Cavan v Fermanagh, Ulster champ 2010 1st rd

Started by mylestheslasher, May 30, 2010, 07:58:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maguire01

Has this not been posted yet? A bit of the brown stuff has hit the fan in the Cavan squad.

Omitted Cullivan quits Cavan squad

Cavan's Ray Cullivan
11 June 2010

Ray Cullivan has withdrawn himself from the Cavan squad after being left out of the starting team for Saturday's Ulster SFC quarter-final against Fermanagh.

Cullivan, who started in all three of his county's championship games last year, played a minimal part in the Breffni County's past National Football League campaign but was thought to be in contention for a start for the showdown with the Erne men.

However, with the recent return of ace forward Sean Johnston from injury, the 21-year-old Ballyhaise man was named among the substitutes when manager Tommy Carr announced his team on Tuesday and since that time has opted to quit the panel.

Cavan play Fermanagh in their provincial championship opener tomorrow at Kingspan Breffni Park (throw-in 5.15pm).

cavanmaniac

Par for the course in Cavan, where we have so many superstars with All-Ireland medals and a raft of achievements to their name that tantrums like this are simply an inevitable fact of life.

It's all set for Fermanagh now (who IMO have been hiding in the long grass anyway) with things clearly not right behind the scenes.

armaghniac

QuoteIt's all set for Fermanagh now (who IMO have been hiding in the long grass anyway) with things clearly not right behind the scenes.

Yous are probably like Monaghan.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Celt_Man

Quote from: armaghniac on June 11, 2010, 06:43:41 PM
QuoteIt's all set for Fermanagh now (who IMO have been hiding in the long grass anyway) with things clearly not right behind the scenes.

Yous are probably like Monaghan.

That is a disgraceful thing to say, I'm highly insulted - take that back!!
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

ExiledGael

This Cullivan story has given me a little optimism though a walkout didn't do Monaghan much harm last week. Cavan aren't the same type of unit though and it doesn't sound good days ahead of the Ulster first quarter-final. We definitely have nothing to lose here and if we hold Mackey and Johnston to a handful of points (combined) then I think Blobby, Rory and Quigley will get a matchwinning tally at the other end.
Agree about the tactical switches Fermgael mentioned, Mulrone will not be used to man mark and we had our fingers burned last year and Clucker will go straight to Johnston this time. Mulrone has been a chb for years now so I think a lot hinges upon his performance, it's a big step up for him and a real vote of confidence, or maye there's just no-one else.  :-\
Things have definitely improved since the league for Fermanagh but I'm still going in hope rather than expectation.
Chris O'Brien first goal and Fermanagh by four.

Maguire01

Quote from: ExiledGael on June 11, 2010, 07:18:20 PM
Things have definitely improved since the league for Fermanagh but I'm still going in hope rather than expectation.
What has changed? They haven't played any proper games.

ExiledGael

A few established forwards have joined the panel in Mark Little and Seamus Quigley, both of whom have been playing well at club level the last few weeks. We obviously haven't had any competitive games but we've actually won a few friendly games, and bar robbing Roscommon blind in the league, that's the only victories we've had since January. I'm hoping winning breeds a little confidence which could go a long way. We beat Wexford in the same week that Wexford beat Cavan in a warm up game plus Marty McGrath is fit to start a game for the first time this year. Something to build on.

haranguerer

Mulrone better not play chb - he was dire any time I saw him there in the league.

Maguire01

Quote from: ExiledGael on June 11, 2010, 07:45:30 PM
A few established forwards have joined the panel in Mark Little and Seamus Quigley, both of whom have been playing well at club level the last few weeks. We obviously haven't had any competitive games but we've actually won a few friendly games, and bar robbing Roscommon blind in the league, that's the only victories we've had since January. I'm hoping winning breeds a little confidence which could go a long way. We beat Wexford in the same week that Wexford beat Cavan in a warm up game plus Marty McGrath is fit to start a game for the first time this year. Something to build on.
For the record, i'd love to see Fermanagh win tomorrow. As long as they lose next time out!
I'm looking forward to having a look at Qigley if he gets a run out.

ExiledGael

Quote from: haranguerer on June 11, 2010, 10:14:55 PM
Mulrone better not play chb - he was dire any time I saw him there in the league.

I can't see where else he'd play him and I don't think there'll be a big change from the named side.

FermPundit

Quote from: ExiledGael on June 11, 2010, 10:28:24 PM
Quote from: haranguerer on June 11, 2010, 10:14:55 PM

I can't see where else he'd play him and I don't think there'll be a big change from the named side.

CHB is not his position but you're right, we don't have many other options. I'm probably on my own here but I would take Niall McGovern out of the subs and start him at full back and bring Shane Lyons out to CHB. The chances of this happening are remote though.
We'll win Ulster some day, not sure when.

ExiledGael

Has he not played there a lot at minor and u-21 level?
I'm still to be convinced by McGovern either. There's a lot of questions that will be answered tomorrow.

mylestheslasher

Quote from: Maguire01 on June 11, 2010, 10:22:35 PM
Quote from: ExiledGael on June 11, 2010, 07:45:30 PM
For the record, i'd love to see Fermanagh win tomorrow. As long as they lose next time out!
I'm looking forward to having a look at Qigley if he gets a run out.

Why, are you afraid Cavan will beat Monaghan ;)

ONeill

The most boring game of the championship. Will anyone watch it?

I would for Seanie Johnson. Probably one of the top 3 naturally talented forwards in Ulster.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

FermPundit

Quote from: ONeill on June 11, 2010, 10:49:37 PM
The most boring game of the championship. Will anyone watch it?

I would for Seanie Johnson. Probably one of the top 3 naturally talented forwards in Ulster.

No, of course not. The world cup is on.
We'll win Ulster some day, not sure when.