Tyrone v Down USFC Semi Final Sat 19th June

Started by Fuzzman, May 25, 2010, 04:18:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

David McKeown

The issue of the preliminary round winners being the second last game was raised at our club a few weeks ago, apparently this isnt unusual and has happen at least once in the last 4 years.  The reasoning behind it apparently/allegedly is that it is considered more fair to the preliminary round winners as if they were to win the quarter final they would get an extra week off before the semi final which would be their third game in Ulster over their opponents who would be going into their second game.
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

sammymaguire

Fermanagh bate Derry in Omagh on a cold, wet and windy Sat evening a couple of years ago, that Saturday evening was grand lads  ;) couldn't have been better as I think the next day was quite nice  ;D
DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!

A Quinn Martin Production

Quote from: David McKeown on May 26, 2010, 02:54:59 AM
The issue of the preliminary round winners being the second last game was raised at our club a few weeks ago, apparently this isnt unusual and has happen at least once in the last 4 years.   The reasoning behind it apparently/allegedly is that it is considered more fair to the preliminary round winners as if they were to win the quarter final they would get an extra week off before the semi final which would be their third game in Ulster over their opponents who would be going into their second game.

If memory serves me right this happened last year??  Antrim did play Cavan in the SF on a Saturday night last year (7:00pm throw in too) and the Fermanagh/Cavan game this year is on a Saturday evening.
Antrim - One Of A Dying Breed of Genuine Dual Counties

drici

Quote from: A Quinn Martin Production on May 26, 2010, 09:11:50 AM

Antrim did play Cavan in the SF on a Saturday night last year (7:00pm throw in too) and the Fermanagh/Cavan game this year is on a Saturday evening.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDZBgHBHQT8

David McKeown

The issue of the preliminary round winners being the second last game was raised at our club a few weeks ago, apparently this isnt unusual and has happen at least once in the last 4 years.   The reasoning behind it apparently/allegedly is that it is considered more fair to the preliminary round winners as if they were to win the quarter final they would get an extra week off before the semi final which would be their third game in Ulster over their opponents who would be going into their second game.

If memory serves me right this happened last year??  Antrim did play Cavan in the SF on a Saturday night last year (7:00pm throw in too) and the Fermanagh/Cavan game this year is on a Saturday evening.

I wasn't sure about last year but it definately happened the year Armagh won Ulster from the preliminary round
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

omagh_gael

Conor Gormley is targeting Tyrone's Ulster SFC semi-final against either Donegal or Down on June 19 as his comeback game.

The Carrickmore defender has been sidelined since the middle of April when he sustained a knee injury while playing in a club game against Greencastle, and was a notable absentee from the Tyrone team which defeated Antrim last Sunday.

"I had a bit of a tear in the medial knee ligaments and it had been slow to heal in the beginning, but it's coming on well at the minute and I'm happy enough with it," he told the Irish News.

"I've been doing a lot of rehab with the Tyrone physio Louis O'Connor, including plenty of squats and straight leg running and hopefully I will continue to make progress over the next month and be available for Tyrone's next game.

"I'm itching to get back as there is no substitute for playing. I'm not a good spectator and it was hateful to be watching it, although in the heat I was glad to be sitting in the shade in Casement."

Taken from Hoganstand

Fuzzman

Come on Down the Price is Right.

So is it the red hand's turn this time or can Down make it two in a row 

ONeill

Always like playing Down. They bring a sense of grandeur to the occasion. Memories of '86 (won), 94 (lost), 96 (won), 99 (lost), 03 (draw, won), 05 (won), 08 (draw, lost) and a couple of others sprinkled in between.

Coulter might be a handlin and Clarke will player better.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Highlander3

Quote from: ONeill on May 30, 2010, 08:22:33 PM
Always like playing Down. They bring a sense of grandeur to the occasion. Memories of '86 (won), 94 (lost), 96 (won), 99 (lost), 03 (draw, won), 05 (won), 08 (draw, lost) and a couple of others sprinkled in between.

Yea Down Tyrone nearly always seem to play good games, the first game i was at in the early 80's was Down v Tyrone and we got hampered.

i think it will be a pretty open game, as both teams are better going forward

TacadoirArdMhacha

Quote from: David McKeown on May 26, 2010, 12:20:00 PM

I wasn't sure about last year but it definately happened the year Armagh won Ulster from the preliminary round

Think the only Saturday match Armagh had that year was against Donegal in a quarter final replay. The semi-final was against Derry in Casement on a roasting warm Sunday.

Did Tyrone play Cavan in the semi final that year? I have vague recollections of them playing each other on a Saturday which clashed with a U2 concert. Possibly a replay in Clones with Paul Brady being sent off?

Where is the Down Tyrone match likely to be played? Casement or Clones? Its the sort of match which the Athletic Grounds might hope to host in a year or two though perhaps it mightn't have the necessary capacity.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

A Quinn Martin Production

FFS Antrim would bate the pick of those two teams today out of sight.  Tyrone by 8....and yes, I am sore about the hurling today :'(
Antrim - One Of A Dying Breed of Genuine Dual Counties

ONeill

I've sorta assumed it's Casement. What can the Athletic hold?

TacadoirArdMhacha

Quote from: ONeill on May 30, 2010, 08:55:47 PM
I've sorta assumed it's Casement. What can the Athletic hold?

Athletic Grounds are closed for the Summer at least. I was refering to teh possibility of it hosting a Tyrone Down match in future years as it'd be ideal location wise.

Is Clones not another possibility? If not, Clones might only get 1 Ulster championship match all year.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

ONeill

Dubh driocht

Quote from: ONeill on May 30, 2010, 08:22:33 PM

98 we bate youse in Omagh too