language has got better in the last few years. For example, at Casement the other week, I never heard one foul word. In fact I was well entertained by the young fellas behind me trying to commentate on the game and then wolf whistle at some girls and fail miserably at chatting them up.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

ONeill

The women are worse. Especially from Ardboe/Moortown/Windmill/Lurgan/Galbally/Lisnaskea/Knockloughrim.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

thewobbler

More nanny state type of nonsense if you ask me.

Kids curse. They don't learn to curse because of Gaelic Games, but because there are c***ts, bastards and f**kers everywhere.

You'll be asking for a deck of the rosary at half time next.

paco

Quote from: ONeill on June 01, 2010, 10:28:15 PM
The women are worse. Especially from Ardboe/Moortown/Windmill/Lurgan/Galbally/Lisnaskea/Knockloughrim.

Don't think there's too many GAA women round Knockloughrim ONeill!

Gaffer

Quote from: Orior on June 01, 2010, 10:26:37 PM
Quote from: Gaffer on June 01, 2010, 10:18:16 PM

Wise up, Hardstation !!!

He's right you know, Gaffer.

To be fair, I think the language has got better in the last few years. For example, at Casement the other week, I never heard one foul word. In fact I was well entertained by the young fellas behind me trying to commentate on the game and then wolf whistle at some girls and fail miserably at chatting them up.

I ll wait till the moderators tell me then !!

ONeill

Quote from: paco on June 01, 2010, 10:41:26 PM
Quote from: ONeill on June 01, 2010, 10:28:15 PM

Don't think there's too many GAA women round Knockloughrim ONeill!

I'm just saying they've a dorty way of talking.

By the way, I agree with Gaffer. Show those shower of fcukers the red card.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

mournerambler

Quote from: thewobbler on June 01, 2010, 10:28:29 PM
More nanny state type of nonsense if you ask me.
Kids curse. They don't learn to curse because of Gaelic Games, but because there are c***ts, b**tards and f**kers everywhere.

You'll be asking for a deck of the rosary at half time next.

Catch a grip of yourself thewobbler, do you have kids yourself?
Kids or adults should not be subjected to what I heard on Sunday at a game of Gaelic Football.

dundrumite

As a regular attender of both GAA and Rugby I can see a world of difference in the games as a whole.
In Gaelic, Players on the field curse and abuse referees, managers along the line curse and abuse referees,  and supporters curse and gulder at everyone.
This in direct comparassion to rugby games I have attended, where players have greater discipline and respect for the men in black, managers and supporters in general, also seem to show a greater verbal restraint.
As thewobbler pointed out, kids do curse but if they see adults verbally abusing others in a care free manner at a match, they will see this as acceptable behaviour and continue to spread what is IMO a cancer in our sport.
Maybe I am being part of a "nanny state" but a repsect for all ethos has to be pushed in our games. This has to start on the field and along the line as the GAA has more control over players and mentors, than it does have off those who attend matches.
Granted slips of the tongues do occur in moments of frustration and is part and parcel of sport, but those who persistently are seen to be at this need to be drawn into line.