Creationism

Started by tyssam5, May 27, 2010, 11:32:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mountainboii

delboy

Quote from: AFS on May 28, 2010, 10:23:44 AM
Quote from: delboy on May 28, 2010, 10:09:58 AM
Thats common knowledge i thought, you don't really think we can stop it do you  :D one small volcano in iceland can virtually bring europe to a halt such is our impunity against the forces of nature and you think we can 'fix' something as big and as complex as the planets climate system  :D

Ok wind farms, generally speaking waste of time, the grid has to run at slightly over capacity, electicity isn't stored its generated as its needed, that means the guys that run it have to know when the electricty is being generated and how much, wind farms don't do predictabilty so they have to call upon the coal, gas and nuclear stations to be sure of the energy, the wind farms electricity will of course be fed into the grid as but it'll just be used to top up spare capacity as it can't be relied upon.
It adds insult to injury that we have to pay a premium for this less useful form of electricty generation, its a funny old world right enough.

What's the relevance of the effect of volcanic ash on aeroplane engines?

How do you figure that humans were capable of causing the problem, but are not capable of at least attempting to lessen its impacts? Either we're too insignificant, or we're not.

Never said wind farms were the holy grail. They're one part of a very big jigsaw.

That is an example of our impotence in the face of mother nature, its not about aeroplane engines but you knew that anyway, you might think we can 'fix' the climate i most certainly don't!

Have you ever heard of a little thing called the industrial revolution, kicked off in the 18th century, we've been burning fossil fuels ever since. Reducing our fossil fuel use at this point is just slowing the enevitable, you can't undo hundreds of years of C02 production simply by sticking green taxes on things and reducing (slightly) fossil fuel use. You can of course lose any ability to compete with others such as the US, china and india who are quite happy to keep burning it until there isn't a lump of coal or thimble of oil left.

Wind farms aren't even a peice of the jigsaw for the reasons i've explained. It needs to be dependable otherwise its next to useless. I'll reiterate my previous point, im all for the government raising revenue if its earmarked for research on 'affordable' energy production for the security of our future energy needs so that we can't in the future be held to ransom by the russians or some other state.
Its patently absurd to feed us the line thats it to save the world or reduce global warming etc, none of the money even goes towards trying to mitigate global warming its just an easy tax take, end off. 

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Quote from: delboy on May 28, 2010, 01:04:14 PM
Thats common knowledge i thought, you don't really think we can stop it do you  :D one small volcano in iceland can virtually bring europe to a halt such is our impunity against the forces of nature and you think we can 'fix' something as big and as complex as the planets climate system  :D

Ok wind farms, generally speaking waste of time, the grid has to run at slightly over capacity, electicity isn't stored its generated as its needed, that means the guys that run it have to know when the electricty is being generated and how much, wind farms don't do predictabilty so they have to call upon the coal, gas and nuclear stations to be sure of the energy, the wind farms electricity will of course be fed into the grid as but it'll just be used to top up spare capacity as it can't be relied upon.
It adds insult to injury that we have to pay a premium for this less useful form of electricty generation, its a funny old world right enough.

How do you figure that humans were capable of causing the problem, but are not capable of at least attempting to lessen its impacts? Either we're too insignificant, or we're not.

Never said wind farms were the holy grail. They're one part of a very big jigsaw.

That is an example of our impotence in the face of mother nature, its not about aeroplane engines but you knew that anyway, you might think we can 'fix' the climate i most certainly don't!

Have you ever heard of a little thing called the industrial revolution, kicked off in the 18th century, we've been burning fossil fuels ever since. Reducing our fossil fuel use at this point is just slowing the enevitable, you can't undo hundreds of years of C02 production simply by sticking green taxes on things and reducing (slightly) fossil fuel use. You can of course lose any ability to compete with others such as the US, china and india who are quite happy to keep burning it until there isn't a lump of coal or thimble of oil left.

Wind farms aren't even a peice of the jigsaw for the reasons i've explained. It needs to be dependable otherwise its next to useless. I'll reiterate my previous point, im all for the government raising revenue if its earmarked for research on 'affordable' energy production for the security of our future energy needs so that we can't in the future be held to ransom by the russians or some other state.
Its patently absurd to feed us the line thats it to save the world or reduce global warming etc, none of the money even goes towards trying to mitigate global warmings its just an easy tax take, end off.

So we do nothing just stick our heads in the sand pretend it isn't happening or that we can't (even in a small way) do something about it!
Sort of like what the unionists have been doing for decades.
Tbc....

eggy bread

The earth has also cooled and warmed umpteen times throughout it's history without man burning fossil fuels and doubtless will again in the future.

eggy bread

Quote from: Gaoth Dobhair Abu on May 28, 2010, 01:08:10 PM
So we do nothing just stick our heads in the sand pretend it isn't happening or that we can't (even in a small way) do something about it!

Earthquakes happen, volcanoes, hurricanes, meteorites - shit happens, no politician is thinking of the future generations with these bullshit green taxes, they are thinking of their own jobs.

mountainboii

Its patently absurd to feed us the line thats it to save the world or reduce global warming etc, none of the money even goes towards trying to mitigate global warming its just an easy tax take, end off. 

QuoteHumanity already possesses the fundamental scientific, technical, and industrial know-how to solve the carbon and climate problem for the next half-century. A portfolio of technologies now exists to meet the world's energy needs over the next 50 years and limit atmospheric CO2 to a trajectory that avoids a doubling of the preindustrial concentration. Every element in this portfolio has passed beyond the laboratory bench and demonstration project; many are already implemented somewhere at full industrial scale. Although no element is a credible candidate for doing the entire job (or even half the job) by itself, the portfolio as a whole is large enough that not every element has to be used.

Pacala & Socolow 2004 - These lads seem fairly intelligent and they seem to reckon we can have a good go at doing something about the problem. They even reckon wind power might be worth a look at. Seems a fair few agree with them too.

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Quote from: eggy bread on May 28, 2010, 01:11:39 PM

Earthquakes happen, volcanoes, hurricanes, meteorites - shit happens, no politician is thinking of the future generations with these bullshit green taxes, they are thinking of their own jobs.

Sorry can you tell me where I mentioned anything about green taxes or politicans?
Btw "shit happens" great response to a global problem.
Tbc....

Lawrence of Knockbride

Quote from: Zapatista on May 28, 2010, 12:33:54 PM
Did God not bury dinosaurs in in the earth to test our faith?
Ah Mr.Hicks, as relevant today as he ever was.

eggy bread

Quote from: Gaoth Dobhair Abu on May 28, 2010, 01:18:51 PM
Quote from: eggy bread on May 28, 2010, 01:11:39 PM

Sorry can you tell me where I mentioned anything about green taxes or politicans?
Btw "shit happens" great response to a global problem.

Sorry Delboy mentioned taxes somewhere, and there is as much scientific evidence to say that global warming incited by man is complete bollocks, as stated the earth has cooled and warmed umpteen times through its history and will do again - there just wasn't agenda driven scientists and politicians to cause mass hysteria on the issue.

gallsman

Quote from: Zapatista on May 28, 2010, 09:57:56 AM
Quote from: tyssam5 on May 28, 2010, 09:55:56 AM
Quote from: Zapatista on May 28, 2010, 09:45:06 AM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on May 28, 2010, 09:02:34 AM
The same Catholic Church that believes chowing down on bread and wine is ~ to the body and blood of Christ...

It's symbolic ::). The CC think cannibalism is a sin.
The CC is riddled with symbolism.

It's symbolic in other churches, in the Catholic church it is apparently the real deal, transubstantiation means you get the actual body and blood of JC.

So when Jesus did it at the last supper he was handing out his own body and blood? If you actually believe that catholics think they are dirnking and eating Jesus you are as mad as they would be.

Individuals might not believe it, but that's the doctrine.

delboy

Its patently absurd to feed us the line thats it to save the world or reduce global warming etc, none of the money even goes towards trying to mitigate global warmings its just an easy tax take, end off.

No we could shout at the moon and waste trillions of dollars on something thats enevitable anyway, or we could as i suggest spend the money on looking to provide new sources of alternative energy not to 'save the world' but instead to secure our future enegy needs when the cheap oil/gas and coal has gone.
From a huminatarian perspective if we didn't squander trillions of dollars (thats the estimates of what its going to take) trying to hold back the temperature rises by a decade or so at most and instead spent even a fraction of that money reducing human misery around the world right here and now the world would be an infinitely better place IMO, i know which way i would choose to spend the money.

mountainboii

Quote from: eggy bread on May 28, 2010, 01:28:49 PM
there is as much scientific evidence to say that global warming incited by man is complete bollocks,

This is simply not true.

Quote from: eggy bread on May 28, 2010, 01:28:49 PMas stated the earth has cooled and warmed umpteen times through its history and will do again

And what? No one disputes this. Well I suppose if jumping at massive, baseless assumptions is your thing, then I can see why you might think this proves something.

Quote from: eggy bread on May 28, 2010, 01:28:49 PMthere just wasn't agenda driven scientists and politicians to cause mass hysteria on the issue.
Heading into mental conspiracy theory nut job territory now.

Maiden1

There are no proofs, only opinions.

eggy bread

Quote from: AFS on May 28, 2010, 01:36:24 PM
Quote from: eggy bread on May 28, 2010, 01:28:49 PM
there is as much scientific evidence to say that global warming incited by man is complete bollocks,

This is simply not true.

Quote from: eggy bread on May 28, 2010, 01:28:49 PMas stated the earth has cooled and warmed umpteen times through its history and will do again

And what? No one disputes this. Well I suppose if jumping at massive, baseless assumptions is your thing, then I can see why you might think this proves something.

Quote from: eggy bread on May 28, 2010, 01:28:49 PMthere just wasn't agenda driven scientists and politicians to cause mass hysteria on the issue.
Heading into mental conspiracy theory nut job territory now.

There is plenty of evidence from reputable scientists to stipulate that CO2 isn't the cause for the Earth warming but due to the mass hysteria of the media on this most are referred to as skeptics and ignored. 

mountainboii

Quote from: Maiden1 on May 28, 2010, 01:53:26 PM
How did this thread end up being about Global Warming anyhow?

Climate change denial, evolution denial. Same shit, different debate.