WOT? No Antrim v Offaly thread?

Started by Hurler on the Bitch, May 25, 2010, 11:43:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

longrunsthefox

Quote from: Bogball XV on May 30, 2010, 05:08:55 PM
Quote from: longrunsthefox on May 30, 2010, 05:05:39 PM
Quote from: Bogball XV on May 30, 2010, 05:03:31 PM
1st hurling game to have more than 2 mins injury time in years - draw, extra time to start now - are offaly back to 15 men?

One of the stupidest statements of the year  ;D
there were 4 1/2 mins of injury time played, the norm (most common) in a hurling game is 2 mins, feel free to prove me wrong.

Do you have a record of the length every injury time played for 'years'?  Nonsense statement... you made it, you prove it  ;)

Bogball XV

Quote from: longrunsthefox on May 30, 2010, 05:33:23 PM
1st hurling game to have more than 2 mins injury time in years - draw, extra time to start now - are offaly back to 15 men?

there were 4 1/2 mins of injury time played, the norm (most common) in a hurling game is 2 mins, feel free to prove me wrong.

Do you have a record of the length every injury time played for 'years'?  Nonsense statement... you made it, you prove it  ;)
well, every intercounty championship hurling match on tv so far this year has had 2 mins injury time, the majority of inter county championship hurling games that I remember have not exceeded two minutes (hope to fcuk this cork game won't have more, though i doubt it).

Bogball XV

Quote from: Bogball XV on May 30, 2010, 05:44:28 PM

well, every intercounty championship hurling match on tv so far this year has had 2 mins injury time, the majority of inter county championship hurling games that I remember have not exceeded two minutes (hope to fcuk this cork game won't have more, though i doubt it).
balls, he went for 3 :-[

longrunsthefox

Your original statement said 'years'.... anyway, disapointing to see Antrim beaten. 

ONeill

Unlucky Antrim. Long wait now til the qualifier - late June/early July.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Bogball XV

Quote from: longrunsthefox on May 30, 2010, 05:56:25 PM

Your original statement said 'years'.... anyway, disapointing to see Antrim beaten.
I know it did, and whilst i don't have a written record, my recollection is that the majority of hurling games i've watched on the telly have 2 mins max injury time - i know i've posted on here in the hurling game threads about it many times.  (so we're 50% on 2 mins and 50% on 3 mins for the year to date ;))
Anyway, unlucky for Antrim, must be terribly deflating for them to come so close - i thought they had a better chance than they were being given credit for, though I thought that last year too and went to watch them get thrashed at the hands of dublin.

Hurler on the Bitch

Bottom line is that the heroics in the 70 minutes must have been down to the Dinny factor. He kept it low key and fair play the team almost claimed a scalp. Feck me though, I was 'watching' this on Aertel and was almost sure that we were over the line. I was looking at my watch at about 5.00pm and then an update came on RTE at half time in the Cork and Tipp game - what's his face says "and here's a bit of news .... Antrim (my head is going ... "have beaten Offaly") ... and Offaly have drawn with a last minute point by Offaly ........" FECK! FECK! FECK!!!!!! FECK! FECK! FECK!!!!!! FECKIN ... FECK! FECKIN FECKIN FECK!!!!
FECK! FECK! FECK!!!!!! FECK! FECK! FECK!!!!!! FECKIN ... FECK! FECKIN FECKIN FECK!!!!
OFFALY CNUTS!!!

Best chance in years .. I just knew that we couldn't hold out in extra time.. Not even gonna watch the highlights.. FECK!

ONeill

Should've buried a 4th goal just before though.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Fairhead

Was a soft enough free at the end but Shane McNaughton fluffed the lift. If he had got it in his hand and put it over the sideline it was over. However the point that was the most annoying was the short puck out Antrim took when they were 2 points up. Aaron Graffin went on a wee solo run instead of clearing his lines, got dispossssed and they scored a point. Terrible stuff.

Was a battling performance from Antrim and fair play to the players as they gave it everything for 70 mins. However they are just short that wee bit of class which is needed in senior championship.

Bogball XV

The fact that a team can go back to 15 men in extra time is absolutely stupid, why do the gaa persist in applying non-sensical rules like this?  Is it so that we can say we're not soccer?  There was controversy over this last year with some minor team was there, maybe it was to do with a lad getting two yellows, being sent off and then taking his place again when extra time started.
With extra time becoming more common place, it's about time they had a look at this?

Milltown Row2

The referee gifted this game to Offaly, he played 2 1/2 minutes over the injury time!!

was gutted for the lads, was a cracking game and as usual RTE showed fook all of the match, a partly 1 minute.

on that showing i left Parnell feeling better, what the players brought to the match was a willingness to compete for every ball, it was great intensity and a big improvement on the last league games.

we could argue over missed chances fumbles and the rest but i believe the referee played over the extended time and gave them a soft free to level it. he probably didn't realise there was extra time.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

laoisgaa

I was at the game myself, absolute cracker. Had to be the best display by an Antrim hurling team in the Championship for years. Couple of delays led to the few 'extra' minutes of injury-time - Shane will have to be kicking himself this morning though - simple error. Such huge criticism of the Saffrons this year - put to bed yesterday - hopefully they take a scalp or two in the qualifiers now.

Also what is it about Antrim hurling sides, Parnell Park and extra-time? - it happened Cushendall last year against De La Salle!

awfulynice

I wasnt at the match yesterday, caught the highlights on rte though...the last free...how are ye calling it soft...it was a clear free that had to be given. Go and watch it again if you dont believe me.

Antrim look to have been the better side for most of the game, its fairly obvious all offaly thought they had to do was show up. I can see them giving Galway a real go of it in a few weeks time as that certainly wasnt offaly at their best.

On a side note, great to see offaly have finally gotten rid of mullins, his heart has never been in it, and he should have been thrown off the panel for the bad example he has been showing for the last 5-6 years, thankfully dempsey done so well when he came on that I think we may have seen the end of mullins, 5 years too late.

Milltown Row2

that minute that you watched was crap.

Antrim deserved to win the game. laoisgaa the referee was fooled into playing for a leveler, the free was far softer than some of the tackles that went on during the match. suffice to say the had this happened in the 5 minute then it would have been waved away.

Mullins was poor no doubt and the lad that came on will surely start against Galway. on that performance Offaly will get hammered by Galway. Antrim to get maybe Wexford in the qualifiers and give it a go
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

downgirl

Great match by the sounds of it, would have been a great lift for Antrim and Ulster hurling in general.  Hard luck.