LIAM HANNAWAY HUNGER STRIKE

Started by funtime frankie, May 24, 2010, 04:24:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RealSpiritof98

I am a firm supporter of Sinn Fein strategy regarding the peace process, I believe that we are on the right road to an equal and shared society where all our children can live in harmony. Although everything with this powersharing agreement does not sit easy with me, its definitely a better option than conflict in the 21st century we live in. There is still a rotten core to the British establishment and it exists at the top level and I fear that the torys will recruit more RIRA than arrest, they are so young in my community its scary. A lot of the diss Republicans have been labelled scumbags, traitors etc by all areas of our community, but over this struggle for 500 years they are merely 20 years behind our Deputy first minister in their theory of thinking, why hasnt there been a mass offensive to try and educate these people and their young minds. I feel Liams situation needs to be addressed now and the Sinn fein leadership should show their people that they can still support a republican getting a raw deal irrespective of his back ground, we cannot walk on egg shell around the unionists on every aspect.

orangeman

Quote from: RealSpiritof98 on May 25, 2010, 10:33:51 AM
I am a firm supporter of Sinn Fein strategy regarding the peace process, I believe that we are on the right road to an equal and shared society where all our children can live in harmony. Although everything with this powersharing agreement does not sit easy with me, its definitely a better option than conflict in the 21st century we live in. There is still a rotten core to the British establishment and it exists at the top level and I fear that the torys will recruit more RIRA than arrest, they are so young in my community its scary. A lot of the diss Republicans have been labelled scumbags, traitors etc by all areas of our community, but over this struggle for 500 years they are merely 20 years behind our Deputy first minister in their theory of thinking, why hasnt there been a mass offensive to try and educate these people and their young minds. I feel Liams situation needs to be addressed now and the Sinn fein leadership should show their people that they can still support a republican getting a raw deal irrespective of his back ground, we cannot walk on egg shell around the unionists on every aspect.

Fair play.

He's still an Irish man.

A relative of SF leader Gerry Adams.

Dissident republican / mainstream republican or anywhere in between, we can't and shouldn't have any more Irish men dying on hunger strike in British jails.

We don't want history repeating itself. Something should be done about it.

orangeman

In all fairness, I suppose there are other more important priorities for the Justice Minister to attend to at the moment :

Injured police officers pensions to reviewed

David Ford announced the review after meeting the Victims Commissioners Pension arrangements for injured police officers are to be reviewed, Justice Minister David Ford has announced.

Some RUC officers injured during the Troubles have claimed their pensions are being withdrawn unfairly.

It is understood about 150 cases are currently under appeal.

Mr Ford said the Policing Board and the Department of Health and Social Services would be part of the "urgent review", with an initial progress report due by the end of next month.

"I will also want to consult with the chief constable to ensure that he is content with the service provided to his officers," he added.

Mr Ford was asked by the Victims Commissioners on Monday to examine the appeals process surrounding the pensions.

The company carrying out the assessments, Capita, has said the system is independent.

The cases have been reviewed as part of a regular reassessment.

Jim_Murphy_74

I A lot of the diss Republicans have been labelled scumbags, traitors etc by all areas of our community, but over this struggle for 500 years they are merely 20 years behind our Deputy first minister in their theory of thinking, why hasnt there been a mass offensive to try and educate these people and their young minds.

Each time a constitutional settlement is approved electorally these guys lose (a further) piece of understanding from the wider community and distance themselves from the 500 year struggle (where ever that figure came from).

The fact is that most non-sc**bag people realise that the majority on this island saw their vote in 1998 as one against violence (regardless of their views on every detail of the GFA). 

Hence they are exasperated as what can be done for these guys to stop their violent actions.  Hence f*ck all support for this toe-rag and his "struggle".   When the political and electoral repudiation is as overwhelming as it is now, there is no justification for their actions or even labelling of their actions as political.  Hence in my view these guys are criminals and not political prisoners and have no rights to have particular wings etc..

/Jim

orangeman

Quote from: Jim_Murphy_74 on May 25, 2010, 10:50:09 AM
I A lot of the diss Republicans have been labelled scumbags, traitors etc by all areas of our community, but over this struggle for 500 years they are merely 20 years behind our Deputy first minister in their theory of thinking, why hasnt there been a mass offensive to try and educate these people and their young minds.

Each time a constitutional settlement is approved electorally these guys lose (a further) piece of understanding from the wider community and distance themselves from the 500 year struggle (where ever that figure came from).

The fact is that most non-sc**bag people realise that the majority on this island saw their vote in 1998 as one against violence (regardless of their views on every detail of the GFA). 

Hence they are exasperated as what can be done for these guys to stop their violent actions. Hence f*ck all support for this toe-rag and his "struggle".   When the political and electoral repudiation is as overwhelming as it is now, there is no justification for their actions or even labelling of their actions as political. Hence in my view these guys are criminals and not political prisoners and have no rights to have particular wings etc..
/Jim

Thatcher thought Sands was a toe rag and a criminal.

All a matter of timing.

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Quote from: orangeman on May 25, 2010, 10:45:20 AM
In all fairness, I suppose there are other more important priorities for the Justice Minister to attend to at the moment :

Injured police officers pensions to reviewed

David Ford announced the review after meeting the Victims Commissioners Pension arrangements for injured police officers are to be reviewed, Justice Minister David Ford has announced.

Some RUC officers injured during the Troubles have claimed their pensions are being withdrawn unfairly.

It is understood about 150 cases are currently under appeal.

Mr Ford said the Policing Board and the Department of Health and Social Services would be part of the "urgent review", with an initial progress report due by the end of next month.

"I will also want to consult with the chief constable to ensure that he is content with the service provided to his officers," he added.

Mr Ford was asked by the Victims Commissioners on Monday to examine the appeals process surrounding the pensions.

The company carrying out the assessments, Capita, has said the system is independent.

The cases have been reviewed as part of a regular reassessment.

Yes orangeman, I see that the "fatman" has taken this up as his latest "cause" as well.
How much more money can we throw at "these" (police, UDR, reservists, widows, families etc...) people, while we have to start losing our nurses, home helps, care workers, binmen etc...
Tbc....

Ulick

How should they address it?

By visiting the prison?
http://www.sinnfein.ie/contents/18568  (14th May)

Releasing statements?
http://www.sinnfein.ie/contents/18414 (7th April)
http://fenian32.livejournal.com/5104932.html  (20th May)

Contacting the media?
http://www.londonderrysentinel.co.uk/news/Hunger-strike-can-be-resolved.6311557.jp (21st May)

Highlight the issue in their own media outlets?
http://www.anphoblacht.com/news/detail/39939 (20th May)

Just because the issue is new to you doesn't mean others haven't been paying attention.

orangeman

Why is it not on BBC / RTE / UTV /SKY NEWS ??

If he dies, will it get a mention ?

Ulick

Quote from: orangeman on May 25, 2010, 11:38:06 AM

The media outlets have their own agenda, the Irish News in particular has shown itself up again to be the PR wing of the Stoops. Wouldn't expect anything different from the Free State media.

One of Hannaway's problems is that he is not aligned to any of the main dissident groups. He's in on old CIRA charges but is known to have left them a long time ago, and he's disliked by those in that group and the RIRA.

funtime frankie

Ulick, why is he disliked?

If he is disliked then why does he want to be on the same wing?

Jim_Murphy_74

Quote from: orangeman on May 25, 2010, 11:00:06 AM

Thatcher thought Sands was a toe rag and a criminal.

All a matter of timing.

My point is timing:  The timing of the actions of these people post-GFA and it's overwhelming electoral approval, island-wide takes from the support/sympathy base these guys have.

/Jim

glens abu

Sinn Fein are working to end these conditions and support the prisoners.

There are thirty-two republican prisoners in Roe House in Maghaberry Prison living in appalling conditions and one prisoner, Liam Hannaway, has been on hunger strike in another part of the prison for the past month.

The prisoners in Roe House are being subjected to a regime which seems not to have learned the history lesson from the H-Blocks and Armagh Women's prison in the seventies and eighties.

The essential and important difference between then and now is that the prisoners have their own clothes, live in segregated conditions and there is no British government sponsored campaign trying to criminalise them.

That to one side there is a common denominator and that is the attitude of the prison administration and in particular the Prison Officers Association towards the prisoners.

Incredible though it might seem with all the political changes that have taken place in the last decade-and-a-half which has delivered new politics on this island the six counties prison regime remains untouched and behaves as if it is a law onto itself and abuses the power it has over prisoners.

The day-to-day life of the prisoners amounts to inhuman and degrading treatment by the prison staff.

The prisoners are held in practically 24 hour cellular confinement. The rare times they are out of their cells they are subject to controlled movement by prison officers.

Between 9am and 10am breakfast is available. Each prisoner, on his own, is forced to eat his breakfast standing in the canteen and each prisoner is strictly allocated 15 minutes each to do so.

This time limit means that not all prisoners get breakfast.

The same restrictions apply to dinner and to tea. The end result of this is the prisoners exist on a reduced diet.

The prisoners are also subjected to a time-limited rota when washing which also results in many of them not being washed daily or adequately. Some have decided not to shave so infrequently have they washed.

Under prison rules a prisoner is entitled to an hours exercise a day but the warders twist the rules to ensure there are barriers in place to block access to it. The prisoner is forced to choose between using the gym, having breakfast, having a wash, or exercising in the yard.

A deterioration of conditions led to the prisoners on protest damaging their cells including the cell toilet.  This has led to the situation where nightly the prisoners are pouring urine out of their cells underneath their cell doors. Their human waste is placed in a bag and left on the prison landing where it is collected by warders.

The prisoners are stripped search excessively especially before and after visits with relatives. A refusal to be stripped search – which means the removal of all ones clothes followed by a naked-body search – results in the prisoner being denied his visit and punished for disobeying an order from a prison officer.

Last Friday three prisoners experienced this treatment.

Warders also abuse prison Rule 23 which gives them the power to arbitrarily remove a prisoner they view as 'difficult' and put him or her in isolation. One republican prisoner was over a week in isolation as of last Friday.

These are the circumstances a Sinn Féin delegation met when they visited the prison last week to speak with the prisoners.

The five-person delegation, three are former political prisoners, included MLAs, Raymond Mc Cartney, Caral Ni Chulain, Paul Maskey and John O' Dowd  and Michael Culbert,  Director of an Coiste na Niarchimi, an ex-political prisoner organisation.

The delegation met Liam Hannaway and ten of the prisoners held in Roe House. The meetings were cordial and focused on the prison conditions and the background to the dispute.

The delegation also met the head of the prison service in the north, Magabherry's governor and prison staff. To all they stressed the rights of the prisoners must be respected..

They found the senior prison staff receptive to their views.

Resolving this unacceptable situation should be high on the agenda of new minister for justice David Forde.

It is welcome news that the minister has decided to carry out a review of the north's prisons beginning with Magabherry but in the short term the situation at the prison needs urgently resolved.

pebble-dasher

Hannaway is a suspected informer and this is a reason why he hasnt got the full support of the people the media and sf call dissidents.  He was suspected of gathering info on other republicans before the time of his arrest.  He is supposed to have signed legal forms to stop doctors intervention in the strike. 

No matter about his past, no man should die in this way and it would be a tragedy.  He is on 42 days and i think was transfered to the hospital wing yday in bad health.

orangeman

Quote from: orangeman on May 25, 2010, 11:38:06 AM

It's now on  BBC /RTE news etc etc - are they reading the thread ?  ;)

I don't care what he is or who he is, what kind if republican he is etc - he's still an Irishman dying from hunger in a British jail.

This can't be right. Surely there should be something done about it ?

As for him being an informer, if he was, he was and is certainly not on his own !

Down South

Quote from: Club Rossa on May 25, 2010, 09:21:51 AM
Minder,what about the beatings and the fact that they sometimes go 24-48 hours without food and days without washing.Do you approve of that too?

The above is absolute nonsense. Prisoners are fed 3 times a say and get a snack for supper every evening. Even the man who is on hunger strike will be offered food, probably better food than the others. Prisoners also have a toilet and sink in their cells, while a sink is not perfect for washing, it will do until they get access to a shower.
I think everyone of us need to ask why this isn't headline news. Gerry Adams brother was headline news for weeks/months over child abuse allegations, that are as yet unproven. His cousin has been on hunger strike and the first I heard of it was on a poster on a telegraph pole, I then read it here and only realised who it was. Why is this man being ignored? Why haven't the pro Sinn Fein media not taken up his case? Why is Adams not on his case? Is this even being reported in the Irish News?
Physical force republicanism has been sidelined by Sinn Feins acceptance of British rule in the north. I think they will wash their hands or Liam Hannaway as it reminds them of where they came from. Whatever happened to "Greater love have no man for his friends than to lay down his life for them."