Mayo team pulled from the All Ireland Senior football Championship

Started by Peter Solan the Great, May 24, 2010, 09:43:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mayo 4 eva

Heard from a good source from with in the camp what happened with this.  The manager was underminded when it came to training, tatics, game plans etc.  I believe the level of abuse was just despicable at times especially at training.  I think it says it all when you look at the number of managers the Mayo ladies have had in the last 5 years...... Think its up on 6 at this stage.  Am working with one of those managers at the minute, and he told me that he would never go back to it as the senior panel are just impossible to work with.
Very unfortunate as the ladies team in Mayo have given us some reasons to cheer in the past.

On another matter, does anybody know when tickets are being distributed by the clubs in Mayo for the Sligo game?  (Mayo by 3 after a close contest) ;D 
The Question is..... What is the Question?

southsidejohnny

Sligonian, the wandering minstrel that is obsessed with Mayo. Fair play to Johnno if he wanted to use a woman v Sligo, I wouldnt rate Sligo too hot. You have no objection to Alan Costelloe playing for you lot, Cora is still better than him, indeed the Mayo ladies in their peak would have beaten Sligo men....but that wouldnt be hard.

Celt_Man

GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

RedandGreenSniper

Quote from: mayo 4 eva on May 25, 2010, 11:38:32 AM
Heard from a good source from with in the camp what happened with this.  The manager was underminded when it came to training, tatics, game plans etc.  I believe the level of abuse was just despicable at times especially at training.  I think it says it all when you look at the number of managers the Mayo ladies have had in the last 5 years...... Think its up on 6 at this stage.  Am working with one of those managers at the minute, and he told me that he would never go back to it as the senior panel are just impossible to work with.
Very unfortunate as the ladies team in Mayo have given us some reasons to cheer in the past.

On another matter, does anybody know when tickets are being distributed by the clubs in Mayo for the Sligo game?  (Mayo by 3 after a close contest) ;D

It is that kind of loose talk that allowed things to develop to where they are at now. People ought to ask what sort of county board thinks the game of football is better served by pulling a team out of the championship, even though Mayo are among the top three or four teams in the country. This, of course, is the same county board that sacked Frank Browne in 2007 after he brought Mayo to a National League title, Connacht title and lost the All-Ireland final to Cork. It was Mayo's first final since 2003. Yet he was shafted. It put the Mickey Moran scenario in the ha'penny place.
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

Down South

NAG1

Maybe if the Cork Co Board had shown the same bottle that would have avoided that whole mess down there and put a few of the jumped up characters back in their box.  ;)

Peter Solan the Great

'Connaught Telegraph'

It could never happen, it wouldn't happen but it has happened. The Mayo ladies senior team will not be taking part in the Connaught or All-Ireland championships this year.

Over the past few months rumblings that relations were not great between the members of the Mayo senior panel, team management and county board would seem to have been a tip of the iceberg now that the unthinkable of the team being pulled out of the championship has been confirmed.

Who is right, who is wrong is the six-mark question? I suppose there will be many different answers to this depending on what side you are talking to.

But blame who you like, it should never have come down to this. The real losers is Mayo ladies Gaelic football and indeed, ladies football in general as with Mayo not taking part in the championship it will certainly take away some of the gloss of the ladies showpiece of the year.

For the past 10 or 11 years Mayo have been very much to the fore in ladies football where they captured four All-Ireland titles. Many of the players who were part of these great wins are still playing today. It is so sad they will not be wearing the red and green jersey in the championship this year. A Connaught or All-Ireland championship will not be the same without the likes of Clare Egan, Yvonne Byrne, Cora Staunton, Martha Carter, Fiona McHale, Emma Mullin or Triona McNicholas to mention but a few.
This scenario arose when team manager, Pat Costello, resigned six or seven weeks ago. According to a county board statement issued yesterday (Monday) it seems he was asked to reconsider his decision. Why it has taken so long to sort out the matter will no doubt be one of the many questions which will be asked.

The county board statement also states there were problems with players and the management and they were now going to sort it out once and for all.

The action they seem to be taking seems drastic and one would have to question their handling of this unfortunate situation which is sure to have a far reaching effect on Mayo ladies football.

The following is the statement released yesterday (Monday) by the board regarding their decision to pull the team out of the championship.

"The Mayo Ladies County Board wish to explain the circumstances which have led to our senior team being withdrawn from this years championship.

"At a meeting with the executive committee of the Mayo Ladies County Board on April 19, Pat Costello tendered his resignation as manager of the Mayo Ladies senior football team, stating that his position was no longer tenable due to him being constantly undermined by certain players within the panel.

"He had explained his decision to his panel on the day before.

"The matter was discussed at length at a full county board meeting on April 28. At this meeting the club delegates voted by 47 votes to two for Pat Costello to be asked to reconsider his position, and remove any players from the panel that he felt were undermining the progress of the team as a whole.

"He replied on May 16 to inform us that he would not be returning to the post. This reply was read out at a specially convened meeting of Mayo Ladies County Board on Thursday, May 20.

"The club delegates then proposed and passed a motion by 26 votes to five that we withdraw from this years championship in order to deal with this problem properly in the long term interest of ladies football.
"Last year's captain and vice-captain were kept informed of progress at each stage of this whole procedure.
"We hope that this statement clarifies the facts in connection with our withdrawal from championship. We are currently looking into the problems which have led to this unfortunate situation, along with other matters raised by delegates during these meetings."

All one can say at this stage is there are more questions than answers. These questions will have to be answered to the thousands and thousands of Mayo followers who have great support and help the promotion of ladies Gaelic football in the county.

The secretary of the ladies Connaught Council, Ita Hannon, confirmed to The Connaught Telegraph yesterday (Monday), they had received an email from Mayo County Board on Saturday that Mayo would not be fielding a team in the Connaught championship. Related Articles

Lecale2

Maybe a bit of over reaction from the Ladies County Board. Wemen can behave irrationally at certain times.

INDIANA

Woeful game in my opinion. I await now to be slated from all angles.

Zulu

Well that's your opinion but I think it is actually quite good and I know a few players and they are very talented athletes and footballers in fairness.

INDIANA

Quote from: Zulu on May 25, 2010, 09:43:58 PM
Well that's your opinion but I think it is actually quite good and I know a few players and they are very talented athletes and footballers in fairness.

Has some fine players Zulu but not enough to make it a spectacle in my view. Can't say I've overly enjoyed watching it. No doubt the likes of Cora Staunton are more skillful then a lot of male senior inter county players.

Blue and Navy

QuoteWho is right, who is wrong is the six-mark question?
Whats a six mark question? Has the $64,000 question been hit this badly by the recession? ???

rosnarun

Quote from: Blue and Navy on May 25, 2010, 10:39:57 PM
Whats a six mark question? Has the $64,000 question been hit this badly by the recession? ???
if you ever went to score you might have a few more Irish cultural references as opposed to 1950s American ones
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

spuds

Quote from: rosnarun on May 26, 2010, 01:22:58 AM
Quote from: Blue and Navy on May 25, 2010, 10:39:57 PM
if you ever went to score you might have a few more Irish cultural references as opposed to 1950s American ones
you know the Scór ?  :-\
"As I get older I notice the years less and the seasons more."
John Hubbard

Blue and Navy

QuoteQuote from: Blue and Navy on May 25, 2010, 10:39:57 PM
Who is right, who is wrong is the six-mark question?
Whats a six mark question? Has the $64,000 question been hit this badly by the recession?
Managed to get to a few Tra na gCeist finals in my time thanks RosnaRun, due in no small part to six point questions. God bless us it must be great to be infallible.