Tyrone v Down USFC Semi Final Sat 19th June

Started by Fuzzman, May 25, 2010, 04:18:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Main Street

Quote from: Puckoon on June 20, 2010, 12:57:30 AM
Quote from: Dubh driocht on June 20, 2010, 12:44:00 AM
The difference today was between the Loughshore and Ballygawley.While it is hard on the eye, Harte has the composure to smother threats better than anyone.He also has to take responsibility for developing cynical tackling (different men targeting, falling on players after you foul them, holding up play when the opposition have frees, putting hands up pleading innocence) which has now spread to children, as seen in the minor game. Three All-Irelands is a great legacy but Mickey do you really want your grandchildren arguing over whose turn it is to take the opposition dangerman out ?

That seems quite laughable - how many down players were on yellow cards?
Yes what he said has a rather blinkered view of proceedings, however I did note that much of the Tyrone tackling, (more so) in the first half was low quality, but for the most part the ref generally got it right and penalised the tackle. Quite often I was surprised at the absence of even the attempt to tackle legally.

I'd agree with O'Neill that Down were a total shambles in the second half, how such a team were just a goal behind all through the 2nd half was astonishing and certainly not due to the point scoring prowess of a shambolic Down team.

Out in Front

Quote from: thewobbler on June 20, 2010, 10:45:06 AM
They mustve been sharing cameras and editing with RTE as they also had some dreadful production going on. The 2nd half was littered with unnecessarily prolonged crowd shots and managerial shots.

The worst camera directing of a game in years. Why did they repeatedly show the peg on the ground after the goalkeeper had kicked the ball out. Also, for a second half that wasn't played exactly at supersonic speed, some cameramen seem to have difficulty at times keeping up with the ball.

sandwiches_in_the_boot

Quote from: Lamh Dhearg Alba on June 20, 2010, 11:08:27 AM
Super sub Dooher ??? ??? Oops.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-football/dooher-comes-off-bench-to-spark-red-hand-revival-2228170.html

QuoteDooher comes off bench to spark Red Hand revival

Maybe they meant the bench for the photo...  ::) Jesus that is some gaff and to put it in the headline. Is it in the print edition?

Dooher's some player though, scoring twice before he even came on!
"A cynic is a man who, when he smells flowers, looks around for a coffin."
H. L. Mencken

sandwiches_in_the_boot

Quote from: Out in Front on June 20, 2010, 11:18:32 AM
Quote from: thewobbler on June 20, 2010, 10:45:06 AM
They mustve been sharing cameras and editing with RTE as they also had some dreadful production going on. The 2nd half was littered with unnecessarily prolonged crowd shots and managerial shots.

The worst camera directing of a game in years. Why did they repeatedly show the peg on the ground after the goalkeeper had kicked the ball out. Also, for a second half that wasn't played exactly at supersonic speed, some cameramen seem to have difficulty at times keeping up with the ball.

Jesus did you see the Cavan v Fermanagh game on the BBC, now that was BRUTAL. Yesterday was actually an improvement on that shambles.

There's usually only the one set of cameras at the Ulster c'ship games, so i'd imagine RTE had the one feed.
"A cynic is a man who, when he smells flowers, looks around for a coffin."
H. L. Mencken

Archie Mitchell

Joe McMahon must be one of the most under-rated players about at the minute. His importance to the Tyrone team is as big as the likes of Cavanagh, Dooher, O'Neill etc. Joe would play anywhere he is asked and is the complete team player. His point yesterday also shows that he is a top quality player. I wasn't that impressed with him when he first broke into the team in 2005, but since 2008 onwards he is a very important player in the Tyrone team.

Also, Brian McGuigan showed he still has it in the game yesterday. No substitute for class. He makes things look so so easy. I doubted if he had a full 70 minutes in him, but yesterday showed when he was put on early due to O'Neill's injury he showed he could last the game in that heat.

omagh_gael

What is up with the papers today? The Irish Times report on the game is littered with errors too. With Rodgers score keeping Tyrone in touch, Joe Colgan playing for Down and Benny Coulter blasting a late goal chance wide. Lazy journalism.

http://www.irishtimes.com/sports/gaa/2010/0619/1224272913987.html

snoopdog

Down were rubbish yeterday and Tyrone werent much better.end off.
The only chance of Down reaching a QF is if we meet even worse teams than us.Wee james was clueless yesterday. Did McCartan do an interview after the game.
We will learn some painfull lessons in Div 1 next year.
Gutted after a round trip from Dublin yesterday.

omagh_gael

Mc Cartan was interviewed by BBC afterwards. Basically said that the spark Down played with for first 20 mins completely disappeared for rest of the game and that the team where continually sucked back out the field leaving them hopelessly short of options up front and this wasn't what they worked on in the lead up to the game. Overall seemed quite pissed off, understandable.

crossfire

Quote from: charlieTully on June 06, 2010, 06:45:35 PM
what about hanratty giving McKeever the slip to set up the goal, quality, how i laughed. i am going to have to get this grin surgically removed.

Tyrone removed your grin yesterday, free of charge :)

loughshore lad

Interesting game yesterday, great first half but dissappointing enough second.

A lot of talk after the game as ever about tactics, gameplan etc etc.  You can put in place all the tactics and fancy game plans you like but ultimately the teams performance is wholly dependent on the quality of the players at your disposal and their ability to adapt as a game progresses.

Tyrone are blessed with so many quality footballers with the temperament to match - McMahon's, Gormley and Dooher for example.  None more so than Brian McGuigan.  Many on this board questioned if Brian had anything more to contribute to Tyrone I think he answered that yesterday.  If this is his last year in a Tyrone jersey I would advise everyone to savour it because players of his calibre don't come round too often.

Carlin played very well yesterday and has been in great form for Tyrone all year.  Penrose is blossoming very nicely as well.

Tyrone Dreamer

Quote from: loughshore lad on June 20, 2010, 06:57:10 PM
Interesting game yesterday, great first half but dissappointing enough second.

A lot of talk after the game as ever about tactics, gameplan etc etc.  You can put in place all the tactics and fancy game plans you like but ultimately the teams performance is wholly dependent on the quality of the players at your disposal and their ability to adapt as a game progresses.

Tyrone are blessed with so many quality footballers with the temperament to match - McMahon's, Gormley and Dooher for example.  None more so than Brian McGuigan.  Many on this board questioned if Brian had anything more to contribute to Tyrone I think he answered that yesterday.  If this is his last year in a Tyrone jersey I would advise everyone to savour it because players of his calibre don't come round too often.

Carlin played very well yesterday and has been in great form for Tyrone all year.  Penrose is blossoming very nicely as well.

I know there has been talk of this being McGuigans last year but hopefully not. He showed yesterday he still has a lot to offer to Tyrone and if fully fit has a few good years left in him. Its hard to know how far Tyrone can go. If Monaghan beat Fermanagh it will be by far the toughest test so far in the final. Still think Tyrone will be hard to beat this year and would love a rematch with Cork at some point.

ONeill

I fall into the category who thought McGuigan was only good for a 25 min cameo. I was asked by some clown before the game if I thought McGuigan would ever start again for Tyrone. I replied definitely not. Clown. 
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

StGallsGAA

QuoteI was asked by some clown before the game if I thought McGuigan would ever start again for Tyrone. I replied definitely not. Clown.

I bet he was left red nosed!

Seany

The 2 McMahons are the best thing to have happened to Tyrone this last few years

Like the McENtees, they add strength and style to the team