Down v Tyrone Ulster Championship- Setting The Record Straight !

Started by thegael, May 30, 2010, 08:03:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Down South

Quote from: Leo on June 01, 2010, 03:01:20 PM
Quote from: yellowcard on June 01, 2010, 01:46:56 PM
Tyrone will win this game quite easily and set up an Armagh v Tyrone Ulster final. That Tyrone forward line will be licking their lips at the prospect of coming up against that Down defence, which is one of the poorest in Ulster.

If we are setting the record straight maybe we should do so about the much maligned Down defence. While someway short of the finished article let's remember that this was the best defence in all four divisions of the National League. This is the defence that kept Michael Murpohy scorelss on Sunday and restricted to a single point from play earlier in the year at Ballybofey.

The defence has lacked a natural leader for some time but it does look like Colgan is growing into that role in his first real season of senior football. Garvey is competent enough at wing half and there are options to come back from injury including Duffin, Carr and, preferably, Murphy & Doyle. The main concern here is McKernan who is a good athlete but prone to lazy passes, rash tackles and going to sleep - again however he is a relative newcomer and this is the first he has played in a settled position.
The full back line on Sunday has had practically no game time in weeks, both McArdle & Rafferty being injured and Declan Rooney only coming in for his first county game of the year. Anyone who disputes Rafferty's quality hasn't been watching him much and I think the decision to deploy McArdle in defence has been vindicated and he gets better with every game. He will probably revert to the square when fully fit and I can see him doing a good job there for years, given the chance. That leaves the other corner between Daniel McCartan, Rooney, possibly young O'Hagan who looks a real prospect and maybe with luck another returnee Luke Howard.

There are very few teams about with a dominant high-fielding full back and we could be doing with one, but in the meantime what we do have is a well-drilled defence that has proven itself against the critics and has options for improvement as the season goes on – which it assuredly will.
The full back line on Sunday has had practically no game time in weeks, both McArdle & Rafferty being injured and Declan Rooney only coming in for his first county game of the year. Anyone who disputes Rafferty's quality hasn't been watching him much and I think the decision to deploy McArdle in defence has been vindicated and he gets better with every game. He will probably revert to the square when fully fit and I can see him doing a good job there for years, given the chance. That leaves the other corner between Daniel McCartan, Rooney, possibly young O'Hagan who looks a real prospect and maybe with luck another returnee Luke Howard.

There are very few teams about with a dominant high-fielding full back and we could be doing with one, but in the meantime what we do have is a well-drilled defence that has proven itself against the critics and has options for improvement as the season goes on – which it assuredly will.

Is there an echo in here?

EC Unique

Quote from: Leo on June 01, 2010, 03:01:20 PM
Quote from: yellowcard on June 01, 2010, 01:46:56 PM
Tyrone will win this game quite easily and set up an Armagh v Tyrone Ulster final. That Tyrone forward line will be licking their lips at the prospect of coming up against that Down defence, which is one of the poorest in Ulster.

If we are setting the record straight maybe we should do so about the much maligned Down defence. While someway short of the finished article let's remember that this was the best defence in all four divisions of the National League. This is the defence that kept Michael Murpohy scorelss on Sunday and restricted to a single point from play earlier in the year at Ballybofey.

The defence has lacked a natural leader for some time but it does look like Colgan is growing into that role in his first real season of senior football. Garvey is competent enough at wing half and there are options to come back from injury including Duffin, Carr and, preferably, Murphy & Doyle. The main concern here is McKernan who is a good athlete but prone to lazy passes, rash tackles and going to sleep - again however he is a relative newcomer and this is the first he has played in a settled position.

This is the defence that let a 19 year old score 1-4 from play on his first ever appearance fot the senior team. This is also the defence that all stood ball watching while the ball bounced off the post and ended in the back of the net.

Well drilled indeed  ::)

extra time

western exile

And restricted Donegal to a total of 2-7 over 70minutes.  If Tyrone are kept to the same scoreline, Down will  win.

Orior

Quote from: western exile on June 01, 2010, 08:30:30 PM
And restricted Donegal to a total of 2-7 over 70minutes.  If Tyrone are kept to the same scoreline, Down will  win.

a) Tyrone wont shoot as many wides as Donegal did
b) Tyrone wont give the ball away as much as Donegal did

Down need an exceptional performance (which they are due to do).

Up Down.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

tyronechap

just off topics chaps

but im from england and wanna come over to game but dont no where the game is gonna be held was just wondering to anyone shed any light on when the venue is gonna be released thanks

back on topic

i think tyrone are a stronger team all round yeaa down have coulter but tyrone are stronger in all positions

the only thing that will let tyrone down is themselves like they have so many times

if the tyrone team that play good football turn up they will win by 5-7 points

Cde

venue probably wont be announced until the 2 teams of the other semi is decided.

I would say one semi in Casement and the other in Clones.

Tyrone v Down most likely in Casement

Aaron Boone

Cavan/Fermanagh don't play until 12th June, surely venue will be sorted sooner.

Orior

Quote from: tyronechap on June 01, 2010, 09:15:12 PM
just off topics chaps

but im from england and wanna come over to game but dont no where the game is gonna be held was just wondering to anyone shed any light on when the venue is gonna be released thanks

back on topic

i think tyrone are a stronger team all round yeaa down have coulter but tyrone are stronger in all positions

the only thing that will let tyrone down is themselves like they have so many times

Good man. Spread the word about our great game in England.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

stew

Quote from: Orior on June 01, 2010, 08:57:10 PM
Quote from: western exile on June 01, 2010, 08:30:30 PM

a) Tyrone wont shoot as many wides as Donegal did
b) Tyrone wont give the ball away as much as Donegal did

Down need an exceptional performance (which they are due to do).

Up Down.

Right up them.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

Gaffer

Quote from: hardstation on June 01, 2010, 09:26:49 PM
It's in Casement. There, I just sorted it.

May as well sort the rest now.

Armagh v Cavan - Clones.

Armagh v Tyrone - Clones.

Croker?
"Well ! Well ! Well !  If it ain't the Smoker !!!"

The Worker

Quote from: tyronechap on June 01, 2010, 09:15:12 PM
just off topics chaps

back on topic

I dont think Tyrone are any stronger than Down in midfield, and I think that the Down management will be more than happy if its open, attacking game like the games in Omagh and Newry '08...

Gaffer

Quote from: hardstation on June 01, 2010, 09:39:38 PM
Quote from: Gaffer on June 01, 2010, 09:38:57 PM
Quote from: hardstation on June 01, 2010, 09:26:49 PM
It's in Casement. There, I just sorted it.

May as well sort the rest now.

Armagh v Cavan - Clones.

Armagh v Tyrone - Clones.

Croker?
No chance.

Was there not talk couple of weeks back that Ulster GAA were considering a Croker Ulster Final?
"Well ! Well ! Well !  If it ain't the Smoker !!!"

goldenyears

Anyone that thinks this game is gonna be an open/both teams all out attack are crazy.
I think Tyrone disrespected Down in 08 over 2 games by not defending as they normally would + paid the price. Should Tyrone decide to play their traditional defend in numbers + drive out en masse from the back, then I think Down are in big trouble.
Down's team will change I think with 3 or 4 personnel changes + I have no doubt that James will remain defensive with 8/10 players behind the ball
He will have been gutted that Down conceded 2 goals and so easily last day out.

I do expect Down to give Tyrone a game but head rules heart + Tyrone should win by 3.

ONeill

I'm expecting a massive game from Clarke. Although he played well on Sunday past, he's capable of much better in terms of distribution and I wouldn't be surprised if he puts on a performance to confirm his quality. I can't see Coulter getting the chance to catch the clean ball he did in the last 20 v Donegal. 

Tyrone have more quality head to head from 1-15 but I think Marty may take the watching. I'd also be wary of McComiskey if he's left in the corner. He has the ability to skin Carlin or Swift.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.